Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2013   #81
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 68219 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie mini-camp

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...ns-rookie-camp

video

Quote:

The Texans launched their three-day rookie camp Friday and from an early look here is what jumps out after the first two workouts from Day 1.

DeAndre Hopkins is as good as advertised. He caught everything that was anywhere near him and a few that weren't. He showed he has great hands and can also go deep. He's competitive and thinks anytime the ball is in the air it's his. Hopkins final catch of day one was most likely his best. A one-handed grab with a defender draped all over him up against the sideline. Hopkins came down with the catch and both feet looked to be in bounds.

“He did really good," Gary Kubiak said. "As a matter of fact, his last play he made a hell of a catch. He’s doing fine."

Hopkins left the evening session early after tightening up with cramps in his lower leg.

"It’s just that adrenaline and the newness of coming out here and flying around gets some guys pretty tired pretty quick," Kubiak added. "I think they’ll be fine tomorrow.”

D.J. Swearinger is ready to play in the NFL today. He's confident, poised, comfortable anywhere on the field and has a great football I.Q. Swearinger was directing other players where to be in formations and above all was the exciting showman he was the last four years at South Carolina. After breaking up a pass during a routine drill, Swearinger threw his arms repeatedly back and forth across the front of his body as to signal incomplete as he danced back to the sideline. He was everywhere the ball was.

Alan Bonner is put together. Bonner is listed at 5-10, 193 pounds. He looked bigger than that and stronger. he had a strong first day and already being a favorite of Gary Kubiak won't hurt him either.

"Obviously he’s not as big, he’s 5-10, 195 pounds," Kubiak said immediately following the draft. "He can really run, comes out of a break excellent, big time ball skills, he can return. There will be every chance to help this football team.”

At least one of these undrafted running backs are going to make the team. Dennis Johnson out of Arkansas, George Winn from Cincinnati, Ray Graham from Pittsburgh and Cierre Wood out of Notre Dame are all in attendance. Wood looked to be the front runner coming out of the gate after Friday and looked to show a really good burst.

“Well, I know one thing; if I was a running back in this environment, I’d be pretty excited because we’ve got two on our team," Kubiak said after the early session. "So somebody’s going to have to step up. Obviously, we’ve got some good kids back there working. What an opportunity for a free agent to be a part of this team.”

Orhian Johnson out of Ohio State is a monster at safety. Johnson, 6-3, 215 pounds, wasn't invited to the combine, but crushed his pro day. Johnson ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, had a 38 1/2 inch vertical and jumped 10-10. he's athletic and big, He did have a huge drop on a potential interception late in session two.

We saw two Collin Kleins show up. In the morning Klein was inaccurate and at times erratic. After working out with Jake Plummer to improve his throwing motion, Klein was more than shaky during the indoor workout in the morning. When the sun came out in the afternoon, so did Klein. He threw the ball much better later in the day and showed much more comfort. Kubiak has talked with Plummer about the improvements of Klein's motion and the next few days will be a big audition for him.

Sam Montgomery didn't look outstanding. Montgomery injured his back during the morning session and was forced to sit most of the second half of the workout. He did return to the field for the evening workouts. He appeared slow and not very fluid. That could have been in part because of his back. It will be interesting to see what he can do the rest of the week to turn some heads and how quickly he recovers.
Hope Montgomery get's in turned around.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #82
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Rep Power: 68219 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yeah, it was mentioned in the thread that has all the numbers for the rookies.
I saw it. NT Chris Jones.

The Highwaymen
Old 05-11-2013   #83
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Been at camp. Can't overread any of this stuff.

Will say that the only definitive thing is that Hopkins looks like the real deal. First WR at camp not named Andre Johnson where you get that whoa feeling when you watch him.

There was a time yesterday where he was way overthrown. Didn't catch the ball but the amount of separation he got on the defender while the ball was in the air was ooooooo. Extra gear oooo.

The hands are everything advertised.

I was underwhelmed with all the baby WRs in last year's camp. Very inconsistent. Hopkins is hard to ignore.

As for all the tweets about this that and the other players, I think way too early for most of those assessments. For example, I'm not all wow Case as some. Or whoa this or that defensive player though Swearinger has shown some things. The running backs are all very intriguing. That is going to be the battle royale.
Old 05-11-2013   #84
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Quote:
#texans OL Brennan Williams says he tweaked his knee, had an MRI no surgery needed. Said wont like workout 2morrow. Not same knee as at UNC
@JPalmerCSN

The Highwaymen
Old 05-11-2013   #85
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

One big post from me today.

PM Practice

NAMASTE!!!!

Quote:
Brennan Williams left the morning practice after tweaking his knee. He said he had an MRI and is ok but won't likely participate tomorrow.
Quote:
Had a chance to talk to Chris Jones. He said he signing his name to a contract guaranteed him nothing. Wants to improve.
Quote:
Jones also talked about how he wants to represent Bowling Green and show that they can produce NfL players.
Quote:
Jones when asked about Bowling Green talked about how special the place is to him.
Quote:
Sam Montgomery looked better than expected in coverage. Showed some skills in that department.
Sounds like if he can pick up the strong side OLB and play effectively that Brooks Reed can move inside.

Quote:
Linebacker Evan Frierson looked much improved. Has good range from the inside in coverage.
Quote:
Lo Johnson impressed with his new position at defensive end. Very athletic at 290 lbs. for the interior of the line.
Played OLB last preseason and had 2.5 sacks. Will look forward to seeing this guy play at DE in a 3-4. Could be a good rotational player for us.

Quote:
#Texans have to be at 90 man roster by the end of Sunday. With current roster draft picks and UDFAs they will be at 89.
I wonder who will get that last spot? Could it be Collin Klein? Javicz Jones?

Quote:
Can't say enough about Hopkins and Swearinger. First in every drill and I have not seen them take one moment of rest.
Quote:
Terrence Wheatley picked off a Collin Klein pass and returned it for at least 30 yards. Until Hopkins ran him down to bump him out of bounds
Quote:
Also this is minor, but rookie tryout guy Marlon Brown went home after yesterday's practices. #Texans replaced him with a lineman.
Was looking forward to Marlon Brown, I guess he's no longer a Texan.

I think that's it for the day, no real tweeting it seems.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #86
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 2h
Quote:
Among #Texans tryout players: P Ben Turk (ND), Matt Turk's nephew; NT Baker Steinkuhler (Nebraska), son of Oilers OL Dean
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Quote:
#Texans have to be at 90 man roster by the end of Sunday. With current roster draft picks and UDFAs they will be at 89.
Has the Texans ever been this close to the limit? I don't ever remember bringing in so many rookies, meaning we lost a lot of vets if bringing in 29 or so rookies still leaves us one shy of the 90 man roster.
Old 05-11-2013   #88
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Has the Texans ever been this close to the limit? I don't ever remember bringing in so many rookies, meaning we lost a lot of vets if bringing in 29 or so rookies still leaves us one shy of the 90 man roster.
Not sure, to be honest.
Old 05-11-2013   #89
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One big post from me today.

PM Practice

NAMASTE!!!!

Sounds like if he can pick up the strong side OLB and play effectively that Brooks Reed can move inside.

Played OLB last preseason and had 2.5 sacks. Will look forward to seeing this guy play at DE in a 3-4. Could be a good rotational player for us.

I wonder who will get that last spot? Could it be Collin Klein? Javicz Jones?

I think that's it for the day, no real tweeting it seems.
Thanks for all the updates! Repped. Can't wait for camp and preseason.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #90
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The story behind the Nuk picture is fun.

Told him I take an avatar picture every day of camp, and that guys do whatever pose they want. Told him some of the other poses that guys did last year.

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way.

Very personable guy. And boy howdy, it is fun watching him play. I'm ready to wrap him in the bubble wrap.
Old 05-11-2013   #91
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Here's Swearinger's pose from yesterday:

Old 05-11-2013   #92
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Old 05-11-2013   #93
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Told him I take an avatar picture every day of camp, and that guys do whatever pose they want. Told him some of the other poses that guys did last year.

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way...
Nice pics, Steph.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #94
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way.

Very personable guy. And boy howdy, it is fun watching him play. I'm ready to wrap him in the bubble wrap.
That's awesome! By the way, earlier in the thread i've let everyone know that the tweets/pics were from you, Patrick Starr, Nick, Marc V., and Tania Ganguli.

Not trying to take credit for any of this!

Appreciate all the info you tweet out!
Old 05-11-2013   #95
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
That's awesome! By the way, earlier in the thread i've let everyone know that the tweets/pics were from you, Patrick Starr, Nick, Marc V., and Tania Ganguli.

Not trying to take credit for any of this!

Appreciate all the info you tweet out!
I'm just glad to have the opportunity to pass it on and that you shared it. The avatar picture thing is sort of a goofy fun thing I started doing last year because people look for avatar pics.

And everybody takes things so serious, but really most of it is doing work, no real news. So why not get fun pictures for fans?
Old 05-11-2013   #96
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Me too. Dude was injured this year, but before the injury I thought he showed a lot of talent.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #97
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope the situation of Montgomery's back doesn't have anything to do with this car accident this last February.

http://www.texas-wrongful-death-lawy...r-accident.htm
76, I believe this was another Samuel Montgomery. In fact, he is actually Samuel Montgomery Larson..........19 years old.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/Upd...z/-/index.html
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
76, I believe this was another Samuel Montgomery. In fact, he is actually Samuel Montgomery Larson..........19 years old.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/Upd...z/-/index.html
LOL, I feel like a fool.
Thanks, Doc!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #99
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........
Old 05-11-2013   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL, I feel like a fool.
Thanks, Doc!
Wouldn't worry about it. As you know, I've had my share of brain farts on here!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read