Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2013   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you agree? Surely you don't think $4M/yr is too much for Quin?

I (like the Texans probably did) like him. I think he would have blew up in year 3 as our safety in this system. Nigh Pro Bowl, All-Pro. The chances of him being the guy we need in year 3 of this system & Ed Reed (much respect, don't get me wrong, but your medical diagnoses is part of the reason) being that guy is pretty much the same... maybe slight edge to GQ.

I think $4M/yr is about what the average starter should get (so I think Quin would have been a steal). 22 starters x $4M/yr, that's only $88M. With a $120M cap, that leaves you with $32M to sign your franchise players & the rest of your 53.

Say Antonio Smith's $9M number. $4M would come from the $88M we accounted for our starters, $5M from the $32M, leaving you $27M for your Schaubs, Andres, Arians, DBrowns etc...

Of course not all our starters make $4M.... the number is just an average, where I'm saying a starter should be making $4M. Our RT, RG, FB, WR2, TE2, ILB(next to Cushing), NT, OLB(Not named Whitney), etc..... won't be making $4M/yr.

Quin is worth $4M/yr easily in my mind.
I was sad when Quin was allowed to walk.

The points that were made against keeping him were topped by:
1)his "limitations" at his position
2)his "limitations" regarding his peak
3)Reed could be an on-field coach

I would have to counter with:
1)Reed certainly showed limitations at his position last year (and now the hip leaves us with more questions)
2)Reed's peek days are behind him and can only trend towards decline
3)If we wanted another secondary coach, we could get the best for $3-400,000

It appears that if the Texans really wanted to keep Quin, it could have probably happened.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #42
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was sad when Quin was allowed to walk.

The points that were made against keeping him were topped by:
1)his "limitations" at his position
2)his "limitations" regarding his peak
3)Reed could be an on-field coach

I would have to counter with:
1)Reed certainly showed limitations at his position last year (and now the hip leaves us with more questions)
2)Reed's peek days are behind him and can only trend towards decline
3)If we wanted another secondary coach, we could get the best for $3-400,000

It appears that if the Texans really wanted to keep Quin, it could have probably happened.
MSR.
Old 06-11-2013   #43
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-d867d3c50e28

I knew there was something there, but it didnt seem major at all, Reed said. It was a slight tear, and we did due diligence on both sides me, my doctor, Kap (Texans head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan) and the head doctor here. We all put our heads together to make the best decision, and that (surgery) was the best decision.
Old 06-11-2013   #44
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49584 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what burns me up. All off the below

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-328a0eff7865

Quote:
FS Ed Reed

(on if he feels like a Texan now that he is in Houston) Yeah, man. Once I got finished collecting my money from my other team, you know, finished up counting, I gave it a 24-hour grace period to kind of let that soak in and make that transition, to really get acclimated. Its good money. Guys are welcoming, like it was when I first came. Just starting to get it going.

(on potentially playing in the first game of the season) Like I said, I'm going to keep counting money this offseason. Once training camp comes Ill have a better bead on it, as far as how much I've got. Right now, I can tell you, its going well; going really good. No bounced checks. Im actually just coming from counting my money right now. As you can see, Im a little fatigued from it getting the best of me. You know, thats part of it. Its looking really good right now.

(on if hell be disappointed if hes not ready to play in Week 1) Like I said, I'm going to continue to count. No disappointments because bankin' is a process. Im going to keep counting. Come training camp, like I said, Ill have a better bead on it, a better feel for it. Right now, its still offseason and I've got to get paid.

(on if he was surprised that he needed surgery and how that worked out) Yeah. I mean, I knew. I knew there was something there but it didnt seem major until that first check. Honestly, it was a slight tear and we did due diligence on both sides. Me, my doctor, Kap (Texans director of sports medicine and head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan), the head doctor here and Dr. (Marc) Philippon; we all put our heads together to make the best decision and that was the best decision. I mean Kap has fat stacks, too, and Philippon enjoys his bourbon and hot tub hoes."

(on if having this injury could be a benefit in the sense that if hes not ready to play until Week 3 or 4, he may be fresher at the end of the season) Were going to go through the money counting process. I dont know when Ill be back. I know what my goal is and I know what the team goal is. But I know being here and just talking to everybody and even when you see Mr. Bob (McNair) there, its about being smart and looking kind of sad when he's around. Money is a grind, man. Money is a grind. Of course, you never want to have surgery. I fought with it, man, because I know that sh!t cost a lot of change! Youve got to make a decision. And Im in the office by myself, just praying, Lord, save my money. Because I dont want to have surgery if I dont have to. But the smartest thing to do, the smartest decision at the time was to have surgery.

(on President Barack Obama saying he looked like an old man) I mean, hes not lying. Ive been having the gray hairs since my first paper route. My bank, working with money and stuff, it tends to do that. When youre trying to count that sh!t up, it tends to put a little bit more stress on you than the norm. Its something I embrace, Obviously, I dont cut my hair. Im not putting the Just For Men in there to try to hide the gray and what not. Its something I embrace as part of me. It says a lot. I have a lot of money and it takes a lifetime of counting.

(on what he was saying back to President Barack Obama at the White House) I just told him, You know what your job can do to you. And he was like, I understand exactly what youre saying. I've been lying and counting your money for years now! It was a great time and I really enjoyed it.

*the above was purely fictional, for satirical purposes only.

Last edited by EVOLVIST; 06-11-2013 at 11:39 PM.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #45
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds a little like a guy playing his 100th season that wouldn't mind missing some of the grind of training camp. You'd like to see him getting reps with the defense, but Reed is such a student of the game I really don't think he needs much practice time to do what we hope for him to do this year. Maybe I'm the only one not really panicking or all that worried right now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching the last game against the Colts last night and must say, Quin had a rough game. I've re-watched a few games from last season and have come to the conclusion that we might've overrated Quin. I love the way he tackles, but his coverage is average to below average. That said, I was wary on the Reed signing and am still kinda meh until I see him on the field. Hopefully DJ is as good as the early reports are saying.

*Schaub's poorly thrown ball to Casey that was picked angrified me all over again. As well as settling for FGs and crappy STs
Old 06-12-2013   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I was watching the last game against the Colts last night and must say, Quin had a rough game. I've re-watched a few games from last season and have come to the conclusion that we might've overrated Quin. I love the way he tackles, but his coverage is average to below average. That said, I was wary on the Reed signing and am still kinda meh until I see him on the field. Hopefully DJ is as good as the early reports are saying.

*Schaub's poorly thrown ball to Casey that was picked angrified me all over again. As well as settling for FGs and crappy STs
According to Pro Football Focus charting, Quin had 4 below average games, 5 above average games, 9 sort of meh games.

Worst games were against Indy the second time, Green Bay, Patriots regular season, Chicago. Also had the terrible Patriots mic'd up segment in playoffs that was ooof.

Reed, like the Ravens last year, had a very feast or famine year: 7 below average games, 6 above average games, 7 sort of meh games.

Interestingly, his better games skew towards the beginning of the season, including the early matchup against NE.

Ultimately, think Swearinger is a reflection of going cheaper/younger, hoping for more upside. And Reed is more about intangibles, and hoping that last year was more of an anomaly, a risk-reward choice. PFF rated him 59th last year, but in previous years of their ratings (2011-2008) he was: 12th, 9th, 2nd, 4th. All of those rankings are higher than any safety the Texans have ever had.

I'm also thinking that safety rankings may have a lot to do with rankings of a defense as a whole. Despite winning a SB last year, Ravens defense struggled for much of the regular season, got healthy at right time.
Old 06-13-2013   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
This is what burns me up. All off the below

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-328a0eff7865

*the above was purely fictional, for satirical purposes only.
Interesting that you have joined those who make claims in big letters then the qualifyer comes in tiny print at bottom.
Old 06-13-2013   #49
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49584 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Interesting that you have joined those who make claims in big letters then the qualifyer comes in tiny print at bottom.
That's the nature of satire. See: Clemens, Samuel L. Or Swift, Johnathan. You don't give away the punchline at the beginning . In fact, satire needs no caveat to the discerning reader. I just added that because I don't want Ed or his peeps coming after MY money on the libel tip.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought it was funny as hell.

I imagined a Grady Wilson voice.

Can't stop laughing really.
Old 06-13-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I do think Quin was overrated by some as well.

He was a good player, but I don't think he's worth $4-5M a year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #52
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit:
Nope... this conversation doesn't belong here...
back to football

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #53
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2222/ed-reed

Quote:
According to the Houston Chronicle, "nobody has any clue" when new Texans FS Ed Reed (hip surgery) will be healthy and ready to play.
Despite optimism from Houston's front office, pretty much all signs point toward Reed being damaged goods. It appears the Texans were #Ozzied. Reed himself has been wholly noncommittal on his return timetable. Turning 35 in September, there's a legitimate chance Reed is the Texans' next version of Ahman Green. Jul 20 - 10:52 PM
Old 07-21-2013   #54
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Defense looks like it'll be pretty bad except for JJ Watt. Question marks all around with the linebacker situation, Earl Mitchell at the NT is an issue for me, and Ed Reed's health is a big concern.
I'm not convinced that the defense will be "pretty bad", but I believe it will take a big step back from last year.

Positives - Watt and Smith can hold their own. The corners are solid with KJ and JJ. And Manning is strong.

Negatives - Mitchell at NG in a 3/4. Cushing's actual recovery. Reed, Mercilus and Sharpton as the rest of the LB corps. Replacing Quin.

Double team Watt and average teams will be able to run against us.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I'm not convinced that the defense will be "pretty bad", but I believe it will take a big step back from last year.

Positives - Watt and Smith can hold their own. The corners are solid with KJ and JJ. And Manning is strong.

Negatives - Mitchell at NG in a 3/4. Cushing's actual recovery. Reed, Mercilus and Sharpton as the rest of the LB corps. Replacing Quin.

MSR

Old 07-21-2013   #56
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really?! JJ was doubled, tripled, chipped and schemed against all season and was still the DPOY as well as being in the conversation as overall POY. So, now all the opposition has to do is double team him for "average teams" to run against us?

Where is your logic here? I'm not seeing it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #57
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Really?! JJ was doubled, tripled, chipped and schemed against all season and was still the DPOY as well as being in the conversation as overall POY. So, now all the opposition has to do is double team him for "average teams" to run against us?

Where is your logic here? I'm not seeing it.
My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.
Old 07-21-2013   #58
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.
Mainly without Cushing that is, other than that what did Barwin really do last season ? He wasnt that good, Merciuls in his limited time actually played better than barwin. So we get Cush back, Mercilus will be in a lot more. We have Manning and DJ, i actually see our D being just as good if not better.
Old 07-21-2013   #59
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty funny quote from McClain considering he doesn't have a clue in general.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #60
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Mainly without Cushing that is, other than that what did Barwin really do last season ? He wasnt that good, Merciuls in his limited time actually played better than barwin. So we get Cush back, Mercilus will be in a lot more. We have Manning and DJ, i actually see our D being just as good if not better.
The good news is that the season is close, so we will soon find out. I hope you are right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read