Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2013   #361
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
From the same article:

"Not everything went perfectly for Hopkins during Thursday's workout. He dropped two passes during position drills, then promptly did 20 pushups for the pair of miscues."

This is one part of his game that is not great.
If you want to, but don't have game tapes, you can check out the game book from the ncaa football stats website (it's a pain in the neck.)
They recorded dropped balls (for some games, but not all - I think the NCAA may not have top-level statastics keepers at all games.)
I still don't think drops will be a big problem for him. His hands are large and in charge. What did you think of Justin Hunter if you have the time? He is a guy I did not get to watch very much. I just saw the stats saying he had the most dropped passes in the 2012-2013 season and that he had acl surgery the year before last which seemed to make him hesitant over the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nHtKg5AQ0
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #362
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, the Texans had bombed before when I disagreed.
They took Anthony Hill when I said I'd rather go with Brandon Myers.

Myers eventually became a starter for the Raiders; he recently signed a 4-yr deal worth $14.25 with the Giants.

Where is Anthony Hill?

I'm just saying that to show that I do spend time evaluating players (not all of them, only those of interest to me - which means most of the receivers in the last two draft classes and a few in the next class.)
I don't think you were the only one not impressed with the Anthony Hill pick. His injury problems alone made me skeptical of him. But I definitely give you credit for hitting on Myers. Didn't the Broncos draft TE Richard Quinn earlier in that draft and he was a somewhat similar player to Hill? He hasn't done anything in the league either.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #363
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
Can I see some of these articles? I just went through a few years of the combine and checked out the top wr performers in the 20 yd short shuttle. None of the names impressed me very much. I then looked at most positions and I didn't see many impressive guys. Austin Pettis with a 3.88, Shiloh Keo with a 3.90, Jeff Maehl with a 3.94, Mike Mohamed with a 4.00, Terrence Toliver with a 4.03, Antwaun Molden with a 4.14, and on and on and on. What number do guys HAVE to hit in this drill? I love what Hopkins brings. He's got very long arms, huge hands, a 36 inch vertical. He is a stud. The only thing I cannot find is his 3-cone drill number.
you can go to nfldraftscout.com and look at every players combine and pro day #s. In fact, go look at the top 20 wrs in the nfl and check their shuttle #s. That's what I did months ago after watching wrs on tape. When I see guys like patterson and hopkins in the 4.5 range for the shuttle, that's an alarm for me. Like I said before, aquan boldin was a 4.7 40yd dash guy. If u watched Q in college , he got great seperation. People wonder how he gets open with a 4.7,but he's a 4.1 in the shuttle which is short area quickness. That's vital as a wr.
Old 05-06-2013   #364
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you expected Hopkins to be a number one receiver?
Or do you mean that you don't mind spending a first round pick on a number two?
I don't mind spending a first round pick on a #2 (which is duh, a starting position) and frankly your whole point on this is months late. WR for the Texans was a top consideration since draft talk began.

Oh and to state what should be ludicrously obvious - ANY WR BROUGHT IN WITH AJ WAS GOING TO BE THE #2 WR.
Old 05-06-2013   #365
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
you can go to nfldraftscout.com and look at every players combine and pro day #s. In fact, go look at the top 20 wrs in the nfl and check their shuttle #s. That's what I did months ago after watching wrs on tape. When I see guys like patterson and hopkins in the 4.5 range for the shuttle, that's an alarm for me. Like I said before, aquan boldin was a 4.7 40yd dash guy. If u watched Q in college , he got great seperation. People wonder how he gets open with a 4.7,but he's a 4.1 in the shuttle which is short area quickness. That's vital as a wr.
BUT, Hopkins also ran a 6.83 3 cone which is a good time and also shows short area quickness. I love the 20yd short shuttle and use it with most of the athletes I train, there is some technique to it and it definitely favors shorter guys and those with a wider frame.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #366
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I search the same site and came up with Hakeem Nicks as a guy with a poor shuttle time that has had a lot of success. Both have good hands and similar size, hopefully we get that kind of production. Overall though tough to find a lot of guys that have had success with that kind of shuttle time so I share your concern.
Old 05-06-2013   #367
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't mind spending a first round pick on a #2 (which is duh, a starting position) and frankly your whole point on this is months late. WR for the Texans was a top consideration since draft talk began.

Oh and to state what should be ludicrously obvious - ANY WR BROUGHT IN WITH AJ WAS GOING TO BE THE #2 WR.
True, but there are other options.

1. Take the trade with the Vikings to get their second, third, fourth, and seventh that Bilichick was able to swindle with a lower draft choice than ours.
Use those 4 picks plus the pick for Bonner to acquire 5 receivers (if you want to), a couple might be risky if selected alone. But with 5 picks, you can afford to take some risks with guys like Swope, Da'rick Rogers, Marcus Davis, Mark Harrison, Rodney Smith, etc.
Or you can use one or two of those picks to move back up.
Or you can use one or two of those picks to get players at other position.
Or you can trade them away for future picks that you can combine with your first next year to grab a better prospect.
(Like I had said before, there will be some very interesting prospects next year.)

2. Try to swindle a trade similar to the Pats in 2011, when they traded their #28 to the Saints for the #56 and the Saints first in 2012 (it ends up to be either the #21 or 25).
Use #56 on a solid guy, Aaron Dobson, for example (who's not as good as Hopkins, but you have the extra first in 2014 to combine with your first to move up.
Or you can trade down again to get two picks. With those two and the Bonner's pick, you can take a solid guy in the next tier and two flyers.
You still has the future first in 2013.
With the extra money that you don't have to pay for your first, combine it with the remaining cap to obtain a veteran like Brandon Floyd.

3. You can also try to trade Kmart away, or throw him into a trade.
He could be worth anywhere between a fourth to a sixth.
Or if you're Bilichick, you may even get third round value for him.
The reason I include Kmart is such that it gives you the flexibility to justify the selection of a guy like Stedman Bailey or Ryan Swope or Kenny Stills.

4. Trade down like in the first scenario, then trade away all those picks for future consideration (as many as possible). Let's say, trade away the second and third round picks. With the two remaining picks from that trade (the fourth and the seventh) along with the Bonner's pick, take a flyer on any 3 guys that you like (including Da'Rick Rogers).
Now that you don't have to spend money on a first rounder, you can combine it with whatever you got left in cap room to work out a deal with a Brandon Lloyd.
You now have a solid veteran that allows the team the time to develop the unfinished products that you took the risk on.
And you still have one or two future picks left.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #368
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

When does rookie camp start? Sure hope it can spring a topic or two to discuss around here
Old 05-06-2013   #369
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still don't think drops will be a big problem for him. His hands are large and in charge. What did you think of Justin Hunter if you have the time? He is a guy I did not get to watch very much. I just saw the stats saying he had the most dropped passes in the 2012-2013 season and that he had acl surgery the year before last which seemed to make him hesitant over the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nHtKg5AQ0
Hunter is a more explosive prospect than Hopkins, but he does have that injury (coupled with the fact that he has a skinny build that CNND had talked about that may increase the risk of a recurrence or a different injury).

He isn't as good a route runner as Hopkins currently, but the tests do show that he has the tools to do so.
Old 05-06-2013   #370
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The only guy I would have taken over Hopkins is Datone Jones and he went one spot before. I also liked Sylvester Williams, but Hopkins was higher on the list for me. And has it been confirmed that Minnesota offered us the same trade as they offered to NE? Rick Smith's brother is on twitter lol and he said the only trade down offer they had involved an added fifth rounder. If you want Hopkins badly, which the Texans did, you don't risk losing him just to add an extra fifth.
Whatever smoke screen they threw out there doesn't much matter.

The fact remains that Belichik was able to pull out that deal.
Unless Belichick had some dirt on the Vikings' GM, it would be sad if Rick Smith can't pull a similar deal if the Texans chooses to go that route.
Old 05-06-2013   #371
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bridgewater is miles ahead of Boyd for me. I have never been able to get on the Tahj Boyd wagon. Maybe it's because I watched a bunch of his games in 2011 and his accuracy was not impressive to me.
He does have some odd runs of inaccuracy, but they usually don't persist.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #372
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whatever smoke screen they threw out there doesn't much matter.

The fact remains that Belichik was able to pull out that deal.
Unless Belichick had some dirt on the Vikings' GM, it would be sad if Rick Smith can't pull a similar deal if the Texans chooses to go that route.
I feel like the Vikings reached out to the Patriots, not the other way around. Why do people seem to assume that they reached out to us as well?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #373
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I feel like the Vikings reached out to the Patriots, not the other way around. Why do people seem to assume that they reached out to us as well?
I assume that it's a GM's job to coordinate all the guys on his staff to work on all angles on draft day.
Old 05-06-2013   #374
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I assume that it's a GM's job to coordinate all the guys on his staff to work on all angles on draft day.
Lets be real here. These are people doing these jobs. How do we even know the Viking had made up their mind about trading up when we were on the clock? There are 31 other teams out there constantly making and changing their minds.

There is no way to be in tune with what every franchise wants to do because all those other franchises may not know what they want to do at that time. You only have a set amount of time to make these moves.

But all that said, it's a moot point. Texans stated they wanted Hopkins and were concerned he might not even make it to them. They weren't in the trade down market once the guy they targeted had fallen to them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #375
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, for all we know the Pats could have wanted Hopkins as well and only traded back once he wasn't there anymore. A lot of these WR's you guys wanted were still on board at the Pats pick too. They traded down and skipped over all those guys.

Hopkins could have been their guy.

I can come up with a bunch of draft day speculation.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #376
76Texan
Hall of Fame

It can't be a coincidence that the Patriots had come up with a lot of draft day trades, either down or up.

Perhaps they have a draft-trade response system similar to their plug-and-play offensive philosophy?

For example, they might have a methodical sequences where all the members of the staff can execute on draft day for each situation that may arise; ie. they have contigency plans for everything (from known events that they had encountered in the past)!?!
Old 05-06-2013   #377
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, but there are other options...
"blah, blah, blah - I have become a draftnick and love playing with my draft picks - blah, blah, blah."

If you get the player you want you take him not play monkey throwing darts at a board based on what may be a 12 year old posting rankings of draft prospects.

Your assertion teams shouldn't use a 1st round pick on a #2 WR remains silly.
Old 05-06-2013   #378
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Hell, for all we know the Pats could have wanted Hopkins as well and only traded back once he wasn't there anymore. A lot of these WR's you guys wanted were still on board at the Pats pick too. They traded down and skipped over all those guys.

Hopkins could have been their guy.

I can come up with a bunch of draft day speculation.
Yep, or the Ravens ( Jacoby #2?) or whoever was going to trade up to the top of the 2nd to snatch a WR before the Bills.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #379
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
"blah, blah, blah - I have become a draftnick and love playing with my draft picks - blah, blah, blah."

If you get the player you want you take him not play monkey throwing darts at a board based on what may be a 12 year old posting rankings of draft prospects.

Your assertion teams shouldn't use a 1st round pick on a #2 WR remains silly.
That's fine; I've already stated that it is my "preference" to find a real play-maker in my system (whether it's on the offensive side or defensive side).
Other people can have their own preference.

As far as draft-day trades goes, Belichik averages 3.71 trades per draft.
I share his philosophy.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...nesota-vikings
Old 05-06-2013   #380
76Texan
Hall of Fame

BTW, the Pats used those four picks on http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-...ts-draft-picks
WR Aaron Dobson, WR Josh Boyd, CB LoganRyan, and Edge Rusher Michael Buchanan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read