Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2013   #161
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Any criticism you make of Schaub will be "debunked" by Schaubites.

He doesn't have scramble ability...well neither do Quaterback A or B and actually Quaterback Z does have scramble ability and he sucks...

He has a weak arm....Well according to the stats he completes a high percentage of passes over n yards...

He's not good in pressure situations...Well actually back in 200? he did this in this moment....

He's not an elite QB.....Well he may not be thought of as elite because he doesn't have a SB, but if you look at the numbers he does A, B & C just as good as this elite guy and he actually does D, C & E better than this elite guy...

Well I'll be damned. The guy doesn't seem to have many weaknesses at all. That's kind of strange considering the moments of greatness and pure awesomeness have not greatly overshadowed the moments where he's left holding his head in his hands because of some screw up or injury situation he's been involved in.

Schaub is a C- to B+ QB. That's not terrible. But he's not above reproach. He has his share of faults that could potentially hurt the team in important moments. At best Schaub is a distributor making the smart plays and feeding talented guys around him. At worst he's a guy that is trying to make plays. The guy is insulated by an offense that is QB friendly and lends itself to high percentage pass plays. Just about every QB that has played in this offense has looked better in it than most thought they would or better than they had played at any other stop.

Schaub doesn't suck. But he does have moments where he absolutely blows. He's not great, but he's had some great moments. But just from my perspective, he's sucked more than he's been great. And he's been average or good more than both.

Now see i can get with this...& for the most part I agree. the only thing i'll take issue with is the offense thing....quite frankly we don't know what Schaub would look like in another offense b/c he's really never got the opportunity to play extended time in another offense and with a better coach. I surmise that if Belichick could make Matt Cassel look like a competent starting qb in the NFL for a season, he could have Schaub looking like a HOFer...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #162
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only one of those things you named had something to do with plays not being made on the field and that was the tuck rule.

Other than that, those are big moments/plays being made when it mattered most.

Getting lucky is overrated. I'd rather be good than Lucky, because bad teams and mediocre teams making making mediocre plays and playing mediocre football aren't lucking their way into Championships. Normally the two teams in the Superbowl earned their right there by making plays. Not by getting lucky.
Being good only gets you to the playoffs...getting lucky many times is what separates a SB/championship appearance from going home. ultimately it doesn't matter what you'd rather be...it's what happens & you benefit from or lose out on when you meet up with teams that are just as good as you in the playoffs.

& lol....big moments/plays being made when it matters most falls on the entire team....not just 1 guy unless that 1 guy is solely responsible for the gaffe. Manning's escape from that near sack is a liiiiitttttttle less awesome if David Tyree doesn't come down with that ball. Frankly it turns into a downright stupid play/throw if Harrison prys it away for a pick and effectively seals the game for the Pats.

Nevertheless, does a lucky play here and there that wasn't entirely b/c of Eli make him that much better of a qb than Schaub?

How good the giants were didn't have anything to do with SF's Kyle Williams' 2 muffed punts that led to 2 scores for the Giants.

How good the Ravens were didn't have anything to do with Jacoby Jones muffing a punt on the 10yd line......that led to a score that ultimately was the difference in the game.

& you can't tell me that the greatness of Reggie Wayne is what allowed him to recover a fumble in the AFC championship game when he was in the grasp of 3 Patriots. likewise for the fumble recovery for the TD for the colts a few drives before that. These were the same plays that the Colts had been losing out on in previous years against the pats even though the colts were as good.
Old 05-30-2013   #163
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Nah, he'll win the super bowl than get Dilfer'd
I was watching NFLN last night & after they had a chat with Watt, they talked about Foster's calf sprain. While yaking about the awesomeness that is Arian Foster, they showed a few highlights of the big guy who is remarkably light on his feet.

One of the highlights was of his fingertip TD catch against the Bears. Watching that highlight, for the first time I saw Schaub escape the pocket & with pressure on his heels, throw that ball, that Foster eventually caught for the score.

Surely my eyes were deceiving me. So, since I didn't have the Bears game on my DVR anymore (one of my kids will pay) I decided to watch a bit of the Ravens game (as I just mentioned yesterday, that was one of the games I thought we dominated as a team). Much to my chagrin, we didn't score on any of our first three possessions, BattleRed or no.

Still, I saw an active Schaub moving deftly in the pocket (the first TD to Walter was a great sidestep by Schaub) & make plays outside the pocket. I also saw a few times he bought his receivers time, then either missed, receiver dropped, or he was bailed out by Andre.

I know people want to blame Schaub's failing health throughout the year, & I know both the Chicago & Ravens games were before the bye. But even after the bye, I saw no drop of in his physical play. He still managed to get outside the pocket, but he was more reluctant to pull the trigger. That doesn't say "residual LisFranc" to me. That says he lost trust in his receiving core.

& if you've kept up with TexansChick's blog, she did a piece which showed the poor catch percentage of our receivers this year compared to previous years. & it's a pretty sharp drop off.

I've said it a hundred times since December & I'll probably say it through December, but I am not a Schaub fan. I was his one of his more consistent critics, he is not the kind of QB I like (other than he wins) & if I was king, he wouldn't be the QB of the Texans (but you'd have seen a season of SageRosenfels starting, so take that with a grain of salt).

But Schaub is much closer to Troy Aikman than he is Trent Dilfer.
Old 05-30-2013   #164
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I really question if some of you guys watched football before The texans...or at least before they got good....

The Tuck rule play.....
The Patriots upsetting the greatest show on turf in 2001......
The Santonio Holmes tip toe TD catch to win it....
The Eli Manning sack escape leading to the Tyree catch....
The Giants upsetting the Pats in 2007.....
The Mario Manningham sideline catch....
Hell, any number of plays Jacoby Jones made in the NFC championship game and the SB this past year....especially when you consider his career to date and what happened with him in the playoff game we had against the Ravens just 1 year ago.

Those sound like "stars aligning" type of plays to you?

Any professional athlete who has won a championship will tell you that you need a little luck to win one. Why should we be expected to be any different? Why can't the percentages be the same for us to have the "stars align" and we win a SB with Schaub at the helm? Why is it a difinitive "Schaub can't or won't lead us to a Superbowl?" You guys act as if David Carr is still our qb and if we just had a better qb, we'd be a lock to win one....just completely ignoring all of the other things that could possibly have something to do with holding this team back.

& while i don't understand the logic, what i can tell you is i know of at least 2-3 qb's that are considered to be waaayyyy better than Schaub who didn't win the SB last year or the year prior and at least 5-6 more qb's that most consider better than him based on physical tools who haven't won a SB at all. I wonder why that is....

Aside from that, we had a HOFer with a rocket arm playing qb in Houston for us for like 10 years..He even had a bad ass defense backing him for a good while.....what exactly did he lead us to?
What are you trying to prove here? Every single one of those teams have on both sides of the SB has a QB that I would rather have instead of Schaub. Brady, Manning, Flacco, Big Ben, and Wagner are all better QB's than Schaub IMO. I already said that there are several things holding our team back, hence my complete lack of confidence that we can go anywhere serious with Schaub under center. We would have to carry him to victory and I don't think we are good enough to do that. Carr was a scrub. We wouldn't even sniff the playoffs if he was under center.

I rather have a great team than be a lucky team. Great teams find sustained success and lucky teams flame out when their luck runs dries.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #165
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub is a C- to B+ QB. That's not terrible. But he's not above reproach. He has his share of faults that could potentially hurt the team in important moments. At best Schaub is a distributor making the smart plays and feeding talented guys around him. At worst he's a guy that is trying to make plays. The guy is insulated by an offense that is QB friendly and lends itself to high percentage pass plays. Just about every QB that has played in this offense has looked better in it than most thought they would or better than they had played at any other stop.

Schaub doesn't suck. But he does have moments where he absolutely blows. He's not great, but he's had some great moments. But just from my perspective, he's sucked more than he's been great. And he's been average or good more than both.

I'd say that's fair. He's got weaknesses, but who don't? The Elite guys have the ability to overcome those weaknesses & to some extent the weaknesses of their team. Schaub, Romo, Rivers, have not shown that they can.

& it sucks, that guys like Kaepernick, RG3, & Russell Wilson are showing that ability in year 1. But if you've watched the game long enough & you watched guys like Romo & Rivers you know doing it year in & year out is another story.

At least Schaub is consistent. You can plan around consistency. You can't plan around whatever it is that Romo does. One year you'll be 11-5, the next you'll be 9-7 on the outside looking in. You'll have 1 play off win in over a decade.

Rivers though much stronger armed than Schaub had a great team built around him & he couldn't get the job done inside their little window. Schaub's window is closing. I understand guys who want to move on. But I don't know if I'd have the gnads to do it. It's hard to find a decent QB in this league.
Old 05-30-2013   #166
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd say that's fair. He's got weaknesses, but who don't? The Elite guys have the ability to overcome those weaknesses & to some extent the weaknesses of their team. Schaub, Romo, Rivers, have not shown that they can.

& it sucks, that guys like Kaepernick, RG3, & Russell Wilson are showing that ability in year 1. But if you've watched the game long enough & you watched guys like Romo & Rivers you know doing it year in & year out is another story.

At least Schaub is consistent. You can plan around consistency. You can't plan around whatever it is that Romo does. One year you'll be 11-5, the next you'll be 9-7 on the outside looking in. You'll have 1 play off win in over a decade.

Rivers though much stronger armed than Schaub had a great team built around him & he couldn't get the job done inside their little window. Schaub's window is closing. I understand guys who want to move on. But I don't know if I'd have the gnads to do it. It's hard to find a decent QB in this league.
Which is why no one is seriously advocating that we replace him with Yates or Keenum now. That said, the FO has to be dumb as hell if they aren't considering looking for his replacement already. I don't know if Yates or Keenum or someone else will be the answer, but Schaub is definitely not an answer IMO.

Some of you are diehard fans of Schaub and that's fine. I look towards both the present and the future for the Texans and I can't honestly see deep postseason success with Schaub under center. It is as simple as that. We all have our own opinions.
Old 05-30-2013   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Flacco, Big Ben, and Wagner are all better QB's than Schaub IMO.
I don't agree. I'd through Eli in there as well. I don't believe Eli is a better QB than Schaub. He's got more sack, more gutzpah..... he's a player & he plays to win. But I don't think he is a better QB than Schaub.

& I don't know that Wagner guy.
Old 05-30-2013   #168
chenjy9
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't agree. I'd through Eli in there as well. I don't believe Eli is a better QB than Schaub. He's got more sack, more gutzpah..... he's a player & he plays to win. But I don't think he is a better QB than Schaub.

& I don't know that Wagner guy.
Sorry wasn't paying attention to what auto-correct was putting in for me. Kurt Warner is what I meant to type. I personally think he is better, but again that's just my opinion. I put the following QB's over Schaub with personal confidence:

- Aaron Rogers
- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Matt Ryan
- Drew Brees
- Big Ben
- Joe Flacco
- Andrew Luck
- RG3
- Cam Newton
- Colin Kaepernick
- Eli Manning

If I was the GM and the opposing team dumb enough to do a direct swap, I would swap Schaub for anyone of those players in a heartbeat. The following players I feel will be much better than Schaub in the next couple of years:

- Matt Stafford
- Russell Wilson
- Andrew Dalton
- Jake Locker

Now again, I am not saying that we have one of those to replace Schaub, but again, we would be fools if we weren't looking already.
Old 05-30-2013   #169
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What are you trying to prove here? Every single one of those teams have on both sides of the SB has a QB that I would rather have instead of Schaub. Brady, Manning, Flacco, Big Ben, and Wagner are all better QB's than Schaub IMO. I already said that there are several things holding our team back, hence my complete lack of confidence that we can go anywhere serious with Schaub under center. We would have to carry him to victory and I don't think we are good enough to do that. Carr was a scrub. We wouldn't even sniff the playoffs if he was under center.

I rather have a great team than be a lucky team. Great teams find sustained success and lucky teams flame out when their luck runs dries.
The point is that even those qb's need(ed) a little luck & guys around them making plays and great decisions to have a large part of the success they've enjoyed....& that at least in part has something to do with why they are considered better than Schaub and why many would want those guys over him. Some more than others but the same recipe nonetheless. The Texans & Schaub have just gotten to the point where the talent is at a level where you can actually say that. Before 2011............................. We had virtually no chance in certain games.

You can't have pro-bowlers and HOFers at every position & as I said to Rey, It doesn't matter what you'd rather be, it's what you are & what breaks are handed to you throughout the course of a game/season. What are you guys exactly saying with that statement anyway?... What, you wouldn't want your team to recover a fumble on a muffed punt if it had nothing to do with your teams skill in causing the fumble? C'mon. In a tight game in the playoffs, luck or no luck you'd be or depending on what side of the coin you're on.

The NFL moreso than the NBA/MLB is where luck and circumstance plays more of a role in deciding a game b/c that's just it.......it's only 1 game & you advance if you win....where a scrub can rise up for 1 game (Timmy Smith, Larry Brown anyone?) and play above his head & make a game changing play(s). Where weather can lessen the advantage of 1 team over another enough to where the underdog may have a chance.
Old 05-30-2013   #170
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
No clue how that comment had anything to do with anything. I just have this vision in my head right now of Pee Wee Herman saying "I know you are but what am I?".
OK. Let me explain it to you.

Arguing that Schaub can't get us to the Super Bowl because a lot of people don't think Schaub can get us to the Super Bowl is kinda dumb.

Groups of people are frequently wrong. If you'd asked a group of people if the Ravens were going to win the Super Bowl after we trashed them last year, I bet very few would have said they were.

There are a lot of other things that you can argue about Schaub. You might not think that Schaub is a play-maker, you might think he's reached the limit of his potential and he's on a downhill slide to obscurity, you might think that he's too athletically limited. That's all fine. Those are opinions and may or may not be factually accurate.

But to argue that Schaub's a bad QB who can't get to the SB because there are a lot of Texans' fans who've lost faith in him is ridiculous.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #171
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But to argue that Schaub's a bad QB who can't get to the SB because there are a lot of Texans' fans who've lost faith in him is ridiculous.
Thanks for clarifying. Now that I understand your point, I totally agree with you.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #172
chenjy9
Veteran

Quote:
The point is that even those qb's need(ed) a little luck & guys around them making plays and great decisions to have a large part of the success they've enjoyed....& that at least in part has something to do with why they are considered better than Schaub and why many would want those guys over him. Some more than others but the same recipe nonetheless. The Texans & Schaub have just gotten to the point where the talent is at a level where you can actually say that. Before 2011............................. We had virtually no chance in certain games.

You can't have pro-bowlers and HOFers at every position & as I said to Rey, It doesn't matter what you'd rather be, it's what you are & what breaks are handed to you throughout the course of a game/season. What are you guys exactly saying with that statement anyway?... What, you wouldn't want your team to recover a fumble on a muffed punt if it had nothing to do with your teams skill in causing the fumble? C'mon. In a tight game in the playoffs, luck or no luck you'd be or depending on what side of the coin you're on.

The NFL moreso than the NBA/MLB is where luck and circumstance plays more of a role in deciding a game b/c that's just it.......it's only 1 game & you advance if you win....where a scrub can rise up for 1 game (Timmy Smith, Larry Brown anyone?) and play above his head & make a game changing play(s). Where weather can lessen the advantage of 1 team over another enough to where the underdog may have a chance.
Again... your argument fails to make a clear point to me. All great teams still need a bit of luck to win a SB. With Schaub under center, I feel like we would need an incredible amount of luck to win the SB, hence "all the stars align" mentality. I am not asking for a HoF at QB or every position. Where the heck did you even pull that out from? What I want is simple; for us to replace Schaub ASAP because he will not help us get anywhere. If we DO get anywhere, it will be in spite of him. At this point, I would even take Romo over Schaub and I hate Romo.
Old 05-30-2013   #173
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again... your argument fails to make a clear point to me. All great teams still need a bit of luck to win a SB. With Schaub under center, I feel like we would need an incredible amount of luck to win the SB, hence "all the stars align" mentality. I am not asking for a HoF at QB or every position. Where the heck did you even pull that out from? What I want is simple; for us to replace Schaub ASAP because he will not help us get anywhere. If we DO get anywhere, it will be in spite of him. At this point, I would even take Romo over Schaub and I hate Romo.
It all comes back around to "you feel" and "you want." You can want and hate all you want but doesn't matter, you're not going to get it this year.

I've been saying for a while, if we're going to draft our replacement for Schaub, it's probably going to be this next draft and then you can expect Kubiak to groom Schaub's replacement for at least a year, possibly two. Expecting a change to be made at QB right now is silly; if it was going to happen, it would have already happened. You can expect at least 2 more years of Schaub as your QB barring injury.

Kubiak might not even draft Schaub's replacement for a couple more years.

You can whine and ***** all you want but that's the reality of the situation.

So the question becomes, can we win a SB with Schaub? Obviously, you say no. You say no over and over and over in just about every post you make on a level that we've not seen since... was it CKHouston? But then again, you also say we can but we'll need a helluva lot of luck.

MrTex's point is that it doesn't matter if you've got Brady or Manning or Schaub. You have to be very, very lucky to win a SB. Even with the greatest of QBs, you won't get many chances. Brady and Peyton are two of the greatest QBs of all time and they've only been in 2 SBs of the last 6 SBs and haven't won one in 7 years.

Every year is a new year and it's all about putting a team together and getting lucky.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #174
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How much clearer can i be when i say that Schaub has performed at least as well as many of these qb's throughout the season who've won SB's in the past?

I understand this is your opinion & i respect it but it's an unfounded assertion you're operating from.

If you agree that all great teams/qbs need a bit of luck & the right things around them to win a SB............

& you agree that there are other things that are at least in part responsible for holding this team back................

& Schaub numbers statistically bear out that he is at least on par or better than what some past & recent SB winning qb's have put up.............

How can you contend that we would need substantially more luck than other teams/qbs needed to win a SB and would have to "carry" him?

What's more is how can you automatically assume that us not making it to & winning a SB in the future is waaaaayyyy out of the question as long as he's the starting qb?
Old 05-30-2013   #175
chenjy9
Veteran

Quote:
How much clearer can i be when i say that Schaub has performed at least as well as many of these qb's throughout the season who've won SB's in the past?

I understand this is your opinion & i respect it but it's an unfounded assertion you're operating from.

If you agree that all great teams/qbs need a bit of luck & the right things around them to win a SB............

& you agree that there are other things that are at least in part responsible for holding this team back................

& Schaub numbers statistically bear out that he is at least on par or better than what some past & recent SB winning qb's have put up.............

How can you contend that we would need substantially more luck than other teams/qbs needed to win a SB and would have to "carry" him?

What's more is how can you automatically assume that us not making it to & winning a SB in the future is waaaaayyyy out of the question as long as he's the starting qb?
There is a difference between a little luck and a ton of luck. We need a ton of luck to win with Schaub as our QB. There is also a difference between a team having to carry their QB to victory in big games and teams whose QB consistently and reliably contributes to victory. That is my assertion. Top flight and very good QB's have consistently shown when their teams need them, the ability to rise to or above the challenge. I don't see that in Schaub... at all. When we are down, I am not looking at Schaub to possibly bail us out. I look towards are D first, then Foster, and then AJ. I just pray to god that Schaub does not screw things up.

QB's can have good stat lines and still not be considered as good as some of their peers. My "feeling" and opinions come from these observations:

- Schaub is incredibly immobile and leaves a lot of dead plays on the field, must like Alex Smith
- On 3rd and long situations, I consistently see him check down to someone well short of the first down line or instantly throw it away
- When pressure mounts, he folds. If we are not up and doing our usual ground and pound business and needing Schaub to bring us back, I have no confidence in his ability to do so

Again... since some have trouble reading... I am not saying we need to replace him with one of our backups here and now at this specific moment. However, I am saying that if we don't look for a replacement (backups, drafts, free agency) already, either Kubes or the FO are being idiots about Schaub. He will never be more than what he is and that is not going to help us go anywhere serious.
Old 05-30-2013   #176
chenjy9
Veteran

Also, if you want to talk about stats... how many passing TD's did Schaub have to end the last quarter of the season? How many TD's did Schaub average against GOOD teams and no I am not counting the Broncos early on when Manning was still shaking off rust. The point is, our team has finally gotten to the point where we can consistently beat the teams we need to beat, but we are still losing to good teams. The game against Lions should have been a L if it weren't for the incompetence of the Lions coach. Game against the Jets, while we won, I was sorely disappointed Schaub. If it weren't for Foster essentially being our entire offense until Schaub is able to get the ball to AJ or OD, you guys would probably want Schaub unemployed as well. When the bright lights shine, Schaub fades.
Old 05-30-2013   #177
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many TD's did Schaub average against GOOD teams and no I am not counting the Broncos early on when Manning was still shaking off rust.
What does Manning's rustiness have to do with Schaub throwing TD passes? Does Peyton also play some DB for the Broncos?
Old 05-30-2013   #178
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, if you want to talk about stats... how many passing TD's did Schaub have to end the last quarter of the season? How many TD's did Schaub average against GOOD teams and no I am not counting the Broncos early on when Manning was still shaking off rust.
LOL - yeah there is some objectivity - "I'm not going to count the 4 TD's which came against a 13-3 team."
Old 05-30-2013   #179
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Also, if you want to talk about stats... how many passing TD's did Schaub have to end the last quarter of the season? How many TD's did Schaub average against GOOD teams and no I am not counting the Broncos early on when Manning was still shaking off rust. The point is, our team has finally gotten to the point where we can consistently beat the teams we need to beat, but we are still losing to good teams. The game against Lions should have been a L if it weren't for the incompetence of the Lions coach. Game against the Jets, while we won, I was sorely disappointed Schaub. If it weren't for Foster essentially being our entire offense until Schaub is able to get the ball to AJ or OD, you guys would probably want Schaub unemployed as well. When the bright lights shine, the texans fades.
fixed for you above.

that's also alot of qualifiers you put in there...specifically aimed at casting Schaub in the worst light possible..But since you look to our defense 1st to win games for us.... I'll play along.

How many sacks, TFL's did our great defense register last year minus JJ Watt?

How about how many ppg did our awesome defense give up against offenses that were in the top 5 in the league....... and how many of those games did we win?

better yet, how many PPG did our great defense manage to hold teams who made the playoffs to in the last quarter of the season and what was our record in those games?

You simply don't have a leg to stand on no matter how hard you try to spin this.

Schaub's definitely not elite, but he's certainly better than what you guys give him credit for.
Old 05-30-2013   #180
chenjy9
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
LOL - yeah there is some objectivity - "I'm not going to count the 4 TD's which came against a 13-3 team."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What does Manning's rustiness have to do with Schaub throwing TD passes? Does Peyton also play some DB for the Broncos?
If Manning was in later season form, we would have very well lost that game. A rusty Manning almost led a comeback against us.

Quote:
fixed for you above.

that's also alot of qualifiers you put in there...specifically aimed at casting Schaub in the worst light possible..But since you look to our defense 1st to win games for us.... I'll play along.

How many sacks, TFL's did our great defense register last year minus JJ Watt?

How about how many ppg did our awesome defense give up against offenses that were in the top 5 in the league....... and how many of those games did we win?

better yet, how many PPG did our great defense manage to hold teams who made the playoffs to in the last quarter of the season and what was our record in those games?

You simply don't have a leg to stand on no matter how hard you try to spin this.

Schaub's definitely not elite, but he's certainly better than what you guys give him credit for.
I never said our D was almighty. What I said and I repeat, if we DO win a SB, it will be because our D, or Foster, or Johnson carrying us... NOT Schaub. I am done with this thread though. I respect you guys opinions and you have definitely offered great arguments. I just don't feel that we will ever agree about Schaub. You guys think Schaub is good enough to help us win a SB. I don't share the same opinion and confidence. I will leave it at that and stop wasting everyone's time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read