Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2013   #441
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I said "slipping", not "slipped".

Kiper sometimes gets seriously pissed off when people don't draft the way he expected them to and when certain guys fall.

OTOH, I haven't watched him on draft day in a couple of years so maybe he's gotten better.
Sometimes things are not what they seem to be.
A guy with ten posts is not neccessarily pissed off.
Conversely, a guy with a single post might be pissed off more than he let on.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #442
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe if the Vikings were concerned the Texans would take Patterson, they would have tried to trade ahead of the Texans & the Texans were most likely never looked at as a trade partner, which brings us back to the beginning....

Just because they traded for the 29th pick does not mean they were interested in the 27th pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I think they wanted one or the other.
In respond to TK; it doesn't matter whether the Vikings were concerned about what the Texans may do, the fact remains they traded up to draft Patterson.

Does it matter to them if the trading partner is named Texans or Patriots?

The possibility of a trade is there; whether the Texans wanted to or not is a different matter.
Old 05-08-2013   #443
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
fwiw i read peter kings article about the rams draft, the Texans are mentioned a few times...

apparently we offered to trade up to #22 with the rams for a 4th & 6th rder...but they accepted the falcons trade instead to trade down to #30 (for a 3rd and 7th)

later, the rams offered a 6th to move from #30 (after they had traded down from #22) to #27 which the Texans (obviously) rejected. rick wanted a 4th rder to do that trade
If this is true than the Texans were open to trade down.
That would shoot down the saying about how "you take the guy you identified".
Old 05-08-2013   #444
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229846 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
BTW, Mike Mayock, who may be the most reputable draft analyst out there, did not have Hopkins in the first round. Both CBS Sports and NFL Draft Scout also had him solidly in the second.
Mayock may be the most reputable t.v. draft analyst.

An actual scout like Dan Shonka --Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs -- had DeAndre as the second WR off the board at pick 23. No other WRs in the first round, either.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #445
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

An actual scout like Dan Shonka --Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs -- had DeAndre as the second WR off the board at pick 23. No other WRs in the first round, either.
I read somewhere that Hopkins was the 2nd best WR behind Tavon Austin.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #446
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sometimes things are not what they seem to be.
A guy with ten posts is not neccessarily pissed off.
Conversely, a guy with a single post might be pissed off more than he let on.
Like I said, "slipping" not "slipped".

Kiper gets pissed off. I didn't say you had.

You're just going to unnecessary lengths to convince people you're right. That doesn't mean you're pissed off about it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #447
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 268618 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If this is true than the Texans were open to trade down.
That would shoot down the saying about how "you take the guy you identified".
It doesn't shoot down anything. Only a fool would not pick up the phone and listen for a Ricky Williams offer. In the end they rejected what was offered and took their guy.
Old 05-08-2013   #448
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

There are a lot of ex-scouts out there, and there's no concensus, except that this class is no filled with top end talent, but there's a lot of depth.

When I started the wide receiver threat in the mock draft forum last July, I've already said that much. I also said that the 2013 class should rival the 2012 class in both quantity and quality.
As we went on, I even stated that if the underclassmen that are "expected" to come out early, this class should be even deeper than 2012.

I was correct in that regard as 28 players were drafted as compared to 22 last year.
Old 05-08-2013   #449
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It doesn't shoot down anything. Only a fool would not pick up the phone and listen for a Ricky Williams offer. In the end they rejected what was offered and took their guy.
Thank you.
Old 05-08-2013   #450
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Like I said, "slipping" not "slipped".

Kiper gets pissed off. I didn't say you had.

You're just going to unnecessary lengths to convince people you're right. That doesn't mean you're pissed off about it.
I merely responded to the "inquiries" and "comments".

The screen shots, for example, were in respond to Boyd/Hopkins; helping or hurting each other's cause.

Somebody said Boyd hurts Hopkins; I disagree!
Old 05-08-2013   #451
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I just think with the depth at wr in this draft, I feel like the texans should've really been trying to trade out and attack the 2,3,4 rds of the draft. Patton,Dobson,williams,hunter,and wheaton have equal talent to hopkins. All those guys, except hunter was availiable owith the texans 2nd rd pick. I think they could've come out of the draft with a more explosive wr than hopkins later.
They sat on the clock for quite some time..... how do we know they didn't? Surely you don't want them to give away our first round pick do you?
Old 05-08-2013   #452
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does it matter to them if the trading partner is named Texans or Patriots?
No. You said if they feared the Texans would take Patterson.

If the Vikings think the Texans want Patterson, they won't ask the Texans to trade. They'll ask the team ahead of the Texans who isn't interested in a WR.

That they traded with the Patriots @ 29 does not suggest they were willing to trade up to 27 to get Patterson. More than anything, trading up after the Texans selected Hopkins suggests they wanted one of the two.

I don't know that they graded Patterson higher than Hopkins, or Hopkins higher than Patterson, only that they thought they were so close they were willing to wait until one of the two was gone.
Old 05-08-2013   #453
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
There are a lot of ex-scouts out there, and there's no concensus, except that this class is no filled with top end talent, but there's a lot of depth.

When I started the wide receiver threat in the mock draft forum last July, I've already said that much. I also said that the 2013 class should rival the 2012 class in both quantity and quality.
As we went on, I even stated that if the underclassmen that are "expected" to come out early, this class should be even deeper than 2012.

I was correct in that regard as 28 players were drafted as compared to 22 last year.
You know you can rupture a disc patting yourself on a back that hard.
Old 05-08-2013   #454
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

It didn't hit me how inexperienced our wr corps is until on the radio they mentioned that only one wr has more than 10 career catches.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #455
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No. You said if they feared the Texans would take Patterson.

If the Vikings think the Texans want Patterson, they won't ask the Texans to trade. They'll ask the team ahead of the Texans who isn't interested in a WR.

That they traded with the Patriots @ 29 does not suggest they were willing to trade up to 27 to get Patterson. More than anything, trading up after the Texans selected Hopkins suggests they wanted one of the two.

I don't know that they graded Patterson higher than Hopkins, or Hopkins higher than Patterson, only that they thought they were so close they were willing to wait until one of the two was gone.
You're always good at going circular.

The facts still remain the same no matter how many speculations are out there.

I'd like to have a staff of closers like what the Patriots have.
They certainly were able to close a lot of deals on draft day.
Old 05-08-2013   #456
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It didn't hit me how inexperienced our wr corps is until on the radio they mentioned that only one wr has more than 10 career catches.
I'm afraid that it might come back and bite the Texans in the rear similar to 2010 when they lacked solid veteran presence in the secondary.

I'm crossing my fingers that AJ can stay healthy the whole year.

I hope that Posier's condition improves as much as possible.
It would make me feel better if what Posey texted in February is true, that he doesn't think he will miss any game.
I'd settle for him to be able to come back mid-season in game shape.
But I was warned by the Doc that Posey may never be the same again.

The Texans really need to find a veteran soon.
Old 05-08-2013   #457
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know you can rupture a disc patting yourself on a back that hard.
There's no room for insecurity.

Those who enjoy the draft and college football like us, we watch football all year long.
It's simply what we do.
Old 05-08-2013   #458
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm afraid that it might come back and bite the Texans in the rear similar to 2010 when they lacked solid veteran presence in the secondary.

I'm crossing my fingers that AJ can stay healthy the whole year.

I hope that Posier's condition improves as much as possible.
It would make me feel better if what Posey texted in February is true, that he doesn't think he will miss any game.
I'd settle for him to be able to come back mid-season in game shape.
But I was warned by the Doc that Posey may never be the same again.

The Texans really need to find a veteran soon.
I wouldn't be too worried. The 2010 secondary like you said had no solid veteran presence. On offense it would be AJ, Daniels, Foster, Schaub taking over while not asking Hopkins to do much. Lets hope Hopkins takes advantage of the man to man and demands safety help and double coverage. It will make everyone better.
Old 05-09-2013   #459
Swearinger
Sleeper

Rep Power: 0 Swearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respected

Howdy all. Just wanted to say as a die hard, long time Gamecocks fan living in Columbia SC, i think Houston got the best all around WR in the draft. Time will tell if that's true of course but i really think he is.

He's not a low 4.3 blazer like Austin as some of you already know by studying up on him, but he's fast enough to be a home run threat and make big plays. He does everything quite well and can do it in either the slot or as an outside #2 WR. Something Austin probably won't be able to do in the NFL (other than a returner of course) due to his small frame and small catch radius. Hopkins gives you more options and is more versatile for a wider variety of offensive packages.

My only knock or area where i think Nuk needs and can improve that is vital in Houstons offense is his blocking. I think he needs to be stronger in that area and more aggressive there. Swearinger even got him during the SC/Clemson game last year about Nuks lack of it and told him he's "going to get his RB killed" if he doesn't block better. But that is something that can be coached up and i think Nuk will work his butt off to improve int hat area. He's a coachable kid.

Even though i despise Clemson, i always give credit where credit is due and Hopkins is a heck of player. Great route runner, excellent hands, he'll fight for the ball, and he's excellent after the catch. Things i've witnessed first hand. I think he's just the type of WO the Texans were looking for to help their offense and feel pretty confident he won't let you or the organization down.

Anywho, looking forward to checking out the forum and following Nuk and Swearinger and Montgomery, who i was really hoping he would commit to South Carolina since he's from the area, careers and wish them all nothing but great success.
Swearinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #460
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229846 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearinger View Post
Howdy all. Just wanted to say as a die hard, long time Gamecocks fan living in Columbia SC, i think Houston got the best all around WR in the draft. Time will tell if that's true of course but i really think he is.

He's not a low 4.3 blazer like Austin as some of you already know by studying up on him, but he's fast enough to be a home run threat and make big plays. He does everything quite well and can do it in either the slot or as an outside #2 WR. Something Austin probably won't be able to do in the NFL (other than a returner of course) due to his small frame and small catch radius. Hopkins gives you more options and is more versatile for a wider variety of offensive packages.

My only knock or area where i think Nuk needs and can improve that is vital in Houstons offense is his blocking. I think he needs to be stronger in that area and more aggressive there. Swearinger even got him during the SC/Clemson game last year about Nuks lack of it and told him he's "going to get his RB killed" if he doesn't block better. But that is something that can be coached up and i think Nuk will work his butt off to improve int hat area. He's a coachable kid.

Even though i despise Clemson, i always give credit where credit is due and Hopkins is a heck of player. Great route runner, excellent hands, he'll fight for the ball, and he's excellent after the catch. Things i've witnessed first hand. I think he's just the type of WO the Texans were looking for to help their offense and feel pretty confident he won't let you or the organization down.

Anywho, looking forward to checking out the forum and following Nuk and Swearinger and Montgomery, who i was really hoping he would commit to South Carolina since he's from the area, careers and wish them all nothing but great success.
Welcome to TexansTalk. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to seeing these guys in action.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read