Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2013   #261
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

SOTT Texans OTAs: Day Six Recap

Quote:
- Starting quarterback Matt Schaub looked the best today that he has all off season. Schaub threw some nice passes into tight spaces that only his wide receivers could catch. His best throw came on the sidelines when he threw a strike to Keshawn Martin over two defenders 30 yards down field on a sideline route. It was a throw that we havenít seen him throw often, but he was looking for Martin on the field to tell him nice catch. It was the first day Schaub looked really focused and actually showed emotion on the field after completing passes. He pushed the ball down field just out of the reach of Lestar Jean, but threw the ball effectively otherwise. Schaubís knowledge of the offense is impressive to watch and it is evident when he goes through his progressions on the field. He makes it look easy compared to the other three quarterbacks.

- It will be interesting to see what happens when Ed Reed returns, but there is a good competition between Eddie Pleasant and Shiloh Keo for one of the safety positions. Pleasant has taken a solid step in his progression as a safety and even knowing what the defense is asking. Pleasant has quick feet and has shown he can play against the better offensive players on the field. Fellow teammates like Brandon Harris and Johnathan Joseph have talked about Pleasant and the early impression he has made in OTAs.
- Alan Bonner had the catch of the day when he went high and elevated over a defender in traffic to haul a pass in from T.J. Yates. There was some positive chatter from his teammates watching from the sidelines. Bonner has shown his athletic ability like this more than once and today was another example.
read more: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...day-six-recap/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #262
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Thursday quote sheet.

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
DE J.J. Watt

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on RG Brandon Brooks) ďItís been really good. The biggest thing is any time youíve got a young player and you say, ĎOkay, youíre a starter.í The best thing you can have happen is that you donít really notice him. And thatís kind of whatís happened. He went in there, heís done his job. He understands what weíre doing now. Heís got the tools of a big-time player. So it will all just be up to him. Heís come a long way. I think heís very comfortable in his own skin right now in what heís doing and feeling good about himself.Ē

(on Brandon Brooks being penciled in as the starter at right guard) ďHeís right there. Thatís his. Heís got to line up every day and earn it. I think he worked through it last year and at the end of last year I think he was playing that way so I think heís earned the opportunity to be that guy, so weíll see if he can hang on.Ē

(on the relationship between WR DeAndre Hopkins and WR Andre Johnson) ďItís good. Iíll tell you what, when I watch it, to be honest with you, I think (WR) Andre (Johnson) first just because Andreís just always had such a load on this team of bringing on players and teaching and heís got enough stuff on his own plate. But here we go again. But thatís what heís all about and heís done a really good job with the young man. Heís on overload right now, the kid, but heís pushing and hanging in there. I think (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and (WR) Lestar (Jean) have come a long way, so itís the best group of young guys weíve had to work with and weíve got to get them all in the right spot.Ē

(on any new injuries) ďWeíre fine. (LG) Wade (Smith) got nicked a little bit at the end of practice, got his elbow hit. But I think heís fine. Weíve had a good clean week, other than the (RB) Arian (Foster) situation. Weíll take our time and get him healthy.Ē

(on the Texansí secondary) ďWell first off, weíve got great leadership back there with (CB Johnathan Joseph) J-Joe and (SS Danieal Manning) D Manning. Iím real impressed right now with the young guys. When I look at (SS) Eddie Pleasant, what heís become watching him. (FS) D.J. (Swearinger), obviously Iíve talked about him enough. (CB) Brandon Harris making plays out here every day. You see first-, second-, third-year players all the sudden start acting like five- or six-year players. And thatís the key to the team.Ē

(on what heís seen from rookie FS D.J. Swearinger after two weeks) ďConfidence. Heís got a ton of confidence. He just walks out here like he belongs and he does. I mean, heís got a ton of ability. Heís a smart player. When the ball is close to him, heís going to make the play. Thatís the difference between a good player and a great player in this league is being in the right spot and making big plays when you get there. Heís got a chance to make those plays.Ē

(on if rookie FS D.J. Swearinger is getting more opportunities with FS Ed Reed not being at OTAs) ďOh, yeah. Heís basically a starter out here from the standpoint of what we do dime-wise right now and working with (FS Shiloh) Keo. But working with a lot of starter reps. But heís going to be called on very quickly and heís sure acting like he can do it. Weíll just keep our fingers crossed, keep going.Ē

(on if he notices the year one confidence level of safeties Shiloh Keo, Eddie Pleasant and D.J. Swearinger) ďYou notice a difference in their confidence with our defense and what theyíre doing. When guys start to get that way all their athletic skill starts to show up. They donít slow down, they speed up when they get confidence in what theyíre doing. So thatís what you see.Ē

(on if there is a difference in the confidence level FS D.J. Swearinger has from that of FS Shiloh Keo and SS Eddie Pleasant in their first years) ďI donít know. I think thereís been an acceleration with (FS) D.J. (Swearinger) with the fact that (FS) Ed (Reed) is not here. So itís been a quick push, so itís showed up maybe a little bit quicker. Hey, thatís part of our business, thatís where weíre at, so weíve got to get that done.Ē

(on having a player as great as DE J.J. Watt be such a standout in the community) ďHeís amazing. I always worry about guys. I always tell them, ĎIf youíve got too much on your plate, let me know. Iíll help you because weíve got to have you playing good football.í Heís one of those guys that does so many things. Iíve never heard him complain one time. A special person, a special player, so we better enjoy it every day because they donít come along like that very often.Ē

(on people concerned with the percentage of offense that went through WR Andre Johnson last year) ďTell them a big percentage is going to go through him again.Ē

DE J.J. Watt
(on being a more vocal leader on defense) ďItís been going well. Iím doing a little bit more talking than Iíve done in the past but like I said at the beginning, it all starts with my play. If Iím not playing well, nobody wants to follow me. Iím just trying to make sure Iím the best player I can be.Ē

(on what he has seen from the team two weeks into OTAs) ďWeíve got workers. Weíve got guys that are committed. We have guys who come out here every day and are focused on getting better and thatís all you can do right now in this period, with no pads on. All you can do is focus on your technique and getting better.Ē

(on how NT Earl Mitchell has stepped up) ď(NT) Earl (Mitchell) is playing great. Earlís been a guy who got a lot of snaps last year. He knows how to play. He knows what itís like to be in that starter role and heís stepped in and itís been seamless. Heís playing very well for us.Ē

(on if it has been said to him that this is his team) ďIn my exit interview after last season with coach (Gary) Kubiak, we talked a little bit about my leadership role and taking a new step forward but for me itís more gradual. Obviously, I was very fortunate to be named a captain halfway through last year; just as I go, Iím just trying to take on a little bit more role each time. Iím a young kid and thereís a lot of vets on this team and Iím just trying to earn my stripes and prove that I belong and prove to the young guys what it takes to get here.Ē

(on if any of his offseason activities, including visiting Afghanistan helped develop his leadership skills) ďOf course. I think it all helps. I think, any time that you have an opportunity to go see different power structures, different men in the military who have different ranks and you see how things work and the way people handle it, itís definitely an advantage and it helps you in your own leadership capabilities.Ē

(on what heís trying to improve on his game now) ďIím working on everything. I do a lot well but I can do everything better. Thereís little things. Thereís a lot of little technique things. Iím going to be seeing a lot of double and triple teams, just like I did last year, so just finding new ways to improve. I mean, thereís always ways to improve no matter how good you are, you can always get better.Ē

(on offensive coordinators scheming to stop him) ďThatís good. I mean, I enjoy that. Iíve always said it; if youíre focused on just stopping me, youíre going to have a headache because you have to deal with (DE) Antonio Smith, (ILB) Brian Cushing, (OLB) Whitney Mercilus, (OLB) Brooks Reed, all those guys. I welcome all the challenges. I welcome every double team. I welcome every chip block. But Iím always working my tail off to make sure Iím prepared for that.Ē

(on the Houston Texansí Super Bowl aspirations) ďIf thereís a football team in this league right now that is not thinking about a Super Bowl, then show me them because thatís crazy. Every single team in this team is thinking about a Super Bowl right now and weíre no different. Weíve been to the playoffs, weíve won division championships. Logically, thatís the next step and thatís what weíre trying to do.Ē

(on being able to help in the community and play well) ďItís awesome. The way this community has embraced me, Iím trying to do everything I can to give back and show them that I appreciate them. And we have such great fans. Everywhere you go, you see so many fans and theyíre so great and any chance I get, Iíd much rather give back to the fans than play a video game or watch a television show. So instead of sitting on my couch, Iím trying to go out into the community and help every chance I can.Ē

(on if he is enjoying spending time with his team at OTAs) ďAbsolutely. I think thatís one thing about our team, we have great chemistry. The offseason stuff is fun. Iíve had a lot of great opportunities this offseason but on the field, thatís home to me. This is where I feel the most comfortable. This is where thereís no distractions. I just get to enjoy the game. I get to play my craft and be around my teammates. Iím having a blast and so it was a welcome sight for me to get back on the field. I enjoy it very much.Ē

(on the play of NT Earl Mitchell) ď(NT) Earl (Mitchell) is playing great. Earl has played great in the past. He knows what itís like to be a starter in this league. Heís playing starter reps and heís continuing to grow and heís continuing to get better. Heís getting more confidence and I think thatís the biggest thing.Ē

(on what the defensive line needs to improve on) ďWe have a very good defensive line but we can always get better. I mean, thereís a couple sacks we can get back, thereís some tackles we need to make. I think the run game, I think we need to shore up that run game, especially when weíre in our dime personnel when weíre in the run game, we want to make sure we shore that up.Ē

(on if there is a young player who has caught his eye in the last two weeks) ďI think one guy who has stepped in very nicely is (ILB Darryl) Sharpton. Sharpton is playing well. Heís gaining some confidence out there. Heís playing good football and you can tell as the days go on, he gets more and more confident in himself and thatís what these days are for. Thatís what these practices are for, gaining confidence.Ē

(on what it will mean to the defense when ILB Brian Cushing is back healthy) ďItís huge. (ILB) Brian Cushing is a player you love having out there because he flies around, he makes plays. Heís got a lot of energy and heís a great football player and any time heís on the field with you, youíre confident. Iím excited to get him back and we canít wait to have him out here at practice.Ē

(on NT Earl Mitchell saying that he is the best teammate heís ever had because he makes everyone want to be better) ďThatís a great compliment. I appreciate it and I think thatís my goal. Every day that I come to work, Iím trying to be the best I can and hopefully Iím pushing everybody around me. I think on this team, nobody likes to be complacent, nobody wants to be comfortable with second place running sprints, whether weíre doing a lift in the weight room or if weíre out here at practice. Weíre all trying to be the best. If Iím out front, Iím trying to (pull) everyone along with me and if somebody else is out front, Iím trying to catch them. Thatís just kind of the way we work.Ē

(on the difference for him in receiving national fame in addition to local fame) ďItís cool, man. Itís pretty cool. I enjoy it. I mean, this is the type of stuff you dream about as a kid. You dream about all these things that I get to do now. But for me, at the end of the day, it all comes back to on this field and that weight room and working hard because as quickly; I guess itís come over so many years, but it can go away so quickly. You work so hard. You work your entire life to build up something like this and it could be taken away so quickly if you donít play well. Iím trying to make it last as long as possible so every single day Iím putting in the work.Ē

(on how special it is that he makes people around him better) ďItís very special. It means a lot to me. To hear a teammate say something like that, itís very special. I can only hope I continue that for my entire career because thatís the ultimate goal. Itís nice to play good for yourself but when you can make people around you better, thatís what itís all about.Ē
Old 05-30-2013   #263
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on people concerned with the percentage of offense that went through WR Andre Johnson last year) ďTell them a big percentage is going to go through him again.Ē
OK that may have been the funniest response to a question I have ever heard. I wish I had it on video because his facial expression was a mix of WTF and GTFO. I barely finished the question before he answered it. I don't think it is on video because most cameras had run away by then. I sniped the question in the end.

This what I wrote about it on Twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 8h
Kubiak's facial expression to my q turned into words -> RT @davidmillican: This is ANDRE FREAKING JOHNSON guys. You give that guy the ball

Kevin Cooper was the Texans PR head who was recording that interview for the transcripts:

Kevin Cooper ‏@kevincooper44 7h
@StephStradley @davidmillican I was there and couldn't agreee more. That face was priceless.

Mostly asked the question for the fantasy football folks who wonder if the emergence of a possible real #2 means significantly decreased touches for AJ. Also asked the question because I've heard that point of view a lot, and think it is dumb. But I like putting out those questions that people think Are Concerns so that Texans folks can just address them and move on.
Old 06-01-2013   #264
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
OK that may have been the funniest response to a question I have ever heard. I wish I had it on video because his facial expression was a mix of WTF and GTFO. I barely finished the question before he answered it. I don't think it is on video because most cameras had run away by then. I sniped the question in the end.

This what I wrote about it on Twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 8h
Kubiak's facial expression to my q turned into words -> RT @davidmillican: This is ANDRE FREAKING JOHNSON guys. You give that guy the ball

Kevin Cooper was the Texans PR head who was recording that interview for the transcripts:

Kevin Cooper ‏@kevincooper44 7h
@StephStradley @davidmillican I was there and couldn't agreee more. That face was priceless.

I used this because there's not a "Well DUUUH" smiley

and thanks loads for keeping us in the know.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #265
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I used this because there's not a "Well DUUUH" smiley
How about...

Old 06-01-2013   #266
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

D.J. Swearinger impressing Texans in accelerated role

Quote:
With Ed Reed missing OTAs because of a hip injury, rookie safety D.J. Swearinger has been getting valuable reps with the Texans’ first-team defense.

Swearinger, a second-round draft pick from South Carolina, is working mostly with the second unit in base defense and with the first unit in dime packages along with safeties Danieal Manning and Shiloh Keo.

“I think there’s been an acceleration with D.J. with the fact that Ed is not here,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Thursday. “So it’s been a quick push.

“He’s basically a starter out here from the standpoint of what we do dime-wise right now and working with Keo. (He’s) working with a lot of starter reps. He’s going to be called on very quickly, and he’s sure acting like he can do it. We’ll just keep our fingers crossed, keep going.”
read more: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...e-6b703a32d0a6
Old 06-01-2013   #267
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How about...

Yeah, that works
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #268
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak would not characterize D being ahead of O. Said great things about [Brandon Brooks] @bbrooks_79 physical condition.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak not happy w/young player mistakes today. He says some of them were "on me." Seeing how much young guys can learn

@HoustonTexans OTAs: As Kubiak promised last week, today was more situational/red zone work. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Kubiak on new starting NT Earl Mitchell: "Everything this offseason, not just OTAs, has indicated that Earl's ready for his turn." #Texans

Bit of a sloppy practice today. Gary Kubiak said he put a lot on their plate, attributed sloppiness to that. #Texans

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Gary Kubiak on OLB Whitney Mercilus: "Very young player, but he’s obviously much improved in everything he’s done." #Texans

Gary Kubiak on NT @EarlMitchell92: "Earl's obviously a starter, and he acts like one right now." #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2013   #269
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...texans-healthy

"I'm just glad to have it[two sports hernias] behind me," [Johnathan] Joseph said. "I'm feeling better than I've ever felt. ... And I'm having probably the best OTAs (organized team activities) I've had in four or five years."
Old 06-03-2013   #270
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

“It’s been a long year for me. I can’t sleep at night. I think about football all the time." @DPo8 #Texans

WR DeVier Posey (Achilles) expects to be on the field next week doing drills. Has been running on an anti gravity treadmill #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-04-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2013   #271
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

ďItís been a long year for me. I canít sleep at night. I think about football all the time." @DPo8 #Texans

WR DeVier Posey (Achilles) expects to be on the field next week doing drills. Has been running on an @Alter_G #Texans

(for those that don't know , that's an anti-gravity treadmill)

Sounds like he's made a miraculous recovery if he's planning on being on the field next week .... He might make it difficult for those other young receivers to make the roster. Mael , Jean and Co better step it up ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #272
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Sounds like he's made a miraculous recovery if he's planning on being on the field next week .... He might make it difficult for those other young receivers to make the roster. Mael , Jean and Co better step it up ....
Learn something new every day. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #273
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Texans WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') is expected to be on the field "doing drills" at next week's minicamp.

Coach Gary Kubiak recently classified Posey's recovery as "ahead of schedule," and this is confirmation. Posey has been running on an anti-gravity treadmill, and his next step is to get on the field. We wouldn't expect him to do a whole lot, but it's a sign that the second-year wideout could contribute in 2013. Jun 3 - 6:07 PM
Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter
link

************************************************** *****************************

I'm certainly rooting for the kid, but "next step to get on the field"? "doing drills"? "this is a confirmation"?

To put this in perspective, it is important to understand the antigravity treadmill technology which was originally developed at NASA. It has been used for training runners, rehabbing stroke and Parkinson’s patients as well as rehabbing sports injuries for years. The treadmill works by pumping air into an enclosure that surrounds users from the waist down. They zip themselves in, and an increase in air pressure lifts them so they can run at a fraction of their actual weight (pressing the up/down arrows on the control panel decreases body weight at increments of 1 percent, as much as 80 percent). The reduction lowers the impact on joints and muscles to improve training and performance or help provide a smoother recovery from injury or surgery. Speed and incline are adjustable as with any treadmill. Running on this treadmill is very controlled. You're harnessed in so securely that you really don't feel any balance issues. Balance is obviously mandatory in unaided running stability........and that is a very big jump, and is the point where concern for injury/setback begins. The only controlled study with this treadmill has shown that it does not necessarily have any significant effect on the time that the patient is actually ready for “outside” running. However, the main advantage of this device is as a tool that allows the physician/trainer to determine when it is appropriate to most safely begin running outside (this has always been a problem). The criteria as determined by the study was allowing the patient to run outside after being able to run for at least 10minutes on the anti gravity treadmill at 85% of body weight.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #274
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link

************************************************** *****************************

I'm certainly rooting for the kid, but "next step to get on the field"? "doing drills"? "this is a confirmation"?

To put this in perspective
Doc... you mentioned before that Devier suffered a complete rupture of his Achilles. I've googled about as much as I can & haven't found anything that specific. Do you have info not available to the public?

Is it possible that it was not a complete tear?
Old 06-04-2013   #275
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
link

To put this in perspective, it is important to understand the antigravity treadmill technology which was originally developed at NASA. It has been used for training runners, rehabbing stroke and Parkinsonís patients as well as rehabbing sports injuries for years. The treadmill works by pumping air into an enclosure that surrounds users from the waist down. They zip themselves in, and an increase in air pressure lifts them so they can run at a fraction of their actual weight (pressing the up/down arrows on the control panel decreases body weight at increments of 1 percent, as much as 80 percent). The reduction lowers the impact on joints and muscles to improve training and performance or help provide a smoother recovery from injury or surgery. Speed and incline are adjustable as with any treadmill. Running on this treadmill is very controlled. You're harnessed in so securely that you really don't feel any balance issues. Balance is obviously mandatory in unaided running stability........and that is a very big jump, and is the point where concern for injury/setback begins. The only controlled study with this treadmill has shown that it does not necessarily have any significant effect on the time that the patient is actually ready for ďoutsideĒ running. However, the main advantage of this device is as a tool that allows the physician/trainer to determine when it is appropriate to most safely begin running outside (this has always been a problem). The criteria as determined by the study was allowing the patient to run outside after being able to run for at least 10minutes on the anti gravity treadmill at 85% of body weight.

Would be nice if one of these could be fabricated in the horizontal position so us old folks with bad backs or limited pulmonary function could...awh...just wishful thinking.

Old 06-04-2013   #276
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Doc... you mentioned before that Devier suffered a complete rupture of his Achilles. I've googled about as much as I can & haven't found anything that specific. Do you have info not available to the public?

Is it possible that it was not a complete tear?
Good question. Anything is possible. However, we have to go by the information that has been released thus far as being accurate. Posey was quoted as feeling as though her were "shot" when it happens. This description or a "snap" or a "pop" are all classic for describing what is felt when an Achilles ruptures. Rupture implies complete tear as opposed to partial tear.

From just one Feb 9 Chronicle article:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Texans receiver DeVier Posey, 22, underwent surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered in the Jan. 13 playoff loss at New England. It's too early in the rehab process to determine when he might be able to return.
I would love to claim this was a partial tear. However, putting the pieces together (if they are reported accurately), Posey experienced a complete tear.

Photo taken immediately after his injury affords additional valuable affirmation.

In the "Matles Test" the patient lies prone and the knee is flexed to ~90 deg. Any dorsiflexion of the foot indicates a ruptured (complete) tendon. Dorsiflexion in the supine position would be excrutiatingly painful for a partial tear.

Posey was later positioned when carted off with his knee straight and toes down to relax (remove the tension from) the Achilles tendon rupture/gastrocnemius muscle spasm.

Keep in mind that with a complete rupture a player may still be able to dorsiflex his foot, and he may experience only minor pain and swelling.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #277
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Even with all that it still doesn't sound like he'll be playing before sometime in October.

Quote:
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Texans receiver DeVier Posey, on the bounce back from a torn achilles: "I should be on the field next week doing drills."
Quote:
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Texans DeVier Posey, on return from torn achilles to game action: "End of September or October. "I think I'm as far along as I can be."
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #278
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

The entire #Texans team will attend Wednesday's memorial at Reliant Stadium for the 4 Houston firefighters killed in a motel fire last week

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Johnathan Joseph who sat today was coaching up as much as he could. Especially helping out the rookies on what to look for. #Texans

#Texans practice was at an high tempo in the redzone work. WRs and DBs are always pushing each other to get better.

Swearinger is a smart player. Shows a nice skill set to play press man and deep safety. More impressed w/him lining up the secondary.

Talked to DeVier Posey "I have been running on an air treadmill and should start running on the field next week sometime." #Texans

Hopkins understands how to create on broken plays. Made a tough catch over McCain on one. #Texans

Rookie TE Ryan Griffin also showed some pass catching skills. His 6-6 frame is a weapon itself. A viable redzone target. #Texans

Brandon Harris has a good day today. Him and Jean were a fun matchup to watch in the endzone. #Texans

Jeff Maehl and Lestar Jean also made some impressive catches today in the endzone. #Texans

It was the Alan Bonner show today. Made some tough catches today. #Texans

Hot day today at camp. Regular vets say today. All healthy. #Texans

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Some vet players sat today giving young players opportunities. Bonner, Jean had some tough catches

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Team did more redzone work. Kubiak noted he liked to give different young guys opps w/1s, like Case Keenum today.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Kubiak said Martin and Jean took a ton of reps with the ones today and might be the two most improved players in camp

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2013   #279
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Good question. Anything is possible. However, we have to go by the information that has been released thus far as being accurate.
I appreciate your whole post. But along the lines of "the information that has been released thus far...... "

That also includes Posey getting on the field next week & being "ahead of schedule"

Doesn't that point to less than a complete tear?
Old 06-04-2013   #280
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, the consistency of reports about Bonner impressing has become noteworthy.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read