Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2013   #41
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: June cuts Texans interested in?

What do you guys think about the 2 dl cuts this week by the Patriots? Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love. Both were decent and could provide depth.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
And the minimum cost of those 6 replacements (assuming rookie minimum salaries with no bonuses) is $2,250,000 meaning you've saved less than $1 million. Ignoring the wisdom (or lack thereof) of letting those particular guys go, I don't believe the $910,000 of net cap room you've generated is enough to bring in Bishop.
No additional cost as replaced by players already on team.

Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m

Cut Clutts replaced by Greg Jones
McGee replaced by no one as only MS & Yates on final roster.
Mondek replaced by draft pick Q
Harris replaced by draft pick Chris Jones
Gardner replaced by draft pick B. Williams

There is cap money alloted for draft picks & these cuts would allow Bishop to replace Sharpton.
Old 05-15-2013   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m

There is cap money alloted for draft picks & these cuts would allow Bishop to replace Sharpton.
The cap amount consists of only the top 53 paid players once the season starts (right now it's the top 51). If you get rid of six players, you're down to 47, and then you add the six new cheap(er) players (Along with their salaries).
Old 05-16-2013   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
What do you guys think about the 2 dl cuts this week by the Patriots? Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love. Both were decent and could provide depth.
Love was diagnosed with type II Diabetes; I don't know if teams want to take some risk with big guys.
Deadrick was already claimed by the Jags.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The cap amount consists of only the top 53 paid players once the season starts (right now it's the top 51). If you get rid of six players, you're down to 47, and then you add the six new cheap(er) players (Along with their salaries).
Exactly what I am saying. We have 51 roster cap players. Clutts salary is replaced by Jones & as both are already figured in to cap, Clutts saves $555K. As of Weds texans were $3.266m under cap. You can use that for either Bishop (or another player) or rookie cap OR you can use the money saved with my cuts for either Bishop or rookie cap. We still have a bit over $3m to offer a FA and still sign draft picks.
Old 05-16-2013   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly what I am saying. We have 51 roster cap players. Clutts salary is replaced by Jones & as both are already figured in to cap, Clutts saves $555K. As of Weds texans were $3.266m under cap. You can use that for either Bishop (or another player) or rookie cap OR you can use the money saved with my cuts for either Bishop or rookie cap. We still have a bit over $3m to offer a FA and still sign draft picks.
If Jones's salary is already figured in to the cap, how can it replace Clutts? That would leave us with only the top 50 players.

And before you say - well, we're adding Bishop, then please explain how we replace the other 5 players you mentioned cutting in order to make room for Bishop's contract.
Old 05-16-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
If Jones's salary is already figured in to the cap, how can it replace Clutts? That would leave us with only the top 50 players.

And before you say - well, we're adding Bishop, then please explain how we replace the other 5 players you mentioned cutting in order to make room for Bishop's contract.
I think I did this at post #42. Let me reword that Jones replaces Clutts on field & Jones $1m is already counted against cap; no increased cost. Clutts leaves saving $555,000 that no longer counts against cap. Both players right now impact cap by $1.555 million. Subtract $555,000 (Clutts being cut). Let's say for cap purpose only BEFORE signing draft picks we cut the following 6 resulting in a savings of $3.16 million. We have a space of $3. 464 (Weds) + this new savings of $3.16 = $6.624 million. We then sign Bishop for $3m for 2013. (longer contract needed but just to show 2013 cap costs). $6.624 - 3 = $3.624 left for draft guys. Once Bishop signs he is starter on field replacing Sharpton. McGee does not require a player replacement as we go with same QBs as last season. Final three players are replaced with draft picks when signed.

Post #42:

Old 05-16-2013   #48
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think I did this at post #42. Let me reword that Jones replaces Clutts on field & Jones $1m is already counted against cap; no increased cost. Clutts leaves saving $555,000 that no longer counts against cap. Both players right now impact cap by $1.555 million. Subtract $555,000 (Clutts being cut). Let's say for cap purpose only BEFORE signing draft picks we cut the following 6 resulting in a savings of $3.16 million. We have a space of $3. 464 (Weds) + this new savings of $3.16 = $6.624 million. We then sign Bishop for $3m for 2013. (longer contract needed but just to show 2013 cap costs). $6.624 - 3 = $3.624 left for draft guys. Once Bishop signs he is starter on field replacing Sharpton. McGee does not require a player replacement as we go with same QBs as last season. Final three players are replaced with draft picks when signed.

Post #42:

I'll ask this as simply as I can.

We currently have 51 players who's total salary leaves us $3.464 Million under the cap. You've suggested getting rid of 6 players making $3.16M and replacing them with Bishop at an even $3M. This leaves us $3.624M under the cap, but that number only reflects 46 players (51-6+1).

Because the league will now count the next highest 5 paid players (and the minimum salary is $375k), please explain how that $3.624 Million isn't reduced by at least $1.875M ($375k x 5) to $1.794M.
Old 05-16-2013   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'll ask this as simply as I can.

We currently have 51 players who's total salary leaves us $3.464 Million under the cap. You've suggested getting rid of 6 players making $3.16M and replacing them with Bishop at an even $3M. This leaves us $3.624M under the cap, but that number only reflects 46 players (51-6+1).

Because the league will now count the next highest 5 paid players (and the minimum salary is $375k), please explain how that $3.624 Million isn't reduced by at least $1.875M ($375k x 5) to $1.794M.
Would you agree that Bishop cancels out Clutts as one of the 51?

1. Sharpton's $674K should be more than cancelled by Hopkins.
2. Our second round pick should equal Gardner's $650k as Posey (3rd round) was $561K in 2012. Then add slight increase for new year.
3. Our third round should equal McGee's $630 as Brooks (3rd round) in 2012 was $545K then add slight increase for new year.

4. Rashon Harris $480K is more than equaled by our 4th rounder as Ben Jones cap for 2012 was $510K then add slight increase for new year adjustment.

5. Mondek $405 K is replaced by our 5th rounder as Bullock's cap for 2012 was $434K. Then add slight increase for new year.

All of these will be over the minimum.
Old 05-17-2013   #50
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Would you agree that Bishop cancels out Clutts as one of the 51?

1. Sharpton's $674K should be more than cancelled by Hopkins.
2. Our second round pick should equal Gardner's $650k as Posey (3rd round) was $561K in 2012. Then add slight increase for new year.
3. Our third round should equal McGee's $630 as Brooks (3rd round) in 2012 was $545K then add slight increase for new year.

4. Rashon Harris $480K is more than equaled by our 4th rounder as Ben Jones cap for 2012 was $510K then add slight increase for new year adjustment.

5. Mondek $405 K is replaced by our 5th rounder as Bullock's cap for 2012 was $434K. Then add slight increase for new year.

All of these will be over the minimum.
Here's the comparison of what you're proposing and essentially doing nothing (and for now I'm deferring the discussion of Bishop):
  • If we cut the six players you mentioned, we save $3.16 million in cap space. We then add the first six draft picks (I'm assuming the three 6th round picks will have no impact on the cap as they are likely signed for the minimum with no bonus). Based on a small adjustment (2%) to the contracts of the players taken at the same spots in the 2012 draft, it's reasonable to assume those six players will take $4.1M in cap space once signed. Since you've let 6 players representing $3.16M in cap space go, the net cap space used to sign the draft class is $.94M leaving us $2.684 in cap space (3.624-.94). This will also leave us 6 open spots on the 90 man training camp roster, and they will have to be filled with players making the rookie minimum in order to avoid increasing the cap amount.
  • If we do nothing, once the top six picks are signed, the contracts currently representing spots 45-51 in the cap calculation will simply drop off, and be replaced by the 6 rookie contracts. This means that $2.43M (6 x $405,000*) will drop off, and the $4.1M will take it's place creating a net use of cap space of $1.67M or less than $1M more than your suggestion. Our remaining cap space is now $1.954M (3.624-1.67).
Essentially, if we're to sign Bishop at a $3M cap hit in year one, your plan gives us just enough cap room (assuming he replaces a rookie minimum contract in the top 51, and we need to generate around $700K under the do nothing plan. We can't forget that we're going to need some additional space to cover any players that may end up on IR, and the two additional spots that will be included in the cap calculation once the regular season starts.

Even though I abhor the idea of kicking the salary cap can down the road, there's any number of players who could easily restructure and create more than that amount in cap space, and I'd rather play kick the can (for a small amount) than take away all 6 players you mentioned for less than $1 million in net salary cap relief.

(*) In a previous post I referred to the rookie minimum amount as $375,000. That's the 2011 amount - $405,000 is the 2013 amount.
Old 05-29-2013   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Anyone hearing anything on possible cuts we would be interested in? June first is Saturday.
Old 06-03-2013   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/8497639

But the list is short, and it's short because most of the dirty work has been done. A recent study of NFL teams revealed that nearly three-fourths of the clubs have at least $1.6 million in cap room, which means don't look for any unexpected bombs.
Old 06-03-2013   #53
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But the list is short, and it's short because most of the dirty work has been done. A recent study of NFL teams revealed that nearly three-fourths of the clubs have at least $1.6 million in cap room, which means don't look for any unexpected bombs.
Recent? That article is from May 23, 2005 and is talking about Johnny Morton being cut.

This Johnny Morton: http://youtu.be/mniHJAQmNG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #54
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...of-June-1.html

Once teams were allowed to designate players as June 1 cuts before June 1...this date has had relative low importance in terms on new players hitting the market.
Old 06-03-2013   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Recent? That article is from May 23, 2005 and is talking about Johnny Morton being cut.
Don't tell Wade that Michael Barrow is available. He'll probably want to put him in the starting lineup.
Old 06-04-2013   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

This Johnny Morton: http://youtu.be/mniHJAQmNG8
The purpose of the link was to show why not too many notable players available at this date. It gets fewer and fewer annually.
Old 06-04-2013   #57
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
There are plenty of guys still out there that could help this team. I'd be looking for vets that will agree to a minimum deal to come have a chance at a ring. Guys like:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

You know, someone that can play NT or rotate in on 3rd downs. I think we really lack depth there. I would also like to see another DB and LB added.
Richard Seymour will not go anywhere for a minimum deal. He is all about the $$$$$.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #58
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I imagine the Texans are looking for a veteran Safety, ILB, and RT.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #59
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 6583 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would LOVE Michael Turner signed for red zone.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I would LOVE Michael Turner signed for red zone.
The last thing the Texans need in a backup RB is a red zone RB. Arian does just fine there as in led the league by 2 last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read