Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 31 29.52%
No 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Pretty sure the Redskins have been the team name since the 30's, right? Yet, it's becoming an issue 80 years later? PC my ass, just straight pansy-ass if you ask me. Then again, seems right for todays culture
Old 06-13-2013   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
If you don't identify as a Native in ancestry and culture, then your opinion of Native ancestry and culture doesn't count.
Ancestry is what it is. I can't change it and neither can you. Culture is what you live, so I can agree with that part of your statement. But I am descended from the Nez Perce tribe and that's just a fact.

Just so everyone knows, I'm resurrecting this thread the next time we have a "cornball brother" or "Uncle Tom" debate, LOL.
Old 06-13-2013   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
cak, no amount of spin will cause me to feel any different or think it's any less racist and derogatory.

Obviously, what I say and how I feel doesn't matter to the majority of you all either.
I have a significant amount of Native American's in my family tree - three of my four great grandmothers were either Comanche or Cherokee .... I got the dark skin (who needs sunscreen?!)..... with blonde hair and blue eyes. Im probably bout as indian they come off the reservation .... Maybe that explains why I don't handle liquor well.

The term while historically derogatory is buried so far back in the history of this country , it just doesn't carry much meaning to me.

Context would have to be taken into consideration for me , Im not offended by a word , rather how its used.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #24
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 16897 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yet, it's becoming an issue 80 years later?
It was an issue then, among many others, but no one was listening.

Natives were first declared US citizens in 1924 but were not uniformly allowed to vote until the establishment of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
Old 06-13-2013   #25
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 16897 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Context would have to be taken into consideration for me , Im not offended by a word , rather how its used.
Have you ever been called a 'skin, prairie n i g g e r, or anything like that? I have :/
Old 06-13-2013   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you ever been called a 'skin, prairie n i g g e r, or anything like that? I have :/
No , but then again Im a pretty big guy .... people don't tend to offend me to my face. Its detrimental to their health.

Old 06-13-2013   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been called a "cracker" before. First time I'd ever heard the term and damn near passed out from laughing so hard. Have a smirk on my face by just typing this. lol
Old 06-13-2013   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was an issue then, among many others, but no one was listening.

Natives were first declared US citizens in 1924 but were not uniformly allowed to vote until the establishment of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
Which means zilch to whether a mascot name is derogatory.

Fundamental fact - mascots are chosen out of RESPECT not derision.
Old 06-13-2013   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Which is why we don't have the Washington Liars or Washington Crooks. Or hey, now we could have them change their name to the Washington Snoops and put the NSA seal on the helmet.
Old 06-13-2013   #30
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Redskins owner Snyder came out just the other day and publically stated he WILL NOT change the teams name, it's gonna be interesting to see if that
solidifies or undermines support for retaining the name ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #31
Yvette
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've been called a "cracker" before.
I don't remember the Houston Crackers being a choice when choosing the team name.

Quote:
My factoid pointed out that hardly anyone gave a damn what Indians thought back then.

Thought I'd mention that I'm not debating with any of you. I have no illusions about changing your minds. I hope you all understand I'm not wavering either.

Anyone want to celebrate with me on the 24th? We can all raise a toast together lol

Never mind! I'm late. Citizenship was on 6/2/24.

Last edited by Yvette; 06-13-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Day late and a dollar short
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #32
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Which is why we don't have the Washington Liars or Washington Crooks. Or hey, now we could have them change their name to the Washington Snoops and put the NSA seal on the helmet.
Washington Liars has a nice ring to it actually!

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Washington Liars has a nice ring to it actually!
We really need something much more derogatory and offensive if we are going to go with a political theme .... Liars is much too nice a word to describe politicians.

Old 06-13-2013   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Redskins name was chosen as an insult. The original club name was Braves, then Red Sox and eventually Red Skins. They've always had some name dealing with Native Americans.

But I don't think that matters. If the term Redskins is seen as a derogatory name then I think they should at least consider a name change just to not offend anyone. If people aren't really offended by it, and no one cares, then leave it alone.

But if they change mascots I vote for a better version of this one:

Quote:
Without a doubt, one of the strangest college sports mascots has to be Scrotie, the unofficial mascot of the Rhode Island School of Design. The costume is unique and at the same time horrific, looking exactly like a giant penis wearing a red cape with the scrotum hanging beneath.

The school's basketball team is known as the Balls, and their slogan is, "When the heat is on, the Balls stick together." The hockey team is called the Nads, and their cheer is "Go Nads!" Scrotie was created to cheer on the Nads in 2001. Despite his status as an unofficial mascot, he's present at all the games and widely accepted by the student body. (Link)

Read more at http://www.oddee.com/item_96800.aspx...98jVl52RZEr.99
http://www.oddee.com/item_96800.aspx

Maybe they can have a female verion and name it Gina.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #35
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
We really need something much more derogatory and offensive if we are going to go with a political theme .... Liars is much too nice a word to describe politicians.
I think the Washington Redcoats has a nice ring to it. It's a minimal change to the existing name, so it should go over well with fans. Just gotta change the maroon to firetruck red.
Old 06-13-2013   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the Washington Redcoats has a nice ring to it. It's a minimal change to the existing name, so it should go over well with fans. Just gotta change the maroon to firetruck red.
I so wish I could rep this.
Old 06-13-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't identify as a Native in ancestry and culture, then your opinion of Native ancestry and culture doesn't count.
Really

My great uncle on my mothers side was a full blood Alabama-Cousha. So I know I've got alot of Native blood in my family. My Dads side has a few Native Americans in his family as well.

But I guess my opinion doesn't count because A. I dont agree with you. B. I dont dwell on these kinds of thing, unlike you.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Actually it does matter to me.

Not to me.

I think I'm a worldly man. I've been all over this great country, spoken to all kinds of people. I've heard or read just about every racial pejorative there is... or at least I'd like to think so. I've never heard anyone refer to anyone as a 'skin, I've never heard anyone denigrate anyone using the word "Redskin"

I've heard the pejoratives for Native Americans. Several of them. Never Redskin or 'skin.

To me, this is akin to me waking up tomorrow & saying I find it offensive when people call me a "Bad Mofo"

Now Redman.... I think he should change his name.
Old 06-13-2013   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

A little ot..... not the same thing, but kinda

What do you think about Uncle Kracker? Do you think white folk find that offensive (I'm assuming you're white folk).
Old 06-13-2013   #40
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They are chosen to sell jerseys. That's why there is a team called the Nads. It's not out of respect for Nads.

George Marshall bought the Boston Braves and changed the team name to the more offensive term of "Redskins" out of respect? Come on -- at BEST it's a draw as to which name is more inflammatory, and I'm pretty sure on a scale of 1-10 Redskin falls way further down than Braves.

BTW George Marshall was the last guy in football to integrate his team, even when they were a disaster through the 1950's. There's evidence that he was a major force behind the NFL's sudden resegregation in 1933, the year after he bought the Braves. He expressly ordered in his will that his foundation not spend any money on “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form." He made his "respected" coach dress up in Indian war dress for games. You think Belichek would tolerate that?
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read