Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2013   #241
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Arian himself has said he had a bad work ethic and a bad attitude when he came to the Texans.
The point is still the same. We don't know if Hopkins is "pro" enough for Kubiak. That's all I'm saying. Doesn't matter if Hopkins gives us the best shot to win. If Kubiak doesn't like his preparation, kid won't see the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think Arian was applying himself. I don't think he was studying hard. I think he had given up and was planning on hitting it hard the next year. He's pretty much said as much. He didn't know that a practice squad player could be moved up to the main squad until he was watching MNF and they mentioned some PS player getting a chance.

At that point, Arian started applying himself. And when he started showing signs of "getting it" in practice, he started getting time on the field.

Up until that point, he was not ready to play. Doesn't matter how talented he was, he was not ready to play.
I don't remember hearing Arian say any of that. I thought he was on a mission the minute he went undrafted.
Old 05-02-2013   #242
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The point is still the same. We don't know if Hopkins is "pro" enough for Kubiak. That's all I'm saying. Doesn't matter if Hopkins gives us the best shot to win. If Kubiak doesn't like his preparation, kid won't see the field.

I don't remember hearing Arian say any of that. I thought he was on a mission the minute he went undrafted.
Nope.

He's talked about this and he's admitted he was depressed and upset and sulking. He'd pretty much given up getting onto the field that season.

Seeing that a guy can go from the Practice Squad to the real team is one of the big things that lit a fire under his ass and got him going. IIRC, the other was a conversation with Kubiak where Kubes said, "Show me you're ready in practice and I'll put you on the field." or something to that effect. The MNF crew even patted themselves on the back for it at one point.

We talked about it a lot on Texans Talk back in the day after it came out because up until that point, quite a few people were pissed off that Arian hadn't seen the field sooner.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #243
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

For those wondering if Hopkins is the #2 right now.

Quote:
Already penciled in as a starter, Hopkins is under pressure to make an immediate impact at the Z role across from six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson.

"I'm expecting it right off the get-go," Texans coach Gary Kubiak told the team's official website this week. "He's going in there, he's gonna get the reps. It's gonna be a very competitive situation, but we took (Hopkins at No. 27 overall) because we expect him to play very, very early and touch (the ball).

"This guy's on his way to being a pro already, and we've got to help him get there real fast."
Link

Pretty much sounds like he is the #2 right now. We may see some liberal subbing during pre-season, but once the real games start I expect Hopkins to get the majority of snaps at #2 receiver.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #244
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

Link

Pretty much sounds like he is the #2 right now. We may see some liberal subbing during pre-season, but once the real games start I expect Hopkins to get the majority of snaps at #2 receiver.
As long as this guy continues to work hard, he'll get the majority of snaps at #2, until he makes a gaff on or off the field and Kubiak gives him a "lesson"
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #245
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
It's gonna be a very competitive situation, but we took (Hopkins at No. 27 overall) because we expect him to play very, very early and touch (the ball).
Link

Sounds like Kubiak isn't giving him anything. He'll still have to prove the spot is his & that includes "being a pro".

Again, I have no doubt that the expectation was to start him right away.

They took Kareem at 20 and he started every game that season. They also didn't have any better option, but they did reduce his snaps once we picked up Jason Allen.

Duane Brown, 26th overall, started every game... but didn't take every snap. Again, no better option on the team.

Brian Cushing 15th overall, Jj Watt 11th... both started as rookies same as Mario Williams & Demeco Ryans.... but what options did we have?

Whitney Mercilus; 26th overall started 4 games. We had options.
Quote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Texans expect WR DeVier Posey (Achilles) to begin the season on the reserve/PUP list.
We may not have "good" options at WR2 other than Hopkins, but we can see a lot of Martin & LeStar (like Ephraim Salaam, & Jason Allen) & Two tightend sets.
Old 05-02-2013   #246
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We may not have "good" options at WR2 other than Hopkins, but we can see a lot of Martin & LeStar (like Ephraim Salaam, & Jason Allen) & Two tightend sets.
I suppose we could, but I doubt Martin or LeStar are going to be taking any snaps from Hopkins or Johnson unless they need a breather.

Hopkins is way more talented than any WR on our roster outside of Andre. Additionally, he hasn't played a down in the NFL and he has proven just as much as Martin and LeStar have in the NFL. Absolutely nothing.

Kubiak's quotes to me say, "he was taken to start and that is what he is going to do, unless he comes in here and is not a pro at all, which is not at all what I expect."
Old 05-02-2013   #247
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Kubiak's quotes to me say, "he was taken to start and that is what he is going to do, unless he comes in here and is not a pro at all, which is not at all what I expect."
I see it the same way. Just throwing it out there. There are a few reasons Hopkins may not perform the way we hope, there always is.

Matt's trust issues
Hopkins' ability to learn the play book
Kubiak's dog house
Old 05-02-2013   #248
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I see it the same way. Just throwing it out there. There are a few reasons Hopkins may not perform the way we hope, there always is.

Matt's trust issues
Hopkins' ability to learn the play book
Kubiak's dog house
I think the most likely thing to keep him off the field is injury. Wouldn't that be terrible to finally have a #2, but....ok I will stop talking about it.

Clemson's playbook is crazy versatile. He ran all kinds of routes and did all kinds of things for them. I'm pretty sure he even completed a 2 point conversion pass to Tajh Boyd, if I remember correctly. I don't really worry about his ability to learn the play book, but that's all assumption based on his involvement in the Clemson offense.

Kubiak's dog house could easily get him if he starts dropping balls left and right, but this guy is known for having elite type of hands.

If Posey was not injured, I would think that the two would compete. But even in such a situation, I would expect Hopkins to win that battle pretty easily, to be honest. That's all opinion though, obviously.
Old 05-02-2013   #249
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he did complete a pass on a 2-pt conversion, it would bring his batting average up to .250 LOL
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #250
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
As long as this guy continues to work hard, he'll get the majority of snaps at #2, until he makes a gaff on or off the field and Kubiak gives him a "lesson"
Holy SHYTE!! You are still alive you old Curmudgeon!! Give me a call you old bastage!!

*ahem* Back on topic, this guy could not only be a great compliment to'Dre but also be the future "feature" receiver for the Texans... Someone (and I apologize for not remembering who) posted a link to "Sports Science: DeAndre Hopkins" which was AWESOME!!!

If you have any doubts, watch that video on YouTube
Old 05-02-2013   #251
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Losing his fingers in a bizarre sewing accident.
Being named ambassador to Liechenstein.
Getting the lead in the Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon".

Just throwing out a few reasons Hopkins may not perform the way we hope.
Old 05-03-2013   #252
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Losing his fingers in a bizarre sewing accident.
Being named ambassador to Liechenstein.
Getting the lead in the Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon".

Just throwing out a few reasons Hopkins may not perform the way we hope.
Well, he's too old to make jerseys.
Is that in the blue lot? (it would almost fit)
I think Tebow gets the gig.
Old 05-03-2013   #253
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins is going to start. There isn't going to be any heavy subbing for him because he needs to get all the reps he can get.

Deandre Hopkins is Batman and Andre is Superman. Andre is the Joker and Deandre is the Riddler. Andre is Ozarka and Deandre is Aquifina. Andre is Lilo and Deandre is stitch. Andre is peter Pan and Deandre is Tinkerbell. It's the 'Dre and 'Dre show.

Last edited by Rey; 05-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #254
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Riddler over Joker? Please.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #255
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Hopkins is going to start. There isn't going to be any heavy subbing for him because he needs to get all the reps he can get.

Deandre Hopkins is Batman and Andre is Superman. Andre is the Joker and Deandre is the Riddler. Andre is Ozarka and Deandre is Aquifina. Andre is Lilo and Deandre is stitch. Andre is peter Pan and Deandre is Tinkerbell. It's the 'Dre and 'Dre show.
Rey, you may want to temper your enthusiasm a little.

Let's take a look at his 13-catch game against LSU.
SEC defense, you think they would be good, right?
Well, the strength of that D is the front line; when that front line couldn't get to the QB, their back end can not hold up; and that was what happened in that game.

Out of his 13 catches, 2 were bubble screens when there was nobody on him.
2 were into the zone, and 9 were covered one-on-one.
There were 7 or 8 incompletions where Hopkins didn't get enough separation.

The 3 guys that were on him were two freshmen (#32 and #28) and Tharold Simon #24.

Simon is a tall corner who is not very agile; that was why he was drafted in the 5th round.
One freshman was the 22nd ranked CB in his class (ie., he's likely not to get drafted in 2015 when he comes out.)
The other was ranked 34th in his class (ie., he's not going to be drafted in 2015 unless he improves significantly.)

Among those catches, there was one he caught with one foot in bound.

How many do you think he would have gotten against NFL-caliber CB?
Old 05-03-2013   #256
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There were 7 or 8 incompletions where Hopkins didn't get enough separation.
How are you judging this? - are you saying there was a PD awarded on the plays? Clearly the QB thought there was adequate separation or he could put the ball into a catchable spot without significant separation..
Old 05-03-2013   #257
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How are you judging this? - are you saying there was a PD awarded on the plays? Clearly the QB thought there was adequate separation or he could put the ball into a catchable spot without significant separation..
There was a dropped ball by Hopkins.
There's a route where Hopkins couldn't beat press and was forced out of bound.
On the other routes, the defenders were right there with him, either forcing the QB to throw the ball out of bound, or he can't put the ball in empty space (there was no room, or the CB was ahead of Hopkins to cut him off his route, and the pass was just high, things like that.
There were at least 2 PDs.
Old 05-03-2013   #258
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Hopkins had another 13-catch game, against Auburn, last year SEC weakling.

Their two starting CBs were ranked in the 70-90 something in their draft class (ie., they won't be even playing in the arena league when they complete their college career.)

Then there was an 11-catch game against BC, a bottom feeder in a weak conference. They lost their starting CB before the season started (he was a Sophomore); the guy that replaced him was another sophomore who got injured in the second game of the season.
The other starting CB was another sophomore who was unranked in his class.
His backup was another unranked Sophomore. I haven't checked the game to see whether this backup was the starter, but it doesn't matter.
Whoever else played for the Eagles wasn't on the 2-deep depth chart to start the season.
Old 05-03-2013   #259
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Against Florida St., Hopkins had 5 catches.

The long one was on a post route where the CB Rhodes left him to take on the slot receiver on an out route. The safety bit the play fake and left Hopkins wide open.

Rhodes allowed a short pass (about 5-6 yards).

Two other short catches were on the freshman Darby who wasn't on the two-deep depth chart.

The fifth catch was a bubble screen for short yardage as well.
Old 05-03-2013   #260
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to do the back and forth, but it sounds like you're saying Hopkins isn't that good. Or not as good as he seems.

I haven't even watched that LSU game so I don't know anything about his performance there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read