Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2013   #61
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

When Kubiak was asked about Vonta Leach, he said you can always find places for good players. /they could roster 2 RB, 2 FB, 1 p-squad RB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #62
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

When Kubiak was asked about Vonta Leach, he said you can always find places for good players. /they could roster 2 RB, 2 FB, 1 p-squad RB
Considering Miami is the team most likely to sign Vonta at the moment, I wouldn't put it past the Texans to try to drive up the price of him. Miami is in the AFC afterall, and I think they will make some progress this year. They could be our first opponent in the playoffs next year.
Old 06-13-2013   #63
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, if Miami's going to get him & we're not, then let them have 'im in peace. He can beat up on New England's LBs during the regular season...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #64
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He'd have to be dying to come back in order to sign here. He'd likely be offered much less $ and splitting time with Jones. I think his agent was just throwing bones to the media
Old 06-13-2013   #65
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Considering Miami is the team most likely to sign Vonta at the moment, I wouldn't put it past the Texans to try to drive up the price of him. Miami is in the AFC afterall, and I think they will make some progress this year. They could be our first opponent in the playoffs next year.
I think the Texans are giving Vonta respect with their words -- he was much loved in this locker room -- and maybe a little leverage.

I'd be very surprised to see him here.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #66
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I think the Texans are giving Vonta respect with their words -- he was much loved in this locker room -- and maybe a little leverage.

I'd be very surprised to see him here.
Spot on.
Subterfuge, administered out of respect for Leach mind you, may be the operative word here.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #67
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He'd have to be dying to come back in order to sign here. He'd likely be offered much less $ and splitting time with Jones. I think his agent was just throwing bones to the media
I think we used a fullback on 35% of offensive snaps last year, so I doubt they would bother splitting time between him and Jones. It's one or the other. I don't know how much, if any, guaranteed money Jones got with his deal, but if it's low, then there's a chance we bring in Vonta. I personally don't think it's worth it, unless Jones gets injured before Vonta signs elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2013   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Listening to Kubiak talk about possibly adding Leach, it sounds like he'd try to use some two FB sets.

My guess is that in lieu of some of the 3 TE sets that we have seen, he'd use a 2nd FB in the backfield.

Even if it's just a RZ and short yardage package, I think that's enough snaps if you have two good players like that. Also could be used as a grind the clock package when you're nursing a lead.

I really wouldn't expect Kubiak to be the coach to do it, but you could get creative with your short yardage plays. Play action would still be an option because Jones can catch and run a bit if teams loaded up too much for the run. Plus you'd still have OD in the game and either another WR, or another TE.

I'd force teams hands. I'd call it the Fucc U, STOP US formation. I'd run right behind Brandon Brooks in short yardage. Leach leading Greg Jones into the Hole, and Jones leading Arian into the hole.

Oh man...You could have all kinds of counters...You could even hand the ball off to Jones sometimes as a change-up with Leach leading the way.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #69
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If either Jones or Leach were younger and were willing to contribute heavy on ST or if Jones could be kind of a hybrid TB/FB type then it might be possible, but I just can't see it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think we used a fullback on 35% of offensive snaps last year, so I doubt they would bother splitting time between him and Jones. It's one or the other. I don't know how much, if any, guaranteed money Jones got with his deal, but if it's low, then there's a chance we bring in Vonta. I personally don't think it's worth it, unless Jones gets injured before Vonta signs elsewhere.
Jones’ $1 million deal includes $400,000 in guarantees, including a $160,000 signing bonus.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's always good to have depth at any position.

We had Clutts sitting on the bench until garbage time last year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #72
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach is going to demand too much. I just can't see us signing him, as many have pointed out.

He's a FB...a position that's slowly dying away in the NFL.
Old 06-13-2013   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Jones’ $1 million deal includes $400,000 in guarantees, including a $160,000 signing bonus.

I believe it is only $240,000 guaranteed (Signing Bonus + $80k of base).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #74
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Jones in theory is the better runner but he hasn't received any significant carries in 6 years.

Jones has been considered an excellent lead blocker but the best? You would think he would have some sort of pro-bowl or all-pro accolades and he has none.
Theoretically, let's say you wanted Leach, and you didn't mind 2 quality FBs because you know what sorts of players they are. You also know the struggles you had with an inexperienced line last year with no true fullback.

So how would you do it?

Maybe you decide that you aren't blown away by your UDFA RBs. Mostly guys smaller than your normal 3 down Texans running back.

So you go Foster/Tate 1 & 2. And then go FB as your 3rd back. Jones could be that guy. And you put a UDFA on p-squad.

You hope your 3rd RB doesn't get that many carries, and you get the benefit of two quality FBs in case one gets hurt. Yeah, FB doesn't get many snaps, but neither does 3rd RB in the ideal world.

And you'd have two fast bruisers you could potentially use for ST if you wanted.

I'm not saying that is ideal. Trend is to use no roster space on FBs. And you don't want to use much money on FB either, especially when it is dear.

Just trying to figure out why you might be inclined to do this and if so how would you structure your roster.

I still think that they aren't really after him but being respectful to him, and throwing him a bone to get more interest in him from others.
Old 06-13-2013   #75
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
If either Jones or Leach were younger and were willing to contribute heavy on ST or if Jones could be kind of a hybrid TB/FB type then it might be possible, but I just can't see it.
Leach played ST last time he was here.
Old 06-13-2013   #76
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Paying two FB's in todays NFL world would be a disaster. Stop all this offseason mental masturbation over a marginal position and concentrate on real positions of weakness like DT, ILB and RT. I'd rather see Eric Winston line up at RT than Leach at FB. That includes passing downs and distances. RT should be more of a concern than FB at this stage of the game. Leach is just a "name" that we are familiar with but should be considered less of an improvement at a position than Winston.
Old 06-13-2013   #77
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Leach played ST last time he was here.
You're right, I remember him contributing for us on ST but I don't recall seeing him on any Baltimore ST. Could have overlooked seeing him, but I can't remember him being on any for them. Factor in 2 additional years of banging and you have to wonder how willing and effective he would be doing it here now.

I'm honestly 50/50 on the idea. If Jones at his older age gets knicked up or injured then we'd be limited offensively especially in the RZ. I see potential benefits with it, but I'd personally rather use that roster spot on another position.

Last edited by Texn4life; 06-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2013   #78
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Wasn't Leach a ST standout while here?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #79
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wasn't Leach a ST standout while here?
Read one post above you.
Old 06-14-2013   #80
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Why the hell is Kubiak spending any time on our FB situation when we've already signed a very competent player in Jones to handle that position ? He should instead direct his attention on much important personnel issues like at RT and LB (both inside and outside) ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read