Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2013   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Montgomery did have a much better showing in day two. looked quicker and less gassed. Maybe the back was slowing him more than we think.

Sam Montgomery told me that he thinks he got pushed around a bit on day 1 of OTAs. Said he thought about it all night last night.#TexansTalk

"He has great size & great hands, he can defiantly make the tough catches." Jackson on Hopkins. Added he's only covered him a few times.#Texans

"he's flying around out here and he's catching on quick. It's going to be exciting." - Kareem Jackson on DJ Swearinger.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
#Texans fullbacks are Greg Jones (6-1 268 lbs.) Tyler Clutts (6-2 254 lbs.) and Zach Boren (6-0 255 lbs.)

Montgomery does a good job playing disciplined on the backside of a play. Two days in a row where a bootleg would have been a sack. #Texans

Sam Montgomery knows one speed. Today when Jeff Maehl tried to block him, Sam literally moved him with ease. (Picked him up.)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #42
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm LOVING these OTA reports. Doing a good job of beating that offseason JONES!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #43
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

My brother JJ Moses told me at church last week that Matt Schaub looked leaner and more muscular to him when they did an event together. I'm interested to see how Schaub performs this year.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
My brother JJ Moses told me at church last week that Matt Schaub looked leaner and more muscular to him when they did an event together. I'm interested to see how Schaub performs this year.
That's all fine & good. But what he really needs is something to help him with his confidence.
Old 05-21-2013   #45
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak: ‘Third Round Pick Way Behind At OTAs’

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) Brennan Williams is getting some attention at OTAs and not in a positive way. On Monday after the first day of OTAs, head coach Gary Kubiak showed some concerns over Williams’ progress. The third-round draft pick out of UNC suffered a knee injury on May 11 during the second day of mini-camp and did not return. An MRI cleared his knee of any major issues, but the offensive tackle is still suffering lingering effects.

“(Williams) is way behind. He’s got a little issue with his knee. We’re trying to get him healthy and we gotta get his physical condition up with the rest of the team,” Kubiak said in a press gathering after OTA practice on Monday.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...ehind-at-otas/
Old 05-21-2013   #46
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned:

Braman's not repping with the second group at all. Does that mean something, or is he just being used as a stand-in?
Very astute observation, Brisco County. Why yes, this could mean something according to Gary Kubiak. (Seriously good post, man. You should post more often. I'm actually kinda blown away.)

Quote:
(on OLB Bryan Braman) “It’s been good. Obviously, he’s getting a chance to work with the starters right now. Usually when guys get put in those positions because of Brooks (Reed) moving or whatever, it’ doesn’t matter, but when guys get put in those situations, you’ll see them flourish and take off. It’s interesting to watch him right now. He was good yesterday and I’ll go back and watch him today. Here’s an opportunity to say, ‘Brian, can you start? Can you be a starter in this league?’ So we’re going to give him a chance throughout OTAs to see how far he can come.”
Link.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I asked two questions specifically for y'all today. From the Kubiak transcripts:

(on speculation that S Ed Reed might miss the first week of the regular season) “I don’t go off speculation. We know what we know. He had the surgery. Everything went well. He went through the process of staying in Colorado which was part of the deal, part of the rehab process. Now, he’s supposed to be turned loose this week. Everything that we know is on schedule and our expectations are to look at camp at some point and be ready to go at the opening of the season. Other than that, I can’t comment on that.”

(on OLB Bryan Braman) “It’s been good. Obviously, he’s getting a chance to work with the starters right now. Usually when guys get put in those positions because of Brooks (Reed) moving or whatever, it’ doesn’t matter, but when guys get put in those situations, you’ll see them flourish and take off. It’s interesting to watch him right now. He was good yesterday and I’ll go back and watch him today. Here’s an opportunity to say, ‘Brian, can you start? Can you be a starter in this league?’ So we’re going to give him a chance throughout OTAs to see how far he can come.”

The second question was actually, "How is Bryan Braman's progress so far?"

Pretty much got the answer I thought I was going to get with the second question. Which isn't much.

On the first question, he answered more than I thought because usually he defers on injury stuff. But I figured that since a lot of the talk last week was the speculation that he would be gone week 1 of the season, figured I should give him a chance to say something.
Old 05-21-2013   #48
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, and if there is stuff you guys want me to birddog for you, I'd be happy to do it.
Old 05-21-2013   #49
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very astute observation, Brisco County.
I know that you hate to bring it up, so I will. In addition to his other good qualities, Brisco County is incredibly humble.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #50
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I know that you hate to bring it up, so I will. In addition to his other good qualities, Brisco County is incredibly humble.
He's the humblest guy you'll ever meet.
Old 05-21-2013   #51
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 14915 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry guys, super late but OTA's are running right when i'm in the middle of serious work time and I can't access a computer. Then went out with some friends after work and got some food. Just now getting home.

Rundown of Day 2 (All from Patrick Starr)

Quote:
Darryl Sharpton said it has been a tough road but he said his body has never felt better. #Texans
Quote:
Couple things from today. Keshawn Martin had a nice day. Ran sharp routes and caught the ball well. #Texans
Quote:
Ryan Griffin took advantage of his time today. Big target and caught some tough passes today, few drops, but best he has looked. #Texans
Quote:
Stephen McGee threw the ball well today. Yates and Keenum had their moments. Position battle to watch.
Quote:
Watched Jared Crick closer today. Built better now for the run, probably will help at NT in a pinch. Overall strength has improved.
Quote:
Rookie cornerback A.J. Bouye keeps making plays on the field. Did it in rookie mini camp and now first 2 days of OTAs One to watch.
Quote:
Brooks Reed's transition to the inside is interesting. Seems very natural for him. Cushing was coaching him up today.
Quote:
Talked to Deji Karim. Said his new teammates give him a hard time about his KR last year when he was with the Colts non stop.
Quote:
Kareem Jackson said bringing back Brice McCain for the defense was "huge". Says 3 seasons with JJo and Brice have been great.
Quote:
Jeff Maehl has been probably one of the most consistent WRs to this point. Has caught everything thrown his way.
Quote:
DeAndre Hopkins looks so confident catching the football. Makes one handed catches look so easy.
Quote:
QBs had an overall rough day. Poor center to QB exchanges. Some work to be done.
Quote:
Rookie ILB Ja'Gared Davis had a nice interception of a tipped pass today.
Quote:
Can't wait to see the full backs in action. All three are loads and feel for the ILBs that will be taking them on.
Quote:
#Texans fullbacks are Greg Jones (6-1 268 lbs.) Tyler Clutts (6-2 254 lbs.) and Zach Boren (6-0 255 lbs.)
Quote:
Sam Montgomery knows one speed. Today when Jeff Maehl tried to block him, Sam literally moved him with ease. (Picked him up.) #Texans
(To be fair, Jeff Maehl weighs about 170.)

Quote:
Montgomery does a good job playing disciplined on the backside of a play. Two days in a row where a bootleg would have been a sack. #Texans
Quote:
The new and improved Jared Crick

Here's a rundown of everything Starr saw that he might not have included in his tweets.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...day-two-recap/
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #52
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Oh, and if there is stuff you guys want me to birddog for you, I'd be happy to do it.
I'm interested in knowing how Kareem Jackson is moving around at 208.

And Quessenberry, since either he or Williams will be the starter.

Edit: Just saw this:

Quote:
- Kareem Jackson came into OTAs at 208 lbs., but in 2012 he played at 192 lbs. He assured us that he trains heavy in the off-season but it will even out when camp approaches. He said he plays lighter during the season and he has always trained like this.
So not much of a concern.
Old 05-22-2013   #53
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Posted this in the DJ Swearinger draft pick thread .... but think it fits here.

Swearinger ladder drills video

Edit - music NSFW.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
A direct question about Matt's performance & residual effects of his LisFranc.

If they are worried at all, that Matt will never be as good as he was.
Old 05-22-2013   #55
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask them where the hell Tim dobbins is?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #56
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ask them where the hell Tim dobbins is?
We asked. He said OTA's voluntary. Usually if there is a reason a guy isn't there, like graduation or health reasons or whatever, we are told.

So I think the answer is nobody knows.
Old 05-22-2013   #57
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A direct question about Matt's performance & residual effects of his LisFranc.

If they are worried at all, that Matt will never be as good as he was.
We won't get a straight answer on that.

I asked Schaub about his health, and he said "great."

I could ask him specifically about residual after effects and orthotics or whatever, but I'm guessing no way I get a real answer. Schaub is probably the best at saying nothing at about his physical condition.
Old 05-22-2013   #58
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
I'm interested in knowing how Kareem Jackson is moving around at 208.

And Quessenberry, since either he or Williams will be the starter.

Edit: Just saw this:

So not much of a concern.
Quessenberry is a big body. He was the day 1 guy that Kubiak mentioned as a stand out to him. Which is his way of pushing Williams.

But even before Williams' knee botherment, the Texans were high on Quessenberry. Enough that I'm getting better at spelling his name off the top of my head.
Old 05-22-2013   #59
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Here's my Day 2 Report.

Basically, there's a bunch of stuff that comes out of camp, and I am trying to sort out what is real and what is just practice talk.

Also has a link to my most relevant off-season Texans analysis links at the end.

Also has a discussion in the comments about questions people have about what I am seeing. Lots of good discussion in both the Day 1 and Day 2 comments already.

Just trying to be your eyes and ears at OTAs, giving you a flavor of what it is like to be there.
Old 05-22-2013   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We asked. He said OTA's voluntary. Usually if there is a reason a guy isn't there, like graduation or health reasons or whatever, we are told.

So I think the answer is nobody knows.
Kind of scary...I hope he's ok...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read