Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.57%
B 33 42.86%
C 14 18.18%
D 5 6.49%
F 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2013   #141
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Texans do send a 5-man blitz often (perhaps among the most in the league); however, against the spread, they would be most likely in nickel or in dime (no OLB).

The point about the OLB being in coverage becomes moot.
Which is what I was trying to convey in my original post that he quoted.

I think Mr Tex is confused about the Texans defensive formations against certain offensive formations.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #142
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. 7 guys in coverage with 4 rushing is standard. Are you saying Wade should employ a three man rush and let QB's get all the time they need to read the field?

What is ultra aggressive about sending 4?
Teams that spread you out don't need a whole lot of time to read the field. Adding 1 more guy to rush the passer many times doesn't make a ton of difference..So yeah, at times just rush 3 and cover everything else up if for nothing else to change it up. A coverage sack is just as good as a pressured sack. Plus when you've got guys with big time motors like Watt and Smith..1 of them is bound to comes free.

You're only looking at being aggressive in terms of how many people he sends after the qb...i consider playing press man coverage to be aggressive...& when you consider that we predominantly play press man...its ultra aggressive imo..i don't think any other team plays man as much as we do.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #143
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Teams that spread you out don't need a whole lot of time to read the field. Adding 1 more guy to rush the passer many times doesn't make a ton of difference..So yeah, at times just rush 3 and cover everything else up if for nothing else to change it up. A coverage sack is just as good as a pressured sack. Plus when you've got guys with big time motors like Watt and Smith..1 of them is bound to comes free.

You're only looking at being aggressive in terms of how many people he sends after the qb...i consider playing press man coverage to be aggressive...& when you consider that we predominantly play press man...its ultra aggressive imo..i don't think any other team plays man as much as we do.
I'll end the conversation here Mr Tex. I have not said anything about what my idea of aggressive defense is so you're making stuff up.

As far as rushing 3 instead of 4, well whatever.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #144
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'll end the conversation here Mr Tex. I have not said anything about what my idea of aggressive defense is so you're making stuff up.

As far as rushing 3 instead of 4, well whatever.
lol, i didn't say you said that....but based on what you mentioned in your post (how is sending 4 ultra-aggressive?) yes, i did assume you thought i only meant aggressiveness in terms of how many he sends after the qb when in fact i'm talking about the defense as a whole...my apologies.

Don't tap out just yet homie.
Old 05-14-2013   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, according to an article I just read, the Texans were best in the league entering week 14 (QBR against) with the blitz.

I think it could be argued both ways as Brady's past records seem to indicate that he's been more successful against the blitz.

I think everybody would prefer not to have to rely on the blitz too much.
In 2012, Wade probably think we didn't have enough good pass rushers, so he chose to go with the blitz more.

The results against the Pats could have been better if the execution of the scheme was better (fewer mis-assignments or late to assignment.)

I could be playing devil advocate here; but I think either approach could work.
The Texans just need consistency in their assignment.

Hopefully, the new guys will add some value to the pass rush.
(Including Ed Reed and Swearinger in the back end).
A healthy JJo and McCain could also help, along with a more experience Harris.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think he's talking about always sending 5: the two OLBs and the three down lineman.
We wouldn't be sending 5 if one of the rush ends can get home.
Old 05-14-2013   #147
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The thing is, according to an article I just read, the Texans were best in the league entering week 14 (QBR against) with the blitz.

I think it could be argued both ways as Brady's past records seem to indicate that he's been more successful against the blitz.

I think everybody would prefer not to have to rely on the blitz too much.
In 2012, Wade probably think we didn't have enough good pass rushers, so he chose to go with the blitz more.

The results against the Pats could have been better if the execution of the scheme was better (fewer mis-assignments or late to assignment.)

I could be playing devil advocate here; but I think either approach could work.
The Texans just need consistency in their assignment.

Hopefully, the new guys will add some value to the pass rush.
(Including Ed Reed and Swearinger in the back end).
A healthy JJo and McCain could also help, along with a more experience Harris.
"Brady hasn't seen this much man in a long time.." - Jon Gruden in the monday night game against NE.

You couple the above statement with sending more than your base down linemen too regularly...you're gonna be in trouble against those type of guys.
Old 05-14-2013   #148
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We wouldn't be sending 5 if one of the rush ends can get home.
yeah, but those ends need time to get home....& with the way NE's recievers were running wide open, not even JJ could get there in time before the ball was already gone. Go back and watch that 1st NE game....check out how wide open those guys were running.

Sending more guys only opens the field up more
Old 05-14-2013   #149
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Brady hasn't seen this much man in a long time.." - Jon Gruden in the monday night game against NE.

You couple the above statement with sending more than your base down linemen too regularly...you're gonna be in trouble against those type of guys.
Well, the Texans did blitz a little less in the play-off game.

Basically, Brady was effective regardless whether the Texans blitzed or not.

Old 05-14-2013   #150
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, the Texans did blitz a little less in the play-off game.

Basically, Brady was effective regardless whether the Texans blitzed or not.

I agree, I just can't see how people think bringing in more edge rushers is going to change much of anything.....Even if Williams and Montgomery are better overall edge rushers it won't mean much if Wade doesn't fundamentally change his approach to these types of offenses / Qbs.
Old 05-14-2013   #151
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, I just can't see how people think bringing in more edge rushers is going to change much of anything.....Even if Williams and Montgomery are better overall edge rushers it won't mean much if Wade doesn't fundamentally change his approach to these types of offenses / Qbs.
The Texans were being caught out of position / not prepared for the pace of the Patriots offense. With Cushing back in the middle and Ed Reed in the secondary I fully expect the Texans to be more able to make better defensive calls and adjustments pre-snap.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #152
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You can't always believe everything you hear. I respect Jon Gruden, but our playing man coverage was not the problem... since we play a hybrid man coverage on most downs anyway. The two guys on the corners, they almost always play man... because they can.

Quote:
I simply don't believe that. We need to get better at what we do, not fundamentally change what works. & yes, we need better (not more) pass rushers to get their licks in on Brady. If we had two edge rushers that were better than the two we trotted out last season, we wouldn't have to blitz.

That's the fundamental you are refusing to see. Forget that we play a 3-4, when we get into passing situations, it's a 4-3. You won't be seeing Justin Tuck or Jared Allen dropping into coverage as much as you'll see our edge rushers drop into coverage. Those teams will drop a LB & bring in another DB.

We'll lose the NT/LB & add a DB. Again, if you've got Derrell Revis & Antonio Cromartie outside..... you play man. We don't have Revis & Cromartie, but our two are pretty damn good.

Replace Bradie James with Brian Cushing. Replace Quentin Demps with Ed Reed. Shilo Keo with Dj Swearinger. Get an offense that can stay on the field against sub-par defenses in the play-offs, and offense that can score against sub-par defenses & we've made all the fundamental changes we need to.
Old 05-15-2013   #153
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Grade A
A very late third round pick should be expected to become at least a good rotational player with some upside to become a starter.
Montgomery certainly has the upside to become a starter; thus the A grade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read