Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2013   #181
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
No coach is perfect. I think he is gambling with Mitchell and the NT position as a whole and there is a better than good chance that its going to backfire on him.

This whole "the NT comes out on passing downs" craze is just plain silly. Did Jay Ratliff come out on passing downs? I guarantee you if Wade had a really good NT he wouldn't come out on passing downs. The fact that Wade pulls them here just shows that our NT's (Cody and Mitchell) are nothing more than serviceable.

He'll Mitchell 's best attribute is supposed to be his ability to penetrate. Yet he comes out on passing downs. You guys drink your Mitchell juice all you want. I'm going to wait till be shows me something consistently in games before I stop worrying about the middle of our defense.
From ESPN just before the Draft (Paul Kuharsky ):

Quote:
They combined to play just two-thirds of the team’s snaps (38.19 percent for Cody, 28.22 for Mitchell), with Antonio Smith kicking inside in the nickel package. Cody and Mitchell are asked to stuff the run and force more than one blocker to get at least a hand on them.

Even so, the Texans are allowed to get more than 50 tackles, two tackles for a loss and two sacks from their two primary nose tackles. Which is why they should draft one if they can.
Certainly not very impressive.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #182
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The fact that Wade pulls them here just shows that our NT's (Cody and Mitchell) are nothing more than serviceable.

He'll Mitchell 's best attribute is supposed to be his ability to penetrate. Yet he comes out on passing downs. You guys drink your Mitchell juice all you want. I'm going to wait till be shows me something consistently in games before I stop worrying about the middle of our defense.
Whoa..... not drinking any Mitchell juice.

Yes, Mitchell comes out on passing downs, because he is not as good a pass rusher as JjWatt & AntonioSmith.

Another thing, with the NFL going to more of a passing game, RBs becoming a dime/dozen commodity, & the way our offense generally took away the opposing teams running game, I think the prototypical NT will continue to be very low on our priority list.
Old 05-24-2013   #183
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My Day 3 post is live:

Day 3 Texans 2013 OTA report: First week questions answered

Quote:
Overheard on Day 3? “Man, in a real game, that would have been a $10,000 fine.” Said after a throw that the safeties would have had a clear kill shot.

Jonathan Joseph looked back-pocket sharp in his coverage. Which is what fans expect of him but after his injuries of last season, it is nice to see.
Old 05-24-2013   #184
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know of too many Nose Tackles in a 3-4 who consistently played in passing situations.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #185
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Curious, who threw the pass that would of ended in a 10,000 dollar fine? I know Schaub seemed to throw a fair share of those passes last season. Poor OD took a licking on the majority of them.
Old 05-24-2013   #186
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Curious, who threw the pass that would of ended in a 10,000 dollar fine? I know Schaub seemed to throw a fair share of those passes last season. Poor OD took a licking on the majority of them.
I wonder how they can blame the pass or the QB.

Don't lead with the head. Don't hit the receiver in the head.

No $10,000 fine.
Old 05-24-2013   #187
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No, I think I outlined it correctly.
Of course you do and those poor coaches were just silly to give him 10% less snaps than Cody.

Quote:
There are a lot of politics on a football team and sometimes there are more talented players waiting in the weeds that just aren't given the chance. We see it all the time.
You're subscribing to the 'conspiracy theory' of they just didn't like him then, but love him now?

I'll be pulling for whoever is on the field for the Texans, but try and sell the "better player" B.S. somewhere else, I'm not buying...and neither were the guys who matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder how they can blame the pass or the QB.

Don't lead with the head. Don't hit the receiver in the head.

No $10,000 fine.
If only it were that simple with the "defenseless receiver" rules. Ed Reed was fined not $10K, but $55K for THIS hit. He lead with his shoulder. Why is it the DBs fault that the WR helmet comes down AFTER the hit?
Old 05-24-2013   #188
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No coach is perfect. I think he is gambling with Mitchell and the NT position as a whole and there is a better than good chance that its going to backfire on him.

This whole "the NT comes out on passing downs" craze is just plain silly. Did Jay Ratliff come out on passing downs? I guarantee you if Wade had a really good NT he wouldn't come out on passing downs. The fact that Wade pulls them here just shows that our NT's (Cody and Mitchell) are nothing more than serviceable.

Just want to let you know that Mitchell has been WAY MORE productive than Ratliff through their first three years in the league.

And a hair better than Jamal Williams with the Chargers.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If only it were that simple with the "defenseless receiver" rules. Ed Reed was fined not $10K, but $55K for THIS hit. He lead with his shoulder. Why is it the DBs fault that the WR helmet comes down AFTER the hit?
Still can't blame it on the pass or the QB. Poor officiating.... but not on the pass.
Old 05-24-2013   #190
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

I'll be pulling for whoever is on the field for the Texans, but try and sell the "better player" B.S. somewhere else, I'm not buying...and neither were the guys who matter.
...and remind me where Cody is now? And why is another player wearing his ex-number now? I predict no drop off in NT production and possibly an increase. We'll all see together.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #191
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Just want to let you know that Mitchell has been WAY MORE productive than Ratliff through their first three years in the league.

And a hair better than Jamal Williams with the Chargers.
FWIW, Ratliff came to the Cowboys during a 3-4 D transition (2005) after 45years of a 4-3. On top of that, he had just prior transitioned in his senior year from a 4-3 DE to a 4-3 DT. I would suspect that there was some significant "acclimation" going on during those first couple of years with the Cowboys.
Old 05-24-2013   #192
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
...and remind me where Cody is now? And why is another player wearing his ex-number now? I predict no drop off in NT production and possibly an increase. We'll all see together.
Answers:
1) On the street.
2) Refer back to answer #1

I too believe there will be no drop off in production at NT w/ Mitchell & very easily could be an increase. Cody, IMO, was every bit the Kevin Walter of the defense w/ lackluster production & constantly had his small contributions over exaggerated & glorified.

Im not saying Mitchell will be an All Pro or Pro Bowler, but he is young w/ some potential & obviously has earned an opportunity to be a starter w/ those in charge.

I will miss "On the Nose". Cody was funny.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #193
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
FWIW, Ratliff came to the Cowboys during a 3-4 D transition (2005) after 45years of a 4-3. On top of that, he had just prior transitioned in his senior year from a 4-3 DE to a 4-3 DT. I would suspect that there was some significant "acclimation" going on during those first couple of years with the Cowboys.
Doc, I don't see how the Cowboys' change in D scheme has anything to do with a rookie.

Mitchell was recruited as a TE.
He didn't move to the D until his Jr year.
He did not play much at the nose in the Wildcats 43 defense
Most often, he lined up as a 3-tech Undertackle in college.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #194
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doc, I don't see how the Cowboys' change in D scheme has anything to do with a rookie.

Mitchell was recruited as a TE.
He didn't move to the D until his Jr year.
He did not play much at the nose in the Wildcats 43 defense
Most often, he lined up as a 3-tech Undertackle in college.

Interestingly, Ratliff was also recruited as a TE and made the transition to DE in his sophomore year. But virtually all of his junior year was screwed up by an early high ankle sprain which made him miss 4 1/2 games only to come back to be used sparingly as rotational DE piece. His senior year was his only year to really gain experience at DT.......a 4-3 position in which he shined.

I guess I brought this up in the context that position changes and scheme changes can take time with some players over others, and be kinder to some and rather "cruel" to others.

It is difficult for me to see Mitchell used in the same sentence as Ratliff as an interchangeable part. But, from all looks, it appears that Wade is Hell-bent to make it work.

After Cody suffered his original disc injury, I suggested that without long-term rest and rehab, he could very well be dealing with this problem throughout the season. I feel that if Cody was not hampered throughout the 2012 season with a disc problem, he could have developed into a better fit than Mitchell can be expected to. We will all have to wait and see. But meanwhile, I will keep hoping that something more promising reveals itself between now and the beginning of the season.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 05-25-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: word omission
Old 05-25-2013   #195
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not certain, so I didn't say it. Not sure if I knew for sure I'd even want to say because people blow up selective things bigger than just one play which seems a little unfair.

Will say that JJo was plaguing Schaub on Day 3. Busted up plays to both AJ and Hopkins.

OTOH, Schaub to Hopkins 30 yards down field was a thing to behold. Didn't think Hopkins was going to get it but I love how when the ball is in the air, he just has more want to for it. He attacks the ball, doesn't just wait for it.

It's weird to talk of wide receivers being aggressive, but with his hands/body positioning, he collects the ball as soon as it is anywhere near him.

(I know there was a Chron article talking about how Martin and Jean are better this year. And they are. And that they are ahead of Hopkins in the playbook. And they are. But Hopkins is just such a fun receiver to watch in ways that the collection of WRs post-AJ aren't. Both AJ and Hopkins are the kind of receivers who do stuff in practice that make you go whoa a couple of times a practice. There's a reason why Hopkins is playing with the 1s--learn up faster, and because whoa that upside. Love watching him play.)
Old 05-25-2013   #196
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
...Schaub to Hopkins 30 yards down field was a thing to behold. Didn't think Hopkins was going to get it but I love how when the ball is in the air, he just has more want to for it. He attacks the ball, doesn't just wait for it.

It's weird to talk of wide receivers being aggressive, but with his hands/body positioning, he collects the ball as soon as it is anywhere near him.

(I know there was a Chron article talking about how Martin and Jean are better this year. And they are. And that they are ahead of Hopkins in the playbook. And they are. But Hopkins is just such a fun receiver to watch in ways that the collection of WRs post-AJ aren't. Both AJ and Hopkins are the kind of receivers who do stuff in practice that make you go whoa a couple of times a practice. There's a reason why Hopkins is playing with the 1s--learn up faster, and because whoa that upside. Love watching him play.)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #197
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Pat Starr's assessment of OTA's Day 3

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...y-three-recap/

Quote:
- Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels were practicing on the jugs machine today with shoe string catches. The machine was five yards away and neither Johnson or Daniels dropped a pass. The two veterans work constantly on their craft whenever they can.
I think this is a quality writer and is a good twitter follow

@PatDStat
Old 05-28-2013   #198
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster left practice today with a "strained calf".
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #199
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Arian Foster left practice today with a "strained calf".
linkage

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-calf-injury/

does not appear to be serious at the current moment.
Old 05-28-2013   #200
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think that's usually a serious injury, not like a pulled groin or hammy ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read