Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-12-2013   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario "has no position" in Bills new defense

Mario Williams is a man of structure. His locker is organized and his approach to football is regimented. When it comes to his role on the field in Mike Pettine’s defense however, there is no defined role. And that’s just fine by Buffalo top pass rusher.

“I don’t know,” said Williams when asked what position he’ll play this fall for the Bills. “If I was going to be labeled I’d probably be labeled defensive end because of my size. But I don’t have a position.

LINK

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario "has no position" in Bills new defense

So they just move him around from place to place.
But I dunno, what happened with Mario and that thing about getting his ring back or the money from his X ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So they just move him around from place to place.
But I dunno, what happened with Mario and that thing about getting his ring back or the money from his X ?
There's a thread about that somewhere else. Let's keep this about football.
Old 06-12-2013   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's gonna get cut, LOL.

I doubt it, but the idea is just funny.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #5
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

So how did the interview with Mike Pettine go?

Mike, where will you put the highest paid defensive player in history?

I don't have a place for him.

You'll fit in perfect in the Bill's organization. You're hired.
Old 06-12-2013   #6
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand why the Bills would sign him in FA and they switch to a 3-4 defense and stay with it. The Bills fit a 4-3 and were semi-effective and only a few pieces away from fielding a solid defense but no...they had to go with a 3-4.

Seems to me, if you're defense sucks, rather than get better players everyone seems to think switching schemes in more effective.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

They had better figure it out quick if Mario is going to be the next Bruce Smith.
Old 06-12-2013   #8
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I don't understand why the Bills would sign him in FA and they switch to a 3-4 defense and stay with it. The Bills fit a 4-3 and were semi-effective and only a few pieces away from fielding a solid defense but no...they had to go with a 3-4.

Seems to me, if you're defense sucks, rather than get better players everyone seems to think switching schemes in more effective.
Switching schemes worked for us.
Old 06-12-2013   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Switching schemes worked for us.
So did replacing Mr. All-the-potential-in-the-world-but-extremely-little-output.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post

If the coordinator is any good he can make a defense work with that front line of Williams/Williams/Dareus. Their LB's suck but the secondary has some players in it, for what it's worth I think he's got about as much talent on the Bills to work with as he did with the Jets.
Old 06-14-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think Mario has issues repeating what his coaches are telling him.

Quote:
"He usually says, 'Kill 'em or hurt 'em.' That's what I always hear," Williams told The Buffalo News.

However, Williams took to Twitter to clear up Pettine's philosophy.

"The phrase "kill them" has never been said by Coach Pet or any of my coaches/teammates," Williams wrote. "I said it as figure of speech from "my perspective" not literally or any actual intention. Coach Pet has led us in an aggressive D since Day One. We've operated in a "beat them" mode this offseason w/a goal of mentally hurting the offense (future opponents) by being physical and disruuptive at the line of scrimmage & through any pass protection. Pressure, TFL, turnovers and sacks."
Old 06-15-2013   #12
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

he will prob play DE in a 3-4 I guess
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #13
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

People are reading this wrong. He said he has no "position" not no "place" in the defense. It means the coach is going to put him wherever he thinks Mario will do the most damage on any given play. 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE or even inside as a 4-3 UT.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #14
myktek2
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 myktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respected

would have been interesting if we had 2012 JJ Watt on one side and 08-09 Mario Williams on the other...
myktek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
People are reading this wrong. He said he has no "position" not no "place" in the defense. It means the coach is going to put him wherever he thinks Mario will do the most damage on any given play. 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE or even inside as a 4-3 UT.
Just as long as "his place" is stealing $100 million in Buffalo and not the "place" where he stole $54 million here in Houston.
Old 06-25-2013   #16
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 968 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected

The toys you can get with $100 mil. You think JJ sports a "What offseason" shirt while celebrating his new speed boat?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles...e-big-bad-wolf
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey... let's hate on someone that has absolutely nothing to do with us.
Old 06-25-2013   #18
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 968 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected

yea let's... you go first.
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by myktek2 View Post
would have been interesting if we had 2012 JJ Watt on one side and 08-09 Mario Williams on the other...
ironic how Mario didn't want to play the 3-technique but Watt almost broke the NFL sack record from that spot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
ironic how Mario didn't want to play the 3-technique but Watt almost broke the NFL sack record from that spot.
Jj Watt doesn't play the 3 tech. Especially not in a 3 man front. Smith does.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read