Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I would say the ranking is a tad low, but not too inaccurate either considering Schaub:

- Constantly looks to check down or throw it out when pushed out of pocket
- Is aging and not getting any younger
- Had extensive work done on his foot, taking away whatever little mobility he ever had
- Constantly underthrows his targets
- No longer throws accurately long distance
- Can NOT be counted on to lead us to victory

Schaub is what it he is, a system manager and not even that great of one.
Well, if Schaub had checked down to Foster instead of trying to throw the ball to Walter, he might have had a TD instead of an INT against the Pats.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This offense doesn't require superbly talented players to function. This system is built to make things easier on guys vs some other offenses that rely on the supreme talent of its players.

I think qb's in this offense will look better than they do in other places because of the style of offense. Overall, it's about doing the right thing. The offense is a little robotic from a qb standpoint and it doesn't leave room for a lot of creativity. When things do break down and Schaub has to make a decision or make a big time play, I'd say he's well below average in that category.

But when things are going as planned, he is very good at doing what he's supposed to and therefore he'll roast you in those instances.

I think Schaub is about where he should be on that list considering the circumstances, but if I was just going purely off of performance no matter what the circumstances, he'd be higher for sure.

I think we can win a Super Bowl with Schaub because we have a legit #2 playmaker(hopefully). I think Hopkins is going to take this offense to another level. Bonner may be a sleeper as well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, if Schaub had checked down to Foster instead of trying to throw the ball to Walter, he might have had a TD instead of an INT against the Pats.
Schaub was a mess at the end of last year. I'll just erase that from my memory bank for now as he hasn't been THAT bad usually.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
I think that list is absurd. Schaub is in the top half of Qb's in the league IMO. I created my own list of the top 20 guys, here it is.:
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. Big Ben
7. Luck
8. Matt Ryan
9. Kaepernick
10. Wilson
11. RG3
12. Flacco
13. Romo
14. Schaub
15. Stafford
16. Cutler
17. Newton
18. Dalton
19. Freeman
20. Rivers
I think this is more accurate list, someone's potential doesn't matter in this list until they reach it.
On the original subject - it's too low but who cares.

On the above and not picking on the poster, I am mystified by the Luck love. For example, make an argument Luck is better right now that Wilson - both coming off rookie seasons. He had a good rookie season. It wasn't some epic season.
Old 05-16-2013   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Freeman is 6 years younger with a stronger arm and at least some mobility. In overall performance, they are closer than not, but Freeman has a better chance of improving than Schuab. In short we probably know what Schuab is, but we don't know what other mediocore guys like Bradford, Tannehill and Freeman will become. They are 'better" for that reason alone.
I don't understand how you can say that a guy who throws as many interceptions and has as bad accuracy as Josh Freeman does is close to Matt Schaub in performance but that's not really close to true unless you are speaking strictly of yardage. And if we're just going to go by numbers, then you can't really say that Josh Freeman's arm is that much stronger than Schaub's since Schaub has had more yards per completion every year that he and Freeman have been starting QB's.

I get it that a lot of people think that Schaub is broken down and hardly better than Blaine Gabbert (Which is cringe-worthy to read on TT, I mean really), but that's not really the case. The guy has done plenty enough while here in Houston for me to be able to say that I believe he can bounce back in 2013 and have a better year than he did in 2012 (you know, the year after he lisfranc'd his foot).

off-season rankings are pretty silly though and are only made to fuel arguments on messageboards.
Old 05-16-2013   #26
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We can talk about exceptions all day, but I still feel like he constantly looks to check down or throw it out instead of looking downfield for a better play. The good QB's constantly look downfield for developing options before resorting to a poor check down or throwing it out if there really is no other alternative. I feel, especially near the end of the season, that as soon as he is forced out of the pocket and scrambles, he immediately looks to the check down/throw away as a higher priority option. To me personally, that is simply unacceptable. I understand he is not mobile and has less time, but at least scan downfield and see if you can get a home run out of the breakdown! It just seems like Schaub rushes those poor decisions way too fast, like that pass to Foster where he threw it way too early instead of letting Foster beat his man, which he most definitely would have. Schaub is just not a reliable QB in my eyes. Sure we can win with him, but it will be in spite of him and not because of him.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #27
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Seriously I mean can we get a stout defense around here!? Or a decent running back?! 10 damn years...
Old 05-16-2013   #28
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
On the original subject - it's too low but who cares.

On the above and not picking on the poster, I am mystified by the Luck love. For example, make an argument Luck is better right now that Wilson - both coming off rookie seasons. He had a good rookie season. It wasn't some epic season.
Luck led a far less talented team with no running game or defense to the playoffs. NFL defenses were keyed to stop Luck and struggled to do so. Luck was given more responsibility than Wilson and he stepped up to the plate. I am a huge fan of Wilson but that is an argument for why Luck is better.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Schaub is lumped in a group between 16-23 along with Rivers and Cutler. Regardless of where you think he belongs in that group, Schaub does belong in that group based upon his performance in 2012. The Matt Schaub of 2009-2011 wiuld rank higher.
I agree with the grouping. I agree with the writer's category, "Limbo" But I don't understand his reasoning, then putting guys like Freeman or Romo ahead of him.

He says Schaub won't win a super bowl without a dominant defense & strong running game. But Freeman will? Romo will? Rivers? Stafford? I'm not seeing it. And Schaub has had more success than all those guys recently.

Quote:
I think that list is absurd. Schaub is in the top half of Qb's in the league IMO. I created my own list of the top 20 guys, here it is.:
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. Big Ben
7. Luck
8. Matt Ryan
9. Kaepernick
10. Wilson
11. RG3
12. Flacco
13. Romo
14. Schaub
15. Stafford
16. Cutler
17. Newton
18. Dalton
19. Freeman
20. Rivers
I think this is more accurate list, someone's potential doesn't matter in this list until they reach it.
I still have a problem when people rank Flacco & Ryan better than Schaub. & you're got Ryan at way up there in the top ten.

Then Luck.... I didn't see it when he was at Stanford & I didn't see it as a rookie. Russell Wilson & RG3 were better "quarterbacks" than Luck.

Potential... yeah, I guess he's got it in spades. That might make him a QB I'd rather have, but it doesn't make him a top 10 QB. Not in this league.
Old 05-16-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think he's ranked way too low but I'm not worried about it.

He wasn't required to put up big numbers to win last year and he didn't. I don't believe that means that he can't.
Uh... I would have liked to have seen some big numbers weeks 16 & 17. A win in either of those games would have been nice as well.
Old 05-16-2013   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Its in the eyes

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=schaub
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Luck led a far less talented team with no running game or defense to the playoffs. NFL defenses were keyed to stop Luck and struggled to do so. Luck was given more responsibility than Wilson and he stepped up to the plate. I am a huge fan of Wilson but that is an argument for why Luck is better.
Well, it's an argument but I'm not buying it.

Less talented team I will give you but not as much as the prior season's records imply. NFL defenses were not particularly keyed to stop Luck - we are not talking Peyton Luck here. More responsibility is just supposition. I liked Luck as a rookie but there is no way I would put him at #7. Across the board he has a lot of improvement to make. You aren't going to make it with 54% completions in the modern era - by the way that would translate to last among starting QB's last year.
Old 05-16-2013   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read the entire article, and to be quite honest, some of this writer's "analysis" comes off as man-crush rankings.
Old 05-16-2013   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't understand how you can say that a guy who throws as many interceptions and has as bad accuracy as Josh Freeman does is close to Matt Schaub in performance but that's not really close to true unless you are speaking strictly of yardage. And if we're just going to go by numbers, then you can't really say that Josh Freeman's arm is that much stronger than Schaub's since Schaub has had more yards per completion every year that he and Freeman have been starting QB's.

I get it that a lot of people think that Schaub is broken down and hardly better than Blaine Gabbert (Which is cringe-worthy to read on TT, I mean really), but that's not really the case. The guy has done plenty enough while here in Houston for me to be able to say that I believe he can bounce back in 2013 and have a better year than he did in 2012 (you know, the year after he lisfranc'd his foot).

off-season rankings are pretty silly though and are only made to fuel arguments on messageboards.
i am not some lazy Schuab hater, but he is an okay but limited NFl QB. As he has played for the first 3 or so year of his career Freeman has the same bottom line, but with different strengths and weaknesses than Schuab. Freeman having more arm strength and more mobilty is known not speculation.

I am pretty much convinced (obvious no way to prove) that if you switched those two guys in 2012 that Tampa would have just been out of the playoffs and the Texans would have beat Bengals and lost to the Pats. I don't care that Freeman would have thrown more int or Schaub might have had a higher completion percentage. things would have looked a little different, but neither one in 2012 was clearly better. And yes if I have my choice give the younger average guy over the older average guy, day in and day out.
Old 05-16-2013   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Uh... I would have liked to have seen some big numbers weeks 16 & 17. A win in either of those games would have been nice as well.
13-3 would have been nice, no doubt. But we were having problems with our offensive line at that point. Newton's injury really hurt us. Schaub got sacked 8 times in those two games... 11 in the last 3.

I mean, think about it... in the first 13 games, he's getting sacked at a rate of 1.2 sacks a game but he was getting sacked at a rate of 3.7 sacks a game in the last three games even when they were trying to minimize the dropbacks. There's no way they wanted to go 30+ dropbacks in those games with that line.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
And yes if I have my choice give the younger average guy over the older average guy, day in and day out.
Four seasons as a starter hardly gives much credit to the he will improve argument just because he is younger. Freeman is no rookie. Freeman has been wildly erratic as in one year he throws INT's and one year he throws TD's. Seriously look, he alternates years.

Big arm only counts in completions - Freeman 20 + 161 v. Schaub 204, Freeman 40+ 33 v. Schaub 41. A canon which doesn't hit its target is useless. Ask full of potential David Carr.
Old 05-16-2013   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've read the entire article, and to be quite honest, some of this writer's "analysis" comes off as man-crush rankings.
Agree. Rankings based on performance in '12.

12 -- http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb
11 -- http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...012/Final/QBR/
09 -- http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...2/seasontype/2
13 -- http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/p...st?&_1:col_1=9
12 -- https://www.profootballfocus.com/dat...=25&numgames=1
9/7 -- http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
13-3 would have been nice, no doubt. But we were having problems with our offensive line at that point. Newton's injury really hurt us. Schaub got sacked 8 times in those two games... 11 in the last 3.
I'm not an Eli fan. But I do respect his toughness. There was a game, forgot the specifics, but it was the year they went on to win his first Super Bowl, Eli had been sacked 6 times in the first half of a game. But they needed the win to get to the play-offs.

He played an outstanding 2nd half, they went on to win the game...... the rest

history.
Old 05-16-2013   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Four seasons as a starter hardly gives much credit to the he will improve argument just because he is younger. Freeman is no rookie. Freeman has been wildly erratic as in one year he throws INT's and one year he throws TD's. Seriously look, he alternates years.

Big arm only counts in completions - Freeman 20 + 161 v. Schaub 204, Freeman 40+ 33 v. Schaub 41. A canon which doesn't hit its target is useless. Ask full of potential David Carr.
Freeman has also been in more games where it didn't matter. They were losing, or their season was already over. Air it out & see what happens.

If he were in Schaub's situation over the last 4 years, where you're playing more meaningful games, his mistakes & interceptions, & bad plays would turn even more people off.

I understand the thought that he is more athletic. But he's been in the league enough to know that Schaub's got it more upstairs, it's not even close & that difference more than makes up for Schaub's lack of mobility.
Old 05-16-2013   #40
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16278 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll make this short and sweet. Schaub has a more experienced OL this year minus Newton who wasn't great to begin with. AJ, OD, nor Arian are coming off injury. We have a potential offensive ROY at #2 WR. If there isn't a major injury to the team and we get booted before the AFCCG, either Gary or Matt has to go. Maybe both considering the fashion that it's done in.

We have so many above average players on this team. If this team's HC/QB can't get to the AFCCG after 6+ years together, I believe it's time to go with the talent they have had.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read