Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2013   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 268618 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm sure you're correct with the numbers 'cak but I'm not sure exactly how much Vonta being gone brought to bear there. As has been discussed here on occasion Arian seemed to go down after insignificant contact and I know by watching that he sure did slip and go down significantly with no contact whatsoever.

Sure would like to see him take the rushing crown again and it appears he's noticed the same drop off, thus his self pronounced "re dedication".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Don't forget an upset on the OL. RG and RT had a pretty major impact on Foster's productivity.
Wrong year guys. The years I referenced were 2010 and 2011. Brisiel and Winston left after 2011 so the OL was the same.

The going down talk didn't start until 2012 - often followed by someone making a vegan crack.
Old 06-11-2013   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wrong year guys. The years I referenced were 2010 and 2011. Brisiel and Winston left after 2011 so the OL was the same.

The going down talk didn't start until 2012 - often followed by someone making a vegan crack.
Regardless, I still stand by my opinion. I do not want Leach back in a Texans uniform. I have nothing to back that up. I don't pretend to.
Old 06-11-2013   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Regardless, I still stand by my opinion. I do not want Leach back in a Texans uniform. I have nothing to back that up. I don't pretend to.
At least you're honest about you're hatred for Vonta. Kudos for that.

I think he would be an upgrade over Greg Jones which really, was an upgrade over James Casey (who I liked a lot). Casey gave the Texans a few more options but at the end of the day, as you stated "wasn't a true Fullback".

*EDIT*
OTOH isn't Jones younger than Leach?? That's a factor to consider, too.
Old 06-11-2013   #44
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. They worked together roughly just a little more then 1 season, which doesn't seem like a whole lot to judge on. Arian did have his best season w/ Leach at the lead but Arian continued to produce pretty well once Leach was gone & actually slightly outproduced Ray Rice in yards over the last 2 seasons who had Leach leading the way for him.

I like Leach, but I think Jones has a bit more to offer if he can stay healthy. Jones has been considered the best FB in the past & having been a former tailback in college & having filled in for MJD in the past in a pinch, I think his physical capabilities outweigh Leach's in terms of being able to run & catch the ball. Jones seemed to be limited in an absolutely horrible offense in Jax, but he still led MJD to being amongst the best despite MJD being the focus of every defense they faced.

Leach may overvalue his skills, which means his price tag will reflect it IMO. I can't see the Texans ditching Jones or stashing Leach on the bench, so I believe Leach may have to look elsewhere for employment. At least he got a ring...
Yeah but that was foster best season, not to mention his YPC was at his career high. I dont care i think Jones is a beast, i mean the guy is stout and i have no doubt he can crack some heads and clear running lanes for foster. Jones is the only reason i dont really care, but if not for jones then yes leach would def be needed.
Old 06-11-2013   #45
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

I think he would be an upgrade over Greg Jones which really, was an upgrade over James Casey (who I liked a lot). Casey gave the Texans a few more options but at the end of the day, as you stated "wasn't a true Fullback".

*EDIT*
Yeah well they didnt use casey like they should of IMO. He could of done so much especially if they had thrown it to him more out of the back field, but alomst like when we only had O.D at TE and 1 FB in the game in NE, Kubiak wasnt smart enough to put in our back up FB off the bench and use casey as the other TE. His lack of creativeness is my biggest negative against kubiak.
Old 06-11-2013   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 268618 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Basically the same. Jones is a half a year older than Leach.

FTR I am completely excited by picking up Jones - excellent addition.
Old 06-11-2013   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

*EDIT*
I don't hate Leach. I think he's a good player. I'm just funny about some things. I'm glad Mario Williams left due to FA and butt hurt that Leach did. Leach is a productive player that could help us win. Williams is a slug that was a drain on the team that added drag due to the hype that he had "potential" to be a superstar player. My opinion in this is anything but scientific or even well thought out. It's more like my feelings are hurt and I'm mad.
Old 06-11-2013   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Basically the same. Jones is a half a year older than Leach.

FTR I am completely excited by picking up Jones - excellent addition.
Actually, I was totally stoked with the Jones "pick-up"
Old 06-11-2013   #49
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually, I was totally stoked with the Jones "pick-up"
I'm happy with the Jones pick up and absolutely stoked about the guy in your sig. Hopkins is gonna be a beast for years to come.
Old 06-11-2013   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I don't hate Leach. I think he's a good player. I'm just funny about some things. I'm glad Mario Williams left due to FA and butt hurt that Leach did. Leach is a productive player that could help us win. Williams is a slug that was a drain on the team that added drag due to the hype that he had "potential" to be a superstar player. My opinion in this is anything but scientific or even well thought out. It's more like my feelings are hurt and I'm mad.
Hey man... I totally hear you about Mario leaving but Fullbacks are a dying breed in the League. Eff it, Vonta made a smart decision for himself (and family) by signing with Baltimore BUT he would never,........ EVER get another deal like that again...

Quit bein "mad"................ Think about winning brother!!

Is it Jones? Or is it Leach at Fullback that gives us a better chance to win???

As you pointed out, they are basically the same age, yes? Well, out of the two, who is more in-tune with the offense??
Old 06-11-2013   #51
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yep - if Leach was totally unconcerned about how much he makes, he'd still be with the Ravens.
If Leach was totally unconcerned about how much he makes, he'd still be with the TEXANS!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #52
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hey man... I totally hear you about Mario leaving but Fullbacks are a dying breed in the League. Eff it, Vonta made a smart decision for himself (and family) by signing with Baltimore BUT he would never,........ EVER get another deal like that again...

Quit bein "mad"................ Think about winning brother!!

Is it Jones? Or is it Leach at Fullback that gives us a better chance to win???

As you pointed out, they are basically the same age, yes? Well, out of the two, who is more in-tune with the offense??
I hear ya, man. I still have heartburn, though. Like I said earlier, I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions. I would probably make the wrong one in this case. I just have my mad on and can't seem to get over it.
Old 06-12-2013   #53
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones in theory is the better runner but he hasn't received any significant carries in 6 years.

Jones has been considered an excellent lead blocker but the best? You would think he would have some sort of pro-bowl or all-pro accolades and he has none.
I want to say it was profootball focus who ranked Jones as one of if not the best blocking FB in the past. It had to be prior to 2010 because he has been ranked top 3 by them since 2010. I guess I should've said he was ranked as one of the best in the past as opposed to the best, but I still believe it stands true. Either way, Jones is considered a very good FB in his own right & has been for quite some time. Jones' name as been amongst the best longer then Leach's once you consider that Leach was basically unheard of prior to Arian's rise & Leach was the lead blocker for one of the worst rushing attacks in 2009. Leach is good, but he didnt make or break Arian nor will he do the same to Rice imo.

As far as Jones not getting much attention & accolades, he did play for a very pitiful team in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that kind of explains that for the most part.

I'm happy Jones is here & wish Leach good luck, but I think we possibly got the better of 2 when its all said & done imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #54
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 968 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I want to say it was profootball focus who ranked Jones as one of if not the best blocking FB in the past. It had to be prior to 2010 because he has been ranked top 3 by them since 2010. I guess I should've said he was ranked as one of the best in the past as opposed to the best, but I still believe it stands true. Either way, Jones is considered a very good FB in his own right & has been for quite some time. Jones' name as been amongst the best longer then Leach's once you consider that Leach was basically unheard of prior to Arian's rise & Leach was the lead blocker for one of the worst rushing attacks in 2009. Leach is good, but he didnt make or break Arian nor will he do the same to Rice imo.

As far as Jones not getting much attention & accolades, he did play for a very pitiful team in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that kind of explains that for the most part.

I'm happy Jones is here & wish Leach good luck, but I think we possibly got the better of 2 when its all said & done imo.
Word!
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #55
myktek2
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 myktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respectedmyktek2 is a quality contributor and well respected

wouldn't it fun if we installed the wishbone and then had both Leach and Jones blocking for Foster.... lol
myktek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229846 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Vitolo mentioned financials on whether a leach return could happen. I noted the #Texans cap situation and he said there are always ways.

Leach is still in Miami. Agent on Dolphins: "they have a very strong interest because they need him." #Texans

Vitolo said as this next contract will probably be Leach's last, he wants to be with a contender and where he's comfortable. #Texans

Just spoke with Vonta Leach's agent Ralph Vitolo, who said he spoke with #Texans GM Rick Smith today and there's mutual interest.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Hard to see Leach #Texans talk as anything other than 1 mutual respect 2 an attempt to generate a market for FB. Barely enuf snaps for 1 FB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myktek2 View Post
wouldn't it fun if we installed the wishbone and then had both Leach and Jones blocking for Foster.... lol
HA!! That's awesome!

Welcome aboard!
Old 06-12-2013   #58
ArTex
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't the man wear tee shirts saying Leach for Pro Bowl? That's self-aggrandizement. He left the Texans because they wouldn't make him the highest paid FB in the league. Regardless, I qualified my position as compromised by personal feelings on the subject. I admit my view is not objective. I quoted you because you mentioned Jones not having accolades.

Oh NOEZ he WEAR HIMSELF on SHIRT, HIM EGO

In the NFL, you GOT to TAKE THE MONEY.

Maybe in no other sports league is "Pay Me" more UNDERSTANDABLE

Case in point...Vonta Leach here. He got his payday. But then front offices DON'T have near the same loyalty as players, they'll cut a player in no time.

James Casey took the money. Glover Quin took the money. Connor Barwin took the money. But because they didnt wear a T-shirt with a cheesy name rhyming slogan, it makes them "better"?

Just saying that turnover and money reasons happens a lot in the NFL. I think a dying position like fullback should be THE LEAST BLAMED for cashing in, before it falls forever from relevancy and use
ArTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #59
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is what I think happened to Leach wanting to be Texans. After his release from Ravens, Leach's agent called the Texans, but R.Smith (GM) didn't respond, or didn't respond immediately, so his agent went to the media wanting Leach to be Texans. Since word got out that he wants to be Texans, the team had to respond, or look bad for not responding to an ex-Texans and a Super Bowl winner. While this was going on, Leach went to visit the Dolphins. If Leach wants to be Texans, it would of been done already. $ is all over Leach, too bad the Ravens treated him like an asset, every team in the NFL right now are doing mini-camps with most starters set. It feels good that the Texans respect their players more than the Ravens like when we release Jacoby Jones right after the draft giving him ample time before mini-camp to sign with another team. So long Leach, enjoy Miami Beach!!!
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #60
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 14915 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

He did what was best for his family. Those with hurt feelings can get over it.

If the Texans want him back i'd welcome him back. He loves Houston.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read