Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2013   #201
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 5m
Andre Johnson on Arian Foster (calf): "I don’t think it’s anything serious. I think if it was, he would've said something."

PDS ‏@PatDStat 7m
Watching JJ Watt work today in drills is unreal. His footwork and ability to change direction is special. Leads every drill. #Texans

Talked to DeVier Posey said he is getting close to be cleared to run again. #Texans

Heat, humidity and Memorial Day weekend were the winners today at Day 4 of OTAs. #Texans

Interceptions everywhere. Kareem Jackson, DJ Swearinger, Orhian Johnson and Willie Jefferson all had interceptions. #Teans

Foster took the first handoff and took two steps and Immediately went off, good news for the #Texans it is a calf strain per Coach Kubiak.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 19m
FWIW Arian Foster sat for a while watching practice with ice on calf before taking cart back to Reliant. No immediate cart off

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 24m
"Keshawn, he looks comfortable, that's the one thing that stands out," Andre Johnson on Keshawn Martin. #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #202
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

In before Doc posts and scares the crap out of all of us.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #203
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 12m

Kubiak very impressed with @bbrooks_79, says he essentialy made him starter at right guard during OTAs.
Old 05-28-2013   #204
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Kubiak very impressed with @bbrooks_79, says he essentialy made him starter at right guard during OTAs.
Great news on Brandon Brooks.
Old 05-28-2013   #205
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Great news on Brandon Brooks.
Yep, he came on strong towards the end of the season. It's nice to see/hear of him taking it a step further. I think this dude can be great if he continues to progress.

RT's still making me cringe a bit
Old 05-28-2013   #206
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 46216 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Arian Foster left practice today with a "strained calf".
Thank God! Only the 4th day of OTAs and we can already put the whole vegan bullsh!t to rest now that Arian has left practice early with some veal.

Last edited by EVOLVIST; 05-28-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: damn phone
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #207
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah me too .... but I do think they are in a better position this offseason than last with the two rookies , Harris and Newton fighting for the spot over an injured Butler and Newton being thrown to the wolves.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #208
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah me too .... but I do think they are in a better position this offseason than last with the two rookies , Harris and Newton fighting for the spot over an injured Butler and Newton being thrown to the wolves.
True, but not a whole lot better imo. Newton was borderline horrible towards the end of the season. Was it due to injury? That's possible, but he'll be almost starting over again physically. Harris played a tad better last year but not enough to earn the job. As much as I dislike it, it's looking like another possible rotation situation.

Brennan Williams being out again isn't helping with the cringing either. Ha
Old 05-28-2013   #209
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 52s
Rookie T Brennan Williams (knee) has yet to practice in OTAs. Could be back next week #Texans

Kubiak said WRs Lestar Jean & Keshawn Martin have been “excellent” in OTAs. Taking advantage of their opportunity #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 49s
Bonner needs polishing and time to develop. Very underrated pick for the #Texans IMO.

Alan Bonner has a the physical tools to be a good player. In and out of breaks he is a sight to see and off the LOS he is fast. #Texans

Lestar Jean caught the ball well today. First time all OTAs I have seen him take control on the field. Lined up inside and outside. #Texans

Rookie OLB Willie Jefferson pulled his playoff Watt impression today to end practice. A pick 6 from a rush position. #Texans

The interceptions made by the D today were impressive. More about better plays by the D than poor throws. #Texans

#Texans offense still shaking off the rust, but when they did complete passes they were for some good yardage.

Phillip Supernaw and Sunny Harris will be out for an extended period. Both have foot injuries. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 5m
Brennan Williams was still out 2day. Other #Texans out, Supernaw (cast on foot), Sunny Harris (boot), Brandon Harris (concussion)#Texanstalk
Old 05-28-2013   #210
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Tim Dobbins still absent from OTAs.
Old 05-28-2013   #211
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, but not a whole lot better imo. Newton was borderline horrible towards the end of the season. Was it due to injury? That's possible, but he'll be almost starting over again physically. Harris played a tad better last year but not enough to earn the job. As much as I dislike it, it's looking like another possible rotation situation.

Brennan Williams being out again isn't helping with the cringing either. Ha
RT , NT and ILB the three biggest questionmarks right now ?! I think so ...

You can add WR to that as well. Its AJ , a rookie , a guy with an achilles tear , an underperforming (last year) LeStar Jean and Martin .... and some practice squad fodder.

NT Earl Mitchell a rookie and Jared Crick from what I understand will see time at NT.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #212
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

You can add WR to that as well. Its AJ , a rookie , a guy with an achilles tear , an underperforming (last year) LeStar Jean and Martin .... and some practice squad fodder.

NT Earl Mitchell a rookie and Jared Crick from what I understand will see time at NT.
Agreed on all points. I've voiced my concern on the ILB and RT positions, but not a lot on NT. You're right though, NT is a bit of a concern. I like Mitchell but he struggles against double teams and is often taken completely out of the play. McClain has been mentioned as a possible rotation guy. Hopefully he or someone else can earn the spot
Old 05-28-2013   #213
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Thank God! Only the 4th day of OTAs and we can already put the whole vegan bullsh!t to rest now that Arian has left practice early with some veal.
I hate to be "Negative Nate" as my buddies sometimes call me, but calf and hamstring injuries are much more serious than medical staff will let on due to the lingering effects. Not because of severity, but because of the cumbersome repeat strain. A strained calf can be one of those oddball on again off again injuries. Ask a sprinter if he'd rather have a calf or groin injury, I'm sure he'd take the groin.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Old 05-28-2013   #214
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interceptions everywhere. Kareem Jackson, DJ Swearinger, Orhian Johnson and Willie Jefferson all had interceptions. #Texans
I kind like this.... kinda don't. Where the heck are our WRs? What's up with our QBs?
Old 05-28-2013   #215
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, he came on strong towards the end of the season. It's nice to see/hear of him taking it a step further. I think this dude can be great if he continues to progress.

.........I'm not liking it.

I thought our line was pretty good with Winston & Briesel on the right side (running the ball) & BenJones looked like a better Briesel to me. I figured that would be his spot to lose.

Bbrooks looked more like WadeSmith that one good year he had (don't know how he got a probowl bid last year other than people were voting for Caldwell even though he wasn't playing). & the pics I've seen of Brooks this offseason..... he looks lean & mean.

If WadeSmith returns as the starter at LG, that will be our weak spot.
Old 05-28-2013   #216
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I kind like this.... kinda don't. Where the heck are our WRs? What's up with our QBs?
It's usually a good sign for defenses to dominate early in OTAs/camp.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #217
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Defense is always ahead of offense at this point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #218
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Don't think that's usually a serious injury, not like a pulled groin or hammy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
In before Doc posts and scares the crap out of all of us.
By now, you all should be aware that a strain is a degree of “tear.” I would expect that the extent of the tear will be defined shortly with an MRI. Also, as you should all know, muscle tear recoveries are not always predictable. The best to be hoped for is a Class I tear, where the muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery typically takes approximately two weeks, because you want to rest the muscle and not try to stretch it while it continues to try to shorten (spasm). A grade II calf strain means that there is a partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery typically is more prolonged and takes approximately 4-8 weeks. With a Grade III calf strain, considered a very severe strain, there is a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in rare instances, surgery may be needed.

The Texans have referred to this as a “calf strain” and therefore, technically, you would assume that this was not just a simple short-lived spasm as seen in dehydration or deficiency states involving elements such as calcium or magnesium.

The problem with calf tears, like with most muscle tears, only somewhat moreso with this muscle group (gastrocnemius muscles and sometimes the soleus muscle), especially with not enough rest and rehab, is re-injury. In fact some sources note as high as 40% can result in re-injury to the same calf......or the other. And, of course as we all know, without proper healing time, compensatory injuries to other structures are also possible. Hopefully, tomorrow we get good news, and whatever the extent of the injury, Foster will be handled more conservatively and wisely than before with his hamstring injury(ies)....especially since a re-injured calf tear can become more of a very long-term chronic problem than with a hamstring re-injury.

[As one last note for completeness, due to the proximity/attachment of the calf muscles into the Achilles tendon, Achilles tendonitis can sometimes share some of the presentation seen with calf strains.....this should be able to be distinguished through the MRI imaging study.]

Believe it or not, my intent on this board is not ever to "scare," but only to inform. Over the years, I have been very impressed with the knowledge base that you have all retained and have also quite impressively been able to begin to recognize that injuries when they do occur are always "scarey"......especially when answers are not readily immediately available.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 05-28-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: sp
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #219
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not too worried about WR. Yeah, there are going to be question marks, but I have faith in Hopkins and the development of Martin. From all reports right now, it sounds like they're doing well.

I liked what I saw from Earl Mitchell last year. I don't know the stats, but I know what I saw. I saw a guy always in the backfield making plays, and then coming back out to sit on the bench so Cody could come back in.

Also, I hate to be that guy that always brings it up, but my biggest concern is QB. Schaub really underperformed near the end of the season last year. There's really no reason to believe he's suddenly going to get any better this time around at 32.

It's nice to read reports on our defense getting picks, but that also means there's a QB throwing pick without too much pressure (it's practice), and that is unacceptable.
Old 05-28-2013   #220
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'm not too worried about WR. Yeah, there are going to be question marks, but I have faith in Hopkins and the development of Martin. From all reports right now, it sounds like they're doing well.
& we've also got OD & Graham. They won't be able to provide the help a quality WR2 could, but they should be able to help us move the chains & keep Schaub out of trouble.

If we can get a big play or two out of Hopkins every now & then, maybe that will be enough to keep defenses more honest than not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read