Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default June cuts Texans interested in?

Any players you think Texans may be interested in June 1st?
Any Texans you think might be cut?
Old 05-13-2013   #2
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: June cuts Texans interested in?

I would expect for a Veteran corner to be brought in. Don't know if it'll be a cut casualty or a free agent still out there, but it would surprise me if that didn't happen.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

There are plenty of guys still out there that could help this team. I'd be looking for vets that will agree to a minimum deal to come have a chance at a ring. Guys like:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

You know, someone that can play NT or rotate in on 3rd downs. I think we really lack depth there. I would also like to see another DB and LB added.
Old 05-13-2013   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
There are plenty of guys still out there that could help this team. I'd be looking for vets that will agree to a minimum deal to come have a chance at a ring. Guys like:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

You know, someone that can play NT or rotate in on 3rd downs. I think we really lack depth there. I would also like to see another DB and LB added.
I don't think it's just me but we NEED to shore up the ILB core. Perhaps just coachspeak as has been pointed out prior about not moving BR inside but something has to be done or we're right back to where we were last season. IMHO

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195574 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

Do you REALLY think Seymour or Ellis or Hampton will play for vet min?? I have my doubts.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I don't think it's just me but we NEED to shore up the ILB core. Perhaps just coachspeak as has been pointed out prior about not moving BR inside but something has to be done or we're right back to where we were last season. IMHO
The linebacking corp is the weakest spot on this team imo. We're counting on Cushing to be 100% which is in all likelihood not realistic given the severity of his injury. We don't know who's going to lineup next to him yet. And if it's someone like Sharpton well enjoy watching him get run over or beat in the passing game. Tim Dobbins is a nice backup, but he's just that: a backup and nothing more. The OLB situation is unsettled as well with Whitney Mercilus the only guaranteed starter and even then I'm not sure if he's ready to be a starter yet. Brooks Reed had an uneven year so he's a bit of a question mark too and who knows where he'll line up??? We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders who will get significant playing time at the OLB positions even though they have limited to no experience playing those positions. All in all, it's a pretty worrisome picture for a team that runs the 3-4 defense (or some version of it at least) and it doesn't inspire any hope in me that this team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.
Old 05-13-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am watching those known FAs still out there but was hoping more for someone I have missed that is on a team that has a solid young vet who would move to starter with maybe a draft pick of some renown as back up allowing team to cut the starter from last season. I do not know the other rosters well at all and hoped you guys may have identified some possibilities.
Old 05-13-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring Hampton Home,

He probably wont be signed until after the 2nd game of the yr. (Like Pollard) So they dont have to garuntee his contract. I dont know if the Texans have enough cap space to sign any FA's vet minimum or not.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am watching those known FAs still out there but was hoping more for someone I have missed that is on a team that has a solid young vet who would move to starter with maybe a draft pick of some renown as back up allowing team to cut the starter from last season. I do not know the other rosters well at all and hoped you guys may have identified some possibilities.
Desmond Bishop is rumored to be on the trade block.
Old 05-13-2013   #10
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Desmond bishop, period.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
The linebacking corp is the weakest spot on this team imo. We're counting on Cushing to be 100% which is in all likelihood not realistic given the severity of his injury. We don't know who's going to lineup next to him yet. And if it's someone like Sharpton well enjoy watching him get run over or beat in the passing game. Tim Dobbins is a nice backup, but he's just that: a backup and nothing more. The OLB situation is unsettled as well with Whitney Mercilus the only guaranteed starter and even then I'm not sure if he's ready to be a starter yet. Brooks Reed had an uneven year so he's a bit of a question mark too and who knows where he'll line up??? We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders who will get significant playing time at the OLB positions even though they have limited to no experience playing those positions. All in all, it's a pretty worrisome picture for a team that runs the 3-4 defense (or some version of it at least) and it doesn't inspire any hope in me that this team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.
Cushing is certainly not a given..........and Sharpton will be lucky to be medically cleared sometime during training camp..........after that, with the combination of his type of prior injuries and surgeries, we may find that the spit, bubble gum and Elmer's glue holding him together may not work very long once he finds his way back onto the field. We need TWO additional reliable ILBs to allow for the "ifs" that haunt this squad. Brooks MAY be one.......we don't even know that for sure. What I do know is that if the Texans maintain an air of false security at that position by taking for granted that the old Cushing and the new Sharpton are going to be "there" when they need them, it could be a very long season for the D.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Desmond Bishop is rumored to be on the trade block.
Ok, great, this is what I am looking for.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...desmond-bishop

2010 & 2011 very good stats & supposedly ready for this season after hammy and 28 YOA $3.5m for '13 & '14.

Do we have anything to trade?
Old 05-14-2013   #13
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2010 & 2011 very good stats & supposedly ready for this season after hammy and 28 YOA $3.5m for '13 & '14.

Ben Tate? Isn't he a ufa after this year?
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #14
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Draft picks or wait until he is cut. The Packers are having a hard time finding a trade partner so they would probably take a lower draft pick than one would think. Everybody knows that he will be cut because they will save over 3 million in cap space. The Packers signed Brad Jones to a 3 year 11.75m contract so Bishop is gone. We need to get this guy.
Old 05-14-2013   #15
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Here is what I wrote the have the Texan found their ILB thread, the first 2 options are why should look at option 3.

Now we have 3 options. Move Reed inside and play a rookie and 2nd year player at the OLB positions, keep Reed outside and have Dobbins play inside, or sign an ILB and keep Reed outside. IMO the best case scenario is to sign Desmond Bishop. The Packers are trying to trade Bishop and will cut him if they can't trade him because I believe they will save over 3 million against the cap. Hope we pull a Daryl Morey and make it happen. Desmond Bishop would be a great move.

Here is an article that explains his situation and why he will be cut, except for what they will save against the cap.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/3...hop-price-high
Old 05-14-2013   #16
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

on your list the only one that I would want is Richard Seymour.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
on your list the only one that I would want is Richard Seymour.
You would want Seymour to be a backup? He wouldn't come here to sit behind Watt and Smith. The only starter on that list is Hampton and he would be a situational player as well. The difference is he wants to play here, and no one knows what Seymour wants to do.

I'd be good with having Bishop come here at the right price, and I think I'd even sign Jason Allen to come back on a 1 year deal. If we could somehow get those 2 guys with Hampton I would be on cloud 9.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is June even still an important cut date? Seems once they allowed teams to designate a player as a June 1 cut, that nothing interesting happens any more.
Old 05-14-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Ben Tate? Isn't he a ufa after this year?
Unless one of our UDFA (I am rooting for Cierre Wood) lays claim, I'm think we hold on to Tate. Despite his injuries, he has proven what he can do when on the field + he is cheap. IMO, we need to take some work load off Foster.
Old 05-14-2013   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read