Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

Quote:
I’ve compiled a list of the top 40 Houston Texans based on the current roster, but I need to spell out how I decided to rank the players. My rankings aren’t based on overall value to the team or the ratings would start with “1. Matt Schaub, 2. Andre Johnson.”

Instead, I decided to try to rank the Texans as “football players.” I’m trying to decide how good a football player each player is relative to each other and how I come to my conclusions is certainly bound to be different from how you come to your conclusions. What you did in the past just factors in slightly as I’m looking to stack players based on where I think they are right now as players.

Keep in mind that some of my rankings will have players who have “never done anything” ahead of players who have experience under their belt. Oh well. In some cases I’m obviously projecting based on how I think they would play if given the opportunity that others have had. Here is my final list of the Texans Top 40. ...

Texans Top 40

* The numbers in parenthesis is the rankings of the players last year. FA means they were free agents this year while players who were added during the season will be designated as unranked.

1. J.J. Watt, DT/DE (5) - Last year I had Watt at #5 because I wanted to see him perform at a higher level for a little bit longer before I moved him to top of this list. Well played, Mr. Watt. Well played. After Watt put together what may go down as the most dominant season of any defensive lineman in history, it is safe to say that the top spot on the team is his. He has an absolutely elite combination of power, quickness, size and hand usage and for as good as he is on the field, he might be just as good off the field. It is unlikely that he will match last year’s ridiculous sack output (20.5), but there is no reason to believe that he won’t be in double digits once again.

2. Duane Brown, LT (3) - Make no mistake about it – Duane Brown was even better in 2011 than he was in 2012. I’m not saying that Brown wasn’t good in 2012 because he was, but I think he started to get a little too heavy. How did Brown respond to his 2012 season? He came into OTAs as light as I’ve seen him as a Texan. Brown has shed the excess weight and I think we’ll see a focused, dominant season from one of the best in the business.

3. Arian Foster, RB (1) - It is easy to focus on Foster’s declining yards per carry and his increasing workload, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that Foster gets the cheese. His 47 touchdowns over the last three years is a great example of the nose that Foster has for the endzone and his ability to be a workhorse for the Texans shouldn’t be held against him, but rather lauded. I don’t know how much longer Foster can continue to handle the high number of touches that he has been saddled with over the last three years, but I do know that he shows up in the big games and we will see his YPC go back up if the Texans can get their run blocking sorted out this year.
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...xans-for-2013/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

Good read, thanks a lot!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013
Quote:
Instead, I decided to try to rank the Texans as “football players.” I’m trying to decide how good a football player each player is relative to each other and how I come to my conclusions is certainly bound to be different from how you come to your conclusions.
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...xans-for-2013/

And so we begin.

First, this makes even less sense than giving draft grades, but I've got nothing better to do.

I question his logic on some of these. Brandon Brooks shot up his board, from 36 to 19, but Newton dropped from 28 to 33.... Whut?? I think Newton was a much better RT than Brooks was RG & both players improved throughout the season, at least until Newton's injury.

I don't have a problem with him ranking Brooks ahead of Newton, if that's the way he feels, that's the way he feels. But for Brooks to shoot up so far & Newton to drop so far... just doesn't make sense.

Then he's got Braman at 29. Brandon Harris isn't even in the top 40... yeah, I'm not seeing it. I like Braman, but if I were going to classify only one of those two as a football player.... it'd be Harris.

Then he feels the Texans have little confidence in Braman & that lack of confidence prompted the drafting of two players to play ahead of him... but he puts Brooks Reed at 18, Mercilus at 21..... hello??? If they're drafting players to play OLB, neither of these guys should be close to the top 20.

jmo

Now, I do agree that JjWatt, Duane Brown, Andre Johnson, & Arian Foster are our best 4 players. But Cushing rounds out the top 5 & it's not even close.

Jjo, had a great 2011. Had a solid career before that, but only solid. I'd love to see another pro bowl season from the man before I put him in our top 5.

Lastly, Ben Jones. Z says this:
Quote:
30. Ben Jones, G/C (Unranked) - Jones showed good footwork and solid technique but he lacked the power needed to play with consistency at guard. I think Jones has a great shot at becoming the starting center by 2015, but until then, he’ll likely provide depth at both guard and center while potentially getting a shot to start at LG by 2014.
As far as making the calls & snapping the ball, of course that was all Chris Myers. But once the ball was snapped Chris Myers & Mike Briesel performed extremely similar roles depending on where the play was going & how the DT was lined up. On most other teams, if I'm the Mike I know I've got to look out for Chris Myers on run plays to my side. If the DT has him, I'm home free. But with Briesel... or Ben Jones I can't just read that DT, I've got to look for that RG.

Brandon Brooks is a fine player, but he doesn't have the speed or agility that BenJones or Briesel does. If he's pushing the DT back onto Myers, as the Mike I'll probably get past him before he's free. Yes, Brooks is the more powerful player, but he plays more like the guy WadeSmith was in 2010.

Now I don't know if Kubiak wants a 2010 WadeSmith on both sides of Myers. If that's what he wants he'll probably get that in 2013, but we'll need to replace Wade Smith soon. But I really liked the versatility we had starting Briesel (who Ben Jones is a younger better version) & we'd be much closer to the 2010 league leading offensive line with Ben Jones (a younger better Briesel) at RG and Brandon Brooks (a younger better Wade Smith) playing at LG.

Other than that.... good article.
Old 06-07-2013   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223020 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn. I can not wait until the first game. I am so tired of projections and lists and whatever. Not that I discount lists where Texan players are ranked high, it's just I'm tired of words already.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Damn. I can not wait until the first game. I am so tired of projections and lists and whatever. Not that I discount lists where Texan players are ranked high, it's just I'm tired of words already.
OK, now it's time to rank the top 50,000 Texans fans.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't have a problem with him ranking Brooks ahead of Newton, if that's the way he feels, that's the way he feels. But for Brooks to shoot up so far & Newton to drop so far... just doesn't make sense.
This isn't about how they performed last year, this is how they're expected to perform THIS year... and I believe it's based on what Lance has seen and heard that OTAs. So he's looking at something most of us haven't had access to.

Judging from Steph's reports, Brooks has been looking like one of (if not THE) the most improved player so far. And what you saw last year, where the Mike didn't have to worry about him getting to the second level, that might be a thing of the past. It certainly sounds like it from early reports.

And with Newton on the sideline and from some reports having weight issues, Newton may have taken a big step back because of that.

BUT... like any grade that projects, it's all just an opinion.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The one that stumps me is safety Manning being ranked #7 on that list ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The one that stumps me is safety Manning being ranked #7 on that list ?
I thought that about a lot of the rankings, but after my
If they're drafting players to play OLB, neither of these guys should be close to the top 20.
comment..... I started thinking it might be hard to find 20 players more worthy than Brooks Reed & Whitney Mercilus.

So.... let's make our own list. I'll start with the top 5.
  1. Jj Watt
  2. Andre Johnson
  3. Duane Brown
  4. Arian Foster
  5. Brian Cushing

What do y'all think?
Old 06-08-2013   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
OK, now it's time to rank the top 50,000 Texans fans.
yeah i dont feel like i need to be personally spot lighted. So We can skip #1 and do the top #2-50,000 texans fans. Just saying guys
Old 06-08-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, these lists are silly.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #11
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72763 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sucks that we have to wait until literally the last game of the 1st week. From the first game thursday to our game monday night at 9pm central time will feel like an eternity.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Sucks that we have to wait until literally the last game of the 1st week. From the first game thursday to our game monday night at 9pm central time will feel like an eternity.
I hate it... but I get to watch more football that way.

If the Texans played Thursday night, I would be too preoccupied "studying" the game to watch any other.

If the Texans played Sunday morning, I'd watch the Thursday game, then the Texans.... then I'm "studying" the Texans game. If they play Sunday afternoon or night, something similar.

Being Monday night, I can watch all the games then Texans last & then pick it apart till next Sunday.
Old 06-10-2013   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Myers dead money after '13 is $4m but only two if cut after '14. Chris Jones should be ready. I agree with LZ.

Mitchell. I didn't see it last season but hope Lance is right and Mitchell will become another Chris Myers in middle of the line, undersized but solid.

Crick imo should replace Smith in '14. Not heartbroken if he extends but big savings if not.

Brooks is OG of future just which side. We also have time to see if Q will work out before having to look for OG in 2014. Then there is Cody White.
Old 06-10-2013   #14
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Jones started lots of games last year @ RG and was voted the Texans top rookie, but have heard nothing about him this year so far ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Ben Jones started lots of games last year @ RG and was voted the Texans top rookie, but have heard nothing about him this year so far ?
I think he's finishing up his college degree. Says he took 12 hours at Georgia for the spring semester.

Should be around for mini-camp I would think.
Old 06-11-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone said he was getting reps at RG in OTAs
Old 06-16-2013   #17
theNumber80
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 theNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster and Duane Brown ranked higher than Andre Johnson is a joke. ESPECIALLY Foster. Duane Brown is IMO the best LT in the game so I could somewhat accept that but no way in hell is Foster better than Andre. Not even a top 5 RB in my opinion.
theNumber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNumber80 View Post
Arian Foster and Duane Brown ranked higher than Andre Johnson is a joke. ESPECIALLY Foster. Duane Brown is IMO the best LT in the game so I could somewhat accept that but no way in hell is Foster better than Andre. Not even a top 5 RB in my opinion.
Despite your moniker - which kinda says you're not unbiased - you might want to rethink that.

Foster had 17 TDs last year (led the league in rushing TDs by the way), A.J. had 4. Just from a scoring impact, Foster is ahead of A.J.

And for the record, I think they both should be in the top five.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #19
theNumber80
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 theNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Despite your moniker - which kinda says you're not unbiased - you might want to rethink that.

Foster had 17 TDs last year (led the league in rushing TDs by the way), A.J. had 4. Just from a scoring impact, Foster is ahead of A.J.

And for the record, I think they both should be in the top five.
You mean those 17 TDs inside the 5 yard line? REAL impressive. Did you watch Foster? He can't break a tackle to save his life, doesn't fight for extra yardage, and lacks explosiveness which is why his longest run was 52 yards...He didn't do much in the receiving game either. He falls down if someone lays a finger on him, don't even compare him to Andre Johnson. Andre provided a much bigger impact on offense than Foster did. Touchdowns are one of the most skewed stats by the way so you bringing it up is useless. We run a ridiculous amount at the goal line which is why Foster's TDs are so inflated and Andre's TD numbers are so low. Texans' fans should know this by now...

Andre Johnson >>>> Arian Foster

It's not even a debate.
theNumber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNumber80 View Post
You mean those 17 TDs inside the 5 yard line? REAL impressive. Did you watch Foster? He can't break a tackle to save his life, doesn't fight for extra yardage, and lacks explosiveness which is why his longest run was 52 yards...He didn't do much in the receiving game either. He falls down if someone lays a finger on him, don't even compare him to Andre Johnson. Andre provided a much bigger impact on offense than Foster did. Touchdowns are one of the most skewed stats by the way so you bringing it up is useless. We run a ridiculous amount at the goal line which is why Foster's TDs are so inflated and Andre's TD numbers are so low. Texans' fans should know this by now...

Andre Johnson >>>> Arian Foster

It's not even a debate.
You, sir, are an idiot. It has less to do with the personnel on the field and more about the philosophy behind the offense. The Texans WILL run the ball, at will. They WILL make you honor that. You can harken back to an older era, where a forward pass has 3 outcomes and two of them are bad, when you look at a Kubiak offense. Kubiak believes in owning the clock and running the football. Nothing will change his mind on that. That's how it's gonna be.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read