Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013   #281
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

I'll give you this 76....... You definitely go through great lengths to try and prove your points.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #282
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1795 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
A receiver's production is directly tied with his QB.
If he has a good QB, the receiver should be helped.

In the same article, you would find that Tyler Bray didn't help Hunter as he missed quite a few deep balls.

By the same token, Zac Maynard didn't help Kennan Allen (who isn't a speed guy to start) with his weak arm. If you don't have time to watch the California Golden Bear, you can still read about it.
Furthermore, their schedule is stacked against good secondary in the PAC 12 this past year.
Their non-conference schedule had Ohio St., who has as a good secondary as any in the country. One CB, Roby, was a Jr that is rated number one in his class, and is predicted to be the number one corner taken in the draft next year.
The other CB is Howard, our UDFA; the nickel/3rd safety is Another of our UDFA.
One of their safeties is predicted to be the number two safety in the draft next year. The other boasts 4.43 speed.
Nevada is another non-conference opponent; they had a CB Wooten who is a 6th rd pick as a safety Duke Williams who is a 4th rd pick.

Hopkins faced nowhere near the competition.

And you already know that pre-draft, I had even downgraded Allen's status to unknown, due to his lack of speed and injury concern.
Boyd isn't a great qb either. He's very overrated. And to say that Hopkins faced "nowhere near the competition" that Keenan Allen did is extreme hyperbole and makes it hard for me to take you seriously. We get it. You like Keenan Allen and don't like Hopkins. Great. Most of us disagree and have watched a lot of games as well.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #283
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wrong!
I don't dislike Hopkins and I don't favor Keenan Allen either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #284
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Wrong!
I don't know your opinion on Allen but you have very clearly displayed an intention to slag Hopkins far beyond anything credible.
Old 05-05-2013   #285
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you want to know the level of competition that these receivers, you can spent time to look it up.
Old 05-05-2013   #286
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't know your opinion on Allen but you have very clearly displayed an intention to slag Hopkins far beyond anything credible.
I'm sure it's very unpopular to point out the lacking of a first rounder of the local team.
Old 05-05-2013   #287
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure it's very unpopular to point out the lacking of a first rounder of the local team.
It has nothing to do with unpopular. It has to do with you staking out a position and then doing everything possible to defend it. Every good play is on the QB. Every bad play is on Hopkins. It is ridiculous and transparent. I think you are being a joke on this one. Now carry on, I'm done.
Old 05-05-2013   #288
76Texan
Hall of Fame

As far as the QBs are concerned, the ACC coaches selected Tajh Boyd as the Offensive Player of he Year.

In the SEC, the coaches put Johnny Football on the first team, AJ McCarron on the second team and Aaron Murray got HM.
There was no Tyler Bray anywhere on the list.

Same thing goes for Zac Maynard.
Old 05-05-2013   #289
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It has nothing to do with unpopular. It has to do with you staking out a position and then doing everything possible to defend it. Every good play is on the QB. Every bad play is on Hopkins. It is ridiculous and transparent. I think you are being a joke on this one. Now carry on, I'm done.
That is what you're saying, not I.
Old 05-05-2013   #290
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wrong!
If that's the case then I'd hate to see how much time you'd spend trying to discredit a player you don't like then.
Old 05-05-2013   #291
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
If that's the case then I'd hate to see how much time you'd spend trying to discredit a player you don't like then.
I spent a lot of time on Jason Allen even though I didn't dislike him as much as people thought, LOL!

I simply pointed out that he played at the level of a journeyman.

My entire point is that I don't see Hopkins as a first rounder.
I also said that I'm not even sure I like any receiver in this draft class in the first.
Old 05-05-2013   #292
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83263 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I spent a lot of time on Jason Allen even though I didn't dislike him as much as people thought, LOL!

I simply pointed out that he played at the level of a journeyman.

My entire point is that I don't see Hopkins as a first rounder.
I also said that I'm not even sure I like any receiver in this draft class in the first.
So in your opinion, the draft falling the way it did, who would you have taken in the 1st? Would you have traded down?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #293
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83263 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

iirc you took... Barkevious Mingo in the TT mock? So maybe a pass rusher? Or were you thinking/hoping for an NT?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #294
76Texan
Hall of Fame

My position was to trade out of the first round.
Take whichever receiver you like in the second, and use the extra picks on other positions of your preference.

The Patriots trade was there, so it's not like it's not do-able.

BTW, Mike Mayock, who may be the most reputable draft analyst out there, did not have Hopkins in the first round.
Both CBS Sports and NFL Draft Scout also had him solidly in the second.
Old 05-05-2013   #295
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Take whichever receiver you like in the second, and use the extra picks on other positions of your preference.

BTW, Mike Mayock, who may be the most reputable draft analyst out there, did not have Hopkins in the first round.
Mike Mayock also had Duane Brown going in the third round and said he didn't see him as an elite Left Tackle prospect. This game can be played all day.
Old 05-05-2013   #296
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
He also had Geno Smith going #6 overall. Good luck with the swami argument.
Old 05-05-2013   #297
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Although Mayock didn't have Hopkins as a 1st rounder, he recognizes that certain players are going to be rated by certain teams because of scheme fit. One of the examples he gave was Hopkins. Although Hopkins wasn't the highest rated guy on Mayock's board, he considered him a better fit for the Texans than the other guys.

You're looking at this like "all things are created equal" when they're not.

You're saying trade back into the second and then take whatever receiver falls to you and get a whole bunch of other picks. And that's a great strategy IF:
1. You don't really care which receiver you get.
2. You think you have a lot of holes you've got to fill
3. You don't mind filling those holes with lesser round talent.

But I think it's pretty plain that the Texans favored Hopkins over the other guys and not just by a little. So they CARED about which receiver they got and they got the one they wanted. If they had traded back, they might not have and they would have had to "settle" for a guy. If they weren't careful, there might have been 0 receivers that they really liked falling to them.

And they weren't wanting a bunch of lower round picks because they felt like they had enough of them. When Smith got the guys he wanted, that's when he traded back and picked up lower round picks. Everything after the 4th round was gravy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #298
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I would agree that having Tajh Boyd was extremely beneficial to Hopkins. I don't understand why some people think Boyd is overrated. I'm not picking on any poster here, because I live in ACC country and I hear it down here as well. I have Boyd as my #1 quarterback prospect for next year. He and Bridgewater look the most impressive to me.

Boyd is somewhat like a Russell Wilson, in that he just makes plays. He doesn't stand out physically, but he just makes it happen. I remember Russell Wilson at NC State and he was an absolute monster, much like Boyd. I was always very high on Wilson, much higher than most, but maybe that's because not alot of people got to see him play for NC State. It was not like at Wisconson; many times at NC State he would throw it 40 times a game. He was so good and used to BURN Florida State. Boyd does the same thing.

More on topic, Hopkins is probably pretty difficult to grade. Clemson's offense is so unique and Tajh Boyd does keep plays alive with his legs, that sometimes guys just get WIDE open. I love Hopkins though and I think he is going to be a hell of a pro. Many times that he did get wide open, he got himself open through route running precision, so I am not at all concerned about him being a product of their system.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #299
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also had Geno Smith going #6 overall. Good luck with the swami argument.
He also thought Reggie Bush was the greatest prospect ever and at one time had Reggie McNeal as the top rated QB in the 2006 draft. Mayock is not above swinging and missing wildly.
Old 05-05-2013   #300
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
To bring 76Texan's "reality check" back into this plane of reality, I suggest researching receivers, even REALLY good one currently in the NFL *cough*Andre Johnson*cough* who had far worse performances in their final collegiate years. It's a LONG list.

Do I expect him to eclipse Megatron as a rookie? Uh...no.

Do I expect him to be a productive #2 fairly quickly? Yes.
I agree with this. I think he'll end up being the #2 receiver we've been waiting for. In the long run though, we'll still have to somehow get a new #1 receiver and I'm not sure this guy is it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read