Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2013   #21
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Can we sign Leach and bring back the Wishbone?
Yeah but isn't that package more dangerous with a QB that can actually move? Not sure Schaub qualifies, heh.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #22
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
The Texans roll out their 3 TE, 2 FB set.
Whenever the Texans leap out to that insurmountable, double-digit, 10-0 lead they will roll out their 3 TE, 2 FB set.

FIFY.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Love me some Vonta...but if we had cash to spend I'd rather bring Winston back and fix RT instead of slightly possibly upgrading FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't recall Ray Rice being much of a rushing threat in last years play offs. I didn't see a lot of those monster blocks we love to see either.

I don't know if Leach is finally over the hill, lost that step... but I don't think we missed much when he left, I don't think the Ravens gained much when they picked him up.

Nostalgia is great & everything, but when you've moved on, you should keep getting on.
Old 06-11-2013   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know if Leach is finally over the hill, lost that step... but I don't think we missed much when he left, I don't think the Ravens gained much when they picked him up.
We aren't going to bring Leach back but that is a bit revisionist.

Foster went from 4.9 ypc to 4.4 ypc. Ray Rice went from 4.0 ypc to 4.7 ypc.
Old 06-11-2013   #26
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't recall Ray Rice being much of a rushing threat in last years play offs. I didn't see a lot of those monster blocks we love to see either.

Nostalgia is great & everything, but when you've moved on, you should keep getting on.
Well said, and I agree. That's also how I feel about Winston. We've moved on, it's time to move forward.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Lets hope the transition from Casey to Jones is as good to Foster as Leach was to Rice .... Casey wasn't a FB at all , but he did offer a different dimension to the Texans offense - one I think they failed to take advantage of more often than not.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't think the Texans would have much interest. Leach is better than Greg Jones, but not that much better.
Sign Vonta to the same exact contract as Greg (or a comparable deal - even if it's slightly more). Surely Vonta knows that he won't make anything close to what the Ravens signed him for (which is why I don't blame him for leaving). Let them compete and keep one, cut the other.
Old 06-11-2013   #29
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones in theory is the better runner but he hasn't received any significant carries in 6 years.

Jones has been considered an excellent lead blocker but the best? You would think he would have some sort of pro-bowl or all-pro accolades and he has none.
Didn't Vonta have to actively lobby to get pro bowl accolades a couple of years ago?

I don't want to see Leach back in a Texans uniform at all. That's a stand on principal, not his ability. I hold his self-aggrandizement on the same level as Dunta Robinson's "pay me Rick" self-aggrandizement. Just my personal feelings on the subject. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions because I do get personal about some things.
Old 06-11-2013   #30
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Didn't Vonta have to actively lobby to get pro bowl accolades a couple of years ago?

I don't want to see Leach back in a Texans uniform at all. That's a stand on principal, not his ability. I hold his self-aggrandizement on the same level as Dunta Robinson's "pay me Rick" self-aggrandizement. Just my personal feelings on the subject. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions because I do get personal about some things.
Agree, for the most part. I was also annoyed by his "Leach to the beach" Pro Bowl campaign.

But, I also recall Owen Daniels doing something similar right before he was selected for the first time.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see where you get the self-aggrandizing.

Anyway as I recall things the lobbying was by Leach's teammates particularly AJ and Foster:

Quote:
Texans fullback Vonta Leach has yet to make the Pro Bowl in his seven NFL seasons. Two of his most prominent teammates took it upon themselves on Wednesday to campaign for him in the locker room.
Wide receiver Andre Johnson, a four-time Pro Bowler, wore a “Send Leach to the Beach” T-shirt during his interview session with reporters.
“We are trying to get Vonta Leach over to Hawaii, so I need everybody to go to NFL.com and vote for Vonta Leach and send him to Hawaii,” Johnson said. “I think he deserves it.”
Link

Frankly that wasn't needed as he was also 1st team All-Pro in 2010.
Old 06-11-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

You're right. The absence of Vonta Leach is why Arian Foster's ypc dropped half a yard per carry.
Old 06-11-2013   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see where you get the self-aggrandizing.

Anyway as I recall things the lobbying was by Leach's teammates particularly AJ and Foster:

Link

Frankly that wasn't needed as he was also 1st team All-Pro in 2010.
Didn't the man wear tee shirts saying Leach for Pro Bowl? That's self-aggrandizement. He left the Texans because they wouldn't make him the highest paid FB in the league. Regardless, I qualified my position as compromised by personal feelings on the subject. I admit my view is not objective. I quoted you because you mentioned Jones not having accolades.
Old 06-11-2013   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're right. The absence of Vonta Leach is why Arian Foster's ypc dropped half a yard per carry.
NOT
Old 06-11-2013   #35
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm sure you're correct with the numbers 'cak but I'm not sure exactly how much Vonta being gone brought to bear there. As has been discussed here on occasion Arian seemed to go down after insignificant contact and I know by watching that he sure did slip and go down significantly with no contact whatsoever.

Sure would like to see him take the rushing crown again and it appears he's noticed the same drop off, thus his self pronounced "re dedication".

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't the man wear tee shirts saying Leach for Pro Bowl? That's self-aggrandizement.
I don't remember all that, but why wouldn't he?

Quote:
He left the Texans because they wouldn't make him the highest paid FB in the league.
And why would they (the Texans)? He understood the business end of it and took a payday that he knew he would never have a chance to make again. I have no hard feelings for him bailing to Baltimore.

Quote:
Regardless, I qualified my position as compromised by personal feelings on the subject. I admit my view is not objective. I quoted you because you mentioned Jones not having accolades.
Fair enough. Jones has no accolades because he played on a shotty Jacksonville team, IIRC.
Old 06-11-2013   #37
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm sure you're correct with the numbers 'cak but I'm not sure exactly how much Vonta being gone brought to bear there. As has been discussed here on occasion Arian seemed to go down after insignificant contact and I know by watching that he sure did slip and go down significantly with no contact whatsoever.

Sure would like to see him take the rushing crown again and it appears he's noticed the same drop off, thus his self pronounced "re dedication".
Don't forget an upset on the OL. RG and RT had a pretty major impact on Foster's productivity.
Old 06-11-2013   #38
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Don't forget an upset on the OL. RG and RT had a pretty major impact on Foster's productivity.
ABSOLUTELY. I meant to mention that in my last post.

I just think you may be clinging on to the fact he left the Texans for the Ravens, where a "Fullback" had a chance to get paid.
Old 06-11-2013   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I don't remember all that, but why wouldn't he?

And why would they (the Texans)? He understood the business end of it and took a payday that he knew he would never have a chance to make again. I have no hard feelings for him bailing to Baltimore.

Fair enough. Jones has no accolades because he played on a shotty Jacksonville team, IIRC.
IMHO, Leach was a small cog in a big machine and made himself a bigger part of that machine than was reasonable. I guess I don't really blame him for looking for a bigger payday but don't come crawling back looking for more. IMO, Leach should feel lucky to even get an NFL contract because the FB position is such a nonessential position today. As admirable as the FB position is, in terms of manliness, it's not really essential in today's NFL. I don't see last years failures at RB as a problem with FB play as much as a problem with the right side of the Texans OL.

I still have hard feelings for Leach leaving for Baltimore. Can't help it. Don't apologize for it.
Old 06-11-2013   #40
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not questioning that in the least but we all saw Arian slip and fall on his own, without being touched and going down with minor contact that we've all watched him juke and be gone from prior. Make shift line or not. That's all I'm saying.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read