Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2013   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lestar Jean??????????????????????-

If we want to really round out the receivers, we need a Dre and an Andreo.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The reason I said 4 is that we very seldom go with 5 WR sets. Our 5-wideout sets tend to be 3 WRs, 1 TE, & 1 RB or 4 WRs and 1 TE.

But Cak is right, we carried 5 last year and the year before. So maybe 5 is the number this year too.

I know this has been explained before, but one more time for us memory challenged folk.... Posey will likely start the year on the PUP list right? So does that give us another spot until he returns? I mean, we'll have the 53-man roster + the PUP guy... right?
You can PUP as many guys as you want but you have to specify them, I believe, before Training Camp starts. They have to start Training Camp on PUP. If they come off PUP before the season starts, they can't be put back on PUP. They can't practice with the team but they can work with the doctors and trainers on rehabbing their injury.

If they're on PUP when the season starts, then they're off the table for several weeks (can't remember offhand how many, I think it's 6 weeks) and then they have a couple of weeks to bring that player back and get him up to speed or put him on IR. At that point (assuming you don't put him on IR), he becomes one of the 53 and you have to drop someone. They do not count against the roster until that point.

So Posey should be named PUP going into TC. Then he should be named PUP going into the season. And then we will see if he's ready when his PUP time is used up.

If we put him on IR, he doesn't count against the 53 but all he can do is work with the doctors and trainers on rehab. We COULD put him on IR with the possibility of coming back later. That way, he doesn't count against the 53, he doesn't have to start off on PUP, and he could come back at any time. BUT... you can only do bring back 1 IR'd player, iirc. So we should save that for a player who goes down during the season that we think we can get back for the playoffs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You can PUP as many guys as you want but you have to specify them, I believe, before Training Camp starts. They have to start Training Camp on PUP. If they come off PUP before the season starts, they can't be put back on PUP. They can't practice with the team but they can work with the doctors and trainers on rehabbing their injury.

If they're on PUP when the season starts, then they're off the table for several weeks (can't remember offhand how many, I think it's 6 weeks) and then they have a couple of weeks to bring that player back and get him up to speed or put him on IR. At that point (assuming you don't put him on IR), he becomes one of the 53 and you have to drop someone. They do not count against the roster until that point.

So Posey should be named PUP going into TC. Then he should be named PUP going into the season. And then we will see if he's ready when his PUP time is used up.

If we put him on IR, he doesn't count against the 53 but all he can do is work with the doctors and trainers on rehab. We COULD put him on IR with the possibility of coming back later. That way, he doesn't count against the 53, he doesn't have to start off on PUP, and he could come back at any time. BUT... you can only do bring back 1 IR'd player, iirc. So we should save that for a player who goes down during the season that we think we can get back for the playoffs.
You are correct. It would be unwise to use up this valuable option except when one of our more experience-proven "invaluable" players go down DURING the season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The reason I said 4 is that we very seldom go with 5 WR sets. Our 5-wideout sets tend to be 3 WRs, 1 TE, & 1 RB or 4 WRs and 1 TE or 1 RB.

But Cak is right, we carried 5 last year and the year before. So maybe 5 is the number this year too.

I know this has been explained before, but one more time for us memory challenged folk.... Posey will likely start the year on the PUP list right? So does that give us another spot until he returns? I mean, we'll have the 53-man roster + the PUP guy... right?
I think if we get our OL back to 5 plus 2, the starting 5, a swing tackle, a guard/center backup...... then we can go to 6 WRs & 4 TEs. That will help out our special teams tremendously... I think.

I also haven't heard anything official to suggest Posey will be on the PUP list. I think it's 50/50
Old 06-02-2013   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think if we get our OL back to 5 plus 2, the starting 5, a swing tackle, a guard/center backup...... then we can go to 6 WRs & 4 TEs. That will help out our special teams tremendously... I think.

I also haven't heard anything official to suggest Posey will be on the PUP list. I think it's 50/50
Speaking of which, what IS the story on Posey and what's the projected schedule for return?
How's his rehab going?
Is he here or rehab-ing elsewhere?
I don't recall hearing anything other than he had surgery... Bring a brother up to speed, pleeze
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #46
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of which, what IS the story on Posey and what's the projected schedule for return?
How's his rehab going?
I don't recall hearing anything other than he had surgery... Bring a brother up to speed, pleeze
Brother ObsiWan,

I would not have high hopes for him avoiding reserve PUP. He had his ruptured Achilles repaired on Jan 19 (along with a finger fracture he had been playing with). With all the time he missed last year (not to mention before we drafted him) plus this set back plus it takes time to become game ready...........plus the fact that he will definitely have significant performance deficit for at least the first half of the season, if not longer or permanently, don't expect him not to be placed on reserve PUP going into the season. And don't be shocked not to see him back at all this year, or if he does return, he has little impact since PUP doesn't allow practice with the team.
Old 06-02-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Brother ObsiWan,

I would not have high hopes for him avoiding reserve PUP. He had his ruptured Achilles repaired on Jan 19 (along with a finger fracture he had been playing with). With all the time he missed last year (not to mention before we drafted him) plus this set back plus it takes time to become game ready...........plus the fact that he will definitely have significant performance deficit for at least the first half of the season, if not longer or permanently, don't expect him not to be placed on reserve PUP going into the season. And don't be shocked not to see him back at all this year, or if he does return, he has little impact since PUP doesn't allow practice with the team.
Have you spoken to Infantrycak about this?

No reason to go all, "Worse case scenario" here.
Old 06-02-2013   #48
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brother ObsiWan,

I would not have high hopes for him avoiding reserve PUP. He had his ruptured Achilles repaired on Jan 19 (along with a finger fracture he had been playing with). With all the time he missed last year (not to mention before we drafted him) plus this set back plus it takes time to become game ready...........
Doc - how much time did he miss last season? He was active for 13 of 18 games, and I'm not sure that any of the 5 he wasn't active for were injury related (three of them were the first three games of the season). He was injured in the last game of the season, so until OTA's, the achilles didn't cost him a minute of practice time. I'm just not sure whether the idea that he missed a bunch of practice time in 2012 is accurate.

Also, his last year at Ohio State (The year he was suspended almost the entire time) - while he was suspended from playing, he wasn't suspended from practice, and he did spend the whole season practicing with the team. So while he wasn't playing in games - up until the very end of the season - he did practice the entire season.

I'm not saying he won't end up on reserve PUP - I think it's extremely likely he will (and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go from there to IR). I'm just not sure that part of your post is accurate.
Old 06-02-2013   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Don't use Suggs as an example to base opinion. First of all, Posey felt a big pop and suffered a complete Achilles rupture. Suggs as it turns out had a small tear and was repaired with minimal invasive approach. When Suggs first returned, he had one decent showing..........against us. After that performance was not impressive..........and he is a wiley vet.

Coincidentally:

Quote:
Suggs tells Crabtree to take his time with Achilles

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 30, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT

While expecting 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree to miss the season because of last week’s torn Achilles seems the conventional wisdom, some point to Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs’ comeback a year ago from the same injury as a reason for hope.

But Suggs said it’s hard to compare injuries, and pointed out that even though he was on the field the end of last season, he was far from himself.

“I was still effective against the run because you can play the run with your legs and your arms,” Suggs told Clark Judge of CBSSports.com. “But as far as pass rushing, you need a tremendous amount of explosion, and I didn’t have that right off the bat for a large portion of the season. . . .

“I can’t tell you for sure what [Crabtree] should expect when he comes back because it’s different for players at different positions. For me, my explosion didn’t really get there until the end of the season. So, my guess is that he wouldn’t be Michael Crabtree right off the bat.”

Suggs said the hardest part of preparing himself for those early stages of the recovery was literally doing nothing. Athletes are conditioned to work, and not pushing himself too fast is crucial with such an injury.

“The first two-and-a-half to three months he’s going to have to be patient and content within himself,” Suggs said. “Because he can’t move. My doctor told me, ‘You’ve got to give me three months, . . . just three months, . . . of lying down and not doing anything. No hobbling around on it, nothing like that. You can’t move. Nothing.’ So he shouldn’t try to lift his upper body.
Explosiveness as a WR will be the ultimate key to Posey's success or failure.
Old 06-02-2013   #50
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brother ObsiWan,

Thanks Dr. J. The debrief is much appreciated even if it isn't great news.

Quote:

You ain't foolin' nobody... I'd rather have some idea what worse case might look like to get my mindset right. I'd bet YOUR paycheck you would too.

And if DP beats the odds somehow and comes back to contribute saaay during Nov/Dec/Jan then that's gravy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Doc - how much time did he miss last season? He was active for 13 of 18 games, and I'm not sure that any of the 5 he wasn't active for were injury related (three of them were the first three games of the season). He was injured in the last game of the season, so until OTA's, the achilles didn't cost him a minute of practice time. I'm just not sure whether the idea that he missed a bunch of practice time in 2012 is accurate.

Also, his last year at Ohio State (The year he was suspended almost the entire time) - while he was suspended from playing, he wasn't suspended from practice, and he did spend the whole season practicing with the team. So while he wasn't playing in games - up until the very end of the season - he did practice the entire season.

I'm not saying he won't end up on reserve PUP - I think it's extremely likely he will (and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go from there to IR). I'm just not sure that part of your post is accurate.
Kubiak made several statements about Posey's need to catch up from his college experience:

Quote:
Kubiak said of Posey: “He has a lot of talent, a lot of ability. You could tell in OTAs and stuff that he had missed a lot of football, but I see him catching up.
Chronicle

Looking at his stats last year, I would have to say that he did not have very plentiful game play time. Near the end of the season (week 12), he was inactive and thereafter dogged for several more games all with hamstring and knee problems.
Old 06-02-2013   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Don't use Suggs as an example to base opinion.
I made no prediction, rather asked a question and referenced Crabtree. Crabtree injured his 4 months after Posey, they are both WR's and folks are talking 6 months for him. In any event, I have always expected Posey to start on PUP.
Old 06-02-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I made no prediction, rather asked a question and referenced Crabtree. Crabtree injured his 4 months after Posey, they are both WR's and folks are talking 6 months for him. In any event, I have always expected Posey to start on PUP.
Didn't say you made a prediction whatsoever.

I thought your point was there's a good & bad scenario & personally I'd like to talk about the good & bad, at least until the good's been ruled out.

For instance, in the BrennanWilliams' thread. CnD stated if Williams is not available for mini-camp, then that means his injury was more severe than the Texans are letting on.
Old 06-02-2013   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Didn't say you made a prediction whatsoever.

I thought your point was there's a good & bad scenario & personally I'd like to talk about the good & bad, at least until the good's been ruled out.

For instance, in the BrennanWilliams' thread. CnD stated if Williams is not available for mini-camp, then that means his injury was more severe than the Texans are letting on.
There can always be that very exceptional scenario, but the last thing you want is to bring someone with an Achilles back too soon and find that you need to put him on IR. Realistically, coming back and having some semblance of decent contribution at the second half of the season or playoffs if we make it, would be considered a very good scenario.
Old 06-03-2013   #55
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fwiw

Quote:
mark berman @markbermanfox26
texans receiver devier posey, on the bounce back from a torn achilles: "i should be on the field next week doing drills."
Quote:
mark berman @markbermanfox26
texans devier posey, on return from torn achilles to game action: "end of september or october. "i think i'm as far along as i can be."
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #56
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why everything got lower cased...
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #57
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How's his rehab going?
Without any setbacks like infection, I think they will put him on PUP for the first half of the season and activate him for the 2nd half.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

On local Fox network last night June 27th, Kubiak stated Jean and Martin were among players the most improved over last season. Man, I like Lestar's size & speed if he could just develop into an everyday player our WRs corps could be great.
Old 06-27-2013   #59
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On local Fox network last night June 27th, Kubiak stated Jean and Martin were among players the most improved over last season. Man, I like Lestar's size & speed if he could just develop into an everyday player our WRs corps could be great.
Agreed.

Jean has flashed playmaker ability but like Kubes says, he needs to show consistency. If he can, I agree, look out! This WR corps could be exciting!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #60
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

aww I gave up dis guy he prob wont even make the team we are pretty stacked now in terms of WR
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read