Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.57%
B 33 42.86%
C 14 18.18%
D 5 6.49%
F 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
If all he can be is a WOLB then he will be a huge disappointment. He's not a natural pass rusher and lack athleticism. That's why the coaching staff wants him to be a SOLB first. He would be worse then Connor Barwin in terms of pass rush if he was on the weak side.
I don't agree with that.

Barwin's best attribute was his athleticism. He gained some weight/added muscle and IMO lost some of that flexibility and speed. He should have changed his pass rushing style, but instead he continued to try to be a speed rusher.

I think Montgomery knows what brought him. He's a strength guy. He's not going to try to be a speed guy. Not to say he couldn't use quickness in his moves, but he's not going to try to beat guys around the edge all the time. He's going to get into guys and move them backward and use strength and leverage to come off of them to get to the QB.

Also, it should be noted that he will likely lose some weight. Lucky has pointed this out and someone else has as well. He played lighter in the past and Wade asked Mario to lose some weight...So put two and two together...

I do agree that he'd be a better SOLB, but I don't agree that having him at WOLB would be a dissapointment. I think his skills against the run would be better served on the strong side, but I don't think he's so awful as a past rusher that he'd completely suck on the weakside.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read