Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2013   #341
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13
Quote:
Lost in the discussion has been defensive end Tim Jamison, who tore his Achilles in Week 6 of last season. Like Cushing, Jamison has been steadily rehabbing with trainers on a side field during spring practices. And like Cushing, he could be healthy for the start of training camp.

“He’s doing good,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “That’s a hard injury to come back from. He’s really, basically, almost cleared. It’s just about confidence in what he’s doing, and we’re hoping that by training camp, he’s pretty close to full speed and ready to go.”
"Almost cleared" for practice at ~8 months. It will be nice to see him, if not full speed, at least ready to go for TC at ~10 months..........and ready to "contribute" Game 1 at ~12 months. Barring setback, a more reasonable schedule for returning from this injury.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #342
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13

"Almost cleared" for practice at ~8 months. It will be nice to see him, if not full speed, at least ready to go for TC at ~10 months..........and ready to "contribute" Game 1 at ~12 months. Barring setback, a more reasonable schedule for returning from this injury.
tells me spot duty & working his way back into the rotation but now with more dogs in the race.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #343
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13

That's outstanding news. I really like Tim Jamison and HOPE that he can come back and be the player that he was pre-injury. CND, maybe you could give us an opinion on long term prognosis for DE coming back from an achilles tear. I imagine it depends of the severity of the tear but what do you figure the odds are that he's able to get back to being the high quality rotational DE that he was pre-injury? Thanks for the info..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #344
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both right and left. He was always considered brute strength and quick hands AND quick feet, but still somewhat "sluggish" on plays. He also played at 350 pounds in college. Now that he is supposedly "lean, muscular and svelt," I believe that OT would not be a far reach, especially in time.
Ah ok thanks for confirming.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #345
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

lol

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Rookie long snapper Brandon Hartson has been invited to participate in the Houston Texans minicamp on a tryout basis
Old 06-10-2013   #346
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

In TC's post above on OTAs. Anthony Smith uses the terminology "hug rush". I'm not familiar with that. Can someone enlighten me?

Also, I'd rather see Harris, Newton and Williams battling for reps at RT if healthy as Kubiac states and keep Brooks at RG. I also want Jones learning behind Myers.
Old 06-10-2013   #347
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
lol

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Rookie long snapper Brandon Hartson has been invited to participate in the Houston Texans minicamp on a tryout basis
First thing I thought was a cost cutting move .... but Jon Weeks is only a 3 year vet. Not much difference between that and a rookie vet min deal.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #348
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
First thing I thought was a cost cutting move .... but Jon Weeks is only a 3 year vet. Not much difference between that and a rookie vet min deal.
Maybe it's to take some of the load off of Weeks. lol
Old 06-10-2013   #349
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice write up, TC.......as always!

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?
Hmmm. This is what I know and think I know:

1. The Texans are very specific about what they like for different positions on the offensive line. When the new staff came to the team in 2006, it blew them away that it just seemed like big guys got randomly assigned different positions on the line without much attention to skills/body type.

(As an aside, I do not buy all the BS that just because team X got free agent Olineman Y it means they fixed their Oline. If an Olineman is teh awesome, they usually don't get to become free agents. And a lot of time teams are looking for high priced free agent Olineman, it's because they suck at developing them and/or their scheme sucks and/or their quarterback does them no favors. In addition, just because a player costs a lot, doesn't mean they are any good or fit a different team's system. You can shorthand this whole paragraph as The Todd Wade Rule. Very nice guy, but did not fix the abysmal Texans offensive line because of this whole paragraph).

2. Looks good at guard. Guard kinda important too. Maybe you are better settling a young player at one spot he can become dominant at than a position that maybe doesn't suit him.

3. They expect Newton/Williams back. Minicamp this week, then a lot of time until training camp. So let's see what happens with the tackles.

4. OTOH, Texans aren't afraid to try stuff with young guys if they have a need. Signed, Ben Jones playing lots of time at guard even though he didn't play it since high school. So, in other words, I have pretty much given up trying to predict what the Texans do on the offensive line because boy howdy, I didn't see that Ben Jones thing coming until it just started happening in camp.

5. Dark horse candidate: Quessenberry. When he works with backups, looks like he is too big to be with that group. Same sensation I got when I watched Eric Winston his rookie year. (Not the same player but long arms, named captain as a lineman, played through injuries). I'm going to watch Oline more carefully in minicamps given current issues.
Old 06-10-2013   #350
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Why might they be doing a tryout?

1. Hm. Not sure that Weeks will be at minicamp. They are focusing on non-vets. They had Collin Klein in for a tryout for rookie minicamp because they needed more arms, wanted to see him.

2. Hartson is local. So easy. Might not be a bad thing to check out someone locally for a just in case position.

3. Weeks is the most improbable player on the entire team given his size. He's listed as 5'10" 247 (and the Texans say their roster sheets are not fake weights), but he looks smaller. The reason why he was acquired is that he snaps the ball extremely fast, fast enough that it can make a difference.

All that being said, Hartson listed 6'2, 238.

4. I hope that over the season, nobody pays any attention whatsoever to the long snapper. The end.
Old 06-10-2013   #351
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
5. Dark horse candidate: Quessenberry. When he works with backups, looks like he is too big to be with that group. Same sensation I got when I watched Eric Winston his rookie year. (Not the same player but long arms, named captain as a lineman, played through injuries). I'm going to watch Oline more carefully in minicamps given current issues.
Quess was my other "wish" pick for the draft. I think the guy has the right makeup. Had some technique issues, but held his own against the best in the draft.

When you say "too big", is that just physically or something else?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #352
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why might they be doing a tryout?

1. Hm. Not sure that Weeks will be at minicamp. They are focusing on non-vets. They had Collin Klein in for a tryout for rookie minicamp because they needed more arms, wanted to see him.
If that's the case then .... this makes sense. Someone has to snap the ball ....

Quote:
4. I hope that over the season, nobody pays any attention whatsoever to the long snapper. The end.
Aint that the truth ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #353
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quess was my other "wish" pick for the draft. I think the guy has the right makeup. Had some technique issues, but held his own against the best in the draft.

When you say "too big", is that just physically or something else?
Physically. He looks bigger than the guys he is lined up with, mix of 2nd/3rd string guys usually. He was bigger than I expected just based on what I had read up on him before he showed up.

I remember watching Winston in a preseasson game his rookie year and thinking that he looked like the bigger kid than the rest, sort of like when you are watching pee-wee football, and certain kids just stick out because they are just growed a little more.

Speaking of size differences. Seeing Brandon Brooks lined up next to Chris Myers is almost funny. Brooks is beastly big. Myers isn't a tiny dude by real people standards, but Brooks looks crazy thick. Those legs.
Old 06-10-2013   #354
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of size differences. Seeing Brandon Brooks lined up next to Chris Myers is almost funny. Brooks is beastly big. Myers isn't a tiny dude by real people standards, but Brooks looks crazy thick. Those legs.
Brandon's got the biggest lower legs I think I've ever seen. Cankle-ist of cankles.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #355
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
That's outstanding news. I really like Tim Jamison and HOPE that he can come back and be the player that he was pre-injury. CND, maybe you could give us an opinion on long term prognosis for DE coming back from an achilles tear. I imagine it depends of the severity of the tear but what do you figure the odds are that he's able to get back to being the high quality rotational DE that he was pre-injury? Thanks for the info..

In the only study ever reported in NFL players with ruptured Achilles tendons, DTs and DEs had the lowest power rating drop offs of all positions. These were listed at 65% and 55% decrease, respectively. As I've stated in the past, this study had its limitations and the decreases are probably less today because of a combination of improved surgical repair techniques and rehab protocols, but still relatively high. And those that don't return at all to play in a regular season game, although quoted in the study at 31%, that number still has not probably dropped today below 25%. We unfortunately will not learn much of anything as to what Jamison has to offer or not before the season begins.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #356
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I also want Jones learning behind Myers.
I think the best place for Ben Jones to learn Myers' position is on the field, on Myers' right.

He sees what Chris sees & he's playing against NFL #1s. I'd rather that, than to go through growing pains with a 4 year vet learning how to play against NFL 1st line defenses.
Old 06-10-2013   #357
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember watching Winston in a preseasson game his rookie year and thinking that he looked like the bigger kid than the rest, sort of like when you are watching pee-wee football, and certain kids just stick out because they are just growed a little more.
Kind of man-among-boys thing?
Old 06-10-2013   #358
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the best place for Ben Jones to learn Myers' position is on the field, on Myers' right.

He sees what Chris sees & he's playing against NFL #1s. I'd rather that, than to go through growing pains with a 4 year vet learning how to play against NFL 1st line defenses.
Tbh, I want jones and Williams fighting it out for the LG position next year.

I think a line-up of:

Brown
Jones/Williams
Myers
Brooks
Quess

Has a chance to be sick.

And if Meyers moves on when his deal is up:

Brown
Williams
Jones
Brooks
Quess

That would be my ideal scenario at this point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #359
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I think a line-up of:

Brown
Jones/Williams
Myers
Brooks
Quess

Has a chance to be sick.

And if Meyers moves on when his deal is up:

Brown
Williams
Jones
Brooks
Quess

That would be my ideal scenario at this point.
IMO it will look more like this: Brown, Quess, Myers, Brooks, Williams or Newton, with the loser of the RT job being the swing guy and Jones being the middle backup.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #360
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The left side is your power side. Unless I'm totally wrong about Wade Smith, I can't wrap my head around putting Brooks anywhere but next to DBrown76. & with a lithe Ben Jones mopping up the second level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read