Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: June cuts Texans interested in?

2010 & 2011 were very good for him but TBH I forgot about him when he was injured in preseason. He is 28 YOA I think. This is why I started thread in order that we can discuss players like this. If healthy, in this defense, he could do extremely well and fill a hole.

What's the opinion, is it better for Texans to trade a '14 pick and get him or hope he will sign for us IF another team does not trade?
Old 05-14-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?
We are at about $4m under without the draft picks but there are contracts we can adjust. Bishop's next two years avg about $3.5m base.
Old 05-14-2013   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Is June even still an important cut date? Seems once they allowed teams to designate a player as a June 1 cut, that nothing interesting happens any more.
Nope, hasn't been for a while now
Old 05-14-2013   #24
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?
OG's Brooks & Jones become starters and then Smith cuts Wade Smith. This move saves I think 2,250,000 is that enough to sign both?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
OG's Brooks & Jones become starters and then Smith cuts Wade Smith. This move saves I think 2,250,000 is that enough to sign both?
maybe Hamilton but no way it signs Bishop, imo.
Old 05-14-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Once the Texans sign all their draft picks and pare down to the 53-man roster, they will have approximately $1.7M in cap space according to my estimation (using the firgures from spotrac.)

When they sign a FA, they would need to cut a player, freeing up an additional $500K (a lowly regarded player at the bottom of the salary structure.)

Cutting Wade Smith would free up $3M in cap space, according to spotrac.
The available cap space would then be $5.2M

Bishop's contract will require roughly $4M in 2013.
Hampton took a pay cut last year; he earned some $2.8M.
He may take even less this year.

On the surface, it looks like the Texans don't have enough to sign both;
However, if they rework Bishop's contract (with an extension perhaps), they can fit both under the cap - if all the figures from spotrac are true.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Once the Texans sign all their draft picks and pare down to the 53-man roster, they will have approximately $1.7M in cap space according to my estimation (using the firgures from spotrac.)

When they sign a FA, they would need to cut a player, freeing up an additional $500K (a lowly regarded player at the bottom of the salary structure.)

Cutting Wade Smith would free up $3M in cap space, according to spotrac.
The available cap space would then be $5.2M

Bishop's contract will require roughly $4M in 2013.
Hampton took a pay cut last year; he earned some $2.8M.
He may take even less this year.

On the surface, it looks like the Texans don't have enough to sign both;
However, if they rework Bishop's contract (with an extension perhaps), they can fit both under the cap - if all the figures from spotrac are true.
I'd be surprised if both Jones and Brandon Brooks start. I just don't see Smith leaving, if nothing else he remains as a back up.

Bishop's salary per Spotrac: $3,464,000 with an incentive bonus of $300k and work out bonus of $200k that may or not be part of a reworked contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/
Old 05-14-2013   #28
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Marvin McNutt was released by the Eagles today. He's a guy I know a few fans on here wanted as early as the third round last year. Worth bringing in for a look?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Well Marvin McNutt was released by the Eagles today. He's a guy I know a few fans on here wanted as early as the third round last year. Worth bringing in for a look?
Late round 4th-6th for me.
Yes, bring him in, I agree!
Old 05-14-2013   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Some stats:
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/..._marvin00.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...utt?id=2532909

I think he is a project but excellent size/speed ratio.

Weaknesses McNutt can struggle when running routes across the middle. There are consistency and effort issues when blocking and running decoy routes that aren't intended to him, and he can struggle off the line if he isn't decisive and powerful with his first step.
Old 05-14-2013   #31
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Cushing is certainly not a given..........and Sharpton will be lucky to be medically cleared sometime during training camp..........after that, with the combination of his type of prior injuries and surgeries, we may find that the spit, bubble gum and Elmer's glue holding him together may not work very long once he finds his way back onto the field. We need TWO additional reliable ILBs to allow for the "ifs" that haunt this squad. Brooks MAY be one.......we don't even know that for sure. What I do know is that if the Texans maintain an air of false security at that position by taking for granted that the old Cushing and the new Sharpton are going to be "there" when they need them, it could be a very long season for the D.
Agree completely.
Old 05-14-2013   #32
mmwest
Site Contributor

Section: 638 The one always standing & yelling.
Rep Power: 0 mmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, we are fine at receiver. ILB and both OL and DL seem to be the needs.
It's time to make decisions on both Harris and Carmichael. High draft picks and no production from either one of em.
Old 05-14-2013   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'd be surprised if both Jones and Brandon Brooks start. I just don't see Smith leaving, if nothing else he remains as a back up.

Bishop's salary per Spotrac: $3,464,000 with an incentive bonus of $300k and work out bonus of $200k that may or not be part of a reworked contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/
Losing W.Smith so that the middle of the defense can be fortified. Sign me up for that. The defense would be complete.

I would do this even if it meant also cutting Dobbins. This is the price you pay for the absurd Schaub contract.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Losing W.Smith so that the middle of the defense can be fortified. Sign me up for that. The defense would be complete.

I would do this even if it meant also cutting Dobbins. This is the price you pay for the absurd Schaub contract.
You want to weaken Schaub's blind side to strengthen ILB? uh oh. Brooks should be able to plug RT but think probably not LG but if he could then I am on your side. I think Q or Williams could play adequate at RG but the other side concerns me if Smith is cut.

I disagree on Schaubs contract but do hope we can replace him 2015.
Old 05-15-2013   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dobbins is making the veteran minimum. Unless you simply chose not to replace him - and carry one less LB - the most you could save by releasing him is $150,000 and that would be replacing him with a rookie. If you replaced him with a player with two years or more in the league, the best you could hope to do is break even.
Old 05-15-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Dobbins is making the veteran minimum. Unless you simply chose not to replace him - and carry one less LB - the most you could save by releasing him is $150,000 and that would be replacing him with a rookie. If you replaced him with a player with two years or more in the league, the best you could hope to do is break even.
I think what Steelb meant is that if we need to pay for a guy like Bishop, he would be OK with letting Dobbins go for any saving at all to keep the team under the cap.

Personally, I think I would part with Sharpton first (even though I like him), 'cause it's difficult to project injury.
Old 05-15-2013   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

There are players to cut like Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m that get you Bishop and all would be replaced with draft picks or roster back ups.
Old 05-15-2013   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think what Steelb meant is that if we need to pay for a guy like Bishop, he would be OK with letting Dobbins go for any saving at all to keep the team under the cap.

Personally, I think I would part with Sharpton first (even though I like him), 'cause it's difficult to project injury.
And my point is that unless you're willing to go with one fewer ILB's on the roster, the only way there's any savings is if he's replaced by rookie or 1 year player who can be signed for the minimum with no bonus. Considering the only ILB's we currently have on the roster who have ever played in a RS NFL game are Cushing, Dobbins, and Sharpton, and two of those guys are making the veteran minimum, it just seems like it would be better/easier to find another way to generate that $150,000 (at most) savings.

Note: obviously for this purpose I was ignoring the possiblity of Reed (or anyone else) moving to ILB, although that's also a possibility.
Old 05-15-2013   #39
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
There are players to cut like Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m that get you Bishop and all would be replaced with draft picks or roster back ups.
And the minimum cost of those 6 replacements (assuming rookie minimum salaries with no bonuses) is $2,250,000 meaning you've saved less than $1 million. Ignoring the wisdom (or lack thereof) of letting those particular guys go, I don't believe the $910,000 of net cap room you've generated is enough to bring in Bishop.
Old 05-15-2013   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

I'd like to see Bishop & Cushing backed by Dobbins, Brahman, Tuggle and occasionally Reed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read