Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give our second round selection?
A 49 62.82%
B 27 34.62%
C 1 1.28%
D 0 0%
F 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2013   #21
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7330 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade Round 2 DJ Swearinger

I need to watch some more tape on him before i grade this.

... nah just playing i really like this pick. Hard hitting safety to learn from Reed and Manning. Plus it keeps Keo out of the lineup.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #22
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is a brilliant move, go get a safety with a skill set like Reed (albeit not that explosive playmaker ability) with top flight instincts, a hitters mentality, and great range (due in part to his instincts) and let the greatest safety to play mentor him and craft him in his own image. Fantastic, really capitalizing on the assets we have in place, and thinking five years ahead.

The same could be said of the Hopkins pick, this is how teams avoid rebuilding slumps.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #23
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm very ehhhhh on this pick. I think he's short to be covering TE in the NFL and we need a guy with coverage skill not hitting ability. There were better prospects available.
You do realize he his 5'10" 208lbs. That's only an 1" shorter than Manning & Quin & he weighs just as much if no more then both. His size seems adequate & personally I like the pick considering there was a mad rish on ILB's & Baltimore made it obvious by jumping 1 spot in front of the Texans to ensure they got one. Safety was a need & I believe the Texans got a quality player w/out reaching for a player that wasn't 2nd round quality.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #24
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 372 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Swearinger is one of my favorite players in the draft. Maybe we could've gotten him later, but I don't care. Shades of Bernard Pollard.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #25
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Good pick not the position I would have chosen but after a little thought our 3rd Safety gets on the field a lot plus with Reeds age its good to have a Safety with upside backing him up.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #26
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

He certainly looks the part... but Iīm a little concerned. He seems to be very cocky and always trying to go for the big hit. That with his trash talking will attract lots of penalties. And it seems like he doesn`t really wrap up - in the NFL that could lead to several missed tackles.

I think he needs some work, especially controlling his emotions on the field. But he could be a true difference maker. I don`t think teams will like to run slants against us with Cush and Swearinger in the middle...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Cosell was very high on DJ:
Quote:
With that in mind, my two favorite safeties to watch on film were Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International, and South Carolinaís DJ Swearinger. They likely wonít be the first two safeties drafted (although you never know), but thatís not my point. And by the way, they both will be NFL starters and quality players, maybe even as rookies.
Quote:
I could see Cyprien becoming the best safety in this draft class three or four years down the road. If not, how about Swearinger? Forget about the 40 time. Those who focus on his timed speed miss the overall package. This kid played fast and decisively. There was a snap to his movement. He trusted his eyes, and he attacked aggressively. He showed excellent balance and body control breaking down to tackle in space. He competed with an edge. I loved his playing personality. He was clearly the tempo-setter for the South Carolina defense.

Hereís why I believe Swearinger transitions very well to the NFL. He played every position in the Gamecocksí secondary. He has significant experience at safety, both deep and in the box, slot corner and outside corner. He played man-to-man against Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter both outside and in the slot, and he ran with Hunter. You know what really stood out when he played man, especially over the slot; he understood how to play to his safety help over the top. He undercut routes, taking away the throwing lane for the quarterback. Thatís great awareness. I do not often see that with college defensive backs.

Swearingerís position versatility fits the NFL game. You donít have to project. Itís all there on tape. With the myriad responsibilities that safeties now must perform, and that coordinators need them to execute to game plan a fully dimensional defense, the adaptability of a player like Swearinger is critical in the constantly changing world of NFL offense.

And Rotoworld did a nice piece on him, too:
Punisher: S D.J. Swearinger

Quote:
Type DJ Swearinger's name into Google, and the first page will be littered with examples of why he's become a college football fan favorite over the last three years - big hits and big plays. While young phenom defensive lineman Jadeveon Clowney is the most prominent Gamecock defender, Swearinger is the leader and Captain of the South Carolina defense, and it's easy to see why. The unit as a whole took on Swearinger's personality, playing with equal part's cockiness and violent reckless abandonment.

That's not to say that Swearinger is just a freelancing goon enforcer. One of the things that immediately jumps out about Swearinger is how versatile he is and how many roles he excels in for South Carolina. In South Carolina's base 4-2-5 defense, he's listed as a Free Safety. Over the course of a game, however, you'll see him line up all over the field. He's played as a center-fielder, can go down in the box as a Strong Safety, and even got a healthy amount of snaps at Cornerback for the Gamecocks this year after injuries took their toll on that position...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Greg Cosell was very high on DJ:

And Rotoworld did a nice piece on him, too:
Punisher: S D.J. Swearinger
One of the biggest reasons I never saw him as a strictly in the box safety. People think he's just an enforcer, but that's just a part of his game. The dude is very smart on the field and instinctive. I love the Swearinger pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude is a baller; that's all.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #30
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time Swearinger gets flagged, it's not because of his illegal hits, it's because he has too much swag.

DJ Swearinger wasn't always named Swearinger. When he was born, his name was Swagginger.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Grade B
Nice player; I wanted to give him a higher grade but a combination of his lack of ideal size and the propensity to miss tackles held me back.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read