Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2013   #121
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans UDFA Signings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There's your surprise UDFA signing, LOL!
Bam!

Superbowl!!!

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #122
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
The Texans’ nine draft picks, including first-round wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, will participate in the mini-camp. So will their undrafted rookie free agents and an undisclosed group of tryout players invited by the team.

Anybody knows who these players are ? Do we ever get to find out ? and does this happen every year? Don't remember from past history.
I think I heard kubiak say that he hasn't done many rookie mini camps in the past because they fly out stay for a couple days and then have to fly back hone. I think he said that this year will be different because it will work out so that it leads right into ota's or something like that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think I heard kubiak say that he hasn't done many rookie mini camps in the past because they fly out stay for a couple days and then have to fly back hone. I think he said that this year will be different because it will work out so that it leads right into ota's or something like that.
Right.
But also, the rookie mini camps is different from the annual try out.

The camp is for rookies that we signed plus a few second year players like Keenum.

The try out is for players that no team has signed yet.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
76, could you look through some of Florida's games focusing on Okine? I have a note (just one- "would make a nice developmental 3-4 DE... tools are there, but needs coaching"), but I would like to get your read on him.

Not just 76, actually. If anybody has film/notes, let me know what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAjVhrkxHE

Earl Okine, the DE from Florida, looks like he comes off blocks well to get the running back. I could see him making the team this year as one of the last guys, at least the practice squad I think.
Well, I've been watching a good amount of Gators tapes and it bothers me that Okine didn't see the field often. He was in a rotation with 4 other guys (not to mention an occasional play here and there by a couple of others at the same position.)

One of the four guys is fellow senior Lerentee McCray who was given mid-round status by NFL.com and 5th round by both CBS Sports and NFL Draft Scout (but he ended up as an UDFA for the Broncos - I guess the share playing time hurts his stock as well as his injury history.)

What bothers me is that the other 3 guys were underclassmen (2 of them were Freshmen.) It was discouraging to find that out until I learned that both of them were chosen to the All-Freshman SEC team. I also learned that all those 3 guys were 5-star recruits.

Now that it makes more sense, I can get back to Okine's game.
He didn't play much, averaging may be a dozen snaps a game at most.
His production per snap isn't bad at all, but he still looked kinda raw.

Due to his length, he reminds me a little of Mario Williams.
The comparison probably should end there, LOL!
It seems to me that Okine hasn't learn how to use his long arms to his advantage.
Quite often, he failed to disengage from the blockers and got held up as the runner went past him.
In the pass rush, he mainly bull rushed his man towards the QB, but then didn't know what else to do... On occasions, he just couldn't shred the blocker off of him; the highlights notwithstanding.
But when he did get low to come off the stance, he showed the strength that leverage can bring to augment his power.

I guess it boils down to consistency.
Had he shown the consistency, he would have played more (and therefore boosting his draft stock.)
If a guy demonstrates that he can do certain thing, certainly he can be coached up to do it again with more consistency, right?!?

Oh, and by the way, I did see him on a couple of occasions in standing up position and he looked comfortable with the knee bend and the get off.

I really like to see him at TC.
The guy does possess the measurables and the tools; I keep wondering what is it that stopped him from being more consistent.
Old 05-10-2013   #125
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the official list from HT.com. Klein is only here on a tryout basis

Quote:
Quarterback Collin Klein, widely reported to be among their UDFA signings, was not signed but is with the Texans this weekend on a tryout basis.
Quote:
Offense
RB Ray Graham (Pittsburgh)
RB Dennis Johnson (Arkansas)
RB George Winn (Cincinnati)
RB Cierre Wood (Notre Dame)
FB Zach Boren (Ohio State)
WR Andy Cruse (Miami (Ohio))
WR Alec Lemon (Syracuse)
WR Ozoma Nwachukwu (Texas A&M)
WR Mike Smith (Connecticut)
T Dann O’Neill (Western Michigan)
G Alex Kupper (Louisville)
G Bryan Collins (SMU)

Defense
DE Earl Okine (Florida)
OLB Willie Jefferson (Stephen F. Austin)
OLB Justin Tuggle (Kansas State)
ILB Ja’Gared Davis (SMU)
ILB Evan Frierson (Illinois State)
CB Johnny Adams (Michigan State)
CB A.J. Bouye (Central Florida)
CB Travis Howard (Ohio State)
S Orhian Johnson (Ohio State)
S Jawanza Starling (USC)

Special Teams
P Andrew Shapiro (Fresno State)
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-54ebc741b5bd
Old 05-10-2013   #126
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are the players here on a tryout basis, including 6 veterans

Quote:
Veteran Tryouts (6) (NFL experience in parentheses)
Tyler Horn, C, Miami (Fla.) (1)
Deji Karim, RB, Southern Illinois (4)
Jon Opperud, T, Montana (1)
Roy Lewis, SS, Washington (4)
Robert Rose, DT, Ohio State (1)
Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado (4)
Rookie Tryouts (11)
Jackson Anderson, LS, Duke
Marlon Brown, WR, Georgia
Adrian Campbell, T, Tarleton State
Javicz Jones, ILB, Mary-Hardin Baylor
Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State
Barrett Matthews, FB, Texas
Torlan Pittman, NT, SMU
Graham Pocic, C, Illinois
Adam Schiitz, TE, Emporia State (Kan.)
Baker Steinkuhler, NT, Nebraska
Ben Turk, P, Notre Dame
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-e8096d26764f
Old 05-10-2013   #127
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Baker Steinkuhler a relative to Dean? Also, no punters with the last name "Turk" please and thank you.
Old 05-10-2013   #128
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Is Baker Steinkuhler a relative to Dean? Also, no punters with the last name "Turk" please and thank you.
He's Dean's son.
The Huskers didn't do him a favor moving him to defense.
I wonder if our coaches are looking to see what he can do on the O-line.
The guy does have 34" arms.
Old 05-10-2013   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Here are the players here on a tryout basis, including 6 veterans
Quote:
Robert Rose, DT, Ohio State (1)
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-e8096d26764f
Interesting
Rotoworld
Quote:
Dolphins DE Robert Rose was among the players to admit to accepting illegal benefits at Ohio State, leading to Jim Tressel's resignation.
Rose, who attended OSU from 2006-2009, told SI.com that he has no regrets about making and taking money on the side. "I knew how much money that the school was making," Rose said. "I always heard about how Ohio State had the biggest Nike budget. I was struggling, my mom was struggling ... [Other] guys were doing it for the same reasons. The university doesn’t really help. Technically we knew it was wrong, but a lot of those guys are from the inner city and we didn’t have much, and we had to go on the best we could. I couldn’t call home to ask my mom to help me out." Tue, May 31, 2011 09:42:00 AM
Another Badboy from Ohio State.
Old 05-11-2013   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Been watching some of Chris Jones.
I started with 2011.
Paid most attention to the W. Virginia game; not exactly the big boys, but at the same time, he was a Junior.
Nice game!
At the least, Jones showed he can start in the Big 12.
Won a fair-to-good amount of match-ups.
Got himself a sack and a couple of QB pressures - no slouch against a fast-paced Mountaineers offense.
Sustained the double-team admirably (a pleasant surprise).

Good base, but could firm up the mid-section.
Good short-area burst, but surely not exceptional.

Still raw with his arm techniques; no signature move to speak off.
==> Inconsistent.
The flashes are there. When he maintains leverage, the result is totally different; he can be a force (better than the core tests show) - that was a little nice surprise too.
Need to stress on the inconsistencies though; as he was pretty meh in another game.

Can't wait to watch his 2012 tapes to see the progression, if any.
Old 05-15-2013   #131
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I've been watching more UConn tapes.
In the Pittsburgh game, it was mentioned that Ray Graham had an ACL in early November 2011.
That he was able to come back to play at a good level in 2012 seems to indicate that they have made good progress in the medic field. Or is it just another exception?

Also Graham suffered a hamstring right at the end of the year.
I wonder if that prevented him from posting a better time in the forty?
Old 05-25-2013   #132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Per SBNation.com

Well maybe ESPN will give the Texans a little more love now that we got Golic's son!

Edit: Actually maybe the source is no bueno. Golic Jr. reportedly signed with the Steelers...
Of all the 29 that we picked up, how many are still with the team?
Old 05-25-2013   #133
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This link to OURLADS (as of 5/19/13) can answer that question.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #134
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think that 29 number was for players offered to sign and, obviously, not all chose to sign with the Texans, like Golic, who went with the Steelers, and Kenny Demens (LB Michigan) who also signed with another team. I also think Colin Klein was considered part of the 29 but he was never offered a contract and only came to the Rookie Mini Camp on a tryout basis. Of that 29, only 21 UDFA's started OTA's and 2 of them (Dann O'Neill, OT and George Winn, RB) were cut to make room for 2 of the "tryout" guys (Deji Karim, RB, 4yrs NFL exp and Tyler Horn, C, 1 yr NFL exp). So, by my calculations, the Texans are down to 19 UDFA's from 2013 as of 5/25/13. Hope that helps.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read