Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2013   #101
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........
That makes me worry.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #102
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........
Is this something that really should be a concern in May? Seems like this would be pretty natural at the start of any season. Especially considering there is a limited amount of guys out there to share reps with.

Last edited by Texn4life; 05-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #103
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Day 2 Rookie Mini-Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's in trouble if he's having to adjust to the speed of rookie camp.
How so? It's a NFL rookie camp, it's still the next level and these players were drafted to the next level, because teams thought they belonged there. It's not like players gain speed after the age of 21 or 22 ??? Rookie camp or not, the guy is still now facing NFL speed. The speed of the next talent level is one of the biggest differences to every single rookie coming in, we hear it every year, so I don't think he's in trouble.. he's just going through the steps of every other rook that came into the league.

Instead of being the big man on campus or the best athlete on the team or the shark in the aquarium of guppies on Saturdays.. They're now all on a level playing field and are just another shark in the shark tank. They no longer can just over power sub par players by athletic ability alone.. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #104
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Somebody from New England like maybe the Connecticut Draft picks, but these guys from the Carolinas where they know what heat & humidity are shouldn't be cramping ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #105
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That makes me worry.
I'm thinking that they worked real hard for the combine and pro days and then took a bit of a breather once drafted . This whole exercise is just a wake up call as to what's expected .
Old 05-12-2013   #106
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 2h
Can anybody make a note to see if Steinkuhler sees any action on the O-line?

He played both ways in HS.
When he was recruited by Nebraska, he was actually rated the number 2 OT in his class (nationally) by Rivals.com

I mentioned in another post that he does have 34" arm.
Old 05-12-2013   #107
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 59496 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
the Texans have already given someone Cody's number #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yeah, it was mentioned in the thread that has all the numbers for the rookies.

Chris Jones the 6th round pick from Bowling Green

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #108
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Happens every single year.

They aren't used to the pace of camp. Or how to stay hydrated enough and still perform.

Typically, this gets better. With minicamp, this is sort of like practice to practice for rookies. To get them more used to the pace, the heat, what expectations there are for picking up dropped balls, running out plays etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Brandon Brooks had the biggest problems last year, but part of that was coming into camp not knowing he wasn't going to a road grader team but rather a team that wanted him lighter. I heard he was in great condition.
Old 05-12-2013   #109
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I heard he was in great condition.
You mean as opposed to last year, he's in great condition now to begin the OTAs in a few days, right ? We've seen reports that he's down in the 320-25 range right now ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #110
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They aren't used to the pace of camp. Or how to stay hydrated enough and still perform.

Typically, this gets better. With minicamp, this is sort of like practice to practice for rookies. To get them more used to the pace, the heat, what expectations there are for picking up dropped balls, running out plays etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Brandon Brooks had the biggest problems last year, but part of that was coming into camp not knowing he wasn't going to a road grader team but rather a team that wanted him lighter. I heard he was in great condition.
I read that he was ripped (relative to last year) coming into this year's camp. I thought it was you that said so; guess not. You wouldn't have a photo of him would you...?

Edit:
I meant to ask, who is doing KR/PR duties? ...or are they even practicing special teams stuff during rookie camp?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #111
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'm thinking that they worked real hard for the combine and pro days and then took a bit of a breather once drafted . This whole exercise is just a wake up call as to what's expected .
This.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #112
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Won't be here to copy and paste AM Practices, I will be at a Mother's Day cookout!

Can link the tweets later.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #113
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Won't be here to copy and paste AM Practices, I will be at a Mother's Day cookout!

Have a great time!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #114
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post

Chris Jones the 6th round pick from Bowling Green
Looks like his mid-section is a little firmer.
But then again, it's a front view shot.
TC, can you confirm this one way or the other!
Old 05-12-2013   #115
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I'm not overly concerned. But last year we were having discussions of this same subject mostly regarding hydration questions. Evidently, this year we're seeing problems mostly related to conditioning. I might point out that in past years rookie mini-camp have all begun in mid June where the actual temperatures (not even accounting for heat index) were consistently well into the 90's. This year, mini-camp started the beginning of May where the temps have remained between mid 70's to very low 80's. When it's hot and humid maintaining hydration can definitely become a problem. But conditioning becomes that much more an important factor in overcoming the heat's effect on performance endurance. Again, not overly concerned, but this must go squarely on status of player conditioning. Fortunately it is early and good habits and level of commitment to such should be able to be re-molded.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #116
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quotes from last practice of rookie mini camp:

Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli):
Kubiak said all the running backs in this camp impressed him. Decisions on who makes the team will depend a lot on special teams. #Texans

PDS (@PatDStat):
Alan Bonner improved over the three days. Went deep past a defender and caught a pretty ball down the sideline from Klein.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #117
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield):
Gary Kubiak on DeAndre Hopkins: "He's special. Ball skills are extremely special. He's gonna help us early." #Texans
Old 05-12-2013   #118
MistaRed
Veteran

PDS (@PatDStat):
DeAndre Hopkins had the catch of the day on a deep ball from Keenum down the sideline. Sliding one handed catch with a DB on him. #Texans
Old 05-12-2013   #119
MistaRed
Veteran

Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield):
Kubiak said he's about to have a "long talk" with QB Collin Klein. Impressed with how far he came in 2.5 days #Texans
Old 05-12-2013   #120
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

Oh ... copy and paste the food , I love a good cookout .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read