Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2013   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates vs Case Keenum (Training Camp/Pre season 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm sorry,but Case is not an nfl caliber qb. He has a pop gun arm and is smallish.
That's right, because having "size" and a "big arm" is all it takes to be an NFL QB,

Signed, Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like I need to throw McGee into the mix as well. Seems like he'll have a good chance at proving himself as well. I think Yates holds onto the number 2 job, but I think Yates and McGee make it a tough decision for kubiak.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133684 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Looks like I need to throw McGee into the mix as well. Seems like he'll have a good chance at proving himself as well. I think Yates holds onto the number 2 job, but I think Yates and McGee make it a tough decision for kubiak.
If McGee beats out Keenum there's gonna be a lot of murder suicides on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #24
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Not as tough as you think. Did either of them ever play TE?

House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
If McGee beats out Keenum there's gonna be a lot of murder suicides on this board.
There's no way McGee beats out Case Montana...I mean Keenum. SACRILEDGE!!!!!

Seriously, I think Keenum has a chance to be the back up QB this year. Regardless, I hope the best QB wins the job.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #26
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 9943 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kind of like to WR situation for me. I don't care which one of them develops as long as one of them does. We need to find our replacement QB as soon as possible.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #27
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45123 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm sorry,but Case is not an nfl caliber qb. He has a pop gun arm and is smallish.
Case is as big as Brees and can throw farther than Schaub, so not sure what you are saying.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Well...Looks like Case is going to get a real shot to make the roster...

He and Yates took the 1st team reps yesterday...
Old 05-30-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Case Keenum 6-5/8" 209lbs
Russell Wilson 5'11"204lbs
Doug Flutie 5'10"180lbs

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=QB

"I had one scout tell me that he felt Keenum has "above average" arm strength."
Sam Khan, Jr. - Houston Chronicle

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2013
Casey Keenum, Houston 55
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Jake Locker, Washington 54
TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
Christian Ponder, Florida St 51
Stephen McGee, Texas A & M 53
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Chad Henne, Michigan 53
Matt Flynn, LSU 50
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doug Flutie 5'10"180lbs

Casey Keenum, Houston 55
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Chad Henne, Michigan 53
Matt Flynn, LSU 50
Rep coming your way. Anyone who watched Keenum in college would know that he has an arm. And I am certainly not a U of H person. But, having watched him often in college, I have a problem with those that now trash his arm strength. That's just an invalid statement, and that if you want to find criticism, you might look elsewhere.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #31
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Rep coming your way. Anyone who watched Keenum in college would know that he has an arm. And I am certainly not a U of H person. But, having watched him often in college, I have a problem with those that now trash his arm strength. That's just an invalid statement, and that if you want to find criticism, you might look elsewhere.
Agreed. The "no arm" thing came from some talking heads who didn't know anything about him coming out of college and into the draft. UH offense is primarily based around screens but it doesn't mean he can't throw the long ball or throw with speed. Same thing for those who don't think he is mobile.

Go back and watch footage of him from his freshman year in 2007. When Art Briles was HC at UH Keenum was a runner. When Sumlin arrived he put a stop to that. Go Youtube UH vs Oregon 2007.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yikes, the off-season, where verbal battles occur over two mediocre backup QBs.
Old 05-30-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doug Flutie 5'10"180lbs

Casey Keenum, Houston 55
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Chad Henne, Michigan 53
Matt Flynn, LSU 50
I've watched keenum throw a bunch of passes and the dude throws darts. Especially on those short passes.
Old 05-30-2013   #34
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133684 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But but but one guy was really good in college and the other guy won a playoff game as a rookie!

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-30-2013   #35
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

How mobile is Keenum? I'm sick of seeing Schaub unable to make ANY kind of play once the called play breaks down
Old 05-30-2013   #36
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45123 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Either of which possibly could prove to be better than the starter if given an entire season to prove it.
Old 05-30-2013   #37
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Either of which possibly could prove to be better than the starter if given an entire season to prove it.
And both could just as easily prove to be worse too. Works both ways.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2013   #38
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
And both could just as easily prove to be worse too. Works both ways.
Absolutely.

We will never know unless they get game time, which hopefully we can avoid and keep our starter healthy, and he doesn't make too many mistakes and we improve this season. However, seeing as both of them have stronger arms and more mobility than Matt, I wouldn't panic if either of them had to take the reigns. Accuracy comes with making good decisions, which should improve with game experience. Typically folks who aren't accurate after years in the league are just making poor decisions and aren't mentally tough enough to win. If they couldn't throw the ball where it needed to be at some point in college, or camp/practice, then they wouldn't be NFL QB's. Hope this proves to be a great year for Schaub, but we have some decent back-ups if it doesn't.
Old 05-30-2013   #39
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 9943 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Due to complete lack of faith by most fans in our starting QB. If Schaub could carry the team worth a damn, we wouldn't even care about Yates or Keenum.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #40
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Due to complete lack of faith by most fans in our starting QB. If Schaub could carry the team worth a damn, we wouldn't even care about Yates or Keenum.
There's an old saying that the most popular man on any team is the 2nd string QB. That's because the fans often blame all the teams problems on the 1st string QB and think the 2nd stringer would be better.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read