Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Duane Brown has emergent ankle bone spur removal

Surgery was this morning. They say he will be back for TC.

If there is a small bone spur that is giving chronic pain, the surgery is elective and arthroscopic.

When it is an emergency arthroscopic surgery, it usually means that there is an acute "impingement" of the ankle joint, where soft tissue or bone fragments are caught in the joint space, and does not allow for normal movement of the anke joint.......sometimes freezing any joint motion altogether.

The former type of spur may only require 1-3 weeks for return to play.
The latter "impingment" type may require as long as 3-6 months for return to play.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-05-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: TITLE
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Duane Brown has emergency ankle bone spur removal

Great. Just got the text from 610am about this.

Not what I wanted to see this morning. I'm hoping as Cloak described, its the former type of spur, not the latter.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

So new injury or is it something he just decided needed surgery to correct?
Old 06-05-2013   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, better to have it cleaned up now than lingering throughout the season.
Old 06-05-2013   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So new injury or is it something he just decided needed surgery to correct?
Had issues for the past month

Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
The spur has been bothering Brown for about a month. Worst case he'll be out a month. #Texans
Old 06-05-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

More reps for Q, Williams, Gardner and Harris
Old 06-05-2013   #7
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
More reps for Q, Williams, Gardner and Harris
Williams is out till camp, at best.

More reps for Q, Gardner, and Harris.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2013   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Surgery was this morning. They say he will be back for TC.

If there is a small bone spur that is giving chronic pain, the surgery is elective and arthroscopic.

When it is an emergency arthroscopic surgery, it usually means that there is an acute "impingement" of the ankle joint, where soft tissue or bone fragments are caught in the joint space, and does not allow for normal movement of the anke joint.......sometimes freezing any joint motion altogether.

The former type of spur may only require 1-3 weeks for return to play.
The latter "impingment" type may require as long as 3-6 months for return to play.
Emergency?

I didn't get that sense from Kubiak.

Two days ago, Duane Brown left OTAs slightly early before walk thrus. We asked Kubiak about injuries and he sort of just gave us the all good.

Yesterday vets didn't practice. He was there. He was walking around fine. No limp, nothing that looked wrong at all. He rode his Segway back to the stadium after practice was done.

Kubiak was saying today that the ankle was bothering him a little so they figured they'd do something now so it wouldn't be a problem later in the season.

So given your definition, not sure it is emergent. Kubiak didn't seem terribly concerned but it isn't his ankle.
Old 06-05-2013   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown has emergent ankle bone spur removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Emergency?

I didn't get that sense from Kubiak.

Two days ago, Duane Brown left OTAs slightly early before walk thrus. We asked Kubiak about injuries and he sort of just gave us the all good.

Yesterday vets didn't practice. He was there. He was walking around fine. No limp, nothing that looked wrong at all. He rode his Segway back to the stadium after practice was done.

Kubiak was saying today that the ankle was bothering him a little so they figured they'd do something now so it wouldn't be a problem later in the season.

So given your definition, not sure it is emergent. Kubiak didn't seem terribly concerned but it isn't his ankle.
I'm not sure that I understand your last statement......."but it isn't his ankle."

Nevertheless, even when you have "impingement," you can usually walk without a limp or ride a Segway. You will many times have significant problems only when you put the foot in strained dorsiflexion (as an OT must always do when he forcefully pushes off) that it reveals itself. That's why it is commonly referred to as "football ankle."

If the ankle begins to impinge, the problem becomes emergent, much like a knee that begins locking up or giving out. You are correct, I should have not used the word "emergency" as in the type of case where a person is bleeding out and needs to be taken to surgery immediately. I appreciate your comments.

Old 06-05-2013   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure that I understand your last statement......."but it isn't his ankle."

Nevertheless, even when you have "impingement," you can usually walk without a limp or ride a Segway. You will many times have significant problems only when you put the foot in strained dorsiflexion (as an OT must always do when he forcefully pushes off) that it reveals itself. That's why it is commonly referred to as "football ankle."

If the ankle begins to impinge, the problem becomes emergent, much like a knee that begins locking up or giving out. You are correct, I should have not used the word "emergency" as in the type of case where a person is bleeding out and needs to be taken to surgery immediately. I appreciate your comments.

Oh, I was just meaning to say that Kubiak didn't seem overly concerned but that it wasn't Kubiak's ankle. You know, it's *minor* surgery if it is done to somebody else.

It sounded more like a pain issue over a while versus an impingement, but because of timing, they wanted to deal with now instead of wondering about it during the season.

But I saw the headline of this thread and it sounded more alarming than what I thought Kubiak was saying about it.
Old 06-05-2013   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Duane Brown has emergent ankle bone spur removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Oh, I was just meaning to say that Kubiak didn't seem overly concerned but that it wasn't Kubiak's ankle. You know, it's *minor* surgery if it is done to somebody else.

It sounded more like a pain issue over a while versus an impingement, but because of timing, they wanted to deal with now instead of wondering about it during the season.

But I saw the headline of this thread and it sounded more alarming than what I thought Kubiak was saying about it.

Old 06-05-2013   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213157 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

okay... now is it time for...

I'm ready. Just say the word.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Reminds me of Brian Westbrook who underwent "minor" ankle arthroscopic surgery for a bone spur coincidentally also exactly on June 5.......... 2009.

From USA TODAY:

Quote:
Jun 05, 2009

Is Brian Westbrook's surgery more serious than first described?

The ankle surgery Eagles RB Brian Westbrook is having may be more serious than the team and the player's agent are indicating.

"I'm just concerned that it is being underplayed," an Eagles insider told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It's a lot more than a little spur and it's much more than the knee arthroscopy he had (in February)."

Agent Todd France told ESPN the surgery on the right ankle, described as a "debridement," is "minor."

ESPN reported that it could take up to six weeks before Westbrook could begin running on the ankle again.

Westbrook might be able to play through the pain if this were the regular season. But with more than three months until Week 1 the Eagles and Westbrook have the luxury of time in repairing the ankle.

Westbrook returned to begin practice August 15.

He continued to have ankle swelling and related performance problems well into October.

As Texans Chick put it........"minor" surgery is what other people have.
Old 06-06-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Reminds me of Brian Westbrook who underwent "minor" ankle arthroscopic surgery for a bone spur coincidentally also exactly on June 5.......... 2009.
Don't any of these "minor procedures" remind you of something with a happy ending?

Just one?
Old 06-06-2013   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

From quote sheet:

Quote:
(on the status of T Duane Brown) “Duane is fine. He’s here today. He just didn’t come over. He’s fine. I saw him in the cafeteria this morning. He’s doing good. (DE Earl) Okine is doing fine, possibly back next week. (WR) Lestar (Jean) has a family issue he’s dealing with today. (WR DeAndre) Hopkins is sick today. He came in this morning about 5:45 or 6, but he’ll be okay.”
Old 06-06-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Don't any of these "minor procedures" remind you of something with a happy ending?

Just one?
I believe I detect a hint of sarcasm. I would have to ask you how many Texans player "minor" surgeries have ended up with returns sooner than projected.

The problem today is that with the introduction of minimally invasive and arthroscopic surgeries applicable to more and more types of problems, it is easy to try to equate these "minor" surgeries to minor recoveries. The smaller incisions lend themselves only to less trauma, and do have a positive effect on the recovery. The structures manipulated inside are the major determinants to recovery.

Keep in mind that, for example, bone spurs are not spontaneous tumors such as fatty tumors. Bone spurs in the ankle are growths that occur as a result of repetitive trauma to the joint, with loss of cartilage where the bare bone beneath (already arthritic) grows and heaps up abnormally (a spur). Shaving the spur will typically relieve the pain for a while, and stop the rubbing of this projection into other tissues (including the apposing joint surface) that it would otherwise eventually destroy. Whatever damage has been done is not reversed. Mainly, further damage is delayed.
Old 06-09-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe I detect a hint of sarcasm. I would have to ask you how many Texans player "minor" surgeries have ended up with returns sooner than projected.

The problem today is that with the introduction of minimally invasive and arthroscopic surgeries applicable to more and more types of problems, it is easy to try to equate these "minor" surgeries to minor recoveries. The smaller incisions lend themselves only to less trauma, and do have a positive effect on the recovery. The structures manipulated inside are the major determinants to recovery.

Keep in mind that, for example, bone spurs are not spontaneous tumors such as fatty tumors. Bone spurs in the ankle are growths that occur as a result of repetitive trauma to the joint, with loss of cartilage where the bare bone beneath (already arthritic) grows and heaps up abnormally (a spur). Shaving the spur will typically relieve the pain for a while, and stop the rubbing of this projection into other tissues (including the apposing joint surface) that it would otherwise eventually destroy. Whatever damage has been done is not reversed. Mainly, further damage is delayed.

You really need to change your name to RayOfSunshine.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213157 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What, exactly, did you think the "dagger" part referred to?

I'm just waiting for him to break out his new avatar

...just to be clear, Doc is the one dressed in black.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The Pencil Neck,

I originally posted that there could be a less than a 3 week return to play if it were not "impingement."

After Texans Chick stated that Kubiak said the ankle was bothering him for a month and they wanted not to deal with it later, it made me somewhat suspect of the "quick" timing. NFL players commonly complain of minor ankle bone spurs. However, they are typically placed on long-term conservative treatment because even "minor" surgery may result in a not always predictable and longer than expected recovery. Only one month of treatment would be somewhat unusual, unless something acutely occurred, such as impingement. Fortunately, there are ~2 months before TC, and we will all hope that the Texans decision to operate was well-founded and allows him to return by then.
Old 06-09-2013   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What, exactly, did you think the "dagger" part referred to?

I'm just waiting for him to break out his new avatar

...just to be clear, Doc is the one dressed in black.
I used to read that comic book when I was a kid. Maybe, that's why I grew up "dark."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read