Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2013   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226329 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we should probably talk about how KDub "failed" us. Maybe that will help us develop our expectations for Hopkins.

"Walter didn't draw any attention away from Andre." Or something similar is often said about KevinWalter, the real question is why not? & will Hopkins be able to provide that?

Kevin Walter was on the field for a reason & it wasn't his blocking ability. He was better at something than our other options were, what was it? & will DeAndre be able to provide that as well as that thing we were missing?
Well, look at KW's decreasing numbers. This is why I think he became expendable.

At his best, he was getting 800+ yards per season in 2007 and 2008. Then he dropped down to about 500 yards per season in 2011 and 2012. That's just not getting it done.

What KW brought us was a guy who blocked well, ran the right routes, and then caught the ball when it was thrown to him. Back in his prime, he made some great catches. If the ball was close, he caught it.

Since then? Not so much. He was still OK but not as clutch as he had been.

I expect Hopkins to be that same sort of player. I expect him to run precise routes, be where he's supposed to be, and catch the ball. He might not be as good a blocker at first, but I expect him to develop into a good blocker. But more importantly, I expect him to get better separation on his routes that KW.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm happy we drafted Hopkins. I would be a little happier if we accumulate picks for next year. Either way, I'm happy.
I totally get wanting to load in that 2014 draft class.

But this team is in the AJ playoff window. We needed to strike now.

Quote:
I apologize if I may sound like a snob to anybody.
No worries.

I think 35-40 receptions is doable.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #63
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to say Hopkins gets 60 catches, 830 yards, and 7 tds. I just hope Schaub, Dre, and Daniels can stay healthy all season.
Old 05-11-2013   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Rookie #2 WR, rookie QB, expansion team, offense which could charitably be called asthmatic, 121 less completions than last year's Texans - 41 rec. 483 yds.

WR's taken in the bottom half of the 1st round of the last 5 drafts averaged: 44.6 receptions, 597.25 yds.

Last edited by infantrycak; 05-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #65
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Rookie #2 WR, rookie QB, expansion team, offense which could charitably be called asthmatic, 121 less completions than last year's Texans - 41 rec. 483 yds.
Well he is wearing 10 also
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #66
Tearstain
Rookie

Section: I wish :(
Rep Power: 3093 Tearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

I think we will use him more in the red zone or third down situations.

Not expecting lots of yards or receptions.
Will stick my neck out and go for double digits for touch downs

25 receptions for 200 yrds and 10 Tds.

Like i said his big hands and fightimg for the ball. Short yards pass plays.

There again what do i know.
Tearstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #67
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WR's taken in the bottom half of the 1st round of the last 5 drafts averaged: 44.6 receptions, 597.25 yds.
Those look like reasonable numbers. I'm expecting a very good year from Hopkins and I think he'll deliver.

I don't expect to see Posey next season. I wouldn't be shocked if he's not on the team in 2014. That's a very serious injury he's trying to recover from.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Is there any way to seperate the figures?

Some spread teams distribute the ball to their receivers more;
Some may not have a FB, some don't have two productive TEs.
Some team don't figure their RB in the passing game as much as the Texans.

Then, we also have to account for teams that don't have a lethal weapon like AJ.

Were there any down time for the major weapons?

Those are some of the things I can think of at the moment.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Those look like reasonable numbers. I'm expecting a very good year from Hopkins and I think he'll deliver.

I don't expect to see Posey next season. I wouldn't be shocked if he's not on the team in 2014. That's a very serious injury he's trying to recover from.
The Texans may very well sign a veteran to take the place of Posey.
It's not like his production is difficult to replace.
Old 05-11-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think we should probably talk about how KDub "failed" us. Maybe that will help us develop our expectations for Hopkins.

"Walter didn't draw any attention away from Andre." Or something similar is often said about KevinWalter, the real question is why not? & will Hopkins be able to provide that?

Kevin Walter was on the field for a reason & it wasn't his blocking ability. He was better at something than our other options were, what was it? & will DeAndre be able to provide that as well as that thing we were missing?
I think I will just stay away from comparing the two of them...
after this observation for the last time.

Hopkins was a Jr last year, so the long-term outlook for him is good.

But strictly speaking about what them two did on the field last year, I will be more than happy if Hopkins (in his rookie year) can do what Walter did last year in the passing game (forget the blocking).

Hopkins has the youth, Walter has the experience.
At the moment, I don't expect Hopkins youth to be able to overtake Walter's experience.

If Hopkins had accumulated his production against better competition, it would have provided us with more information.
But that wasn't the case, and therefore, questions remain.
Hopefully, we'll get a clearer picture in PS.
Old 05-11-2013   #71
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 21m
Quote:
Wade Phillips on DeAndre Hopkins: "The guy catches everything. Hes made some great catches in practice." #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 21m
This is a part of his game I like to see improve from last year.

Straight drops as well as unable to hold on to the ball after getting hit.
Or he needs to get a little better separation so that the hit comes a hair later.

These are the things that he can improve on.
When he's able to do all that, he'll be a nice player; a number one receiver.
Old 05-11-2013   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there any way to seperate the figures?

Some spread teams distribute the ball to their receivers more;
Some may not have a FB, some don't have two productive TEs.
Some team don't figure their RB in the passing game as much as the Texans.

Then, we also have to account for teams that don't have a lethal weapon like AJ.

Were there any down time for the major weapons?

Those are some of the things I can think of at the moment.
Some of them had stars on their helmets.

Some had eagles.

Some had thumbtacks.

All of which is equally irrelevant to your attempt to distract.

But hey if you want to play lets convolute the average I can go back and do it with lower half 1st round receivers who went to teams with 4000+ yd QB's. Well there were only two of those and they had 60 rec. for 790 yds and 47 rec. for 790 yds and 6 TD's apiece (both with WCO teams).

Or how about this one, the two who fell below your predictions for Hopkins - none of the five QB's who were throwing to them are with their teams any longer nor are they starting QB's.

Now let's take a guess, what affects a WR's performance more, the QB or whether or not the FB scratches his butt with his left or right hand regardless of whether he is on the field.

Last edited by infantrycak; 05-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #74
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70794 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is going to want Andre Johnson to get about 110 receptions if he plays for 16 games.

TDs for all Texans receivers will be artificially low because Arian Foster will tend to vulture most of the close in attempts. Dennison is a big believer in the offensive line imposing its will with the run game close in. They'd rather Arian Foster pick his way through traffic, and almost walk in the endzone.

So, with that as a preface, and knowing that Foster and OD and others may get some targets too, here is a thought:

I like going to camp myself because I don't trust many camp reports. I think sometimes guys get over hyped or over dogged based on something flashy that went on, or maybe something struck one guy watching camp, and it got reported, and then it becomes sort of a group think thing.

I don't like to say definitive things unless it is almost a no-brainer, this is a non-disputable opinion. And rookie minicamp is soooo early with not real competition.

That being said, all the way too early camp reports on Hopkins looking really good are spot on, indisputable.

The last time a WR stood out so much at camp was Trindon Holliday's first season where it was so obvious that he was terrible and didn't know what he was doing as a WR.

Hopkins stands out the opposite way. He looks so much better than everybody out there on both sides of the ball. Look very effortless the way he catches. Nice afterburners on overthrown balls. You can see him contest and win contestable balls. (In a way that makes you nervous because you don't want anyone hurt).

Kubiak rarely is enthusiastic with young wide receivers. Both he and Dennison are enthusiastic about Hopkins. You can also see them giving him extra time. They want him to be a bad ass because they know he's right up the alley of what they like in a wide receiver.

So, in sum, I'm not buying all the hype on some of the other players mentioned. You can see some good and not so good and learning. But Hopkins just looks like he is already doing full grown man stuff, looks so much better than any of the WR draft picks from last year.

So yeah, I was not a huge WE MUST GET DEANDRE HOPKINS fan when the draft was going on. Just more wait and see and whatever. And I'm not someone that typically thinks most rookies are going to be immediate impact guys. But boy howdy, I really can't wait to see him line up with Andre.

In other words, this wasn't a brussels sprout no fun, necessary evil draft pick. This dude could be big fun to watch and fast. No idea with the numbers, but just a perfect fit for this offense.
Old 05-11-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm just trying to temper expectations. Don't want TT.com to start calling him a bust with 30 catches & 6 TDs in his rookie season.
Old 05-11-2013   #76
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Kubiak is going to want Andre Johnson to get about 110 receptions if he plays for 16 games.

TDs for all Texans receivers will be artificially low because Arian Foster will tend to vulture most of the close in attempts. Dennison is a big believer in the offensive line imposing its will with the run game close in. They'd rather Arian Foster pick his way through traffic, and almost walk in the endzone.

So, with that as a preface, and knowing that Foster and OD and others may get some targets too, here is a thought:

I like going to camp myself because I don't trust many camp reports. I think sometimes guys get over hyped or over dogged based on something flashy that went on, or maybe something struck one guy watching camp, and it got reported, and then it becomes sort of a group think thing.

I don't like to say definitive things unless it is almost a no-brainer, this is a non-disputable opinion. And rookie minicamp is soooo early with not real competition.

That being said, all the way too early camp reports on Hopkins looking really good are spot on, indisputable.

The last time a WR stood out so much at camp was Trindon Holliday's first season where it was so obvious that he was terrible and didn't know what he was doing as a WR.

Hopkins stands out the opposite way. He looks so much better than everybody out there on both sides of the ball. Look very effortless the way he catches. Nice afterburners on overthrown balls. You can see him contest and win contestable balls. (In a way that makes you nervous because you don't want anyone hurt).

Kubiak rarely is enthusiastic with young wide receivers. Both he and Dennison are enthusiastic about Hopkins. You can also see them giving him extra time. They want him to be a bad ass because they know he's right up the alley of what they like in a wide receiver.

So, in sum, I'm not buying all the hype on some of the other players mentioned. You can see some good and not so good and learning. But Hopkins just looks like he is already doing full grown man stuff, looks so much better than any of the WR draft picks from last year.

So yeah, I was not a huge WE MUST GET DEANDRE HOPKINS fan when the draft was going on. Just more wait and see and whatever. And I'm not someone that typically thinks most rookies are going to be immediate impact guys. But boy howdy, I really can't wait to see him line up with Andre.

In other words, this wasn't a brussels sprout no fun, necessary evil draft pick. This dude could be big fun to watch and fast. No idea with the numbers, but just a perfect fit for this offense.
How does Bonner look in comparison to how Posey and Martin looked in last yrs mini-camp?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm just trying to temper expectations. Don't want TT.com to start calling him a bust with 30 catches & 6 TDs in his rookie season.
There's no telling about the reaction; but hopefully, the more we lay out all the info, people will have more to go by before coming to a conclusion that might be a bit early in expectation.

TC, always appreciate your eyes, ears, and mind.

Icak; we can do better. We can look at each individual case.
Five years is not much, especially when there were no receiver drafted in the first round in 2008.

I'm not sure when I have some time, but I did the preliminary check already.
If you like, you can go first. You can start with 09 or 2012, either way.
Old 05-11-2013   #78
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care if he can catch everything...how's his blocking?
Old 05-11-2013   #79
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Icak; we can do better. We can look at each individual case.
No we can't because I don't care about your individual analysis on how WR X had three OLmen whose names contained the letter Q.

Quote:
Five years is not much, especially when there were no receiver drafted in the first round in 2008.
Funny when the standard refrain is the league is rapidly becoming more pass happy so the last five years should be most reflective of what to expect.

Quote:
I'm not sure when I have some time, but I did the preliminary check already.
If you like, you can go first. You can start with 09 or 2012, either way.
Naw, we're good. You need the time to watch film on each of our 27 UDFA's plus our draft picks for the fourth time. Don't let me distract from that.
Old 05-11-2013   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I don't care if he can catch everything...how's his blocking?
Sorry. No serious contact allowed yet
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read