Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2013   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If you are awaiting some declaration from the Texans regarding Schaub's deteriorating health status in the last two months of the season, you await in vain. When it comes to revealing health matters the Texans - and they aren't alone in this philosophy - say as little as they can get away with. Even when guys have been withheld from play - Ben Tate comes to mind - Kubiak will merely say, "he's a little 'nicked up' or 'he's 'battling through some things'". Ben Tate's carries were waaay down from the year before, but how many times was he actually on the injury report?

Point is, you'll be waiting quite a while if you're waiting for the Texans to confess anything regarding an injury.
Except there is no question Tate wasn't completely healthy.

Matt threw the ball 51 times against NewEngland, 66% completion, 90 QB rating. He should have had 1 other TD, the one Casey dropped, which would have helped his QBr........ just saying while the general consensus is that Matt Played poorly, the truth is, that's Matt. He played the same in Jacksonville, @ NYJets, & at home against GreenBay.... all before the bye.

Then look @ Chicago & @ Detroit in November..... Matt.

I don't think this is as directly related to Schaub's LisFranc as CnD suggests. He talked about not following through, or favoring one particular foot, or a reluctance to shift his weight, etc.. He said you could see it in Matt's play, but I replayed all the games several times & nothing was "obvious" to me.

But I'm no doctor.

Then Matt played just as poorly in the ProBowl..... if his foot was bothering him, why play at all? He doesn't owe anything to anybody & definitely wasn't going to prove anything to anyone @ the ProBowl.

Between then & now, the Texans have done less than nothing to address the position. Yeah, if they "know/knew" they might not say anything, but they would have done more than they have.
Old 05-21-2013   #82
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Matt threw the ball 51 times against NewEngland, 66% completion, 90 QB rating. He should have had 1 other TD, the one Casey dropped, which would have helped his QBr........ just saying while the general consensus is that Matt Played poorly, the truth is, that's Matt.
The "consensus" is that Schaub played like crap against New England, is because he played like crap. Most of his stats were in the 4th quarter against a prevent defense after the game had been decided. When it mattered, Schaub led 4 consecutive drives that ended in punts in the 1st half. After the break, the Texans went punt, interception, out on downs. Ballgame. And the TD pass that was dropped by Casey was not setup on a long drive, but a 90+ yard kick return. Schaub had another chance on 3rd down and missed.

That was not the Matt Schaub that led the Texans to a win in Denver against a much better defense. Not the Matt Schaub that brought the Texans back against Jacksonville. There is a disconnect between the Matt Schaub of the 1st 12 weeks and the Matt Schaub that ended the season. Everyone has their own opinions as to why. But to suggest that what we saw was "just Matt" is putting your head in the sand.
Old 05-21-2013   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno about "doing next to nothing".
My memory might be faulty, but I don't ever recall having FIVE QBs on the payroll before. Do you? Even when Schaub, Sexy Rexy, and HotTub Boy were all here, we didn't have five QBs on the payroll did we?

So just perhaps Smithiak is (are?) actively searching for something. So, despite the positive coachspeak, 5 QBs on the payroll says, to me, they aren't totally happy with Schaub, Yates, or Keenum and are looking to, at a minimum, "push" one or two of them. Perhaps even replace one of them.

Edit: I guess you could point to the year Schaub got hurt. We had him, Leinart, Yates, Jake D. and whatshisname (with the hot wife) all on the payroll. But two of those guys were completely out of commission so that example doesn't truly play into this discussion.

I think Smithiak is (are?) lookiing for a Schaub successor. Obviously not as aggressively as some fans would like, but I think they are.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #84
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
IIRC you questioned Doc's credentials as a doctor, which is the only reason I responded.
Read back. He didn't question the doc's credentials. Not at all. So all this overly defensive nature is a bit much. In fact, he said that he doesn't doubt the doc's credentials so not even sure where you got the idea that he did.

As for the doc's prediction...it is just that. A prediction. No one save Schaub, the team and his actual doctor know if his foot began bothering him toward the end. It is simply trying to find a reason for his poor play. The only actual fact is he played like crap. There is no fact in a prediction until confirmed one way or another. Simply put nothing here is factual except the crappy play. This really wasn't worth leaping on the guy about.

Plus like TK pointed out, if his foot was bothering him to that extent then Schaub is a bit foolish for playing in a probowl, don't you think? From all we see he is continuing his offseason training per norm, OTA's etc. So again, we are just predicting and with no confirmation this all conjecture and guesswork.

Not to mention all players late in the year are hurting in way or another. You step on the field you need to perform so in the end don't really care if it was because his foot, his motion, his head, his wife not giving him any quality time or whatever. I just want to see him play better.

Last edited by deucetx; 05-22-2013 at 07:48 AM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #85
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I dunno about "doing next to nothing".
My memory might be faulty, but I don't ever recall having FIVE QBs on the payroll before. Do you? Even when Schaub, Sexy Rexy, and HotTub Boy were all here, we didn't have five QBs on the payroll did we?

So just perhaps Smithiak is (are?) actively searching for something. So, despite the positive coachspeak, 5 QBs on the payroll says, to me, they aren't totally happy with Schaub, Yates, or Keenum and are looking to, at a minimum, "push" one or two of them. Perhaps even replace one of them.

Edit: I guess you could point to the year Schaub got hurt. We had him, Leinart, Yates, Jake D. and whatshisname (with the hot wife) all on the payroll. But two of those guys were completely out of commission so that example doesn't truly play into this discussion.

I think Smithiak is (are?) lookiing for a Schaub successor. Obviously not as aggressively as some fans would like, but I think they are.
In all honesty, I don't expect the Texans to be looking for a replacement aggressively based on roughly a little bit more then a hand full of games. Schaub has shown the skills to carry this team in the past & I can't see kubiak giving up on him that quickly. It's not in kubiaks's nature as he is normality a year or 2 late on making necessary moves & even then some come w/ some pushing from an outside source. I fully expect Schaub to be the QB this season & potentially next season, but the recent influx of players at the QB position doesn't seem to of anything of real quality that could potentially push Schaub imo. Until they actually sign a player that has actually displayed some starter quality potential, then they are just going through the motions to put bodies in place & give off the impression that they are doing something about the matter imo. Very similar to what has been going on at the WR position for a few years now.

Schaub deserves a shot at redemption, but I do believe its a situation that should be monitored & addressed seriously if it starts going south. Other teams have addressed the same position w/ actual potential after having an established starter & in the end it has worked out to some of their advantage.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #86
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
In all honesty, I don't expect the Texans to be looking for a replacement aggressively based on roughly a little bit more then a hand full of games. Schaub has shown the skills to carry this team in the past & I can't see kubiak giving up on him that quickly. It's not in kubiaks's nature as he is normality a year or 2 late on making necessary moves & even then some come w/ some pushing from an outside source. I fully expect Schaub to be the QB this season & potentially next season, but the recent influx of players at the QB position doesn't seem to of anything of real quality that could potentially push Schaub imo. Until they actually sign a player that has actually displayed some starter quality potential, then they are just going through the motions to put bodies in place & give off the impression that they are doing something about the matter imo. Very similar to what has been going on at the WR position for a few years now.

Schaub deserves a shot at redemption, but I do believe its a situation that should be monitored & addressed seriously if it starts going south. Other teams have addressed the same position w/ actual potential after having an established starter & in the end it has worked out to some of their advantage.

You're looking at exceptions...The rule however is teams more often than not fail in epic fashion when they go searching for that franchise guy to take them to the next level.....& save for the Bradys, Wilsons and Kapernicks, the overwhelming majority of guys considered to be great franchise altering qbs, almost always come in the 1st round....between picks 1-15..the area in the draft where we weren't this year and even if we were, you could argue we may have needed to address other positions before qb.

But for fun lets go back over the last 2 or so seasons and see how many teams attempted to address the position with actual talent as you say and see how many actually came out on top:

Jaguars - Gabbert replacing Gerrard.....trash

Titans - Locker replacing Collins/Young.....trash

Colts - Luck replacing Orlovsky/Manning.....looks like the real deal...but they had to get inside the top 5 in the draft to get him

Arizona - Kolb replacing Warner.....trash

Minny - Ponder replacing jackson....jury's still out

Redskins - RG3 replacing Grossman/Beck...see the colts explanation

Chiefs - Cassel replacing Thigpen/Croyle/Quinn...Garbage, garbage and more garbage

Jets, Bills, Raiders and the Browns.....literally 1 disaster after another.

you can go on and on with at least a couple more teams and pretty soon you'd be at about 1/2 - 3/4 of the league.

It's not about redemption with Schaub; most of you guys have to know deep down that he's a good qb...the best we have on the roster. Plus he wasn't solely the reason we went south towards the end of the season last year. That was a total team fail
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #87
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

You're looking at exceptions...The rule however is teams more often than not fail in epic fashion when they go searching for that franchise guy to take them to the next level.....& save for the Bradys, Wilsons and Kapernicks, the overwhelming majority of guys considered to be great franchise altering qbs, almost always come in the 1st round....between picks 1-15..the area in the draft where we weren't this year and even if we were, you could argue we may have needed to address other positions before qb.

But for fun lets go back over the last 2 or so seasons and see how many teams attempted to address the position with actual talent as you say and see how many actually came out on top:

Jaguars - Gabbert replacing Gerrard.....trash

Titans - Locker replacing Collins/Young.....trash

Colts - Luck replacing Orlovsky/Manning.....looks like the real deal...but they had to get inside the top 5 in the draft to get him

Arizona - Kolb replacing Warner.....trash

Minny - Ponder replacing jackson....jury's still out

Chiefs - Cassel replacing Thigpen/Croyle/Quinn...Garbage, garbage and more garbage

Jets, Bills, Raiders and the Browns.....literally 1 disaster after another.

you can go on and on with at least a couple more teams and pretty soon you'd be at about 1/2 - 3/4 of the league.

It's not about redemption with Schaub; most of you guys have to know deep down that he's a good qb...the best we have on the roster. Plus he wasn't solely the reason we went south towards the end of the season last year. That was a total team fail
49ers replaced Smith w/ Kaepernick- looks like success

Seattle replaced Hasselbeck w/ Wilson- once again...looks like success.

Cincy replaced Palmer w/ Dalton- success yet again. Growing trend here.

Dolphins draft Tannehill & the potential seems to be there.

The Raiders had a decent option in Palmer but they chose to break ties w/ someone they didn't feel was "their guy". Does not he was a disaster imo.

Which leads me to the Cardinals replacing Kolb w/ Palmer. Without a doubt a better option.

If the jury is still out on Ponder, I very much believe the same applies to Locker.

Let's not forget the teams that have drafted QB's recently that many believe have potential & are sitting & learning in Denver & Tampa Bay for example. There are options & other teams have explored them w/ some success. Just because the Texans choose not to doesn't necessarily mean that absolutely nothing exist that could potentially replace Schaub. I'm not saying that all those listed could outperform Schaub if he returns to his old self, but the Schaub that finished the 2012 could easily be pushed by many of them imo.
Old 05-21-2013   #88
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, not much of a trend there and certainly not one of calculated QB replacement. Smith doesn't get replaced barring injury. Hasselbeck wasn't replaced by Wilson nor was he intended to be the starter. Palmer forced his way out of Cincy.
Old 05-21-2013   #89
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Can we give these guys more than one y year before we anoint them? Schaub has looked great at times too. Not that they aren't likely to be better than Schaub, especially with age in the equation, but don't be surprised if both of them struggle. Look at the problems Cam had the first half of the season.

Quote:

The Raiders had a decent option in Palmer but they chose to break ties w/ someone they didn't feel was "their guy". Does not he was a disaster imo.
Crazy talk. Schaub is better than all those guys. Tannehill has potential, but he's got a long way to go. There's nothing to suggest the others are or will ever be better than Schaub.

Quote:
Schaub that finished the 2012 could easily be pushed by many of them imo.
I think Schaub's 2012 performance is more related to the loss of Dressen, Graham's injury, crappy right oline play, and Walter's decline.

But we'll see. Certainly the end of the Schaub era is nearing.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #90
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, not much of a trend there and certainly not one of calculated QB replacement. Smith doesn't get replaced barring injury. Hasselbeck wasn't replaced by Wilson nor was he intended to be the starter. Palmer forced his way out of Cincy.
Kaepernick was drafted early behind an established starter was the point. They didn't sit on their hands bringing in late round picks & other teams cast offs who didnt seem to have much potential. Kaepernick had potential & the 49ers took him. Smart move & injury was exactly one of the reasons why you bring a player w/ his potential in. That & of course shaky play, which Smith has experienced in the past. Let's not act as if Smith was an All Pro future HOF'er & injury was the only way he was capable of being ousted.

Carroll spoke highly of Wilson very early in the offseason. Obviously he saw some potential & they drafted him early as well. We can't act as if we knew Carroll's & Seattle's intentions concerning Wilson. Assuming he was drafted early not to be given an opportunity seems a bit shortsighted & in hindsight obviously inaccurate.

Palmer did force his way out of Cincy, but in the end it was Cincy who held all the cards in that situation. Palmer would've had to retire if Cincy chose not to trade him. Cincy got Dalton & he has played well, leading them to 2 playoff appearences & showing the potential to keep growing & getting better.

All 3 were drafted due to shaky QB situations & all 3 teams have faired pretty well imo.
Old 05-21-2013   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That was not the Matt Schaub that led the Texans to a win in Denver against a much better defense. Not the Matt Schaub that brought the Texans back against Jacksonville. There is a disconnect between the Matt Schaub of the 1st 12 weeks and the Matt Schaub that ended the season. Everyone has their own opinions as to why. But to suggest that what we saw was "just Matt" is putting your head in the sand.
Like I said. In the final 4 weeks of the season, Matt did not play any differently than he did @ Jacksonville, @ NYJets, vs GB, & all those games were before November. Prior to the bye Matt Schaub had 4 excellent games & 3 wtf games.

In November, Matt played equally as bad against Chicago & Detroit. Two poor games in November two good games.

He played "well" in one game in December & poorly in 4

The only difference is that we made other excuses for five of the first 12 weeks.

I'd like to throw the Miami game in there as well as the Texans got booed at home for the lack-luster offense. But the defense turned it on & made a game out of it.

Truthfully, now that I look at it, it's easier for me to see (say) that Matt struggled with his foot all season long, not just there at the end. If I were to try to argue that the foot was/is a bigger problem than they are letting on.

But I'm not.
Old 05-21-2013   #92
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Smith isn't replaced if he doesn't get hurt...

Wilson wasn't even thought to be the starter going into camp ...that would be Matt Flynn whom they brought over from GB for a nice chunk of change. More than anything Carroll lucked up on Wilson.

Dalton is at best Schaub's equal. twice we've faced him with 2 different qb's and twice he's gone down with little to no resistance. Aside from that, Schaub's numbers across the board are better than his. Also, had you seen Palmer play recently? Dude was terrible. The Bengals only upgraded in the sense that they got a less TO prone qb for less money.

Other people view potential as things you've yet to achieve. & thus far there is 0 reason to believe that Tannehill will be that much if at all better than what Schaub currently is at this point in his career.

Which leads me to the Cardinals replacing Kolb w/ Palmer. Without a doubt a better option.
tallest midget philosophy at its finest right here.

If the jury is still out on Ponder, I very much believe the same applies to Locker.

1 guy has shown flashes and been to the playoffs...the other guy hasn't come close to doing anything.

Let's not forget the teams that have drafted QB's recently that many believe have potential & are sitting & learning in Denver & Tampa Bay for example. There are options & other teams have explored them w/ some success. Just because the Texans choose not to doesn't necessarily mean that absolutely nothing exist that could potentially replace Schaub. I'm not saying that all those listed could outperform Schaub if he returns to his old self, but the Schaub that finished the 2012 could easily be pushed by many of them imo.
Again, you've missed the point. Not only are the examples you pointed out weak, they still don't prove anything in your favor other than other teams being more willing to explore the possiblility of landing that franchise guy than the Texans are at this point....But what you're leaving out is that many of those other teams didn't have a bonafide starter-worthy qb in the 1st place...which is still why it's not the same situation as ours b/c we actually do have one.
Old 05-21-2013   #93
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Kaepernick was drafted early behind an established starter was the point. They didn't sit on their hands bringing in late round picks & other teams cast offs who didnt seem to have much potential. Kaepernick had potential & the 49ers took him. Smart move & injury was exactly one of the reasons why you bring a player w/ his potential in. That & of course shaky play, which Smith has experienced in the past. Let's not act as if Smith was an All Pro future HOF'er & injury was the only way he was capable of being ousted.

Carroll spoke highly of Wilson very early in the offseason. Obviously he saw some potential & they drafted him early as well. We can't act as if we knew Carroll's & Seattle's intentions concerning Wilson. Assuming he was drafted early not to be given an opportunity seems a bit shortsighted & in hindsight obviously inaccurate.

Palmer did force his way out of Cincy, but in the end it was Cincy who held all the cards in that situation. Palmer would've had to retire if Cincy chose not to trade him. Cincy got Dalton & he has played well, leading them to 2 playoff appearences & showing the potential to keep growing & getting better.

All 3 were drafted due to shaky QB situations & all 3 teams have faired pretty well imo.
y act as if Smith had proven anything to that point to be even considered a competent starter? He was starting, but by most coaches and fans accounts, he was a bust and shouldn't have been starting. & Once again that's not the case with us. We have a competent starting qb and the SF situation with Kap is just different from our situation.

& even if i give you Cincy that's still only 3 teams out of 32. Hardly any kind of track record or stellar success rate to base getting rid of a competent starter in search of a franchise guy for.
Old 05-21-2013   #94
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Again, you've missed the point. Not only are the examples you pointed out weak, they still don't prove anything in your favor other than other teams being more willing to explore the possiblility of landing that franchise guy than the Texans are at this point....But what you're leaving out is that many of those other teams didn't have a bonafide starter-worthy qb in the 1st place...which is still why it's not the same situation as ours b/c we actually do have one.
I don't think I've missed the point because I believe I have already stated that the Texans aren't in the same place because they are invested in Schaub & obviously have not given up on him based in their actions or lack thereof. I also stated earlier that I believe Schaub deserves the opportunity at redemption & expected it because it was roughly a hand full of games that he played poorly in. Hardly definitive sampling of nothing but poor play should he expected from him from here on out. My point was that IF the Texans did have major concerns then they have had options that they could've explored. There have been some successful alternatives other teams have drafted, so assuming Schaub is & was the the only successful option seems to be false, but as I've said before I did not expect the Texans to make a move at QB after 1 stint of poor play. Time will tell if a move will be needed in the near future. I personally don't know because I can't see the future as it seems other members on here can.

Smith was garbage before Harbaugh & after Harbaugh was average at best. Nothing more then a game manager. Assuming that Kaepernick wouldn't have had an opportunity to unseat him in the future w/out injury seems a bit silly.

Wilson took over in the preseason & drafting him in the 3rd round means somebody thought he had potential. You don't waste a 3rd rd pick on a player you believe is nothing more then a camp body imo. Did they luck out...possibly, but they took the risk & they seemed to have done well.
Old 05-21-2013   #95
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
y act as if Smith had proven anything to that point to be even considered a competent starter? He was starting, but by most coaches and fans accounts, he was a bust and shouldn't have been starting. & Once again that's not the case with us. We have a competent starting qb and the SF situation with Kap is just different from our situation.

& even if i give you Cincy that's still only 3 teams out of 32. Hardly any kind of track record or stellar success rate to base getting rid of a competent starter in search of a franchise guy for.
The reason it is only 3 out of 32 is pretty simple. Not all 32 teams are in search or in need of quality QB's. C'mon now. Trying to exaggerate your point doesn't make it legit. I merely mentioned teams that had some success in acquiring a QB as you chose to leave them off of your prior list. It was merely a rebuttal to show that not all of the teams in search of a QB failed to acquire a quality one as you were implying by only listing the unsuccessful searches & acquisitions by some teams. Once again, I do agree the Texans are not in the same boat but quality options behind Schaub could never hurt & I'm not referring to S. McGee.
Old 05-21-2013   #96
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think I've missed the point because I believe I have already stated that the Texans aren't in the same place because they are invested in Schaub & obviously have not given up on him based in their actions or lack thereof. I also stated earlier that I believe Schaub deserves the opportunity at redemption & expected it because it was roughly a hand full of games that he played poorly in. Hardly definitive sampling of nothing but poor play should he expected from him from here on out. My point was that IF the Texans did have major concerns then they have had options that they could've explored. There have been some successful alternatives other teams have drafted, so assuming Schaub is & was the the only successful option seems to be false, but as I've said before I did not expect the Texans to make a move at QB after 1 stint of poor play. Time will tell if a move will be needed in the near future. I personally don't know because I can't see the future as it seems other members on here can.

Smith was garbage before Harbaugh & after Harbaugh was average at best. Nothing more then a game manager. Assuming that Kaepernick wouldn't have had an opportunity to unseat him in the future w/out injury seems a bit silly.

Wilson took over in the preseason & drafting him in the 3rd round means somebody thought he had potential. You don't waste a 3rd rd pick on a player you believe is nothing more then a camp body imo. Did they luck out...possibly, but they took the risk & they seemed to have done well.
Hindsight is a helluva thing.

Harbaugh drafted Kap and brought in Scott Tolzien in the same year, 2010 i believe. he did this with Smith still on the roster. I think it's safe to say that Harbaugh was not going to let Smith get him fired & was fishing for anyone to eventually replace Smith... This isn't uncommon for new HC's to do b/c they want "their" guy.

Wilson on the other hand was different. He only fell b/c of his height..By all accounts he impressed the hell out of every coach and scout in the interview process and i speculate that if he ends up on any number of teams he's likely in the same position he is now. I'm only calling it mostly luck on Carroll's part b/c they'd just gave Flynn 30 million to come over. You don't make that move without thinking he's likely your starter. Also, if you look league wide, most players drafted in the 3rd aren't expected to become starters right away....let alone undersized qbs.
Old 05-21-2013   #97
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The reason it is only 3 out of 32 is pretty simple. Not all 32 teams are in search or in need of quality QB's. C'mon now. Trying to exaggerate your point doesn't make it legit. I merely mentioned teams that had some success in acquiring a QB as you chose to leave them off of your prior list. It was merely a rebuttal to show that not all of the teams in search of a QB failed to acquire a quality one as you were implying by only listing the unsuccessful searches & acquisitions by some teams. Once again, I do agree the Texans are not in the same boat but quality options behind Schaub could never hurt & I'm not referring to S. McGee.
I'm not implying that all teams in search of a qb failed to acquire one..i clearly stated that teams more often than not fail at trying to acquire quality qb's than they do succeed.
Old 05-21-2013   #98
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If you're not trolling, what are you doing? What is all that all of that ^^ GARBAGE.
I think the word you are needing is "OBTUSE", not troll.
Old 05-21-2013   #99
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jaguars - Gabbert replacing Gerrard.....trash maybe not, he has not had anything solid in the OC or HC department since being there so may turn it around

Titans - Locker replacing Collins/Young.....trash ridiculous, Locker is worse than Young and Collins at the end of his career?

Arizona - Kolb replacing Warner.....trash Kolb never had a Oline in AZ

Minny - Ponder replacing jackson....jury's still out no it isnt, Ponder is better, just needs more game time

Jets, Bills, Raiders and the Browns.....literally 1 disaster after another. Raiders had Palmer who is better IMO and certainly no worse than Matt. In fact their new MATT may very well be better than ours this season.

Thoughts.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #100
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think the word you are needing is "OBTUSE", not troll.
And to think I thought the best word to describe those that regurgitate another's thoughts w/out offering their own to the subject would be "simpleton".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read