Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-17-2013   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's up with these players blaming agents for falling in the draft?

Quote:
Late last month, New York Jets second-round quarterback Geno Smith fired his agents after falling out of Round 1 in the 2013 NFL draft. Smith is expected to announce a decision on a new agent soon — the favorite is Jay-Z's "Roc Nation" sports agency — but he won't be the only Jets draft pick to change agents after being selected slightly later than expected.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Jets first-round pick Dee Milliner has fired Impact Sports after he was not selected with one of the first five picks in the 2013 NFL draft. Milliner "tumbled" all the way to the ninth overall pick in the draft.

Milliner was expected to be a first round pick, but there were no iron-clad guarantees that he would be selected in the top five, or even the top ten. In our pre-draft, "Shutdown 50" series, Milliner was ranked ninth by editor Doug Farrar, who had Milliner going to the Cleveland Browns with the sixth overall pick in his mock draft. Greg Cosell had Milliner going to the Pittsburgh Steelers with the No. 17 pick in his mock draft.

Milliner was represented by Tony Fleming and Mitch Frankel, who were set to negotiate Milliner's four-year rookie contract which would be worth around $12.66 million, all of which would be fully guaranteed, including a $7,588,072 signing bonus. Based on the contract signed by Detroit Lions defensive end Ziggy Ansah on May 10, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2013 draft, Milliner would have received a four-year contract worth $18,594,502 in fully guaranteed money.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...004108244.html

There has to be something else going on. Two Jets players both firing their agents because they think they should have gone higher...

Maybe you guys should have been better players?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's up with these players blaming agents for falling in the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe you guys should have been better players?
Who the hell takes accountability for their own actions these days ?!

Easier for them to blame someone else for their failures than to accept the burden themselves.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's up with these players blaming agents for falling in the draft?

It's a symptom of their generation. I see it at my work as I'm sure many of you see it also. No accountability.
Old 05-17-2013   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
It's a symptom of their generation. I see it at my work as I'm sure many of you see it also. No accountability.
I'd like to take this as condescension, as I naturally would like to stand up for my own generation, but I can't completely disagree with you. I'm guilty of it myself on occasion.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if these guys are considered to be in my generation or not, but surely they can't be this dumb. Milner is being completely ridiculous...
Old 05-17-2013   #6
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

You all see this as the players not taking responsibility. What about the agents taking responsibility? This feels to me kind of like employers (the players) holding their employees (the agents) accountable...

You know, we don't know exactly what all went on, so what I'm writing here is going to be speculation. But, I think some of this might be a good move on the players' parts. Now, I know the article basically says this whole scenario doesn't seem likely since these agents have other players as clients, but I don't buy that reasoning.

My impression is that many agents spend time not just helping their clients prepare for the draft/negotiate/etc., but also kissing up to the players. The agents want to stay on board (after all, that's how they get their money, just a cut from these contracts), and I'm sure will tell the players how great they (the players) are, how many teams are so interested in them, how they are going to be drafted so high, etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all if those agents had repeatedly told their clients a bunch of lies about what was going to happen to the player come draft day. I'm betting this is part of their initial "sell", also: if one agent is telling you: "I think you're a first rounder" and another is telling you: "Look, you're good, but realistically you'll be lucky to be taken in the second.", guess who these college kids are likely to gravitate toward in selecting an agent. And, when whatever great things that were promised don't come to pass the agents can then just help the players blame whatever as the reason they didn't get what was promised, rather than blaming the agent for the bad advice. Just like any employee, if you've dealt with an agent on a personal basis for a long time, it's hard to just let that person go, so it doesn't surprise me if agents aren't fired even when their promises don't pan out.

So, maybe these players just realized that their agents had been repeatedly lying to them, and decided to fire them. I don't see them blaming the agents for their drop, so much as saying these agents didn't do what they should have. Also, agents DO give advice about preparing for the draft, and maybe these players decided in retrospect that the agents were giving them bad advice. There's something to the agents themselves being held accountable by their employer (the players), and maybe if agents were more upfront with their clients, this wouldn't be as likely to happen.

Like I said, that's speculation, but it seems just as likely to me as the players refusing to take responsibility for their own actions.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

I won't deny the plausibility of any of that, but with Milner we're talking about a few spots. Dude was a top ten pick.

Why does it have to be anyone's fault at all?

Maybe those teams needed other guys more? Dude was a top 10 pick...What the hell did he think was supposed to happen...
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2013   #8
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

May be that the agents tell the players that they will get them drafted in "x" range if they hire them as agents. If that doesn't happen the player has every right to be upset. Depending on how far the slide is, we are talking about a very significant difference in contract. Agents to me are like outside salesmen in most industries. They are pedaling a widget that isn't that far removed from being basically the same as the competitors widget, so they have to be the difference in what widget the customer buys. Same with agents. They have to be the ones who convince you to take their guy, and if they cant, they aren't doing their job.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If the agents told the players they would be taken at spot X, or under spot X, then they lied and should be fired. But if that's the case, then the players in question are friggin' idjits that are evidently ignorant of draft history. If the agents told them they should be drafted in the top however many spots, then the players need to look within.
Old 05-17-2013   #10
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65087 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if these guys are considered to be in my generation or not, but surely they can't be this dumb. Milner is being completely ridiculous...
There is nothing his agents can do about a frigging MRI or anyone not trusting his knees. And FFS he was still taken in the top 10. What on earth as he expecting and how can that possibly be blamed on his agents?

And to think I wanted this player - I'm glad the Titans didn't trade up a couple of picks to get him.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #11
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd like to take this as condescension, as I naturally would like to stand up for my own generation, but I can't completely disagree with you. I'm guilty of it myself on occasion.
And I'm not being condescending when I say that's pretty big of you to admit it. Kudos to you.
Old 05-17-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Naive boys swimming in shark infested waters listening to the snakes hissing in their ears.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Geno Smith told him he should sign with Jay-Z too....
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think that when these guys hired their original agents, the ones they're supposedly firing, that they would have signed some type of representation contract. I imagine the agents will get paid anyway. If the agents didn't have the players sign a representation contract then they're just plain stupid. And the players falling in the draft isn't anyones fault, it just happens.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

**** 'em all. Overpriced jocks, most of whom wont work out anyway.

Yeah, let's pay these guys millions of dollars while the teachers who are responsible for educating your children are making **** money.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they fired their agents for falling , then the teams that passed on them nailed it .
Old 05-18-2013   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
**** 'em all. Overpriced jocks, most of whom wont work out anyway.

Yeah, let's pay these guys millions of dollars while the teachers who are responsible for educating your children are making **** money.
I totally agree with your sentiment here.
but OTOH, I'm too hooked to stop watching the games.
So that makes me part of the problem...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they were advised by Manti Teo's girlfriend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-18-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know the details, but if the agent had been telling him that he was a top 5 pick, if he was "guaranteeing" that he'd be selected by the fifth selection... Then he wasn't, I don't have a problem with firing him.

For all I know, his agent was calling him every other day blowing smoke, talking about, "I just got off the phone with so & so, they're looking at you & Mingo. They like Mingo, but they really like you. By the end of the week, I'll make them forget Mingo."

I mean I don't know, the agent has to string this guy along from the end of the college bowl season until signing day. Who knows what kind of honey he's spinning.

Now Millner & Smith are among the few rookies that can say, "Don't lie to me. I fired my last agent for lying."
Old 05-18-2013   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to keep in mind... if I'm not mistaken... the agent that was fired by Dee Milliner was the SAME EXACT AGENT fired by Geno Smith.

If it had been one guy saying he was guaranteed he'd be drafted at a certain position, that's one thing. But two guys having the same agent getting his guys to expect to be drafted by a certain place... then this agent needs this reality check.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read