Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 33 28.70%
No 82 71.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013   #61
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 36736 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Except for the fact redskin is more akin to black than n*gger.
In your opinion as a NAI, what is more akin to n*gger?
Old 06-14-2013   #62
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91406 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

I'm half Indian.... From the Slap-a-ho tribe... I'm not offended by the Redskins name...
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
In your opinion as a NAI, what is more akin to n*gger?
Well you certainly supplied one I had never heard the other day - prairie n*gger. But that is derivative.

I honestly can't think of a similar for Indians, maybe you can supply some. Somebody will come up with one and I will go "duh" but off the top of my head, no.

Is this derogatory also?

Old 06-14-2013   #64
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go ahead and say what I'm thinking. "Get over it".

We can sit around debating which term is more hurtful or derogatory for as long as we want to but it's not going to change the fact that at some point in time you get to the "Time to get on with life" stage and quit worrying about what a football team is called. The Redskins are not rolling that name out every single season with the desire to be racist or hurtful and maybe it's time for the Native American portion of the eternally butt-hurt American population who have a problem with the name to learn to ignore it or even worse embrace it. It's a widely held belief that the best revenge is getting over something and going on to be happy in spite of it.

It's not explicitly racist today and today is where we live. Now. It is a name that conjures up the image of a Native American warrior to most. I'd warrant that for most people it is nearly interchangeable with "Braves". Words meanings change with time and always have. I have no way of understanding why someone who lives in this day and age would be offended by something that is overwhelmingly embraced in a positive way like "Redskins" is by NFL fans of that team. My family is of Scots-Irish origin and of course at some point in history the Irish took their share of grief from the English (and Americans) as did the Scots. There are as many derogatory terms for the Irish as there are for probably any people on earth and today it just doesn't matter. Life goes on. Get over it.

"Redskins" doesn't really matter either. Ok, it matters to a few but only because they won't let it go and choose to obsess over it and a past that nearly no one alive today experienced.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 06-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Well you certainly supplied one I had never heard the other day - prairie n*gger. But that is derivative.

I honestly can't think of a similar for Indians, maybe you can supply some. Somebody will come up with one and I will go "duh" but off the top of my head, no.

Is this derogatory also?

Navaho....

Remember in Young Guns Dirty Steve (Dermot Mulroney) kept calling Chavez (Lou Diamond Phillips) a Navaho? That was his derogatory term. I know it's just a movie, but it's a reflection of who we are, or who we were.

We've heard all the racial epitaphs for all ethnic groups in the movies. I've never heard Redskin. I've heard Red Man, but again, like you said its been more like saying "black man" or "Afro American"

Like I said earlier, I've been all over the country & I've never heard "Redskin" used like the N word. Never.

I've heard "prarie nigha" but usually it's "dirty Injun" or "filthy Injun" or something similar.

I'm not Native American, but I wonder if we've gotten to the point where Native Americans do find it offensive because they've been told they should.
Old 06-14-2013   #66
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Ottawa's new CFL team will be called the RedBlacks. Just saying.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl...194814880.html

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/
Old 06-14-2013   #67
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 36736 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm going to go ahead and say what I'm thinking. "Get over it".

It's not explicitly racist today and today is where we live.
I don't ever talk about it until it comes up. I don'y hardly think about it all because they're NFC. We play them this year in the preseason and I have no idea how much attention I'll give to it.

It's not explicitly racist to you, but it is to me. I don't expect you to care how I feel. Please don't expect me to care how you feel, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not Native American, but I wonder if we've gotten to the point where Native Americans do find it offensive because they've been told they should.
No one told my great grandparents, grandparents, and parents that they should, but they did. None of them ever told me I should, either.

But the people who called me and my family members names and spoke to, treated us with contempt? They did.

The people that beat and abused my family in the boarding schools? They did.

No one had to tell me it was offensive.

It's been my experience for people to tell me I shouldn't be offended.

This thread is a perfect example.
Old 06-14-2013   #68
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91406 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a big supporter of the Indian nation. Hell I give the Coushattas at least $2000.00 to $3000.00 every month...
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #69
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Navaho....

Remember in Young Guns Dirty Steve (Dermot Mulroney) kept calling Chavez (Lou Diamond Phillips) a Navaho? That was his derogatory term. I know it's just a movie, but it's a reflection of who we are, or who we were.
Are you trying to be funny? Navajos are the largest of the yvette Federally recognized peoples.

Sorry but Young Guns is reflective of nothing and you really don't want to get into a war of all the positive references to Indians from much earlier - Josey Wales and Ten Bears - Link
Old 06-14-2013   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
I don't ever talk about it until it comes up. I don'y hardly think about it all because they're NFC. We play them this year in the preseason and I have no idea how much attention I'll give to it.

It's not explicitly racist to you, but it is to me. I don't expect you to care how I feel. Please don't expect me to care how you feel, either.

No one told my great grandparents, grandparents, and parents that they should, but they did. None of them ever told me I should, either.

But the people who called me and my family members names and spoke to, treated us with contempt? They did.

The people that beat and abused my family in the boarding schools? They did.

No one had to tell me it was offensive.

It's been my experience for people to tell me I shouldn't be offended.

This thread is a perfect example.
Well, it's racist to you because you've chosen to see it that way. If I were you I'd get over it but that's just how I feel about things of that nature and I understand that you don't care how I feel.

The best revenge is of course living well and happily. Hope you can get over all the things that have been done to you and yours and see the world in a clearer light. If you've had a lot of people tell you that you shouldn't be offended maybe they're on to something?
Old 06-14-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Are you trying to be funny? Navajos are the largest of the yvette Federally recognized peoples.

Sorry but Young Guns is reflective of nothing and you really don't want to get into a war of all the positive references to Indians from much earlier - Josey Wales and Ten Bears - Link
No, not trying to be funny. I just think if "Redskins" was used as a racial epitaph we'd have heard it in the movies like every other pejorative. My point with Young Guns, is that what I've heard is pretty much what was said in that movie. It wasn't a particular word like "Redskin" but it was the way they said common words Navaho, or the adjectives they used for Indian.
Old 06-15-2013   #72
Yvette
Veteran

Quote:

The best revenge is of course living well and happily.

If you've had a lot of people tell you that you shouldn't be offended maybe they're on to something?
I live very well and I'm pretty darn happy, but not out of revenge. I've not ever liked revenge as motivation.

The only people that have ever told me I shouldn't be offended about anything related to ethnicity, have been Caucasian men. Weird, huh?

Take care and God bless
Old 06-15-2013   #73
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you've had a lot of people tell you that you shouldn't be offended maybe they're on to something?
Or maybe "a lot of people" just don't know WTF they're talking about? There's a lot of that going on.

Anyone of intelligence clearly understands that the term redskins was a racist epithat. It's not viewed that way so much any longer because...well they aren't that many "redskins" left. And while no one alive had anything to do the near annihilation of the native American population, I don't think it is something that should be dismissed as trivial and forgotten.

If the NFL changed the name to a native tribe, that could show honor and respect. They don't want to, because it would cost a lot of $$$ in re-branding. But, they should do it. Not because it's "politically correct". But, because it's just plainly the right thing to do.
Old 06-15-2013   #74
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

No matter what side of the issue you stand, this historical piece regarding Marshal, his issues, the team name and its related controversies is worthwhile reading.

Showdown: JFK and the Integration of the Washington Redskins
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #75
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Anyone of intelligence clearly understands that the term redskins was a racist epithat. It's not viewed that way so much any longer because...well they aren't that many "redskins" left.
Well or because racial epithet and racist epithat are two entirely different things. Black man is a racial epithet - it is neither positive nor negative. N*gger is a racist epithat (whatever that is).

By the way was "white men" or "whiteskins" a racist epithat back in the 20's and 30's? Last I checked there were still plenty of "whiteskins" left then and they were even in charge of Hollywood.
Old 06-15-2013   #76
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Or maybe "a lot of people" just don't know WTF they're talking about? There's a lot of that going on.

Anyone of intelligence clearly understands that the term redskins was a racist epithat. It's not viewed that way so much any longer because...well they aren't that many "redskins" left. And while no one alive had anything to do the near annihilation of the native American population, I don't think it is something that should be dismissed as trivial and forgotten.

If the NFL changed the name to a native tribe, that could show honor and respect. They don't want to, because it would cost a lot of $$$ in re-branding. But, they should do it. Not because it's "politically correct". But, because it's just plainly the right thing to do.
No, I think they have a point. I disagree with you almost entirely here and it's not from a lack of intelligence. I think you're off your rocker where you talk about the NFL not rebranding because it costs lots of money. The NFL would be fine with selling every Redskins fan a whole new kit of gear and the money they'd make from it would dwarf the cost to the team and league to change their name. It would cost no more (relative to inflation) than it cost Bud Adams to change from Oilers to Titans. The NFL would rebrand a team every year if they thought they could get away with it.

Nice roundabout way of calling me stupid because I don't agree with you on this by the way. The NFL should not change this name. Shouldn't even consider it or dignify the conversation with a response. What needs to change is the thickness of the average American's skin.
Old 06-15-2013   #77
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well or because racial epithet and racist epithat are two entirely different things. Black man is a racial epithet - it is neither positive nor negative. N*gger is a racist epithat (whatever that is).
You're trying to equate "Redskins" to "Black Man" pretty hard. "Black man" is a term that African Americans use to describe themselves. Don't think many Native Americans call themselves "Redskins".
Old 06-15-2013   #78
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You're trying to equate "Redskins" to "Black Man" pretty hard. "Black man" is a term that African Americans use to describe themselves. Don't think many Native Americans call themselves "Redskins".
Please be serious. Throughout time in every language which has ever existed peoples meeting each other have described one another with color references. Black man is not some term "African Americans" came up with to describe themselves. Everyone regards themselves as normal and describes everyone different.
Old 06-15-2013   #79
Lucky

Quote:

Nice roundabout way of calling me stupid because I don't agree with you on this by the way.
Not stupid. The term would be obstinate. You know that "redskins" was a racist term. But it doesn't bother you, now. Therefore, it shouldn't bother anyone. Are you denying that "redskins" is considered a derogatory term?
Old 06-15-2013   #80
Lucky

Quote:
Please be serious.
I am being serious. Please let's not be condescending. "Redskins" was never before used any any way other than derogatory until it became associated with the NFL's team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read