Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans Garbage Time Strategy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Can you look at the times we were in 3rd and 10 or longer and ran the ball and then do a comparison.

I didn't say we never threw the ball. What I was saying is that I'd like to see Kubiak let Schaub and the offense try to make a play more often.
I think that was the case either when we had the lead or it was early in the game. I don't think it was Kubiak not trusting Schaub, it was Schaub not taking the chance.

Kubiak said as much in one of his interviews. It got to be such a joke, I think it was McClain, most likely Warner, that asked. He told them we were in "such & such" a situation so many times I called this play or that play... once there was a penalty, twice Matt checked it to a run, & they got the play off once (for a big gain & I think that's the way the question was framed, "why don't we see that more often")

Matt looks at the defense before the snap & if we're in good position (score or time wise) he won't take the chance.

I only hope that next year they work a HB screen into the "audibles" y'know. Sometimes they run the draw (there was a time when I used to say, "We never run the draw"), sometimes they run the screen, sometimes Schaub snaps the ball & sees what happens (like you said, he can always throw it away).
Old 06-04-2013   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Can you look at the times we were in 3rd and 10 or longer and ran the ball and then do a comparison.

I didn't say we never threw the ball. What I was saying is that I'd like to see Kubiak let Schaub and the offense try to make a play more often.
To KNOW as some assert that Kubiak doesn't "let Schaub and the offense try to make a play" we'd have to know....

1. what play Kubiak actually called and what options said play presented to the offense (how can we say Schaub's on a lease if we don't know how the play is designed)
2. which of those options Schaub saw (did Schaub look deep and option 1 wasn't open? Did he have time to look deep?)
3. why Schaub picked the option he picked. (at the end of the day, it's Schaub, not Kubiak, with the ball in his hand.)

I guess I'm of the opinion that any plays/yards/points "left on the field are the fault of the guy with the ball in his hand more than the guy calling the plays.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #23
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 30419 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
3rd and 11+ Schaub 28 attempts, Foster 15 attempts.
In the football world that's pretty close...and I'm not talking horseshoes and hand grenades close either.

See, because I think (glad we're back on topic)...I think...well, there seemed to be a marked difference in how we started the season, i.e. passing to set up the run vs. how we ended: running to set up the pass.

We have a compelling article on how the Texans use their garbage time, which passes the eye test for many, including myself.

Now...how many of Schaub's 3rd and 11+ passes occurred at the beginning of the season, and how many later in the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
twice Matt checked it to a run, & they got the play off once (for a big gain & I think that's the way the question was framed, "why don't we see that more often")

I only hope that next year they work a HB screen into the "audibles" y'know. Sometimes they run the draw (there was a time when I used to say, "We never run the draw"), sometimes they run the screen, sometimes Schaub snaps the ball & sees what happens (like you said, he can always throw it away).
Because Kubiak is subconsciously limiting Schaub with Kube's own backup QB mentality. Kube's doesn't want to limit. He trusts Schaub. He trusts Schaub as much as Dan Reeves trusted him. And I'm basing this, now, off of studying the obvious psychological tells that Kubiak puts off, regardless of his offensive genius (and he is). As every man has faults, this is Kubes' biggest...bigger than the good-ol'-boy mentality.

I'm not even knocking Kubes here, because of course I admit I'm speaking in the abstract. Still, I believe Kubiak will live or die by that sword, until he gets a QB who he feels is way better than he ever was as a player. Until then, he will continue to dote over his backup QBs, a bit too much, much to the love of Yates and Keenum.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #24
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 30419 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Since it looks like I might have killed this thread, I'll only add this and rest my case. From Kubiak's press conference today:

Quote:
(on QB T.J. Yates) ď(QB) T.J. (Yates) is fine. When youíre working as the (No.) 2 (quarterback), youíre working against the first-team defense in certain drills, so thatís a tough deal. I understand that. I did that for a while. But T.J.ís doing good. He had the OTAs. I think heís made progress off the last year but heís getting pushed and he knows it and itís going to make them both better.Ē
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at 2012 stats is a little skewed.

It is clear that the Texans with a big lead are more inclined to run, and can run.

They believe their defense can hold the lead now. More often than not they were right. Why bail out opposing defenses by doing more risky plays. Just shove it down their throat.

Love seeing that number at the bottom that lists how much time each team had a game lead.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read