Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2013   #121
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Kubiak quotes:

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on the first week of OTAs) “It was really good. I’m excited. Our young guys have come a long way. I think the five practices they got in the mini-camp really helped them. It’s been good. We had some good work; not too hot. So, make it through and come back next Tuesday and get going again.”

(on if he’s keeping a close eye on how much the young players grasp) “Yeah. As a matter of fact, I told the team after practice, I think one of the keys to longevity in this League success-wise is young players getting better real quick. It’s fun for me right now to sit here and watch (WR) Keshawn (Martin), to watch (CB) Roc (Carmichael), (DE) Delano (Johnson), (G) Brandon Brooks all of the sudden become pros at a very young age. If we’re going to keep going, be consistent at what we’re doing, guys like that have to step up and contribute right away. I like what I see. I think some young guys have really come in here a lot better football player right now than they were last year.”

(on OLB Brooks Reed) “He’s doing great. First off, boy, bless him. He probably feels like a yo-yo sometimes; he’s bounced around a little bit. We thought it was important that he took his reps inside with where we’re at as a team right now. He’s fine. I mean, he has no problem mentally. He’s looked really good and he’s healthy. He’s coming off that surgery but he’s doing good. For the better of the team right now, that’s where he’s working. He’s doing a good job.”

(on CB Brandon Harris’ injury status) “He’s fine. We’re putting him through the protocol that you would do during the regular season. A guy gets dinged like that, gets knocked out like he did, we’ll put him through the total protocol. You probably won’t see him for a good week as he goes through the process.”

(on what he has seen from WR Keshawn Martin) “It’s automatic for him now. All his talent has taken over because he doesn’t have to work so hard at the little things; assignment, those type of things. He just comes out here and plays. Very confident young man and it shows. It shows every day.”

(on if there is more pressure on QB Matt Schaub after the team has gone to the same round of the playoffs two years in a row) “I think the pressure is the same all the time. I don’t think it changes. (QB) Matt’s (Schaub) goal is to win a championship and we’ve got to get a team that can get that done. He’s got his job to do with the football team. Right now, this time of year, it’s about chemistry of the team. Putting this 2013 group together, we’re going to be different, we’re going to have a different personality and trying to start to put that together.”

(on OLB Whitney Mercilus) “He’s done really good. First off, you can tell he’s confident. Whitney has probably talked more in a day than he did all last year. He’s coming out of his shell from that standpoint. He’s another player; here’s a second-year guy that’s being asked to become a great player real quick. If we’re going to get to where we want to go, those are the type of things that have to happen. He’s off to a good start.”

(on how OLB Sam Montgomery looks dropping into coverage) “He’s doing fine. The position he’s playing, he’s not asked to drop a lot. He has gotten in better shape. I think he struggled the first camp we had that weekend. So he’s in much better shape and then his ability starts to take over. I think he’s progressing well, he and (OLB) Trevardo (Williams) both.”

(on if he plans to change the rotation on the right side of the offensive line from last season) “I’ll do what I think is best for our team and I don’t know what that is right now. (G) Brandon (Brooks) is working as the starting right guard. (T Derek) Newton is out. (T) Brennan Williams has not been able to practice. (T) Ryan Harris is on the right side. We have a lot of things going on right now, but if we have two solid starters that are consistent throughout the course of camp, then that’s the way we’ll go. But I think with what we went through last year, I think those young guys did a hell of a job.”

(on if QB Matt Schaub looks 100 percent) “Yeah. He looks fine to me. He’s had a good offseason. Obviously, he hasn’t missed anything; plays all last year. I kind of forgot about him missing OTAs last year. But I think it’s important no matter how long you play, I think you need to get out here and get some reps in. I’ve got to protect some of these guys and give them days off here or there, some of these older guys throughout these 10 days. But I think it’s important that he goes through OTAs again.”

(on how RB Arian Foster has changed) “How long has (RB) Arian (Foster) been with me now? Four years? Maybe having the best offseason I’ve seen him have. He’s doing something a little different training-wise. He’d have to tell you what he’s doing. I think he looks a little slimmer. I don’t know if he weighs (different). But he just looks a little different, how he’s carrying his weight. He’s been excellent throughout the course of the offseason; expects a lot of himself.”

(on if he’s intending to bring in competition for the kicking position) “Well, the young man we have here now can do both. (P Andrew) Shapiro can do both. But the way camp is set up now with the numbers, whoever that other guy is, and so our other guy is Shapiro, you want him to build it. Do both to take something off the punter and your kicker so you can use those roster spots somewhere else. Our plan is to go to camp that way and let them both compete against him because he’s a kid that’s done both pretty well in college.”

(on what he’s seen specifically from WR Keshawn Martin that has changed) “These three days have been very impressive to me. I just see a guy that, year two, nothing’s hard for him anymore. He understands everything that’s going on so he just comes out here and works and gets better every day. Me sitting (WR) Andre (Johnson) every other day makes him a starter, too, from that standpoint. I’m really excited about what I’ve seen these past three days.”

(on if drafting a wide receiver in the first round may have lit a fire under some of the younger receivers) “I’m sure. You’re (WR) Lestar (Jean) and (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and you’ve been working all last year and we draft a one and he goes in the huddle with the first group. That’ll get you going. But I don’t think in this case that’s what’s happened with them. I think that they’ve been workers the whole time. I think they see opportunity. I think that’s what they see and when guys get opportunities you usually find out what they have.”

(on what is different about QB Case Keenum) “Confidence. Just confidence. Just watching him operate knowing exactly what he’s doing, making all the calls. He’s going to be fun to watch. He’s very competitive right now. That’s a good thing for our team.”

(on QB Case Keenum saying head coach Gary Kubiak’s praise for him changes nothing) “He’s a good kid. I remember talking to (Kevin Sumlin) about him and (Kliff) Kingsbury about him and they said you can say anything you want to him. He’s heard it all. So I’m going to assume they coached him pretty darn hard. He’s doing a good job. He’s come a long way.”

(on if he is bothered at the criticism of QB Matt Schaub following the loss in the playoffs) “Well, we were there because of him. Hell, that’s part of playing quarterback. It just makes you better, pushes you every day. It’s part of your career, part of your makeup. He’s doing fine. He’s had a really good three days.”

(on if he feels he doesn’t need to defend QB Matt Schaub because that’s just the way people are about quarterbacks) “I think it’s part of the job. If you can’t take a little of that in this business, you’re probably not going to last very long. That’s what it’s all about.”

(on if he worries about situations and injuries to players in OTAs like that suffered by San Francisco 49ers WR Michael Crabtree) “Yeah, you do. You get 10 days and to be honest with you, you hold your breath every day. You want to get better as a team. You catch all the young guys up but freak accidents happen. We had (TE Phillip) Supernaw and (NT) Sunny (Harris) the first day. (We) weren’t even in a team period, just running an individual drill and both of them hurt their foot. It’s part of football but it’s the bad part. That’s why you’ll always hear us on their tail to stay of the ground, to protect each other. I think it’s about respect. We usually do a pretty good job but they get tired and those things happen, unfortunately.”
Old 05-23-2013   #122
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I asked two Kubiak questions. They should be on the quote sheet this afternoon because they were recorded by Texans:

1. Re: Offensive line rotation 2. Whether they will have vet player competition for kicker.

Mentioned last years rotation due to inexperience/injury. Asked him what he wanted to do this year.

He mentioned various injuries. Still need to work with group. If he determines he has two solid guys tackle, then he'd prefer not to rotate.

2. As for kicker, he said that UDFA Shapiro is on the roster and can kick and punt, and helps spare legs. It didn't sound from his response that they would be bringing in a veteran kicker.

Here's some info about from agent's press release.

So there you go.
Is there any chance Andrew Shapiro makes the team? With Lechler & Bullock I would think the K/P positions are solidified.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #123
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I had been wondering about Shapiro...

I feel like he really has a chance to beat out Bullock IF he shows some consistency kicking field goals.

Maybe one of them gets put on the PS. I think they'll both hang around though and I think Shapiro would be first in line for the Punter Job when Lechler isn't around.

But regarding this season, Bullock needs to show me something. I didn't see a lot of power on his kick-offs last season...We'll see I guess...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
...but you can rest assured that the Texans did not draft Montgomery (3rd round) or Williams (4th round) thinking..."We got our day one starter at the other OLB position." You would have a rookie and second year player at the OLB positions. At the very most they are hoping with very little confidence, but not counting on having either one of those rookies starting. This is not DeAndre Hopkins we are talking about. There might be a lot of talk about Reed moving inside but that is not the best case scenario given our current personnel.
I'd feel much better if the Texans are following my line of thinking.

vs NewEngland, both times, we all felt the OLBs had to contribute & help Jj Watt. Didn't happen in either game. We seem to be "fine" lumping it all on Matt Schaub, but the truth is we need more from the outside pass rush. Those two guys (Watt & Smith) couldn't have had a better season & we got relatively squat from the outside.

Maybe Mercilus will grow into the guy we need him to be. I'm fine with that, but we do not need to put all our eggs in one basket. Putting those eggs in the Whitney & Brooks basket is just as pointless.

Start Merci, that's a move in the right direction. Move Reed inside, he'll be just as good as anything we had at ILB last year not named Brian Cushing. Then we've got Braman, Montgomery, & Williams to round out our OLB & hopefully one of those guys will make some noise.

At most, I would think they believe Williams will be able to come off the bench & pressure the QB in Merci's old limited role. Hopefully Braman will start & give us what Reed did on the outside at the very least. & Hopefully Montgomery will push Braman for the starting job.
Old 05-23-2013   #125
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Is there any chance Andrew Shapiro makes the team? With Lechler & Bullock I would think the K/P positions are solidified.
Punter is.

We don't know what Bullock is other than a guy who didn't play his rookie year, didn't have an outstanding camp last year, got hurt before the season started.

I don't feel comfortable handing him the job. But hard to imagine an undrafted guy who was mainly a punter in college displacing him.

I'm guessing if Bullock has a good camp, it is his job. And if he ends up blowing in real games, they will get some vet that is available and hope for the best.

Here's my blog post focusing on punting and kicking. Also has some info about the limitations of what can/can't be reported from OTAs.
Old 05-23-2013   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on what he has seen from WR Keshawn Martin) “It’s automatic for him now. All his talent has taken over because he doesn’t have to work so hard at the little things; assignment, those type of things. He just comes out here and plays. Very confident young man and it shows. It shows every day.”

(on what he’s seen specifically from WR Keshawn Martin that has changed) “These three days have been very impressive to me. I just see a guy that, year two, nothing’s hard for him anymore. He understands everything that’s going on so he just comes out here and works and gets better every day. Me sitting (WR) Andre (Johnson) every other day makes him a starter, too, from that standpoint. I’m really excited about what I’ve seen these past three days.”

(on if drafting a wide receiver in the first round may have lit a fire under some of the younger receivers) “I’m sure. You’re (WR) Lestar (Jean) and (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and you’ve been working all last year and we draft a one and he goes in the huddle with the first group. That’ll get you going. But I don’t think in this case that’s what’s happened with them. I think that they’ve been workers the whole time. I think they see opportunity. I think that’s what they see and when guys get opportunities you usually find out what they have.”
I'm really liking what I'm hearing about Keyshawn. There was a lot of talk about him last year all through camp & we got to see some of what they were talking about when the season started.

If he's progressing, builds on what he did last year & gaining the trust of Kubiak & Schaub.... that's a good thing. That's a real good thing.
Old 05-23-2013   #127
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Hopkins is a fun player to watch during practice and he is just getting started. #Texans

WR is one of the toughest positions to transition to from college to NFL, but Hopkins is doing everything, in my eyes, to get ready.

Don't know where Hopkins will end up as a career, but the #Texans have never had a player of his caliber opposite of Johnson. #Texans

He would go back in line to get that extra rep to get it right. That to me says a lot about Hopkins. Always asking questions. #Texans

Today was one of the first day I saw [DeAndre] Hopkins get frustrated. He puts pressure on himself to be perfect, today it was route running. #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #128
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Will also note that before OTAs, apparently Lechler and Bullock have been working together on holds etc. Hopefully they've seen enough of Bullock to be cool going into the season.
Old 05-23-2013   #129
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
That is Gary P. Nunn's song "London Homesick Blues" on Jerry Jeff's classic album "¡Viva Terlingua!" (anyone without a copy should be deported from Texas immediately).

Sorry, sometimes things like that bug me and I have to correct them.

First time the black knight scene has ever been described as "dry". Most people would call it wet. Even the guy at the Cheese Shop would say "it's a bit runny..."
You are right, Hubbard is "Redneck Mother" thanks for clarification.

That is my favorite song on that album and yes the album is on my Iphone.

Last edited by painekiller; 05-23-2013 at 05:07 PM.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #130
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
PDS ‏@PatDStat

Don't know where Hopkins will end up as a career, but the #Texans have never had a player of his caliber opposite of Johnson. #Texans

He would go back in line to get that extra rep to get it right. That to me says a lot about Hopkins. Always asking questions. #Texans

Today was one of the first day I saw [DeAndre] Hopkins get frustrated. He puts pressure on himself to be perfect, today it was route running. #Texans
Coaches were giving him extra coaching. AJ would also help him with some things.

Caught a nice Schaub to Hopkins 30 yard throw. Worried he wouldn't get to it, and S help got there fast, but his ball.
Old 05-23-2013   #131
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm really liking what I'm hearing about Keyshawn. There was a lot of talk about him last year all through camp & we got to see some of what they were talking about when the season started.

If he's progressing, builds on what he did last year & gaining the trust of Kubiak & Schaub.... that's a good thing. That's a real good thing.
I was not as encouraged on Martin last year during practice as others were. Does look better this year.

Get worried some that he gets bumped off routes from incidental contact.

In practice, getting to a lot more bread and butter balls.
Old 05-23-2013   #132
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I meant to focus on the Dline today, but I got caught up watching the secondary today.

I did write about Mitchell in my last blog post. In sum, Mitchell looks physically good but he looked physically good last season. You can't tell a lot about dline improvement when they are just wearing shorts, not really wrecking shop anyways. But that I'm not buying big improvement because it hasn't already happened after two years of Wade, and that his numbers last year were not encouraging. And that I didn't like the way the defense played when Cody had to go out with a rib injury--maybe that was a product of just being thin at dline but I'm not optimistic on this point.

Wade has had all-pro guys at DT. And JJ has played well when he moves inside. But as for the rest of the guys who are the DT on the line. Not seeing all pro play. Sonny Harris had some nice moments last year. He got hurt I think on Tues with a foot issue during a drill.
Thanks TC! Man I'm worried about the NT position. I really wish we would bring in Seymour or Hampton.
Old 05-23-2013   #133
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Thanks TC! Man I'm worried about the NT position. I really wish we would bring in Seymour or Hampton.
Do you see that happening?

I don't see that happening.

Will say I saw some flash plays by Jared Crick today.

But yeah, this is on my mental list of Things I'm Watching Because I'm Concerned.

Of course, every team's fans have their own issues.
Old 05-23-2013   #134
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Pictures courtesy http://www.stateofthetexans.com/ https://twitter.com/PatDStat

Braman snapping Watt

Swearinger pre-practice
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #135
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
...We've already seen that last year. Reed & Whitney on the ends isn't going to get us the pass rush we need. We need to get better...
I don't think this is an accurate assessment as regards Mercilus. Whitney became a starter because of injuries late in the season. This year, Philips will design his defense to take full advantage of his skill set. That, plus a year's experience behind him, should make for a good season for the 2nd year player. Maybe a very good season.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #136
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I meant to focus on the Dline today, but I got caught up watching the secondary today.

I did write about Mitchell in my last blog post. In sum, Mitchell looks physically good but he looked physically good last season. You can't tell a lot about dline improvement when they are just wearing shorts, not really wrecking shop anyways. But that I'm not buying big improvement because it hasn't already happened after two years of Wade, and that his numbers last year were not encouraging.
Except, Steph, that in your blog you cited that Earl Mitchell was ranked the 47th best DT in the NFL, with only 3 starts and spot duty in 2012. That’s 31 tackles for Mitchell in 2012 to Cody’s 17 tackles in 12 starts. I wouldn’t call that Mitchell’s writing-on-the-wall; still, as an adjective, “encouraging” would be my pick of the litter.

The stats don’t make Mitchell an all-pro baller. Indeed, they might be more an indictment on Cody’s play when we boil it to bone. Maybe. See, it’s difficult to make projections, yet with Mitchell I ran the ticker and I was surprised at what a quiet little bruiser he’s been as a non-starter. To wit:

Earl Mitchell - Career stats - 86 tackles - 2 sacks - 1FF – 4 Pdef. 3 Seasons – 3 starts

Shuan Cody - Career stats - 190 tackles - 3 sacks - 2 FFs – 9Pdef. 8 Seasons – 68 starts

What I’m missing is TFL stats; nevertheless, I would call Mitchell an upgrade, and if we deem him an upgrade, by inference, I would say he’s at least “encouraging” going into 2013.

I know it’s goofy; moreover, I hated the Mitchell pick at #81 when we could have had Geno Atkins at #120; yet, just for giggles I ran Mitchell’s numbers at his current pace over a 12 year career (as a backup, mind you) and I came up with 344 tackles and 8 sacks. That looks a lot like Casey Hampton, who over 12 years is at 373 tackles and 9 sacks, as a starter with 161 more starts than Mitchell.

I hate to nitpick, but I think I’m On The Nose with this one – at least as far as potential.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I don't think this is an accurate assessment as regards Mercilus. Whitney became a starter because of injuries late in the season. This year, Philips will design his defense to take full advantage of his skill set. That, plus a year's experience behind him, should make for a good season for the 2nd year player. Maybe a very good season.
Well, I'm not saying Mercilus alone won't get it done. I'm saying Mercilus & Reed won't get it done.

I think odds are better that Mercilus & Braman, Mercilus & Montgomery, Mercilus & player to be determined... is better than going with Mercilus & Reed again.

I like Reed, I think he's a fine player & deserves to be on the field. Just not at OLB.
Old 05-23-2013   #138
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 14915 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Today's OTA's!

As you know Texans have signed Sam Montgomery..

Quote:
Quote:
WR is one of the toughest positions to transition to from college to NFL, but Hopkins is doing everything, in my eyes, to get ready.
Quote:
Today was one of the first day I saw Hopkins get frustrated. He puts pressure on himself to be perfect, today it was route running.
Quote:
He would go back in line to get that extra rep to get it right. That to me says a lot about Hopkins. Always asking questions.
Quote:
Punter update: Lechler was dropping bombs today. Makes a different noise off his foot. Hard time not to be impressed
Quote:
Cushing working on side field. Looks good,moving well. Not a minute goes by where he is not rehabbing or doing something productive
Quote:
Arian Foster has been quiet with the media. Looks focused on the field and not much to say in general
Quote:
Roc Carmichael once again had good day. His closing speed on routes looks good. Has impressed with his coverage ability.
Quote:
Talked to JJo after practice, said Eddie Pleasant has turned into a NFL player over the offseason.
Quote:
Hard not to like the early start for Keshawn Martin. Looks much more confident and making a nice compliment to #80 and #10.
Quote:
Brooks Reed showed some coverage skills today. Made some tough throws for the quarterbacks.
Quote:
The #Texans TEs look good. Daniels, Graham and Griffin caught everything. Position group looks strong.
Quote:
Delano Johnson looks very good at his new position. His ability to run at 290 lbs. makes him an intersting fit at DE.
Quote:
Dennis Johnson just keeps impressing. He is able to turn corners with ease with the football in his hands.
Quote:
Cierre Wood had a good running day. Looked good with his vision, but still work to do on pass protection.
Quote:
The secondary was on top of their game. JJo was solid in coverage and had Andre and DeAndre working hard for everything today.
Quote:
If this would have been live Kareem Jackson and Danieal Manning would have had some wide receivers laid out. Both had good days.
Quote:
TJ Yates looked good throwing the football. Made some big throws to Martin and Hopkins.
Quote:
Jackson, McCain and Joseph talked about the "family" mentality they have in the secondary. All work well together.
Quote:
Joseph also talked highly of Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael and the big strides they have taken over the offseason.
Enjoy!
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #139
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Except, Steph, that in your blog you cited that Earl Mitchell was ranked the 47th best DT in the NFL, with only 3 starts and spot duty in 2012. That’s 31 tackles for Mitchell in 2012 to Cody’s 17 tackles in 12 starts. I wouldn’t call that Mitchell’s writing-on-the-wall; still, as an adjective, “encouraging” would be my pick of the litter.

The stats don’t make Mitchell an all-pro baller. Indeed, they might be more an indictment on Cody’s play when we boil it to bone. Maybe. See, it’s difficult to make projections, yet with Mitchell I ran the ticker and I was surprised at what a quiet little bruiser he’s been as a non-starter. To wit:

Earl Mitchell - Career stats - 86 tackles - 2 sacks - 1FF – 4 Pdef. 3 Seasons – 3 starts

Shuan Cody - Career stats - 190 tackles - 3 sacks - 2 FFs – 9Pdef. 8 Seasons – 68 starts

What I’m missing is TFL stats; nevertheless, I would call Mitchell an upgrade, and if we deem him an upgrade, by inference, I would say he’s at least “encouraging” going into 2013.

I know it’s goofy; moreover, I hated the Mitchell pick at #81 when we could have had Geno Atkins at #120; yet, just for giggles I ran Mitchell’s numbers at his current pace over a 12 year career (as a backup, mind you) and I came up with 344 tackles and 8 sacks. That looks a lot like Casey Hampton, who over 12 years is at 373 tackles and 9 sacks, as a starter with 161 more starts than Mitchell.

I hate to nitpick, but I think I’m On The Nose with this one – at least as far as potential.
Put the stats down man they are making you goofy! Mitchell SUCKS with a capital S. At least he has so far. Maybe he can become something more who knows. But if you think you can multiply his stats and then compare him to Hampton, one of the top NT's in the league you are crazy. That is just silly!!
Old 05-23-2013   #140
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you see that happening?

I don't see that happening.

Will say I saw some flash plays by Jared Crick today.

But yeah, this is on my mental list of Things I'm Watching Because I'm Concerned.

Of course, every team's fans have their own issues.
No I don't see that happening. That is why I said I really wish. But they better keep those guys numbers on speed dial if Mitchell hasn't improved and the middle of our defense gets pounded to the point where they start getting wore out and injuries start to mount up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read