Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2013   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Mandatory Minicamp 6/11-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Day 2 and I'm already tired of reading about Reed...and I like the guy. Gonna be a long preseason.
^^^ This.

I skipped over his whole interview.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Not much news coming out of Texans minicamp today. Another day for young guys. Ed Reed swung by at the end of practice to watch.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
"I think our young guys have probably come as far this offseason as we've ever had a young group come." - Gary Kubiak. #texans #texanstalk

Gary Kubiak said that he is just so impressed with DJ Swearinger. Said he plays with just so much confidence. #texans #texanstalk

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #23
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate that I have to ask this but with Reed's injury situation and working with the unknown....*sighs*

Who is working behind Swearinger? If it is Keo is he at least looking slightly better? He was rather slow to react in the past so hoping he is making some sort of reads/adjustments out there because the 3rd safety is rather important unless they are going to use one of the corners in that spot for the sub/dime instead.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I hate that I have to ask this but with Reed's injury situation and working with the unknown....*sighs*

Who is working behind Swearinger? If it is Keo is he at least looking slightly better? He was rather slow to react in the past so hoping he is making some sort of reads/adjustments out there because the 3rd safety is rather important unless they are going to use one of the corners in that spot for the sub/dime instead.
Keo is running with the first team I believe.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #25
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum's reps described as "automatic."

Quote:
Head coach Gary Kubiak used the word “automatic” to describe how Keenum’s reps are this year. Keenum agreed.

“There’s certain things from play calls to just knowing progressions on routes that I don’t have to grind out and think through every time I hear a play call,” Keenum said. “It just automatically comes and I can think more about defenses and keys and what I need to be thinking about instead of just, ‘OK I’ve got this footwork, I’ve got this route, this guy’s got this, this.’ I just know it.”
Link.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Question: Does it look like any of the 3 UDFA RB's or Deji Karim rising to the top and separating themselves from the other RB's, or is it too early to tell anything?
Today Kubiak talked a bit about it.

Said that it is hard to eval RB/FB without pads on but that he's happy with things he is seeing.

As it relates to RB, it comes down to being able to pass pro, help with special teams too.
Old 06-12-2013   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Keo is running with the first team I believe.
Eddie Pleasant getting some time too.

Manning looks ripped, BTW.
Old 06-12-2013   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Not much news coming out of Texans minicamp today. Another day for young guys. Ed Reed swung by at the end of practice to watch.

"I think our young guys have probably come as far this offseason as we've ever had a young group come." - Gary Kubiak. #texans #texanstalk

Gary Kubiak said that he is just so impressed with DJ Swearinger. Said he plays with just so much confidence. #texans #texanstalk
Y'all think this might be related to actually having a rookie camp this year? I do
Old 06-12-2013   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Not so much a question, but a progress report on Keenum since he's getting extra reps this week.

And the OLB situation with Braman. He didn't garner much attention after day 2 last week, so I'm assuming the experiment won't last much longer.
Keenum looks better than last year. More comfortable, knowing where the ball goes.

Despite what some fluffy reports said last year, he did not look like a world beater last year.

That he knows where the ball goes is A Good Thing.

But minicamp isn't 100% tempo, and no real pass rush. Keenum's bigger tests will likely happen during the preseason.

As for Braman, just because you haven't heard about a guy doesn't mean anything usually about that guy other than some media member didn't ask about him. Berman I think is doing a big interview with him tonight, asked a Braman question or two. Kubiak very complimentary.

To me, Braman looks good...looking forward to seeing what he does in preseason.
Old 06-12-2013   #30
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Y'all think this might be related to actually having a rookie camp this year? I do
Yep. Also think that Hopkins/Swearinger are pretty impressive players.
Old 06-12-2013   #31
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
^^^ This.

I skipped over his whole interview.
Don't blame Reed. Reed just answering questions...some assuming bad motives.

My write up on the essential Ed Reed info for fans.

Basically, I focus on the stuff you want to know with a little commentary.

Personally, I think some of the hype about Reed getting one over on the Texans etc is overblown. It's a curiosity, and talk show thing but bygones. I think he is just an experienced player, coming off a long season so you are going to feel a bit dinged up, had a thorough physical that missed a slight labrum tear. Once he started really working out in earnest, it stuck with him, they checked it out, decided on surgery now.

He doesn't want to set a timetable for return because he is in middle of rehab process, hopes for no setbacks. Which is a totally reasonable point of view.

Nice to see him come out for 2nd day of minicamp to watch the young players.
Old 06-12-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Reed didn't tell the Texans about his hip and the Texans doctors foolishly didn't run a MRA despite a previous injury to Reeds other hip. Looks like Dr. Lowe and crew screwed the pooch on another one. (Not that I blame Reed for not being truthful.)
  1. I believe CnD said an MRI wouldn't have revealed what they found anyway. Should have done an MRA for the hip. Whether they screwed up & ordered an MRI instead of an MRA, I don't know.
  2. I still don't believe this would have stopped the Texans from signing him, or warranted a smaller contract. If Ed wanted to retire, that was out there & we needed to offer him enough money to make him not want to retire. We're not necessarily looking for an "upgrade" to Glover Quin. Ed Reed won't be used the way we used Quin. We wanted some "street creds" over the deep middle. Reed should still be able to provide that for us.
Old 06-12-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Can you ask him what's his opinion of the Patriots signing Tebow? Will we alter our game plan any when we face them because of that?

j/k

Old 06-12-2013   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Can you ask him what's his opinion of the Patriots signing Tebow? Will we alter our game plan any when we face them because of that?

j/k

Actually, I've been meaning to ask him about defense preparing against pistol/spread. Green Bay consulted in the off-season to figure out how to defend against pistol better.
Old 06-12-2013   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

On radio this morning I heard Kubiak say today was to see how mental was not so much physical. Over all I am well pleased with what we know especially if Newton, B. Williams, Cushing and Reed are healthy by game one. Posey coming back early would be gravy for the chicken.
Old 06-12-2013   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't blame Reed. Reed just answering questions...some assuming bad motives.
Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. I hoping for a good year or so out of him. I expect Wade to be able to use him to improve our D while Swearinger comes up to speed.

But... I'm not even in Houston and don't get Texans info anywhere but the net and I'm already over-exposed on Reed's hip.

I don't blame Reed for that. I don't really blame anyone for that, actually. Media's going to report on the stuff they think people want to hear about or what they think might lead to some sort of controversy.

I'm just going to skip over that stuff for now to save myself irritation at reading the same things over and over.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Said that it is hard to eval RB/FB without pads on but that he's happy with things he is seeing.

As it relates to RB, it comes down to being able to pass pro, help with special teams too.
Can you ask Kubiak if there if there has been any discussion about trying Brennan Willams at Guard...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Who in the world would describe an UDFA QB as a world beater in his rookie camp, what I want to know.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"I wouldn't say I feel like a vet, maybe a 2nd or 3rd year player" - DJ Swearinger on how he feels during practices. #texanstalk

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Gary Kubiak on DJ Swearinger: “He sure has handled himself like a 2nd-/3rd-year guy. I think he’s gonna be a big contributor early.”

Gary Kubiak said WRs Lestar Jean, Keshawn Martin have “had really good offseasons. They’re pushing to play very quickly.” #Texans

Undrafted rookie OLB Willie Jefferson has generated some buzz this spring. Raw pass rusher drawing comparisons from coaches to Bryan Braman
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
"I wouldn't say I feel like a vet, maybe a 2nd or 3rd year player" - DJ Swearinger on how he feels during practices. #texanstalk

[/b]
And that's with a 28 Wonderlic...........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read