Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2013   #141
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Put aside Schaub. A lot of this is chicken and egg - QB's are HOF material in large part because they win one or more SB's regardless of their merit in those SB's. Big Ben was miserable in two wins. Aikman (and I was/am a Cowboys fan) was the epitome of precision game manager (frankly Aikman is what I think Kubiak wants out of Schaub). Elway should never be brought up for this assertion since in his heyday he couldn't put the team on his shoulders and win - he got his wins off the team. Tom Brady's 1st win was on the team not him.
But I would wager to bet many of us would have rather have most of the QBs listed above than Schaub.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
But I would wager to bet many of us would have rather have most of the QBs listed above than Schaub.
I'm thinking we're going to win it all this year & Schaub will be considered elite.
Old 05-29-2013   #143
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 228472 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So? Many people are self-destructive idiots who make short-sighted decisions, that doesn't make them right about anything.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #144
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4756 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So? Many people are self-destructive idiots who make short-sighted decisions, that doesn't make them right about anything.
Are you always this salty? Your opinion is as worthwhile as anyone else's.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #145
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 228472 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Are you always this salty? Your opinion is as worthwhile as anyone else's.
Arguing that something is a certain way because there are people who believe that it's a certain way is a common logical fallacy called The Appeal To Widespread Belief. And that was Silvrhand's argument. I was pointing out the fallacy.

As you said, my opinion is not any more worthwhile than anyone else's. But that goes both ways. No one else's opinion is any more worthwhile than mine which is what the Appeal To Widespread Belief tries to imply.
Old 05-29-2013   #146
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
100% disagree, history does prove that you need a very GOOD QB to win the superbowl.. look at the last 20 of them, only 2 are not HOF material, and of those two both have stupid record defenses. The 2000 Ravens, and the only team to have 3 defensive touchdowns in a superbowl.

Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXXI - Brett Favre
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner
Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson
Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning
Super Bowl XLII - Eli Manning
Super Bowl XLIII - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees
Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers
This whole post is just jokes...

Up until this past year Flacco was considered just a good qb with a big arm.

A few years before that, before he pulled off 1 of the biggest SB upsets in history with 1 of the clutchest drives ever, Eli Manning was a borderline average qb...there was even talk about moving on from him in NY prior to that run they had in 2007.

Before him, Kurt Warner was bagging groceries on the street and all he does is lead 1 of the greatest offenses ever to 2 straight SB's...then goes to the giants, looks completely overmatched and washed up, only to go to the cardinals a year later and nearly lead them to a SB win.

I say all that to say that of these 3 SB winning qb's, Schaub is only less mobile than 1 of them....his arm strength is on par with at least 1 of them....and he's had at least 2 seasons in his career that are on par if not flat out better than all 3 of these guys' best seasons ----save for Warner's 99' season which was just in another stratsophere.

As for all that other unquantifiable criteria you guys are using to judge him like "clutch" factor and "eye" test.........the truth of the matter is that there are so many other things that go into that. it's almost not even worth mentioning.

-You think Kubiak would've trusted a 6th round 1st year starting qb to lead a game winning drive for a FG to win it in SB XXXVI? Nope..we probably sit on the ball & go to OT.

-You think Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones make that David Tyree catch if Schaub somehow got out of that near sack and luckily tosses it deep in the middle of the field? Nope.

-Do you really believe Kubiak is calling an onside kick coming out of halftime to get his offense an extra offensive possession in SB XLIV? Nope.

- How about the right side of our o-line holding up against SF's front 7 last year? Nope.

This guy is good enough for us to win a SB with if all things are in place around him. & for the life of me, i can't understand why we are bashing him when this is the case for 99% of qb's in the league and we had other more glaring weaknesses that were responsible for what happened to us late in the season.

Last edited by Mr teX; 05-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #147
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This whole post is just jokes...

Up until this past year Flacco was considered just a good qb with a big arm.

A few years before that, before he pulled off 1 of the biggest SB upsets in history with 1 of the clutchest drives ever, Eli Manning was a borderline average qb...there was even talk about moving on from him in NY prior to that run they had in 2007.

Before him, Kurt Warner was bagging groceries on the street and all he does is lead 1 of the greatest offenses ever to 2 straight SB's...then goes to the giants, looks completely overmatched and washed up, only to go to the cardinals a year later and nearly lead them to a SB win.

I say all that to say that of these 3 SB winning qb's, Schaub is only less mobile than 1 of them....his arm strength is on par with at least 1 of them....and he's had at least 2 seasons in his career that are on par if not flat out better than all 3 of these guys' best seasons ----save for Warner's 99' season which was just in another stratsophere.

As for all that other unquantifiable criteria you guys are using to judge him like "clutch" factor and "eye" test.........the truth of the matter is that there are so many other things that go into that. it's almost not even worth mentioning.

-You think Kubiak would've trusted a 6th round 1st year starting qb to lead a game winning drive for a FG to win it in SB XXXVI? Nope..we probably sit on the ball & go to OT.

-You think Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones make that David Tyree catch if Schaub somehow got out of that near sack and luckily tosses it deep in the middle of the field? Nope.

-Do you really believe Kubiak is calling an onside kick coming out of halftime to get his offense an extra offensive possession in SB XLIV? Nope.

- How about the right side of our o-line holding up against SF's front 7 last year? Nope.

This guy is good enough for us to win a SB with if all things are in place around him. & for the life of me, i can't understand why we are bashing him when this is the case for 99% of qb's in the league and we had other more glaring weaknesses that were responsible for what happened to us late in the season.
Repped.

And I wonder why the poster you quoted left stopped at SB XLV..?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #148
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4756 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of merely hoping that all of the stars to perfectly align to carry our overpaid QB to victory, I would much rather our FO start looking for his replacement NOW and throw Schaub's behind on the curb ASAP. I never advocated for that replacement to be either Yates or Keenum, though I do believe from what I have seen last year that Yates will not be a suitable replacement. Either way, neither Yates or Keenum changes how I feel about Schaub and my personal opinion is that we should be looking for better now because Schaub is not going to lead us anywhere and I am not too confident in our chances of winning WHILE carrying Schaub with Kubes at the wheel.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #149
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Instead of merely hoping that all of the stars to perfectly align to carry our overpaid QB to victory, I would much rather our FO start looking for his replacement NOW and throw Schaub's behind on the curb ASAP. I never advocated for that replacement to be either Yates or Keenum, though I do believe from what I have seen last year that Yates will not be a suitable replacement. Either way, neither Yates or Keenum changes how I feel about Schaub and my personal opinion is that we should be looking for better now because Schaub is not going to lead us anywhere and I am not too confident in our chances of winning WHILE carrying Schaub with Kubes at the wheel.
I'm glad you cleared that up.
Old 05-30-2013   #150
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Arguing that something is a certain way because there are people who believe that it's a certain way is a common logical fallacy called The Appeal To Widespread Belief. And that was Silvrhand's argument. I was pointing out the fallacy.

As you said, my opinion is not any more worthwhile than anyone else's. But that goes both ways. No one else's opinion is any more worthwhile than mine which is what the Appeal To Widespread Belief tries to imply.
Look there is no doubt I don't think Schaub is the guy to take us to the superbowl, could he possibly do it, yes there always is that. I would rather have 10-15 of the other QB's in the league than I would Schaub, and to me he needs some competition, real competition not a FA that didn't make the draft, not a 6th round pick.. a real QB prospect and light some fire under his ass.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #151
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look there is no doubt I don't think Schaub is the guy to take us to the superbowl, could he possibly do it, yes there always is that. I would rather have 10-15 of the other QB's in the league than I would Schaub, and to me he needs some competition, real competition not a FA that didn't make the draft, not a 6th round pick.. a real QB prospect and light some fire under his ass.
People say this kind of thing all the time. OK, now fill in the blanks. Where would that have come from this off-season?
Old 05-30-2013   #152
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 7152 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm thinking we're going to win it all this year & Schaub will be considered elite.
Nah, he'll win the super bowl than get Dilfer'd
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #153
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Nah, he'll win the super bowl than get Dilfer'd
If he stays healthy long enough to get to the game.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #154
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No clue how that comment had anything to do with anything. I just have this vision in my head right now of Pee Wee Herman saying "I know you are but what am I?".
Old 05-30-2013   #155
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
(frankly Aikman is what I think Kubiak wants out of Schaub).
No way Gary can be that naive. Matt doesn't have the same skill set at all.
Old 05-30-2013   #156
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
No way Gary can be that naive. Matt doesn't have the same skill set at all.
Your hatred of Schaub renders any conversation with you on the subject useless.
Old 05-30-2013   #157
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Any criticism you make of Schaub will be "debunked" by Schaubites.

He doesn't have scramble ability...well neither do Quaterback A or B and actually Quaterback Z does have scramble ability and he sucks...

He has a weak arm....Well according to the stats he completes a high percentage of passes over n yards...

He's not good in pressure situations...Well actually back in 200? he did this in this moment....

He's not an elite QB.....Well he may not be thought of as elite because he doesn't have a SB, but if you look at the numbers he does A, B & C just as good as this elite guy and he actually does D, C & E better than this elite guy...

Well I'll be damned. The guy doesn't seem to have many weaknesses at all. That's kind of strange considering the moments of greatness and pure awesomeness have not greatly overshadowed the moments where he's left holding his head in his hands because of some screw up or injury situation he's been involved in.

Schaub is a C- to B+ QB. That's not terrible. But he's not above reproach. He has his share of faults that could potentially hurt the team in important moments. At best Schaub is a distributor making the smart plays and feeding talented guys around him. At worst he's a guy that is trying to make plays. The guy is insulated by an offense that is QB friendly and lends itself to high percentage pass plays. Just about every QB that has played in this offense has looked better in it than most thought they would or better than they had played at any other stop.

Schaub doesn't suck. But he does have moments where he absolutely blows. He's not great, but he's had some great moments. But just from my perspective, he's sucked more than he's been great. And he's been average or good more than both.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #158
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your hatred of Schaub renders any conversation with you on the subject useless.
Don't hate anyone. Matt simply doesn't demonstrate the arm-strength or accuracy that Troy did. I also think Troy made better decisions with the ball.
Old 05-30-2013   #159
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really question if some of you guys watched football before The texans...or at least before they got good....

The Tuck rule play.....
The Patriots upsetting the greatest show on turf in 2001......
The Santonio Holmes tip toe TD catch to win it....
The Eli Manning sack escape leading to the Tyree catch....
The Giants upsetting the Pats in 2007.....
The Mario Manningham sideline catch....
Hell, any number of plays Jacoby Jones made in the NFC championship game and the SB this past year....especially when you consider his career to date and what happened with him in the playoff game we had against the Ravens just 1 year ago.

Those sound like "stars aligning" type of plays to you?

Any professional athlete who has won a championship will tell you that you need a little luck to win one. Why should we be expected to be any different? Why can't the percentages be the same for us to have the "stars align" and we win a SB with Schaub at the helm? Why is it a difinitive "Schaub can't or won't lead us to a Superbowl?" You guys act as if David Carr is still our qb and if we just had a better qb, we'd be a lock to win one....just completely ignoring all of the other things that could possibly have something to do with holding this team back.

& while i don't understand the logic, what i can tell you is i know of at least 2-3 qb's that are considered to be waaayyyy better than Schaub who didn't win the SB last year or the year prior and at least 5-6 more qb's that most consider better than him based on physical tools who haven't won a SB at all. I wonder why that is....

Aside from that, we had a HOFer with a rocket arm playing qb in Houston for us for like 10 years..He even had a bad ass defense backing him for a good while.....what exactly did he lead us to?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #160
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The Tuck rule play.....
The Patriots upsetting the greatest show on turf in 2001......
The Santonio Holmes tip toe TD catch to win it....
The Eli Manning sack escape leading to the Tyree catch....
The Giants upsetting the Pats in 2007.....
The Mario Manningham sideline catch....
Hell, any number of plays Jacoby Jones made in the NFC championship game and the SB this past year....especially when you consider his career to date and what happened with him in the playoff game we had against the Ravens just 1 year ago.

Those sound like "stars aligning" type of plays to you?

Any professional athlete who has won a championship will tell you that you need a little luck to win one.
Only one of those things you named had something to do with plays not being made on the field and that was the tuck rule.

Other than that, those are big moments/plays being made when it mattered most.

Getting lucky is overrated. I'd rather be good than Lucky, because bad teams and mediocre teams making making mediocre plays and playing mediocre football aren't lucking their way into Championships. Normally the two teams in the Superbowl earned their right there by making plays. Not by getting lucky.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read