Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2013   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lestar Jean??????????????????????-

Fair or not, this should be a bubble year for Jean. He'll make the team due to the injury to Posey and our lack of depth at WR but if he doesn't step up next season then he needs to be given his walking papers and a Burger King job application.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Fair or not, this should be a bubble year for Jean. He'll make the team due to the injury to Posey and our lack of depth at WR but if he doesn't step up next season then he needs to be given his walking papers and a Burger King job application.
I don't think Jean is a lock to make the roster.
Lemon is a very capable receiver, even though he mainly played in the slot at Syracuse. He can afford the Texans to play Martin more on the outside to utilize his speed, giving AJ and Hopkins a breather now and then.

And then you have Andy Cruse who could be a sleeper.
He's got the size and the tenacity in blocking;
Just the kind of receiver that Kubiak likes in the mold of KW.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think Jean is a lock to make the roster.
I wonder how many receivers we're going to carry. I'd like to get back to the days when we commonly used 3 receiver sets, throwing 4 & 5 out there every now & then.

Not a TE spread wide, or a RB in disguise, true 4 WR sets.
Old 06-01-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder how many receivers we're going to carry. I'd like to get back to the days when we commonly used 3 receiver sets, throwing 4 & 5 out there every now & then.

Not a TE spread wide, or a RB in disguise, true 4 WR sets.
I don't think it works to Schaub's strength.

Some people may say that I'm obscene to even suggest the following, but a guy like Keenum can make it works better as he has a super quick release.
With 4 receivers, one of them needs to get open quickly, if only for just a short hair. You want a QB who can get the ball there in a flash.

Schaub, IMO, is better suited with TE(s) in the mix;
They may not be quite open, but they could have the size advantage.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some people may say that I'm obscene to even suggest the following...
Not obscene... out of your fking mind.

But not obscene.
Old 06-01-2013   #26
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it works to Schaub's strength.

Some people may say that I'm obscene to even suggest the following, but a guy like Keenum can make it works better as he has a super quick release.
With 4 receivers, one of them needs to get open quickly, if only for just a short hair. You want a QB who can get the ball there in a flash.

Schaub, IMO, is better suited with TE(s) in the mix;
They may not be quite open, but they could have the size advantage.
Until Keenum shows he can recognize and read NFL defenses at Schaub's level that quick release is kind of a "so what". That day may be coming, but it ain't here yet. And yes, I know you didn't say it was.

...back to topic (before this devolves into another Schaub Sucks thread), is this Lestar's last year of practice squad eligibility? The roster posted at HT.com says this is his 2nd year. That sounds wrong. I thought this was his third year.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #27
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Until Keenum shows he can recognize and read NFL defenses at Schaub's level that quick release is kind of a "so what". That day may be coming, but it ain't here yet. And yes, I know you didn't say it was.

...back to topic (before this devolves into another Schaub Sucks thread), is this Lestar's last year of practice squad eligibility? The roster posted at HT.com says this is his 2nd year. That sounds wrong. I thought this was his third year.
Well he was IR'd his rookie season so i guess it gives him another year of eligibility. He was active for too many games last year i think though to make him eligible for the practice squad. If i'm not mistaken i think it's 8 games or more.
Old 06-01-2013   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Well he was IR'd his rookie season so i guess it gives him another year of eligibility. He was active for too many games last year i think though to make him eligible for the practice squad. If i'm not mistaken i think it's 8 games or more.
Quote:
A player is eligible for the practice squad if they have not accrued a season of free agent eligibility according to the NFL's rules. In essence, a player has to have not been on a team's 46-man active game-day roster for more than eight games in any accrued seasons, and cannot have been on a practice squad for more than two years. A player may be placed on a team's practice squad a third time, but only so long as that team maintains 53-players on their active/inactive roster. If the team should drop below 53-players, the third year practice squad player will automatically be elevated to the main roster.

A player is considered to have served on the practice squad if he is on it for three regular season or postseason games during each of the first two years. In the third year, one game counts for practice squad participation.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Lestar Jean is a #4 receiver best case who can make a nice play once every few games. I'm not sure why everyone tries to believe he is something more.
size, speed and need = hope
Old 06-01-2013   #30
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Jean is a lock to make this roster and unless he proves something, he probably won't.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
I don't think Jean is a lock to make this roster and unless he proves something, he probably won't.
His problem has been injury more than anything. This will be his third year. All he's got to do is stay healthy.
Old 06-02-2013   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He has completed 2 years. He's going into his third year.

He was active for 14 games last season, I think. And that means he's no longer PS eligible.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's interesting to see these comments that Jean was generating this exact same time last year:

http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/v...c.php?t=285480
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's interesting to see these comments that Jean was generating this exact same time last year:

http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/v...c.php?t=285480
In all honesty, I don't feel any different. Though my opinion isn't based on OTAs or pre season. I'm only going by what I saw during the regular season. I think I saw someone with the tools to be a very productive receiver in this league.

Good speed, good hands, big catch radius, & play making ability.

I think he couldn't get on the field for the same reason we went into turtle mode everytime we were up by three or more points.

There's a lot of pressure on Kubiak & he's feeling it. Every win is so precious that our guys were playing tight, in December, because of it. They never were able to loosen up.

So Kubiak went with what he thought was a sure thing in KDub & not your potential play makers in Jacoby Jones (who they cut (which I'm fine with, just not cutting Jj in favor of KDub) & LeStar Jean.

Had they put that kind of trust in Jacoby, or LeStar I think we'd have had a much better year. They make mistakes, I'm not going to lie or try to make you believe otherwise. But you've got to let them play through those mistakes to reap the rewards.

There wasn't going to be any rewards with Walter.

Funny though. That was one of the things I liked about Kubiak. Back in 2006, I thought he got fed up with Carr because he was so conservative he didn't give Andre or OD an opportunity to make a big play. I liked that Kubiak allowed Sage to sling it, mistake or no & try to make up for it on the back end.

We just didn't have a team capable of making up for those mistakes.

Now we do & he won't unleash them.
Old 06-02-2013   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he couldn't get on the field for the same reason we went into turtle mode everytime we were up by three or more points.
There's one BIG problem with your statement here. You're assuming he wasn't on the field.

He WAS on the field last year. But for one reason or another (and I don't think it's the play call), he didn't get the ball thrown to him. I don't know if he wasn't open or if he wasn't consistently in the right places so that Schaub didn't trust him to be there or what, but I remember seeing him on the field quite a bit last year.
Old 06-02-2013   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jean has missed his window to break into the starting line up. In OTAs and T/C prior to the 2012 season, Walter was his only real comp. Yes, Posey and K.Martin had been drafted but he had a year in our system under his belt and they were rooks trying to learn.

Now K. Martin has that year of experience so that edge is gone. We all know that #2 is Hopkins' to lose, and from the early returns he won't. I don't think we'll carry more than 4 WRs unless one of them excels on special teams. The current roster at HT.com shows ten guys in the WR position. At the risk of stating the obvious, the #1 spot is unquestionably nailed down and the #2 spot is 90% a given at this point. Eight guys for the last two spots. Going by what I've heard from our on-the-spot bloggers, I'd give Bonner the edge for #3. So Jean has to beat out K. Martin, J. Maehl, and all the rest to earn that spot. If Posey was here and healthy, I doubt Jean would have a chance.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Jean sticking.

But, OTOH, there's still T/C and preseason. So there's time to move up the depth chart. But the competition is much tougher than it was last year this time and much, much tougher than when he got here.
Old 06-02-2013   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I don't think we'll carry more than 4 WRs unless one of them excels on special teams. The current roster at HT.com shows ten guys in the WR position.
For some reason I was thinking we'd keep 6

Andre
DeAndre
Devier
Keyshawn
LeStar
Bonner
Old 06-02-2013   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Jean has missed his window to break into the starting line up. In OTAs and T/C prior to the 2012 season, Walter was his only real comp. Yes, Posey and K.Martin had been drafted but he had a year in our system under his belt and they were rooks trying to learn.

Now K. Martin has that year of experience so that edge is gone. We all know that #2 is Hopkins' to lose, and from the early returns he won't. I don't think we'll carry more than 4 WRs unless one of them excels on special teams. The current roster at HT.com shows ten guys in the WR position. At the risk of stating the obvious, the #1 spot is unquestionably nailed down and the #2 spot is 90% a given at this point. Eight guys for the last two spots. Going by what I've heard from our on-the-spot bloggers, I'd give Bonner the edge for #3. So Jean has to beat out K. Martin, J. Maehl, and all the rest to earn that spot. If Posey was here and healthy, I doubt Jean would have a chance.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Jean sticking.

But, OTOH, there's still T/C and preseason. So there's time to move up the depth chart. But the competition is much tougher than it was last year this time and much, much tougher than when he got here.
^^^ This is very close to what I feel. MSR.

I think we'll probably carry 5 instead of 4 but other than that and the fact that I think Martin is ahead of Bonner. Yeah.

1 - Andre
2 - Deandre
3 - Martin -- "the" slot guy
4 - Bonner -- all-purpose guy who could have a big future
5 - A ST player who would be Posey if he wasn't injured.

And then the guys with PS eligibility.

So I give Jean slightly more of a shot than you because I have that 5th slot and I think he does/has played gunner on ST. If we go with 4, I don't see any way he makes the team but even then, when Posey comes back, Jean is done.

Jean was a guy we had hopes for but at least at this point, he doesn't look like he's been able to cut it.
Old 06-02-2013   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we'll carry more than 4 WRs unless one of them excels on special teams.
Quote:
For some reason I was thinking we'd keep 6
The last two years we have carried 5 occasionally bumping to 6.
Old 06-02-2013   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

The reason I said 4 is that we very seldom go with 5 WR sets. Our 5-wideout sets tend to be 3 WRs, 1 TE, & 1 RB or 4 WRs and 1 TE or 1 RB.

But Cak is right, we carried 5 last year and the year before. So maybe 5 is the number this year too.

I know this has been explained before, but one more time for us memory challenged folk.... Posey will likely start the year on the PUP list right? So does that give us another spot until he returns? I mean, we'll have the 53-man roster + the PUP guy... right?

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read