Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What you made clear is you latch on to absurd arguments. Posey wasn't targeted a single time in the 1st playoff game and was 3 of 5 in the 2nd. One game isn't an argument for a projection.

But let's roll with your ridiculous 3.5 plus the playoffs argument, in 8 games "if he plays to last year" that projects to 13 receptions on 28 targets.
That still adds to the number, doesn't it?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That still adds to the number, doesn't it?
Chase your own tail. I'm not going to do it for you.
Old 05-11-2013   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans started last season with 6 receivers on the roster, but neither Posey nor Holliday saw any action on offense early on.

I think we should expect the Texans to sign a vet; and if Bonner doesn't make the roster, maybe two.

Those three (vet+Jean+vet) should see more snaps than the 3 last year as I don't think the Texans would give all of Walter's snaps at the onset.

Or KMart could see more snaps if Bonner takes over one part of return duties.
Old 05-11-2013   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Chase your own tail. I'm not going to do it for you.
I never asked you to.
Old 05-11-2013   #45
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
First, a roster spot on the initial 53 would be taken by Posey. Leaving someone available on waivers. Second, Posey is a young player and would not be able to practice with the team until after the 6th week of the season. He won't be ready to contribute. Finally, I don't see the Texans taking the risk until Posey goes through another offseason where he can get completely healthy. If this were a seasoned vet, it would be different. No advantage in bringing Posey back earlier than 2014.
I believe you're thinking of the new (in 2012) rule where you can recall one player a year from IR assuming he's on the original 53 man roster, and that's different than PUP. I agree that he's absolutely not a candidate for that.

Posey would not take up a spot on the "original" 53 man roster if he were placed on reserve PUP (which is still in place and unaffected by the new IR rule). In order to be placed on the reserve PUP (out for a minimum of 6 regular season games), Posey would simply need to be placed on the active PUP prior to practicing in training camp (a no brainer), and then moved to the reserve PUP sometime prior to the season starting. I believe he would count against the preseason roster limit (90 thru the third preseason game, and 75 after that), but he would go from the active to reserve PUP without ever having to be on the 53 man roster. After 6 weeks of the regular season, he could then take up to three weeks to practice before either being placed on the 53 man roster (with a corresponding release of course) or placed on season ending IR.

If there's even the slightest chance of Posey making a mid-season comeback in 2013, PUP is the way to go with him.
Old 05-11-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Ok, so I projected low 30s for Hopkins to TPN's projection of 35...

JulioJones & TorreySmith were rookies in 2011. RoddyWhite is "comparable" to AndreJohnson, AnquanBoldin is a solid starter. Prior to Dec2012 many thought MattSchaub was comparable to JoeFlacco & MattRyan (he's only 4 years older)

What is most interesting is how Torrey & Julio's numbers compare to their #1 WRs & how KDub's numbers compare to his TEs. This is not a knock on KDub, just an observation. He would be an awesome weapon as a TE. His blocking is great for a WR, but 'meh as a TE..... so what, ODs blocking is 'meh as a TE.
Old 05-11-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyhow, I don't know if these numbers prove what I believe is true, but Matt spreads the ball around very well, this offense is designed to give him several options. He will scan the defense pre-snap, superimpose his routes on what he believes they are trying to do & with that information, he determines where his first read will be, then his second, third, & so on.

There is also a level of trust with his receivers, he knows what they can & can't do. Triple coverage, depending on specifics, doesn't necessarily ward him away from Andre Johnson. Shuffling new WRs into the line-up every 3 or 4 games probably didn't help him in December when every other team was playing their best ball.

I expect Schaub to have additional confidence in Keyshawn who will most likely be the slot WR, he's just got to catch the ball (he got open early & often last season), & LeStar who is very similar to Hopkins & will be rotating through that WR2 position (like KDub & Jacoby).

JMO, but if Hopkins gets more than 40 catches as a rookie, then he & Schaub clicked a lot earlier than I thought they would, or Hopkins is a lot better than anyone thought he would be.
Old 05-11-2013   #48
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's inconceivable to isolate a couple of things to make an argument.
Were you kidnapped? Someone stole your PC?

Old 05-11-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Anyhow, I don't know if these numbers prove what I believe is true, but Matt spreads the ball around very well, this offense is designed to give him several options. He will scan the defense pre-snap, superimpose his routes on what he believes they are trying to do & with that information, he determines where his first read will be, then his second, third, & so on.

There is also a level of trust with his receivers, he knows what they can & can't do. Triple coverage, depending on specifics, doesn't necessarily ward him away from Andre Johnson. Shuffling new WRs into the line-up every 3 or 4 games probably didn't help him in December when every other team was playing their best ball.

I expect Schaub to have additional confidence in Keyshawn who will most likely be the slot WR, he's just got to catch the ball (he got open early & often last season), & LeStar who is very similar to Hopkins & will be rotating through that WR2 position (like KDub & Jacoby).

JMO, but if Hopkins gets more than 40 catches as a rookie, then he & Schaub clicked a lot earlier than I thought they would, or Hopkins is a lot better than anyone thought he would be.
It's not easy to project a hard number because there are so many variables as I had mentioned in several posts.

If the Texans D play well and the special win their battle (mostly due to Lechler), the Texans may find themselves ahead more often than not.
If that happens, the Texans would run more; the receivers wouldn't have as much opportunities.

If the opposite happens such that the Texans find themselves needing to pass more often, there would be more opportunities for the receivers.

If the run game is effective early, the Texans could have more success in their passing attacks (more yards, but not necessarily more catches.)

If there's an injury to AJ or OD (or if the Texans save them for the playoffs), others could see more opportunities.

And so on.
Old 05-11-2013   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Were you kidnapped? Someone stole your PC?

LOL, I don't understand how you think that I isolate any event.
I set up a slew of premises in several posts.
Old 05-11-2013   #51
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

My expectation is simple. hopkins just needs to establish as #2 and hopefully Kmart will take a step as a slot receiver. I am not to concerned as how many balls Hopkins sees. I'd like to see sone double digit YAC from him when he does get the ball in his hands
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #52
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Hopkins is the #2 at the start of the year it's hard to imagine him not out-producing Walter's production from last year. So 45 catches for 600 yards seems like a reasonable expectation.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It's not easy to project a hard number because there are so many variables as I had mentioned in several posts.
Over 40... less than 30... about 35..... those aren't hard numbers & no one is expecting hard numbers. Just a projection.
Old 05-11-2013   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This statement prompted a question I'd like to pose to the gang here: Suppose Hopkins performs up to and beyond K.W. level (on one of his better years) and at the time of Posey's time to return - say game 6 or 8 or whenever - and has 35-40 catches for 5 or 6 TDs and is making those move the chains catches we expect from the #2. Question is this: What role does Posey play in this scenario? I mean, A.J., O.D., and Foster are gonna be targeted and now Hopkins is sucking up what's left and making the most of them. Where does that leave Posey?
Posey will be relegated to backup duty. Dude has a tough recovery ahead, and a tougher road to become significant in the NFL imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #55
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

700-800~ yards with 5 TDs
Old 05-11-2013   #56
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, so I projected low 30s for Hopkins to TPN's projection of 35, and he thinks I might a little bitter because the Texans drafted him?
LOL!
Reminds me of the old story about the two nurses and expectations. One nurse had wanted to be a doctor and because of a lot of things, flunked out and turned to nursing, instead. Another nurse had always wanted to be a nurse. One was bitter and unhappy because being a nurse was a sign of failure and the other was happy because being a nurse was a fulfillment of a dream.

You didn't like drafting any WR in this class in the 1st round because you don't think any of them are potential #1s and all I'm looking for is a #2 across from Andre. So even though our expectations for Hopkins' production this season are similar, our feelings about that production and the selection of the player can be quite different.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have some seasons coming up where both Andre and Deandre are over 1000 yards. I definitely expect Hopkins to be at least as good as KW was at his best.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Reminds me of the old story about the two nurses and expectations. One nurse had wanted to be a doctor and because of a lot of things, flunked out and turned to nursing, instead. Another nurse had always wanted to be a nurse. One was bitter and unhappy because being a nurse was a sign of failure and the other was happy because being a nurse was a fulfillment of a dream.

You didn't like drafting any WR in this class in the 1st round because you don't think any of them are potential #1s and all I'm looking for is a #2 across from Andre. So even though our expectations for Hopkins' production this season are similar, our feelings about that production and the selection of the player can be quite different.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have some seasons coming up where both Andre and Deandre are over 1000 yards. I definitely expect Hopkins to be at least as good as KW was at his best.
I'm happy we drafted Hopkins.
I would be a little happier if we accumulate picks for next year.
Either way, I'm happy.

And yes, I also expect Hopkins to be better than KW at his best, eventually.
I also said that Hopkins does have a chance to become a number one.
My expectation for him seems to be a tad higher than yours; how could that be?
Old 05-11-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I definitely expect Hopkins to be at least as good as KW was at his best.
I think we should probably talk about how KDub "failed" us. Maybe that will help us develop our expectations for Hopkins.

"Walter didn't draw any attention away from Andre." Or something similar is often said about KevinWalter, the real question is why not? & will Hopkins be able to provide that?

Kevin Walter was on the field for a reason & it wasn't his blocking ability. He was better at something than our other options were, what was it? & will DeAndre be able to provide that as well as that thing we were missing?
Old 05-11-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also, I'd like to thank TK for a healthy PM.
I apologize if I may sound like a snob to anybody.
Old 05-11-2013   #60
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we should probably talk about how KDub "failed" us. Maybe that will help us develop our expectations for Hopkins.

"Walter didn't draw any attention away from Andre." Or something similar is often said about KevinWalter, the real question is why not? & will Hopkins be able to provide that?

Kevin Walter was on the field for a reason & it wasn't his blocking ability. He was better at something than our other options were, what was it? & will DeAndre be able to provide that as well as that thing we were missing?
Getting open and making key catches.however his YAC was pedestrian. Maybe the ability to run ins and outs or comeback routes. I don't know.

However (as a general statement and not knocking anyone's view) IMO Walter, for a 7th rounder by cincy,he did more for us than any of the receivers drafted that wasn't named " Johnson".once we got him

That isn't saying much is it lol
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read