Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2013   #101
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why would that have him MIA as opposed to in attendance and not participating (ala Cushing and Posey), or off on his own doing recovery/rehab (as in the case of Ed Reed)?
Can't really answer that question at this time any better than The Pencil Neck. Just offering a viable explanation for why he isn't present. With Kubiak's short cryptic response of "It's voluntary," I think that it's just as likely Kubiak may know more than he is revealing.........and he is not very happy.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #102
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 230377 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Punter update: Lechler was dropping bombs today. Makes a different noise off his foot. Hard time not to be impressed. #Texans

Cushing working on side field. Looks good,moving well. Not a minute goes by where he is not rehabbing or doing something productive

JJo pointed out what Kareem said about McCain. Having him back makes the secondary better. #Texans

Arian Foster has been quiet with the media. Looks focused on the field and not much to say in general. #Texans

Roc Carmichael once again had good day. His closing speed on routes looks good. Has impressed with his coverage ability.

Talked to JJo after practice, said Eddie Pleasant has turned into a NFL player over the offseason.

Brooks Reed showed some coverage skills today. Made some tough throws for the quarterbacks. #Texans

Hard not to like the early start for Keshawn Martin. Looks much more confident and making a nice compliment to #80 and #10. #TexansPDS

The #Texans TEs look good. Daniels, Graham and Griffin caught everything. Position group looks strong. #Texans

Delano Johnson looks very good at his new position. His ability to run at 290 lbs. makes him an intersting fit at DE. #Texans

Dennis Johnson just keeps impressing. He is able to turn corners with ease with the football in his hands. #Texans

Cierre Wood had a good running day. Looked good with his vision, but still work to do on pass protection. #Texans

If this would have been live Kareem Jackson and Danieal Manning would have had some wide receivers laid out. Both had good days. #Texans

The secondary was on top of their game. JJo was solid in coverage and had Andre and DeAndre working hard for everything today. #Texans

Yates looked much more confident in the pocket and

TJ Yates looked good throwing the football. Made some big throws to Martin and Hopkins. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-23-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #103
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why?

We've already seen that last year. Reed & Whitney on the ends isn't going to get us the pass rush we need. We need to get better.

I don't know that Montgomery or Williams is the answer, but I'm not "worried" about them starting. If Wade thinks it's worth a shot..... go for it. Can't get a whole lot worse.
Completely agree. I hear folks talk about experience but when have we had much experience on the outside anyway? Third year in this system so none of our guys have a ton. Ironically, Barwin and Reed did better when they didn't have any experience as 3-4 OLB's. Go figure. Experience means nothing if you can't produce and right now I'm not overly anxious to see Reed outside again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
My guess is that this is what the Texans brass hopes happens.
I doubt it. They invested two picks in OLB this year, Merci last year and Braman on roster. That right there is four guys not going anywhere. That means they already have a heavy investment in the position moreso than ILB where they made no moves. What they want is Montgomery or Williams to establish themselves because they become much more flexible if Reed slides inside giving them more balance. Plus it makes those two picks wasted and personnel folks can't stand that.

And while Sharpton is an 'okay' player he isn't very solid or that good. He's a good rotational guy but barely different than Dobbins (if at all). Might as well what Dobbins starting. I think Reed can give more at the spot but nothing to base that on really. Not to forget that a large gust of wind may break Sharpton in half *knocks on wood*
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #104
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Completely agree. I hear folks talk about experience but when have we had much experience on the outside anyway? Third year in this system so none of our guys have a ton. Ironically, Barwin and Reed did better when they didn't have any experience as 3-4 OLB's. Go figure. Experience means nothing if you can't produce and right now I'm not overly anxious to see Reed outside again.

I doubt it. They invested two picks in OLB this year, Merci last year and Braman on roster. That right there is four guys not going anywhere. That means they already have a heavy investment in the position moreso than ILB where they made no moves. What they want is Montgomery or Williams to establish themselves because they become much more flexible if Reed slides inside giving them more balance. Plus it makes those two picks wasted and personnel folks can't stand that.

And while Sharpton is an 'okay' player he isn't very solid or that good. He's a good rotational guy but barely different than Dobbins (if at all). Might as well what Dobbins starting. I think Reed can give more at the spot but nothing to base that on really. Not to forget that a large gust of wind may break Sharpton in half *knocks on wood*
The exact group of people picked all the players discussed in the top 4 rounds of the draft, so wasted draft picks is not relevant at all.

while they drafted OLBs, that does not mean they are excited about starting 3rd/4th round rookies. Kubes and co are more conservative than not and I believe that would rather start "known" quantities Reed and Sharpton unless the rookie or Reed (inside) plays well beyond current expectation.
Old 05-23-2013   #105
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Since it's voluntary, he might have decided to stay home and rehab on his own rather than coming in for it.

EDIT: And he might not have told the team he was going to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Can't really answer that question at this time any better than The Pencil Neck. Just offering a viable explanation for why he isn't present. With Kubiak's short cryptic response of "It's voluntary," I think that it's just as likely Kubiak may know more than he is revealing.........and he is not very happy.
Obviously, anything's possible, but in terms of speculating, I just don't see there's any sort of benefit to Dobbins or to the Texans for handling it that way.

The thing that's the strangest to me is that Dobbins signed a new contract in April. In addition to decreasing (IMO) the likelihood that Dobbins injury was all that "serious" (if it was, they would likely have waited to sign him), it also means he shouldn't really have any problems with his contract (or at least none that he would expect to change by not showing up to OTAs).

Maybe we'll ultimately find out - or maybe not.
Old 05-23-2013   #106
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

My bet is on Mexican Jail.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #107
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
My bet is on Mexican Jail.
In the infirmary of that Mexican Jail (just to bring the two lines of speculation together).
Old 05-23-2013   #108
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The exact group of people picked all the players discussed in the top 4 rounds of the draft, so wasted draft picks is not relevant at all.

while they drafted OLBs, that does not mean they are excited about starting 3rd/4th round rookies. Kubes and co are more conservative than not and I believe that would rather start "known" quantities Reed and Sharpton unless the rookie or Reed (inside) plays well beyond current expectation.
What are the "known" quantities? Sharpton has barely played and when he has it has been medicore at best. He has a whopping 340 snaps in this defense. That isn't even half a season worth. Reed gave us absolutely no pass rush from the outside so he is hardly a known quantity. We have no idea what he will show or not show outside. So I would hardly call either one of those guys a known quantity.

As for starting rookies, defensive lineups are chosen by Wade who has shown no issue with such. None of our guys have a ton of experience outside. Just don't see them choosing two OLB's and then being hesitant on starting them just because of the round they were chosen. Everything they have said thus far points to them wanting to see Williams or Montgomery step it up to take that role as well.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #109
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Obviously, anything's possible, but in terms of speculating, I just don't see there's any sort of benefit to Dobbins or to the Texans for handling it that way.

The thing that's the strangest to me is that Dobbins signed a new contract in April. In addition to decreasing (IMO) the likelihood that Dobbins injury was all that "serious" (if it was, they would likely have waited to sign him), it also means he shouldn't really have any problems with his contract (or at least none that he would expect to change by not showing up to OTAs).

Maybe we'll ultimately find out - or maybe not.
Only $65,000 of his contract (signing bonus) is guaranteed (his $820,000 base salary is not). And since the injury occurred in the same year of the contract, there may be a question of an injury settlement if he doesn't feel like he will be able to perform. Just another thought. However, like you stated "Maybe we'll ultimately find out-or maybe not."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #110
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on what Kubiak said, it seems like fans are sleeping on Braman.

He's starting right now at OLB.

Right now it's his position to lose. Kubiak mentioned how some guys are given that opportunity because of whatever circumstance and how guys tend to relish in the moment and seize the chance.

Dont be surprised if Braman is the starting OLB going into the season with the Rookies spelling him and Merciless in a healthy rotation...
Old 05-23-2013   #111
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 230377 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 8m
"He maybe having the best offseason I've ever seen him have." - Gary Kubiak on Arian Foster.

6th rd pick Alan Bonner had a few big catches over the middle today. Figuring it out but still needs work. #texans #texanstalk.

Manning told me that guys like Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub don't have to be out here at OTAs, but it shows what #texans are trying to do.

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #112
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Please keep an eye on Sharpton. His mobility is really good news. I hope he impresses when training camp comes around because at this point I am not too excited at the thought of having Montgomery or Williams being our day one starter. Unless we sign somebody it seems to me our best case scenario would be to have a Reed/Cushing/Sharpton/Mercilus LB Core. Hope Sharpton can stay healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why?

We've already seen that last year. Reed & Whitney on the ends isn't going to get us the pass rush we need. We need to get better.

I don't know that Montgomery or Williams is the answer, but I'm not "worried" about them starting. If Wade thinks it's worth a shot..... go for it. Can't get a whole lot worse.
Mercilus was a 1st round draft pick who had 6 sacks in a limited role, limited role. The Texans will be looking for him to have 10+ sacks as a full time starter. Reed did not have a great year last year and very well might be a better ILB than OLB but you can rest assured that the Texans did not draft Montgomery (3rd round) or Williams (4th round) thinking..."We got our day one starter at the other OLB position." You would have a rookie and a second year player at the OLB positions. At the very most they are hoping with very little confidence, but not counting on having either one of those rookies starting. This is not DeAndre Hopkins we are talking about. There might be a lot of talk about Reed moving inside but that is not the best case scenario given our current personnel.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 05-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #113
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My guess is that this is what the Texans brass hopes happens.
Agreed.
Old 05-23-2013   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Reed going inside is the best case scenario because he's not a good pass rusher.

Hopefully he can fill the role of utility man.
Old 05-23-2013   #115
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Reed going inside is the best case scenario because he's not a good pass rusher.

Hopefully he can fill the role of utility man.
I agree, he is not a good pash rusher, but who will start for him on the outside that will form a better overall LB core than Reed/Cush/Sharpton/Mercilus. Think they will start a rookie in their base formation? I'm just curious what you think would be ideal given our current personnel.
Old 05-23-2013   #116
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just a thought. Dobbins was IR'ed the beginning of Jan (4 1/2 months ago). The reason given was a nondescriptive "serious right ankle injury." If this were a significant high ankle sprain, return to play can easily be as long as 4-6 months or longer. If the high ankle sprain is severe and remains or becomes unstable and does not respond to rehab, surgery may become the only viable option.

[EDIT: ADDITIONAL INFO
Rotoworld reported the Texans release at the time:

Always get a little uneasy when I see these type of injury reports by the Texans.]
At the time we asked the question to Kubiak, he mentioned all the other guys that were there and said that Ed Reed was doing the rehabilitation per what the doctors want.

So maybe Dobbins has a physical issue. But there's other guys with physical issues rehabbing onsite. Doing mental reps.

Typically, if a guy is missing a practice for a reason, Kubiak shares that reason (like player being gone for graduations ceremony or something like that).

Still not there today.

Can't remember a player in Dobbins sort of situation not showing up for OTAs.
Old 05-23-2013   #117
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Based on what Kubiak said, it seems like fans are sleeping on Braman.

He's starting right now at OLB.

Right now it's his position to lose. Kubiak mentioned how some guys are given that opportunity because of whatever circumstance and how guys tend to relish in the moment and seize the chance.

Dont be surprised if Braman is the starting OLB going into the season with the Rookies spelling him and Merciless in a healthy rotation...
Ok, I found what you think is ideal. Braman and Mercilus at OLB and Cush and Reed inside.
Old 05-23-2013   #118
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I asked two Kubiak questions. They should be on the quote sheet this afternoon because they were recorded by Texans:

1. Re: Offensive line rotation 2. Whether they will have vet player competition for kicker.

Mentioned last years rotation due to inexperience/injury. Asked him what he wanted to do this year.

He mentioned various injuries. Still need to work with group. If he determines he has two solid guys tackle, then he'd prefer not to rotate.

2. As for kicker, he said that UDFA Shapiro is on the roster and can kick and punt, and helps spare legs. It didn't sound from his response that they would be bringing in a veteran kicker.

Here's some info about from agent's press release.

Quote:
“I signed Andrew because he has great hang time (5.0), can directional punt to the left and right, and has a great kickoff leg,” says McBride Baxter. “In addition he kicks field goals and PAT. He has held for a left footed and right footed kicker and he can cover and tackle. He has a lot of speed. He has long legs and potential to be a great specialist in the NFL. He is a great athlete.”
Go here for Andrew Shapiro's profile at Sports Agent Jill McBride Baxter's website.
Some of Shapiro’s accomplishments include:
In 2012 he was the fastest specialist in Fresno State History (4.53 (40), 3.96 (shuttle), 33.5 (vert).
In 2012 he named Honorable Mention All-Conference.
In 2012 punted 64 times for an average or 42 yards and a net of 37 yards.
In 2012 punted a long of 69 yards which tied for the second longest in the conference.
Named National Honorable Mention Punter by College Football Performance Award’s four times.
Named to the All-Conference Academic Team three years in a row.
Named special teams captain as a sophomore in 2010 and again in 2012.
Punted 66 times in 2011 for 40 yards with a long of 54.
Had 25 punts fair caught and 21 downed inside the 20-yard line (ranked 19th nationally inside 20).
Kicked off 17 times in 2011 for 65 yards.
Has kicked of 89 times with an average of 63 yards.
Has 10 tackles and 1 fumble recovery.

Pete Germano, Special Teams Coach at Fresno State in 2012, says that in his twenty years of coaching he has never been around a player like Andrew Shapiro.
“Andrew Shapiro is the most versatile specialist I have ever coached and one of the nicest and brightest young men I have met,” says Germano. “He can kick with both feet, punt, kick off, kick field goals and PAT. He is a great student of the game.”
Special Teams Coach Pete Alamar of Stanford, who was previously a special teams coach at Fresno State, echos Germano's praise of Shapiro.
"His ability to hit a high ball along with his expertise in directional punting and Aussie punting makes him a pro prospect," says Alamar. "Once you factor in his kickoff, field goal and holding skills his potential is limitless."
"His work ethic and passion sets him apart from the competition," says Alamar. "Whoever he competes against better bring their lunchbox. Andrew is truly a 4 tool specialist. He is accomplished at punting, kickoffs, holding and can also kick field goals."
So there you go.
Old 05-23-2013   #119
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

TC I'm really interested in what is going on at NT. I'm worried that is going to be our achilles heel. I just for the life of me can't see Mitchell being a full time starter and holding up a full season. Please tell me he looks like he's improved drastically over the offseason.
Old 05-23-2013   #120
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
TC I'm really interested in what is going on at NT. I'm worried that is going to be our achilles heel. I just for the life of me can't see Mitchell being a full time starter and holding up a full season. Please tell me he looks like he's improved drastically over the offseason.
I meant to focus on the Dline today, but I got caught up watching the secondary today.

I did write about Mitchell in my last blog post. In sum, Mitchell looks physically good but he looked physically good last season. You can't tell a lot about dline improvement when they are just wearing shorts, not really wrecking shop anyways. But that I'm not buying big improvement because it hasn't already happened after two years of Wade, and that his numbers last year were not encouraging. And that I didn't like the way the defense played when Cody had to go out with a rib injury--maybe that was a product of just being thin at dline but I'm not optimistic on this point.

Wade has had all-pro guys at DT. And JJ has played well when he moves inside. But as for the rest of the guys who are the DT on the line. Not seeing all pro play. Sonny Harris had some nice moments last year. He got hurt I think on Tues with a foot issue during a drill.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read