Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2013   #1
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak #13 in NFL.com's Coaches Power Rankings

Just a little fodder for another slow day of offseason. They don't talk about Kubiak or the Texans, but what do people think of the ranking?

I look at all of the coaches ahead of him on the list and see 9 Super Bowl champions, and 3 other very successful Head Coaches. Mike Smith is the one with the lest time spent as HC but he is still very good. I don't particularly like being ranked even within 3 spots of Rex Ryan and the Jets, but that's more because I think he should be ranked lower. I can live with #13 for now, but I think if we do as well as we should do this season, and are expecting to do, then he should break into the top 10 next year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap...25-NFL-coaches
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Kubiak #13 in NFL.com's Coaches Power Rankings

I don't know enough about the other coaches around the NFL to intelligently rank Kubiak. IMO, he's a very good guy at the X and O level. I also think he connects with his players very well. I do not like his in-game management. His clock management is awful at times. His playcalling is brilliant at times, but stagnates and becomes too predictable when it matters most. He's gotten better at the challenge, thankfully. I also think he's the key figure responsible for the inability to come from behind, whether that be due to his player selection, play calling, or strategy. I frequently question his player selection and development in certain areas, as well as his ability to adapt to his players' strengths. Finally, I feel that he is, like many coaches, loyal to a fault. Richard Smith and Frank Bush were good examples of this, and Marciano may well be the latest example.

I don't think I have an issue with him being ranked #13. He's going to have to improve in order for the team to win a Super Bowl, but he's good enough that some might think he's capable of making that jump. I know people will point to his record over the past two years, but it doesn't mean much, really. The Oilers had seven straight seasons of a head coach putting up good win totals and that never even resulted in a conference championship game, much less a Super Bowl.

Again, JMO.
Old 06-05-2013   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no problem with Kubiak at 13.

However, I have to disagree with the top of the list. Jim Harbaugh over Coughlin, the man with two rings already? I think Harbaugh could be considered top five for the last couple of seasons, but c'mon man, rings rings rings.
Old 06-05-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Top guys should correlate with their QBs mostly, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

After the coaching job Arians did with the Colts last year, I don't see how he's ranked that low.

Kubiak's got to win more playoff games as an HC before he can move up much further than that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #6
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've got no problem with Kubiak at 13.

However, I have to disagree with the top of the list. Jim Harbaugh over Coughlin, the man with two rings already? I think Harbaugh could be considered top five for the last couple of seasons, but c'mon man, rings rings rings.
Coughlin is #1 in leading teams to second-half season collapses, yes.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

1. Bill Belichick
  2. Jim Harbaugh
  3. John Harbaugh
  4. Tom Coughlin
  5. Sean Payton
  6. Mike McCarthy
  7. Mike Tomlin
  8. Mike Shanahan
  9. Jeff Fisher
  10. Andy Reid
  11. Mike Smith
  12. John Fox
  13. Gary Kubiak
  14. Marvin Lewis
  15. Pete Carroll
  16. Rex Ryan
  17. Leslie Frazier
  18. Jason Garrett
  19. Jim Schwartz
  20. Bruce Arians
  21. Joe Philbin
  22. Mike Munchak
  23. Greg Schiano
  24. Chuck Pagano
  25. Ron Rivera
  26. Chip Kelly
  27. Marc Trestman
  28. Doug Marrone
  29. Mike McCoy
  30. Gus Bradley
  31. Rob Chudzinski
  32. Dennis Allen

As they mentioned in the video, lot of 4-12 teams. How did he differentiate one from the other? What makes one 4-12 team different from another 4-12 team?

I'd also like to know what makes Jim Harbaugh a better coach than Pete Carroll, they pretty much did the same thing, but Jim is 14 spots better?

It is what it is, don't mean a whole lot of nothing in the overall scheme of things. But something to talk about I guess.

How in the heck is Jim better than John?
Old 06-05-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
After the coaching job Arians did with the Colts last year, I don't see how he's ranked that low.

Kubiak's got to win more playoff games as an HC before he can move up much further than that.
How many play off wins does Mike Smith have? Or is that a Kubiak only rule?
Old 06-05-2013   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I never got past this question. Lost all credibility with me when he put Jim (who hasn't won a SB or ever beaten his brother head-to-head) over John.

Logic capability = Very suspect

then again, what else is there to talk about?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I never got past this question. Lost all credibility with me when he put Jim (who hasn't won a SB or ever beaten his brother head-to-head) over John.

Logic capability = Very suspect

then again, what else is there to talk about?
Meh... Where is Nute Rockne or Vince Lombardi on this list???
Old 06-05-2013   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

That ranking is about right for Kubiak. He shouldn't be in the top ten anyway. But he is much better than a lot of the head coaches out there. Even though I'm not a Kubiak supporter, it's obvious we could be doing MUCH MUCH worse.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Meh... Where is Nute Rockne or Vince Lombardi on this list???
You're looking for THIS List....

Top NFL coaches by the decade.

Spoiler Alert!!
in the 80s Bill Walsh came in second to Joe Gibbs. And the reasoning for that was pretty good.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read