Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2013   #301
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So this whole, "I'm working my butt off to get back." Is just empty talk from the player? ?
Most professional players will put in the necessary work into getting back into shape........and it may feel that they are "working their butt off to get back." But beyond that, I wouldn't put much into statements like that.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #302
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Listening to Williams I'm beginning to think more and more that the IR stash for the Texans is an actual thing.

Says he feels good, but they keep pushing the date back and he's fighting them to try to get back but ultimately will do what the professionals tell him to do.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a setback or see him come back but re-injure himself. Just in time for the IR stash.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #303
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Listening to Williams I'm beginning to think more and more that the IR stash for the Texans is an actual thing.

Says he feels good, but they keep pushing the date back and he's fighting them to try to get back but ultimately will do what the professionals tell him to do.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a setback or see him come back but re-injure himself. Just in time for the IR stash.
With how tenuous the OT situation is, I would tend to believe that this is not an IR ploy, more an underestimated injury.
Old 06-05-2013   #304
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
The entire #texans team in attendance at reliant stadium for the memorial for the 4 fallen Houston firefighters pic.twitter.com/hoOwtDyb3m

PDS ‏@PatDStat
DeAndre Hopkins birthday tmrw RT @Nukdabomb: 21 tomorrow , I need some bday

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Most FG kicking work done on side field. Today was first day in simulated pressure in front of team/media

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Tho Bullock did some deep FG during practice, not being automatic for someone w/ his inexperience is a concern.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Worked on more situational football: red zone, no huddle, live kicking in front of team/media.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: In middle of practice, saw missing jet flyover. Lots of police directing traffic in area.

@HoustonTexans OTAs cut short this morning due to team going to firefighter memorial. Felt sad. Helicopters hovering, bagpipe sounds, sirens

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
"It keeps things in perspective. Looking forward to going in there and showing our support." Gary Kubiak on today's #HFD memorial service

K Randy Bullock was "excellent" on kickoffs today and 6-of-8 on FGs, Kubiak said. "Lot of confidence in him." #Texans

Gary Kubiak said 2nd-year QB Case Keenum is "playing really well" and has thrown maybe 1 INT throughout OTAs #Texans

Gary Kubiak on rookie TE Ryan Griffin: "He's got a chance to be a really good player. I think he could get bigger, too." #Texans

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said bone spur has been bothering Duane Brown. He's getting it shaved this morning #Texans

LT Duane Brown is having minor surgery this morning for a bone spur in his ankle. Will be fine for training camp #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #305
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Worked on more situational football: red zone, no huddle, live kicking in front of team/media.
Gots to be a typo.
Old 06-05-2013   #306
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an additional tweet:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 4h
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak said Bullock was good on kickoffs today, 6-8 in live practice kicks. "Need him to be automatic."

Bullock is going to be a concern all camp until he is not. And even then games are different.

As for no huddle, they work on it when they do situational stuff. Was a challenge last year do to changes on the line.
Old 06-05-2013   #307
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's an additional tweet:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 4h
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak said Bullock was good on kickoffs today, 6-8 in live practice kicks. "Need him to be automatic."

Bullock is going to be a concern all camp until he is not. And even then games are different.
Oops, must have deleted that one by accident.

There goes my shot at getting that job at PFT as a news/feed aggregator.

I agree on Bullock. He's already got two strikes against him: 1) he's a kicker, 2) he's a young, unproven kicker.
Old 06-05-2013   #308
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Oops, must have deleted that one by accident.

There goes my shot at getting that job at PFT as a news/feed aggregator.

I agree on Bullock. He's already got two strikes against him: 1) he's a kicker, 2) he's a young, unproven kicker.
3) He has not felt in-game pressure in well over a year.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #309
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You've seen a few OTAs, tell us with a comparison to previous years WRs corps how the 2013 version stacks up. Are they better/worse than the 2012 squad?
I've been to all the OTAs. Haven't written up all of them because at some point the macro view is more important than the micro view.

My view of the WRs:

1. Last year I did not buy into the hype of any of the WRs. They had up and down days, and I think some folks got overly down on Posey, overly up on Jean and Martin. They all looked inconsistent to me. It also did not help that Schaub didn't work with them during OTAs because he was still rehabbing foot.

2. I do think Jean and Martin look more consistent this year. I do not think that is hype. What that translates on the field, I do not know.

3. Hopkins is different than every WR the Texans have acquired post-AJ. Just very impressive. Great, great hands. Very physical. He isn't getting a ton of targets but makes the most of them. I don't think the talk about him is hype.

He won't get a ton of twitter talk during this phase of OTAs because he is working with 1s, working against 1st team defense, isn't getting a ton of targets because healthy JJo is covering him as consistently as a Jags tarp.

I am not sure of how many targets Hopkins will receive but Hopkins is exactly as advertised. Strikes me as a bright guy too. (Sometimes you interview guys and it is like looking into the eyes of a cow. Texans haven't kept a lot of those guys).

4. Bonner is getting a lot of targets from backup QBs/against backup corners. He is making the most of those targets, has shown good body awareness. When he runs routes, looks like he's on rails. Flashy catches mean lots of tweets about him. He's intriguing, but don't know how it will translate to real man football.

5. Overall the group of WRs look like they belong. In shorts. There isn't a Trindon/Jean's first year guy out there looking confused.

I'll be doing a complete OTAs wrap up on Thursday.
Old 06-05-2013   #310
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

I didn't feel good about Bullock when we drafted him (For the life of me, I never understood why if we drafted a kicker, we would have passed on Zerlein). I didn't feel any better after seeing him kick prior to his injury last year. And I have even less of a warm fuzzy feeling going into this season with him as the "Chosen One."
Old 06-05-2013   #311
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote sheet today. Short practice. Very, very up tempo. Fortunately because it was early, it was cool (ish):

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on why it was so important to go the Firefighter Memorial Service at Reliant Stadium as a team) “Our community means so much to us as an organization, that goes without saying. These players, they come from all over the country and they become a Houstonian. We put a team together and get very close to our city and it something that we talked about as a team with the players the other day. We get so much support from them and its time for us to show our support for these families and the people that serve our city on a daily basis. It’s interesting; we’ve had a few things happen this offseason with coaches’ families and a few things going on. It kind of makes you stop and we’ve got a lot of other things other than football going on in our lives that we’ve got to handle, too. We want to help these families handle this situation.”

(on if there was a different feel at today’s OTA session) “Obviously you know something’s going on all morning and to see the fire trucks lined up down Kirby (Drive) as we walked over. I think it keeps things in perspective for you, what’s going on. But we were able to get out here this morning, have a good workout. Obviously looking forward to going in there and showing our support this morning.”

(on TE Ryan Griffin finding open spaces in the last few days) “Yeah. He has a chance to be a really good player and I think he can get bigger, too. So we’re excited. He fits the mold with what we do at tight end with the guys we have. He’s very smart and I saw him make a few plays out here today. It was a good practice. We were only out here about an hour and 20 minutes trying to teach no-huddle and hurry-up. I think we got a lot out of it.”

(on the pace of the OTA session being good) “It was very good. It’s kind of good, too, that it happens at 8 in the morning because that’s when we practice during camp so it teaches those rookies how to get their clock going early and get over here. We try to simulate as much as what we’re fixing to go do, so it was a good practice.”

(on the play of QB Case Keenum) “He’s playing really well. You all see it. You all come out and watch practice. He’s got a ton of confidence. He knows exactly what’s going on this year, so that’s not going to be the problem. It’s just a matter of getting it done and he’s operating that way. Every time he’s gotten a chance with his group he’s made plays and he’s protected the ball well, too. That’s one thing I’ve been impressed with. I think he’s thrown maybe one interception throughout the course of the OTAs, so he’s come a long, long way.”

(on QB T.J. Yates) “(QB) T.J. (Yates) is fine. When you’re working as the (No.) 2 (quarterback), you’re working against the first-team defense in certain drills, so that’s a tough deal. I understand that. I did that for a while. But T.J.’s doing good. He had the OTAs. I think he’s made progress off the last year but he’s getting pushed and he knows it and it’s going to make them both better.”

(on what he’s seen from K Randy Bullock) “I don’t watch him as much with (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) until we start doing the team stuff here. But I thought today in kickoffs he was excellent. I think he was 6-of-8 today in field goals. We need him to be automatic but we’ve got a lot of confidence in him. That’s why he’s the only guy here, basically. We need him to come on real quick for us. Need it to get done.”

(on when FS Ed Reed will be in Houston) “He’ll be here next week. He’ll be here basically for just an evaluation process. Obviously he can’t do anything. But, well on top of what’s going on. We know who’s working with him in Atlanta and then we’ll get him here next week.”

(on LT Duane Brown’s health) “I was going to tell you guys that but nobody asked. (LT) Duane (Brown) was not here this morning. Duane has a bone spur that’s been bothering him somewhere in his ankle area and made a decision yesterday to go ahead and shave it. So he’s having that done this morning. It’s a minor procedure. He’s fine. We just want to make sure it’s something that’s not a problem when we go to camp, so we decided to do it.”

(on if he expects LT Duane Brown to be fine in time for training camp) “Yeah. I expect him to be fine in a couple weeks. It’s just a decision we made yesterday. It’s bothered him the last couple days and he doesn’t need to go through a whole year worrying about that so that’s why we did it.”

(on if there are any other injuries) “(DE Earl) Okine did not practice today. He’s got a leg bruise but should be back next week with the guys.”

(on if anyone stuck out during the OTA session) “I’d have to go back and look; we were practicing so fast this morning. I thought some good things happened. Obviously, we changed the tempo of practice and it caught some young guys off guard, as far as some of the things they were doing. But yet, you saw some other guys keep up real well. It was a good day.”
Old 06-05-2013   #312
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Steph,

I hear that Newton looks like the Goodyear blimp. In my previous posts, I mentioned that a patellar tendon rupture surgery is not an easy recovery, especially in an already heavy player like a lineman. It can be a total deal breaker when that player due to inactivity allows himself to gain a very large amount of weight. I have heard that Newton is up around 345-350 pounds. Can you comment on this?
Old 06-05-2013   #313
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He won't get a ton of twitter talk during this phase of OTAs because he is working with 1s, working against 1st team defense, isn't getting a ton of targets because healthy JJo is covering him as consistently as a Jags tarp.
OK, that made me laugh.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #314
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote sheet today. Short practice. Very, very up tempo. Fortunately because it was early, it was cool (ish):
Next time you get to ask questions, can you ask if he's thought about the rosters & positions yet? Is he already thinking about the 53? or does that come later?

& who surprised him the most so far?
Old 06-05-2013   #315
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next time you get to ask questions, can you ask if he's thought about the rosters & positions yet? Is he already thinking about the 53? or does that come later?

Not going to answer for GK, but I would assume that he knows who the locks are...Who the very likely to make it are and who are the guys fighting to make the team on the bubble...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #316
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Old 06-05-2013   #317
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

I don't think he is even close to thinking about that.

A lot has to do with who is healthy and when, and who they think will become healthy so they can stock the practice squad properly.

I've talked to him in late August, right before final cuts, and he isn't spilling much beans.

I can try the last question, but I'm not sure how much I can get.

It is hard to ask him questions that he doesn't give a generalized answer to.
Old 06-05-2013   #318
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
We're gonna go with the best 53.

When we know, you guys will know.

I like our team.

Its very competitive when you go from Xxxxx to Xxxxx to Xxxxx. How many do you keep?

Hes played really good.

Hes getting better and better.

Hes got a lot of confidence in what hes doing.
Old 06-05-2013   #319
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I didn't feel good about Bullock when we drafted him (For the life of me, I never understood why if we drafted a kicker, we would have passed on Zerlein). I didn't feel any better after seeing him kick prior to his injury last year. And I have even less of a warm fuzzy feeling going into this season with him as the "Chosen One."
I don't think I've ever felt confident in our kickers since the start of the franchise.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #320
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I'm expecting a general answer.... a cryptic I didn't really say much Kubiak answer. I'd like to "see" how he reacts though. Body language, tone, what generalities he makes.

What he is willing to say, what he's not, & how far he goes.

Even the 53 man roster, I'm sure he's not going to give us any names, not even Foster or Schaub, or OD who we know will make it. But if he says he's given it some thought..... I would take that to mean he's got a really good crop of yung'ns, or if he mentions TEs..... or whatever.

Basically I'm just looking for some lines to read between.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read