Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2013   #321
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Steph,

I hear that Newton looks like the Goodyear blimp. In my previous posts, I mentioned that a patellar tendon rupture surgery is not an easy recovery, especially in an already heavy player like a lineman. It can be a total deal breaker when that player due to inactivity allows himself to gain a very large amount of weight. I have heard that Newton is up around 345-350 pounds. Can you comment on this?
I can't say I'm a good judge of that sort of thing. At some point, a big man is a big man. He's a pretty tall dude so he has places to put weight.

Will say he doesn't look close to me.

Brennan Williams has been doing some work on side field, doing intervals on the stationary bike on the sideline that has the arm handles too. Under supervision. He does that during practice. So it isn't just riding the bike, he goes faster than they usually go, then he ices up the knee.

With Duane Brown out for a while, they are going to get a good look at all their healthy tackles.
Old 06-06-2013   #322
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
100% it's Reed and Mercilus. only way it changes is it someone in middle gets hurt and Reed moves inside.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Yes. RT So who starts at the other ILB spot? Sharpton?

Still convinced Reed and Mercilus will start as OLBs.
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Hard to get a good gauge on Randy Bullock. Looks better but last camp was more impressed with Graham. This year no real competition. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
D.J. Swearinger says he sits right next to Manning in all meetings and has been picking his brain more than anyones. #Texans

#texans OTAs in books, Kubiak says Trevardo Williams is still ahead of Sam Montgomery. Said Sam still struggling with hand out of ground.

All by himself without being asked, Gary Kubiak brought up his concerns over the RT spot and the injuries there. #Texans

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Yes. Slow news days are good. RT @EarlMitchell92: The highlight of todays practice was my mom driving around screaming "Eaaaarl!!!"

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Unofficially (by my car measurement), hottest day of OTAs. 91 at start. It will feel hotter soon, even w/earlier starts

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Talking STs, Kubiak talked of adding assistant, confidence in Lechler...and basically saying, we've got a young kicker.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Minicamp is next week. Focus on inexperienced players.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: All OTAs over. Uneventful day w/hats no helmets. D Brown's surgery said to have gone well. Hopkins out w/illness.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Good news for #Texans at right T: Gary Kubiak says Derek Newton and Brennan Williams will both be ready for training camp

Right tackle is a concern right now for the #Texans. Derek Newton, Brennan Williams both missed OTAs w/ injuries

Gary Kubiak said top draft picks DJ Swearinger and DeAndre Hopkins are "much more advanced" after OTAs #Texans

Duane Brown is "fine" after Wednesday ankle surgery, Gary Kubiak said. "He's here today. He's doing good." #Texans

The #Texans wrapped up OTAs today at the Methodist Training Center. Vets will rest in next week's mini-camp

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #323
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We're gonna go with the best 53.

When we know, you guys will know.

I like our team.

Its very competitive when you go from Xxxxx to Xxxxx to Xxxxx. How many do you keep?

Hes played really good.

Hes getting better and better.

Hes got a lot of confidence in what hes doing.
You got those straight from the CoachSpeak 101 handbook.
I think they're supposed to be numbered....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #324
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

While it is not written in stone, good to hear Gary saying Newton and Williams will b ready by TC. Also that Keenum's accuracy continues in NFL. I really hope we are far ahead enough in some regular season games to give Yates & Case some "live fire" reps.
Old 06-06-2013   #325
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Should I be worried that there isn't much talk about the return game?
Old 06-06-2013   #326
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What return game?

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #327
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
While it is not written in stone, good to hear Gary saying Newton and Williams will b ready by TC. Also that Keenum's accuracy continues in NFL. I really hope we are far ahead enough in some regular season games to give Yates & Case some "live fire" reps.
It'll never happen while Matt is 100%

I don't think Kubiak wants to hear clamoring for his back-up, when he never heard his name being called when he was a back-up.

Seriously though, this is another reason I don't believe Kubiak ever had any concerns about Matt's foot. If he thought he needed to save Matt for the end of the season, no doubt in my mind he would have. Especially considering the game plan we went with after we established a lead.
Old 06-06-2013   #328
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not yet, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What return game?
The one where the opposing QB launches a pass and it gets sWatted(returned) back in his face.
Old 06-06-2013   #329
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They are working on it a lot.

Trouble is that you can't tell squat because no tackling.

Kubiak says new players mean more speed.
Old 06-06-2013   #330
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Transcripts. Today. I asked coach about the Bum Phillips opera because I am accepting the challenge of trying to ask coach things that he doesn't have a pat answer to:

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
FS D.J. Swearinger
DE Antonio Smith

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on wrapping up OTAs) I think it was a good 10 days. Today we were just teaching and doing some situational stuff. I think the biggest thing is we threw some young players in some very tough positions. You look at (S D.J.) Swearinger and where he got thrown into right away because of (S) Ed (Reed) not being here. Then you look at us taking (WR DeAndre) Hopkins, our number one, so I think weve come a long way as a team. Instead of it taking us two weeks to go through that in camp, I think those guys are much more advanced. Obviously there are some concerns. Up front, the right tackle has got me concerned right now. Guys have missed a lot of time, but I think the work has been good. We got out of this thing healthy. All these guys that have missed a little time will be back. Well finish up next week with just the young guys.

(on what he sees out of his outside linebackers) I see a young group. Its very young, when you consider (Bryan) Braman is working as a starter and youve got two draft choices. Its young, but its talented and athletic. (Linebackers coach) Reggie (Herring) and (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) have a history of getting those young guys ready to go real quick, so thatll be very important to our team.

(on the progress of OLBs Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams) I think its been good. I think Trevardo is a little big a head of (Montgomery) just from the standpoint of playing the position, the true position. Sam is trying to go from hand down to standing up, so thats different for him. The talent is there for both of them.

(on what hes looking to accomplish next week in minicamp) What Im going to do is Im going to go back and basically have the tempo we had in practice today and hit all these young guys with everything for about the fifth time. Really, Im not concerned about the physical part next week as much as I am at just t getting them all a bunch more reps. Thats what well do and workout the older guys.

(on the status of T Duane Brown) Duane is fine. Hes here today. He just didnt come over. Hes fine. I saw him in the cafeteria this morning. Hes doing good. (DE Earl) Okine is doing fine, possibly back next week. (WR) Lestar (Jean) has a family issue hes dealing with today. (WR DeAndre) Hopkins is sick today. He came in this morning about 5:45 or 6, but hell be okay.

(on how he sees the special teams improving) Well I think there are a couple of things going on with our special teams. First off, weve got a lot of young guys that can run. That is where your special teams come from. I think getting (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) Lig (special teams assistant Bob Ligashesky) to come in here and help him has really been a big help for Joe from a teaching process and a load standpoint. I think thats been very good. I think weve got a chance. Weve got a heck of a punter. I think we have a lot of confidence in him. Weve got a young kicker that has got to come a long way. I think the youth and the fact that we can run gives us a chance to improve.

(on ILB Tim Dobbins missing from OTAs) Like Ive said, its voluntary. Ill see him next week.

(on if he has any concerns with S Ed Reed being out) No, we know exactly where Ed is at in the process and whats going on. Well get our hands on him next week and get him in town.

(on if he expects to find some veteran help at right tackle) The guys are all there. The problem is that theyre just not healthy right now. (T Derek) Newton is going to be healthy. Hes going to be ready for camp. (T Brennan) Williams is going to be ready for camp. The competition is there. The answerers are there, but we have to get them out here. I think, as a team, you never say never about anything, but the fact that those guys are in place and everybody is going to be ready to go on the 25th (of July), that makes me feel good.

(on if he has heard that there will be an opera based on the life of Bum Phillips) Really? Good. Thats awesome. Thats awesome. What did Coach think about it? [Coach thinks its great, although he says he cant sing.] Yeah, I cant comment on that. I dont know, but the Coach is a good friend. If theyre going to do one on somebody, they couldnt do one on anybody better. I know that.

FS D.J. Swearinger
(on how important the last few weeks have been to his development) Its tremendous. Im glad that I learned the way I did; learned fast. Ive basically got the whole defense already. Ive just got to keep studying to make it second nature and Im going to be great.

(on if he feels like hes light years ahead of where he was when he first arrived) Yeah. From the first time I walked on until now, Ive gotten a lot of knowledge, a lot of different knowledge. Ive just got to polish it up and just keep studying.

(on taking the next step) Im just ready. Im just ready to keep studying and see how I do once I master everything. I think the skys the limit once I master everything and get to playing like how I really want to play.

DE Antonio Smith
(on how he views things now that OTAs are over) It looked pretty good to me, man. It was a pretty good set of OTAs. I like looking at some of the rookies we got. Weve got some talent, man. Weve really got some talent; some that in a few years are going to be giving some guys runs for their jobs. Whenever youve got that two, three strings deep, youre going to be alright. I think that weve got a lot to learn. Rookies have always got a lot to learn. I think, as veterans, the ones ran smooth after that first week. That first week we were a little rocky but after that, we went smooth and it was a pretty good OTAs overall.

(on if there are some shuffling pieces on the defense) Well, there are some shuffling pieces right now because were waiting on Cush (ILB Brian Cushing) to get back. But other than that, it ran smooth. Everything was good. We learned each others techniques and what moves each other do so we can blitz and things like that and hug rush. Everythings coming together. There isnt any need to rush it. Its going to come together like its supposed to. Were not a young team anymore, so we know what needs to be done and we know what time frame we have to do it.

(on how fast FS D.J. Swearinger has picked up the defense) All of (the rookies) are like that, Im telling you. This group of rookies is ambitious and youve got to like that, even if some guys might feel like theyre scared for their jobs. Not anybody, Im just saying in the past. I love rookies like that. I love rookies that are going to come in and try to be what they dream to be, not just come in and just hope they make a team, or something like that. They want to be stars and they want to be stars. When youve got rookies like that, youre going to have a great team.

(on how much of a teacher role he has taken on) Pretty much a lot. Im fixing to start charging extra. I might even get two checks for my coaching expertise. Im going to go into guru coaching.

(on if hes looking forward to seeing ILB Darryl Sharpton healthy and what he can do on the field) Im always looking forward to seeing (ILB Darryl) Sharpton. I dont know if people really give him credit for it, to me he is an aggressive, electrifying type of player. Every time he gets in his groove, hes had an injury, so Im just hoping and Im going to keep praying for him that he stays healthy because he can really help this team.
Old 06-07-2013   #331
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

TexansChick

Texans 2013 OTAs in review: More things change, the more they stay the same

Quote:
Texans organized team activities (OTAs) are done. Next week starts minicamp which will focus on the younger players and not vets. So what do we know, what do we still want to know?

I went to every day of OTAs, so I want to give you all the information that can be known about the last three weeks...
read more: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/20...tas-in-review/
Old 06-07-2013   #332
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

So if I have this straight, Hopkins was sick on his 21st birthday? That's a bummer...
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #333
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDork View Post
So if I have this straight, Hopkins was sick on his 21st birthday? That's a bummer...
I betcha he was sick because of his birthday.
Old 06-07-2013   #334
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice write up, TC.......as always!

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #335
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw Derek newton at house of blues. On crutches.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #336
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just saw Derek newton at house of blues. On crutches.
I'm not surprised, but it's not a great sign. You would expect that by ~12 weeks, most would be walking without crutches. This is ~16 weeks. Like I've said before, this is not an easy recovery, especially for a "big" man. Rey, how would you say his weight was doing?
Old 06-09-2013   #337
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not surprised, but it's not a great sign. You would expect that by ~12 weeks, most would be walking without crutches. This is ~16 weeks. Like I've said before, this is not an easy recovery, especially for a "big" man. Rey, how would you say his weight was doing?
I should have taken a picture with him. I think I'm bigger than newton. He's definitely in better shape. He looked good tbh. Didn't look "fat". He looks like a pro athlete I don't know if it was him on the crutches or what, but he has really good arm definition for a big guy. Honestly it looked like he could have gotten around without crutches with maybe a slight hitch in his step.

But still I agree, the crutches aren't a great sign at this point. He doesn't look ready to play at all.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #338
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I should have taken a picture with him. I think I'm bigger than newton. He's definitely in better shape. He looked good tbh. Didn't look "fat". He looks like a pro athlete I don't know if it was him on the crutches or what, but he has really good arm definition for a big guy. Honestly it looked like he could have gotten around without crutches with maybe a slight hitch in his step.

But still I agree, the crutches aren't a great sign at this point. He doesn't look ready to play at all.
Thanks for sharing your observation.
Old 06-09-2013   #339
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice write up, TC.......as always!

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?
It's been a while I since posted (just been busy),but I couldn't agree with this more. This would allow B. Jones to fully concentrate at RG. Although I see Jones at C more long term but this could be an option. I think Kubiak should explore that option. Didn't Brook play OT in college?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #340
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
It's been a while I since posted (just been busy),but I couldn't agree with this more. This would allow B. Jones to fully concentrate at RG. Although I see Jones at C more long term but this could be an option. I think Kubiak should explore that option. Didn't Brook play OT in college?
Both right and left. He was always considered brute strength and quick hands AND quick feet, but still somewhat "sluggish" on plays. He also played at 350 pounds in college. Now that he is supposedly "lean, muscular and svelt," I believe that OT would not be a far reach, especially in time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read