Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2013   #81
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32693 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates vs Case Keenum (Training Camp/Pre season 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ok.

I won't argue with your opinion.

But I do believe that if Keenum wins the back up QB position there will be even more pressure on Schaub to perform and a good chunk of the fan base will become even less patient with Schaub because it'd mean Keenum would be next in line.

I think it's going to be an interesting dynamic throughout camp to see if Keenum is really given an opprotunity to overtake Yates. And if so, whether or not Yates can hold him off.
There will be pressure on Schaub to perform because he's an NFL QB. It doesn't matter who his backup is.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #82
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
There will be pressure on Schaub to perform because he's an NFL QB. It doesn't matter who his backup is.
What part of "even more" don't you understand?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #83
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32693 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What part of "even more" don't you understand?
I understand. I just disagree.

What part of "doesn't matter" don't YOU understand?
Old 06-02-2013   #84
ArTex
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respected

If Texans didnt anticipate local fanatic support or "circus" when acquiring Keenum, and consider that to be a big distraction, they shouldnt have brought him in. They could have stayed with the subtle route of Yates or gone with someone else.

He's on the team. If he belongs and is worthy of #2 depth spot, then thats where you put him regardless of attention. If Keenum is ever a legit playable option, there won't really be a "perfect time" to do it without attention. Its just gonna come with the territory.

Might sound odd but, I think Kubiak is playing it right. He's saying that its hard COMPETITION AGAINST his starting QB as a THREAT. But he's not directly MARGINALIZING his accomplished starting QB (like how everyone wants). Its letting everyone know its a business all the same.

If this was a rebuilding team then the fan favorite support would actually work as a marketing charm as long as Keenum doesnt completely suck. But since its a WIN-NOW team for the SB, then Keenum just better be GOOD ENOUGH to fit into that plan.

There still won't be anything wrong with Yates as backup and Keenum 3rd string, it'd still mean he's moved up and another year closer.
ArTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #85
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm starting to think your definition of "mediocrity" is whatever the Texans are doing and wherever they are in the standings.
Not true

I just dont think the will ever win a SB with Schaub as QB or Gary as HC. Every yr they continue to lead this team is a yr wasted. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #86
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTex View Post
If Texans didnt anticipate local fanatic support or "circus" when acquiring Keenum, and consider that to be a big distraction, they shouldnt have brought him in. They could have stayed with the subtle route of Yates or gone with someone else.

He's on the team. If he belongs and is worthy of #2 depth spot, then thats where you put him regardless of attention. If Keenum is ever a legit playable option, there won't really be a "perfect time" to do it without attention. Its just gonna come with the territory.

Might sound odd but, I think Kubiak is playing it right. He's saying that its hard COMPETITION AGAINST his starting QB as a THREAT. But he's not directly MARGINALIZING his accomplished starting QB (like how everyone wants). Its letting everyone know its a business all the same.

If this was a rebuilding team then the fan favorite support would actually work as a marketing charm as long as Keenum doesnt completely suck. But since its a WIN-NOW team for the SB, then Keenum just better be GOOD ENOUGH to fit into that plan.

There still won't be anything wrong with Yates as backup and Keenum 3rd string, it'd still mean he's moved up and another year closer.
there is more talk on this message baord about Case Keenum than anywhere else. He IS NOT some sort of distraction because the 2% of Texans fans who care about both coog football and the texans mention him more than if he went to East Carolina or Arkansas State or Idaho. I have a first thing first attitude toawrds him. he managed to stick around last year (good), he is at least challenging TJ yates (good), let him clearly out play TJ Yates and win the 2nd job.
Old 06-02-2013   #87
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not true

I just dont think the will ever win a SB with Schaub as QB or Gary as HC. Every yr they continue to lead this team is a yr wasted. IMHO
When they were 8-8 and not in the playoffs, there wasn't much to be said. That's middle of the road and although for me "mediocrity" has connotations of being LESS than just middle of the road, 8-8 and not in the playoffs could easily fit the description of mediocre.

For me 5-7 wins is more my definition of "mediocre."

But 12-4 or 10-6 and winning the division and winning a playoff game is not.

From your quoted statement, it seems that anything less than a SB is mediocre. And, to me, that's just a mis-use of the word.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When they were 8-8 and not in the playoffs, there wasn't much to be said. That's middle of the road and although for me "mediocrity" has connotations of being LESS than just middle of the road, 8-8 and not in the playoffs could easily fit the description of mediocre.

For me 5-7 wins is more my definition of "mediocre."

But 12-4 or 10-6 and winning the division and winning a playoff game is not.

From your quoted statement, it seems that anything less than a SB is mediocre. And, to me, that's just a mis-use of the word.
How many yrs were they 7-9, 9-7? Dexman has it posted somewhere.

How much farther did they get in the playoffs last yr with their vet QB, vs a late rd rookie QB? That may be good enough for some people, but I want to see progress.

Fans in Houston have been programmed to the aww shucks routine of good is good enough. I'm not one of those kind of fans, sorry my sights may be set too high for most on this MB. But to me with football/business etc it's about win or else and if you dont set you're goals to be the best then you never will be the best.

PS, how many yrs does Gary get before the we will have to adjust to a new offense routine wears out? 8 yrs? 10 yrs? 20 yrs? When would you say enough is enugh? I think Gary did his best job coaching since he's been here last yr. BTW
Old 06-02-2013   #89
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Not true

True.
Old 06-02-2013   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not true

I remember back when Kubiak was hired. We discussed what would make this organization successful.

We all (for the most part) agreed that winning the SuperBowl is a one in a million kind of thing. There have been many "successful" teams that did not win Super Bowls. & most of us were fine with that.

Perrenial Play-Offs, that's what we considered successful.

But ever since we said that, we've continued to move the target on Kubiak's regime. Most likely because we "feel" like we were close. Whether we had a 6-10 team, or an 8-8 team, we thought we should have won the SuperBowl.

Now I'm not saying I don't want this team to win the SuperBowl, only that you never know. I guarantee you go back over the last 7 or 8 years, the team you thought was going to win it..... didn't.

So we'd all be better off, & this clubs chances of winning a Super Bowl would be better, if we thought like you did.
Old 06-02-2013   #91
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I remember back when Kubiak was hired. We discussed what would make this organization successful.

We all (for the most part) agreed that winning the SuperBowl is a one in a million kind of thing. There have been many "successful" teams that did not win Super Bowls. & most of us were fine with that.

Perrenial Play-Offs, that's what we considered successful.

But ever since we said that, we've continued to move the target on Kubiak's regime. Most likely because we "feel" like we were close. Whether we had a 6-10 team, or an 8-8 team, we thought we should have won the SuperBowl.

Now I'm not saying I don't want this team to win the SuperBowl, only that you never know. I guarantee you go back over the last 7 or 8 years, the team you thought was going to win it..... didn't.

So we'd all be better off, & this clubs chances of winning a Super Bowl would be better, if we thought like you did.
I never did get an answer on how long Rick/Gary get before they lose there jobs? I will answer my own question, a long time, because BoB doesn't like traumatic things like change.
Old 06-02-2013   #92
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never did get an answer on how long Rick/Gary get before they lose there jobs? I will answer my own question, a long time, because BoB doesn't like traumatic things like change.
It isn't a McNair thing. It is rare as hell to see a coach and GM fired when they are going 12-4 and winning the division.
Old 06-02-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How long do they get for what?

Win a SuperBowl? I'm sure they get as long as any other winning combination. Or even non-losing. Remember when we wanted them gone, that was Rick's only losing season & Gary's second.

I know other teams have been less patient with their Coach/GM, but for the life of me I can't think of one that is in a better position than the Texans are today.
Old 06-02-2013   #94
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many yrs were they 7-9, 9-7? Dexman has it posted somewhere.

How much farther did they get in the playoffs last yr with their vet QB, vs a late rd rookie QB? That may be good enough for some people, but I want to see progress.

Fans in Houston have been programmed to the aww shucks routine of good is good enough. I'm not one of those kind of fans, sorry my sights may be set too high for most on this MB. But to me with football/business etc it's about win or else and if you dont set you're goals to be the best then you never will be the best.

PS, how many yrs does Gary get before the we will have to adjust to a new offense routine wears out? 8 yrs? 10 yrs? 20 yrs? When would you say enough is enugh? I think Gary did his best job coaching since he's been here last yr. BTW
That's all well and good and great for you for having such high standards. But you need to use a word other than "mediocre" because that word does not mean what you're wanting to communicate. According to your definition, the Patriots are a mediocre team as were the Colts during the Manning-era.

Are we where we want to be? No. But as hard as it is for you to get your head around, we're a winning team now. We're not mediocre by any stretch of the definition.
Old 06-02-2013   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Welcome to the Pittsburgh model of Football Front Officery. How long did Cowher get?

As long as the Texans are a successful team, Rick and Gary should keep their jobs and under this ownership, WILL keep their jobs. I know that you just want them fired no matter what the results are but it's not going to happen.

If Rick and Gary win a SB, you're still going to be griping and saying they should be fired because they didn't win more of them.
Old 06-02-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If Rick and Gary win a SB, you're still going to be griping and saying they should be fired because they didn't win more of them.
Or that we didn't win by 20

Or that we got a lucky break on a bad call

Or that we've only won it once in 12 years

Or some other nonsense.
Old 06-02-2013   #97
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was a thread discussing whether Yates or Keenum should be #2 on the depth chart...

Where did we go off the rails?
How did this devolve into a fire Kubiak thread??
Who's responsible for this?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #98
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I understand. I just disagree.

What part of "doesn't matter" don't YOU understand?
I understand. Just had nothing to do with the post I quoted. Seems like your comprehension is poor.

Feeling additional pressure has nothing is not the opposite of not feeling any at all.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It isn't a McNair thing. It is rare as hell to see a coach and GM fired when they are going 12-4 and winning the division.
Says Schottenheimer/Jimmy Johnson/Shula (2 yrs after going 13-1,) Todd Haley and Lovie Smith fired this yr after winning 10 games. Firing successful HC's being fired isn't as uncommon as you might think. It is around Texans land though.

BTW, I was against firing Gary this offseason. I actually think he did a masterful job coacing a team with a hurt QB/WR and had depth issues to a 12-4 record.
Old 06-02-2013   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Welcome to the Pittsburgh model of Football Front Officery. How long did Cowher get?

As long as the Texans are a successful team, Rick and Gary should keep their jobs and under this ownership, WILL keep their jobs. I know that you just want them fired no matter what the results are but it's not going to happen.

Correct under BoB as long as they win a little and fans keep comming they keep their jobs. (Got it)

Pretty presumptious of you to know how I will feel after the Texans win a SB. Hope we have a chance to have that discussion at a later date. You are wrong however if you think I want Rick/Gary fired no matter what. Winning a SB seems to be a lower priority for some than others.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read