Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2013   #301
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I agree with this. I think he'll end up being the #2 receiver we've been waiting for. In the long run though, we'll still have to somehow get a new #1 receiver and I'm not sure this guy is it.
This is how I see it. I think he'll be a very great and productive #2 receiver, much like Anquan Boldin. He can even take over the #1 spot, but I don't believe he will be the next Megatron or AJ.
Old 05-05-2013   #302
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 383515 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't dislike Hopkins and I don't favor Keenan Allen either.
^This. 76T is just doing his due diligence. He puts a lot of time into developing his opinions on players. No need to attack him. He has no ulterior motives. He's just voicing his opinion backed by film study.

You'll recall not many were in his corner when he took a more unpopular stance -- that Kareem Jackson was much better than most thought. Then 2012 happened.

My problem with taking the Vikings deal is: Patterson, Hopkins, Hunter, and Woods are off the board. I think Hopkins was the clear choice for this team at this time. I love so much of what he does. What we know is the guy will work to maximize his potential. That's big, because there are some hugely physically gifted NFL WRs who just disappoint.

He'll never be AJ Green, but he could be at the top of #2s with upside.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #303
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

And no one thought that Steve Largent would be an 8x All Pro selection.

My point? Let the guy play a down in the NFL before all these self-indulgent predictions of who this guy can or can not be.
Old 05-05-2013   #304
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 50924 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't dislike Hopkins ...
You throw this in every 10 posts or so, in between pointing out that every pass he has ever caught was on a fluke play. This one was a bubble screen, that one was a broken play, all his good games were against a cornerback who was a 7 year old girl with one leg. But its good that you don't dislike him!

As others have pointed out the WRs started coming off the board pretty fast. Trade down a few spots and you looking at Allen and Patton - who you could get by trading down from the 2nd round pick.

I don't know anything first hand. I don't watch tape, I just read what other people say and get a concensus type feel. The concensus seems to be the Tenn guys have higher upside but that Hopkins is more of a sure thing. Even if the only passes he ever caught were when he got away with PI against a one-legged girl with hemophilia.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #305
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

If u look at the top 20 wrs in the nfl,none of them had as slow of a 20 yd shuttle as hopkins. Even a so called slow guy like boldin ran a 4.13 shuttle. That's why he's been getting open with that 4.7 40. A slow shuttle=inability to sfift weight and create seperation. Devier posey last year was a 4.12 shuttle guy. When u watch clemson, boyd either threw hopkins open most times or it was from a broken play by boyd.
Old 05-05-2013   #306
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
When u watch clemson, boyd either threw hopkins open most times or it was from a broken play by boyd.
Maybe you should watch Clemson. It doesn't sound like you have at all.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #307
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Maybe you should watch Clemson. It doesn't sound like you have at all.
Watched clemson a lot. Boyd threw that guy open a lot. Not to mention the broken plays boyd made with his feet to buy time.
Old 05-05-2013   #308
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
As others have pointed out the WRs started coming off the board pretty fast. Trade down a few spots and you looking at Allen and Patton - who you could get by trading down from the 2nd round pick.

I don't know anything first hand. I don't watch tape, I just read what other people say and get a concensus type feel. The concensus seems to be the Tenn guys have higher upside but that Hopkins is more of a sure thing. Even if the only passes he ever caught were when he got away with PI against a one-legged girl with hemophilia.

We got Hopkins at 27. The only WR off the board was Tavon Austin.

What do we say about QBs when only one goes in the first round?

What do we say about the RB class when none of them go in the first round?

How does that apply to WRs who were passed by 26 other teams?

It's not a definite that Hopkins won't amount to much, or that none of the 2013 running backs will be all-pros, that's not what I'm saying. He's going to have flaws
Old 05-05-2013   #309
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

So, your saying that either Boyd threw him open or he was open due to Boyd keeping the play alive on every single reception? That's exactly what you said.

You can watch a highlight film and completely dismantle that argument. You can watch 1 full Clemson game and laugh at that argument.

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. I guess some people just don't know wtf they are watching.
Old 05-05-2013   #310
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
So, your saying that either Boyd threw him open or he was open due to Boyd keeping the play alive on every single reception? That's exactly what you said.

You can watch a highlight film and completely dismantle that argument. You can watch 1 full Clemson game and laugh at that argument.

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. I guess some people just don't know wtf they are watching.
I didn't say all,but he caught a lot bubble screens. Also he didn't create a lot of seperation when he was locked up in man. So boyd would throw him open which is something schaub doesn't do. He also benefitted from that quirky offense and boyd extending plays with his feet.
Old 05-05-2013   #311
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Boyd threw Hopkins open on this play?

This one?

This one?

This one?

Your argument is not good.
Old 05-05-2013   #312
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I didn't say all,but he caught a lot bubble screens. Also he didn't create a lot of seperation when he was locked up in man. So boyd would throw him open which is something schaub doesn't do. He also benefitted from that quirky offense and boyd extending plays with his feet.
You said that Boyd throws him open most times OR it was a broken play by Boyd.

I can quote it again for you if you'd like.

Also, he caught alot of bubble screens? What are you talking about???

Link

Clearly, your wrong.
Old 05-05-2013   #313
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins sucks as a first round draft choice!!!

Signed,
Those that criticized Duane Brown as a Tackle being such a reach

CHEESE AND RICE People.......... Can the guy play a game in the NFL before you self-proclaimed experts prove you're expertice?

Apparently not!!! You people be need to be proud of yourselves.... Which one of you jabronis will actually fess up when and if he's good!!!

HAVE BALLS.............
Call your shot NOW!!!
Old 05-05-2013   #314
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
^This. 76T is just doing his due diligence. He puts a lot of time into developing his opinions on players. No need to attack him. He has no ulterior motives. He's just voicing his opinion backed by film study.

You'll recall not many were in his corner when he took a more unpopular stance -- that Kareem Jackson was much better than most thought. Then 2012 happened.

My problem with taking the Vikings deal is: Patterson, Hopkins, Hunter, and Woods are off the board. I think Hopkins was the clear choice for this team at this time. I love so much of what he does. What we know is the guy will work to maximize his potential. That's big, because there are some hugely physically gifted NFL WRs who just disappoint.

He'll never be AJ Green, but he could be at the top of #2s with upside.
This. No need to attack 76. He puts time into what he's doing, and he's not some Titans fan in disguise to attack us. IMO some people are just overreacting because 76 is not all aboard on the 1st round pick train and we're afraid he's right. The fact is, Hopkins is yet to play a single down in the NFL. And until he does, we'll never know exactly what he'll be for us. He could meet, exceed, or disappoint our expectations - but we won't know until August and September.

I don't agree with him on Hopkins, I think he fits nicely into our offense - but there's no need to attack 76.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #315
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This. No need to attack 76. He puts time into what he's doing, and he's not some Titans fan in disguise to attack us. IMO some people are just overreacting because 76 is not all aboard on the 1st round pick train and we're afraid he's right. The fact is, Hopkins is yet to play a single down in the NFL. And until he does, we'll never know exactly what he'll be for us. He could meet, exceed, or disappoint our expectations - but we won't know until August and September.

I don't agree with him on Hopkins, I think he fits nicely into our offense - but there's no need to attack 76.
Pretty much agree 100% with this, but it does come off a bit overly negative when the posts are all back to back like that. I think some of the concerns are legitimate, but I think there is plenty of great film on Hopkins to feel good about this pick.

76 does have some positive posts about Hopkins on record, but they aren't nearly as in depth and they were before the draft if I remember correctly.
Old 05-05-2013   #316
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't really seen any attacks on 76. I've seen people disagree with his opinion on Hopkins and state that they think his opinion is slanted because he wanted someone else going into the draft. I have yet to see anything out of line said to anyone in this thread. I have a lot of respect for the time he puts into film study because Lord knows I don't wanna do it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #317
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I haven't really seen any attacks on 76. I've seen people disagree with his opinion on Hopkins and state that they think his opinion is slanted because he wanted someone else going into the draft. I have yet to see anything out of line said to anyone in this thread. I have a lot of respect for the time he puts into film study because Lord knows I don't wanna do it.
Yup. And everybody is right on occasion and wrong on occasion, so there is no way to say he is wrong in his opinion.

I remember when I had DeAndre McDaniel as my #1 safety and he didn't even get drafted. He signed an UDFA contract, but didn't stick. It's all opinion unless someone states something factually or statistically wrong. I only watch games as they happen, albeit alot of them, but I don't have the time or patience to do film study like 76 does. There's always props from me on that.
Old 05-05-2013   #318
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins is going to be a very nice addition to this offense. The routes we are going to ask him to run fit his skill set very nicely. He catches the ball well on traffic, has good body control to adjust to make difficult catches, has good speed, he's tough, gritty, and he plays with a lot of passion.

Of course he's going to have some rough moments. Of course he's not going to come in and be the best rookie wr ever. Yes he has some faults.

But despite all that I'm excited about him and I believe he's going to help the team immediately.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #319
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, the key things are as followed:

You have about 6-1/2 years to build a team, or do you guys want to give your HC more time? Be up front about it.

Each year, you only have one first round pick unless your GM is so good he sold other teams a bill of goods, trading a third for next year first.
On a few occasion, some team may be willing to give your their future first for this year high second to mid second rounder.

Basically, you need to use your first round picks on the most important positions of your team.

A LT, a QB, a number one receiver, for example.
And maybe a RB (if you definitely wants to build a run first team) or maybe a TE (if your team place TE at a premium), or perhaps a Center (if you think he's really really good).

On defense, you may choose to go with a monster interior linman, an edge rusher, a big time Inside LB, a number one CB, or a great safety.

How many positions that are named already?
More than 7.

If you use a first round pick on a number two receiver, you're failing your team.

We have to evaluate Hopkins as the number one receiver in a couple of years.
The bar has to be set high.
It wasn't his fault that he got drafted in the first, but it is what it is.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #320
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you use a first round pick on a number two receiver, you're failing your team.
There is your logic fail.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read