Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2013   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
(Rotoworld)The Texans and RE Antonio Smith have mutual interest in a contract extension.
From Rotoworld:
Quote:
Smith, entering his age-32 season, has one year left on his deal, and he currently counts $9.5 million against the cap. Smith hasn't missed a game in seven seasons. He and LE J.J. Watt make up one of the best end tandems in the league. The Texans are right up against the cap, so a camp extension could knock his number down and give the team some breathing room.
And Tania Ganguli
Old 05-30-2013   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

This is news? Oh oh oh offseason. Right. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

The Texans are right up against the cap, so a camp extension could knock his number down and give the team some breathing room.

YES! Sign a real NT with that money.
Old 05-30-2013   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

YES! Sign a real NT with that money.
A legit RT would be a better investment, I think. Why didn't this extension happen earlier in the offseason?
Old 05-30-2013   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure I am fan of this, outside of clearing short term cap space. The Antonio smiths of the world are the type of nice to pretty good players that a team should not want on its cap later in their career.
Old 05-30-2013   #6
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't that what they told Mario Williams? They were "interested" in resigning him?
Old 05-30-2013   #7
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Isn't that what they told Mario Williams? They were "interested" in resigning him?
Yeah but $100 million changed that real quick. And realistically the Texans knew they probably wouldn't be able to afford him and knew he wasn't worth near what the Bills were offering. Antonio shouldn't cost too much to extend. If for some reason he wants a big payday for what will most likely be his last contract then the Texans will let him walk.
Old 05-30-2013   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

#capspace

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

If you consider Rick Smith's 20/70/10 philosophy, the question is if Antonio fits into Rick's top ten, or group A. If not, then he will be offered considerably less than his current contract.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO no reason to do this UNLESS they have a FA target. They are under cap now by a bit so no urgency otherwise. June 1st cut maybe?
Old 05-31-2013   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
IMO no reason to do this UNLESS they have a FA target. They are under cap now by a bit so no urgency otherwise. June 1st cut maybe?
Getting Cushing signed to a contract extension using the $$ freed up by extending Smith is the best reason I see, but only if the numbers work out over the long term.

Signing Cush now could save the team tons of cash next year or the possibility of losing him to FA. There are lots of unknowns with Cush coming off of the ACL injury, but it seems reasonable to assume he will return to form rather than suffer a drop off in performance. Nobody will ever out try Cush. They might match him, but they won't out do him.
Old 05-31-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Getting Cushing signed to a contract extension using the $$ freed up by extending Smith is the best reason I see, but only if the numbers work out over the long term.

Signing Cush now could save the team tons of cash next year or the possibility of losing him to FA. There are lots of unknowns with Cush coming off of the ACL injury, but it seems reasonable to assume he will return to form rather than suffer a drop off in performance. Nobody will ever out try Cush. They might match him, but they won't out do him.
Why extend Smith for Cushng if the $9.5 cap hit from Smith leaves with Smith after this season? Now if they want Smith for longer than this season at lower price, cool but different issue. If afraid of losing Cush we can redo Smith anytime. I am hoping they have another target and it should be substantial.
Old 05-31-2013   #13
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why extend Smith for Cushng if the $9.5 cap hit from Smith leaves with Smith after this season? Now if they want Smith for longer than this season at lower price, cool but different issue. If afraid of losing Cush we can redo Smith anytime. I am hoping they have another target and it should be substantial.
If he's telling the Texans he wants to retire a Texan , then surely he is willing to play for a hometown discount right ? He just lost all his leverage if not ...

Like 610 was saying this morning , he has seen that the Nfl is no longer giving big contracts to older FA ie. Freeny and the guy formally of tha Falcons

Ps I did call u Sherly lol
Old 05-31-2013   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith hasn't missed a game in seven seasons. He and LE J.J. Watt make up one of the best end tandems in the league.
Is this true?

My perception here, as I thought Smith under-achieved last season when J.J. was getting so much attention from opposing offenses. Smith should have had a greater impact as a result. JMO
Old 05-31-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Is this true?

My perception here, as I thought Smith under-achieved last season when J.J. was getting so much attention from opposing offenses. Smith should have had a greater impact as a result. JMO
No. Smith has been great the last two years. Consider he's a DT, not a DE. He had great numbers for a DT or your traditional 3-4 DE, which he plays.

Those numbers from a true DE, a 4-3 DE, or the way JjWatt plays his position, wouldn't be anything to write home about. But as an interior player, which Smith is, Watt is not (except on passing downs) Smith had a very solid season. He's basically playing Warren Sapp's position.
Old 05-31-2013   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this true?

Antonio Smith is a beast and he has been playing great football. From a comparison standpoint, he looks like a slacker compared to JJ but... EVERYONE looks like a slacker compared to JJ. For his position, Smith has been putting up great numbers.

He's a great player and I don't want to lose him anytime soon.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No. Smith has been great the last two years. Consider he's a DT, not a DE. He had great numbers for a DT or your traditional 3-4 DE, which he plays.

Those numbers from a true DE, a 4-3 DE, or the way JjWatt plays his position, wouldn't be anything to write home about. But as an interior player, which Smith is, Watt is not (except on passing downs) Smith had a very solid season. He's basically playing Warren Sapp's position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Antonio Smith is a beast and he has been playing great football. From a comparison standpoint, he looks like a slacker compared to JJ but... EVERYONE looks like a slacker compared to JJ. For his position, Smith has been putting up great numbers.

He's a great player and I don't want to lose him anytime soon.
Don't get me wrong, I like Antonio Smith and hope the Texans keep him, as well.

I guess I was just kinda' surprised to see them described as "best end tandems in the league". But then again, just about anyone with J.J. Watt would be in the running since J.J. is such a phenom.

I guess my perception is that Antonio should have been even more of an impact with J.J. taking up so much attention on the other side. There were times last season when opposing QBs looked like they were getting too much time in the pocket. And with J.J. getting double, and even triple teamed, there should have been more consistent pressure on the pocket.
Old 05-31-2013   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this true?

Possibly. Or, and to be honest I haven't cued in on this, they concentrated on both Smith and Watt? More proof showing how poor out OLB play was by not winning one on ones. I know for a fact ( just me re-watching games) that Barwin couldn't win one on ones to save his life. When your OLBs stink like that, opposing Olines would roll protection to our two big boys inside.

Just a thought
Old 05-31-2013   #19
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I also think Antonio was playing hurt much of last year. He had that ankle injury week 1, and then his play kind of suffered for a while.

I'd like to see something worked out, but for a reasonable amount and length. Its no need to really clear up a ton of space this year since we really aren't going to adding any big names. There aren't any left.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
And with J.J. getting double, and even triple teamed, there should have been more consistent pressure on the pocket.
Truth is that both Jj & Antonio were getting double teamed on just about every snap & that's what made the lack of an outside rush unacceptable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read