Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2013   #21
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery.

I had arthroscopic hip surgery in Aug. 2009 for femoral-acetabular impingement and articular and labrum tears in my right hip. I was on crutches for 2 weeks and rehabbed for a month. I felt better the day after surgery than the day before. I'm not overly concerned about Reed's surgery. I would let him rehab it till training camp or longer. Reed is a smart veteran that can learn the defense from the sidelines.
Old 05-06-2013   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I had arthroscopic hip surgery in Aug. 2009 for femoral-acetabular impingement and articular and labrum tears in my right hip. I was on crutches for 2 weeks and rehabbed for a month. I felt better the day after surgery than the day before. I'm not overly concerned about Reed's surgery. I would let him rehab it till training camp or longer. Reed is a smart veteran that can learn the defense from the sidelines.
DocBar, from my recollection of our discussions, your surgery did not involve a graft harvested from a remote site. Is my memory faulty?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #23
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as I am concerned , Ed Reed can sit out the entire training camp, which I bet he milks this until end of TC, as long as he is good to go Game 1 of the season.

I think it is stupid for veterans, especially 10 + year vets, to have to attend training camp, or at least partial camp. What are you going to teach a 10 + year vet that he doesn't already know?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind the previous hip injury was in 2010 and he played 10 games. 2011 & 2012 played 16 games each with 52 and 58 tackles respectfully. I am not worried.
Old 05-06-2013   #25
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans a 'little concerned' about Ed Reed's hip surgery

Quote:
Following Ed Reed's recent hip surgery, we got the "minor" and "will be ready for camp" routine. This ignored the fact that Reed turns 35 in September and he had surgery on his hip. It's always minor when it's someone else.

A few days after the news first broke, the Houston Texans are already sounding more realistic. Owner Bob McNair admitted Monday that Reed might not be ready until "the middle" of training camp, according to Nick Scurfield of HoustonTexans.com.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips admitted he's a "little concerned" with Reed's surgery because of the timing. Reed didn't undergo surgery right after the season, presumably because it wouldn't be a good look as he searched for a new team in free agency. The delay could wind up costing Reed the entire OTA/minicamp season in addition to a chunk of the preseason.

Reed has been a very durable player throughout his career, but there's reason to think he'll only last one season in Houston.
Did Reed conceal this injury?
Is this an reocuring injury?
Where do the Texans go from here?
Sign another vet?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Texans a 'little concerned' about Ed Reed's hip surgery

Did Reed conceal this injury?
Is this an reocuring injury?
Where do the Texans go from here?
Sign another vet?
Giddy Up, DJ!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #27
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans need to be patient with Reed. His importance to the team won't be during the beginning of the season anyway. The overall goal should be having him healthy by Week 1. If he's ready before then, well great. If its a week or 2 after week 1 then its no big deal IMO. We do need him healthy towards the latter half of the season and into the playoffs though. No reason to rush him at this point.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #28
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Giddy Up, DJ!
Not what I mean. If Reed gone yes DJ steps in but the huge problem is who steps in for DJ as 3rd safety. I really don't want to see more of Keo.
Old 05-06-2013   #29
srrono
Hall of Fame

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 14m Think #Texans fans putting Boselli/A Green on Ed Reed overlearning lessons. Each player unique. That said, buyer beware on $100 Reed jersey.
Old 05-06-2013   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't we do a physical on him?

Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 27m
Kubiak on Ed Reed (hip): "We didn't expect it, but it started bothering him. That's when we got aggressive in what we needed to do"
Old 05-06-2013   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Didn't we do a physical on him?
That sounds like it was a known issue that wasn't bothering him when we did the physical. Then after we signed him, he started having some pain or something and so we jumped on it aggressively.

sigh
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #32
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged Monday that the Texans did not expect FS Ed Reed to need hip surgery when they signed him in March.
On March 20, the Texans signed (Ahman Green) Reed to a three-year, $15 million deal with $6 million guaranteed. "We didn't expect it, but it started bothering him," said Kubiak. "That's when we got aggressive in what we needed to do." It's believed owner Bob McNair was the driving force behind the Texans' pursuit of Reed after the club lost Glover Quin and Connor Barwin in free agency. McNair conceded Monday that Reed may not be ready for training camp.
Old 05-06-2013   #33
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to say I told you so but ....
HoustonRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #34
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
Don't count your eggs before they are hatched....

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #35
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten that we also drafted a hard hitting safety in the 2nd round. Reed will come back, but either way DJ will benefit from the additional playing time and attention from the coaches.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That sounds like it was a known issue that wasn't bothering him when we did the physical. Then after we signed him, he started having some pain or something and so we jumped on it aggressively.

sigh
You can be sure that if his hip was bothering him in April, it was bothering him at the end of the season. Whatever pathology was there at the time of surgery was there at the time we signed him.......and at a time that he would have supposedly had a "thorough" evaluation by the medical staff. He had a major hip labrum reconstruction in April 2010..........having had problems for at least 6 months prior to giving into the surgery. His injury required an iliotibial band graft. For those that don’t understand the implication of the use of this graft, it is used to reconstruct large absent/unsalvageable portions of the labrum........meaning that the labrum was destroyed and could not be simply “cleaned up”/trimmed and tacked back down to the underlying structures (which is the most common type of surgery required).

From June 25, 2010:

Quote:
"They had to go in and reconstruct my whole hip. They took about 6-7 inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore. They went in in two spots, so I mean it's a slow process. Plus I have other injuries that, you know, really probably had an effect on causing this that I have to pay attention to also. So I'm just taking my time.
Quote:
"I played the last couple of games with a torn labrum and just messed my hip up worse, you know, going back out there and doing things the way I was able to do things," he said
http://www.masnsports.com/dan_kolko/...uncertain.html

It is not a good sign that the same hip required ANY further surgery. Approximately 75% of those returning for arthroscopic labral tear/“revision” result in the findings of additional significant cartilage damage. Keep in mind that studies have found that anywhere from 1 out of 4 to 1 out of 3 of those undergoing major hip labrum reconstruction go on to require hip replacement by 4-5 years following their initial INJURY not surgery.

All we can realistically do at this time is hope for the best.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just a quick browse of your posting history and I only saw one injury related post from you and it was about his neck.

As a matter of fact you were insistent that Reed wasn't signing here. Your last post since this one was about how Reed wasn't signing here.

Who told who so again?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why I only had one caveat: A bonus structure in his contract for games played, for example.

AJ had an escalation in his contract!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #39
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

JJ Watt did pretty well without playing in preseason last year.

Cushing too in his rookie year...
Old 05-06-2013   #40
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
JJ Watt did pretty well without playing in preseason last year.

Cushing too in his rookie year...
Cushing and JJ were not a 105 years old.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read