Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.95%
B 33 43.42%
C 14 18.42%
D 5 6.58%
F 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
If all he can be is a WOLB then he will be a huge disappointment. He's not a natural pass rusher and lack athleticism. That's why the coaching staff wants him to be a SOLB first. He would be worse then Connor Barwin in terms of pass rush if he was on the weak side.
I don't agree with that.

Barwin's best attribute was his athleticism. He gained some weight/added muscle and IMO lost some of that flexibility and speed. He should have changed his pass rushing style, but instead he continued to try to be a speed rusher.

I think Montgomery knows what brought him. He's a strength guy. He's not going to try to be a speed guy. Not to say he couldn't use quickness in his moves, but he's not going to try to beat guys around the edge all the time. He's going to get into guys and move them backward and use strength and leverage to come off of them to get to the QB.

Also, it should be noted that he will likely lose some weight. Lucky has pointed this out and someone else has as well. He played lighter in the past and Wade asked Mario to lose some weight...So put two and two together...

I do agree that he'd be a better SOLB, but I don't agree that having him at WOLB would be a dissapointment. I think his skills against the run would be better served on the strong side, but I don't think he's so awful as a past rusher that he'd completely suck on the weakside.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #82
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't agree with that.

Barwin's best attribute was his athleticism. He gained some weight/added muscle and IMO lost some of that flexibility and speed. He should have changed his pass rushing style, but instead he continued to try to be a speed rusher.

I think Montgomery knows what brought him. He's a strength guy. He's not going to try to be a speed guy. Not to say he couldn't use quickness in his moves, but he's not going to try to beat guys around the edge all the time. He's going to get into guys and move them backward and use strength and leverage to come off of them to get to the QB.

Also, it should be noted that he will likely lose some weight. Lucky has pointed this out and someone else has as well. He played lighter in the past and Wade asked Mario to lose some weight...So put two and two together...

I do agree that he'd be a better SOLB, but I don't agree that having him at WOLB would be a dissapointment. I think his skills against the run would be better served on the strong side, but I don't think he's so awful as a past rusher that he'd completely suck on the weakside.
If you don't like Mercilous as a pass rusher on the Weak side you won't like Montgomery. Montgomery is better then mercilous in one area and that is strength.

You don't like Brooks Reed as a pass rusher and he's better at everything then Montgomery.

The rush LB spot in this defense has to be dominate at rushing the passer. Last year we were terrible at both spots rushing the passer.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #83
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't like Mercilous as a pass rusher on the Weak side you won't like Montgomery. Montgomery is better then mercilous in one area and that is strength.

You don't like Brooks Reed as a pass rusher and he's better at everything then Montgomery.

The rush LB spot in this defense has to be dominate at rushing the passer. Last year we were terrible at both spots rushing the passer.
That's why Montgomery is better over the TE where he can use his strength against the run game and his sacks will come in clean up where his motor takes over.

Williams is the rush linebacker to watch, I think. He's got the speed to do what Mercilus was expected to do.

I think we're going to see Reed and Montgomery used in a situational rotation at the SAM and Mercilus and Williams in a rotation as the Rush LB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #84
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just disagree with your analysis.

I think Reed may currently be better because of his experience and well..He doesn't suck. He's solid, but I don't think he's really good.

I think Montgomery is more talented and plays strong. And he's also more aggressive on the filed IMHO.

And you don't have to be "dominant" at the WOLB position at rushing the passer. you just have to be disruptive. I think Montgomery could do that in the future. I wouldn't expect him to come in as a rookie and be that guy, but I think in spurts there as a rookie he could be effective. When he knows it's a pass he can get after the QB. Same with Trevardo except their pass rushing ability is about as opposite as can be.

Like I said...I think he's better suited on the strong side, but I think he could play the weakside if needed.
Old 05-03-2013   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you read Mike Mayock's assessment, you'd know why Montgomery often seemed to be the last one off the ball.

Unless they wanted him to rush the pass rusher (obvious passing situation), the coaches wanted him to key off his blocker (and not the ball).

I'm pretty sure this was done in order for him to read run or pass before he gets off the line.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #86
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Where else is he going to play then? He is not built to play in space where Reed is and the other option is WOLB, which is where our 2012 1st round pick is currently.

Look at the man. He is 6'6 260, his measurables are not that far off from Smith. Just watching him he looks like he is a monster that will only get more bulk and gutt as opposed to an athletic freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I just see him with his hand in the dirt type of player.
He'll have his hand in the dirt on passing downs, just like Barwin, Brooks, Merci, & even Mario did.
Old 05-03-2013   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
T
I honestly think they drafted two olb's because they realized that their edge players were sub par. Reed and merciless need to show major improvement this year or I'd rotate some other guys in there. We can't have such pathetic pressure from the edges again this season.

I'm looking for both of the rookies we drafted to be involved in the pas rush this year because frankly I don't think the incumbents will do enough in passing situations to keep them off the field.
Agreed, but I don't think we're just talking about rotation players. I think there will be competition & I won't be surprised if one of these two will be starting week 1. Brooks & Whitney have been put on notice.

Travardo probably couldn't start for most teams, but if Wade wants a guy who will rush the passer on every down.... why not? Like you said, Merci hasn't shown us squat either.
Old 05-04-2013   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I rewatched the Florida game last night.
Sometimes in the second quarter, I noticed Montgomery playing with his hands off the dirt as an OLB in the 52.

I did not go back to the beginning, but from that moment on, I counted at least 4 times that he was at OLB; the play went away from him each time.

Also, I noticed him jamming the TE and followed him to the flat on one play as the 43 SDE.
It was a run play to the weak side, away from Montgomery.
The Gators just used the TE to draw him away from the play.
At least, we know that he was able to stay close to the TE in short distance on that play.
Old 05-06-2013   #89
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone following Sam on Twitter? I have found it difficult to understand most of his tweets. A lot of random comments
Old 05-06-2013   #90
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's why Montgomery is better over the TE where he can use his strength against the run game and his sacks will come in clean up where his motor takes over.

Williams is the rush linebacker to watch, I think. He's got the speed to do what Mercilus was expected to do.

I think we're going to see Reed and Montgomery used in a situational rotation at the SAM and Mercilus and Williams in a rotation as the Rush LB.

With the drafting of these 2 rush guys early, I think Wade had an eye on versatility and wants to cut down on rotations seeing as how NE had our defensive personnel looking confused and silly on more than 1 occasion in 2 separate games last year.....largely b/c of guys rotating in attempting to match personnel packages.

I think there will be an early rotation at SAM between Williams and Montgomery (i think Mercilus is a lock to start at the other) and the winner of that in preseason will get the nod for the rest of the season. I suspect Montgomery will win this competition b/c of how stout he is against the run.

This way, Wade gets all of his best pass rushers on the field. & with the athleticism all of these guys possess, he won't be forced to sub too much when teams run no huddle, spread and dual TE packages as all of these guys who could potentially be asked to cover are athletic enough to pull it off.

Reed won't be involved in any rotation b/c he'll be kicked inside.....they supposedly already have tape of him playing mlb last year and apparently they must feel comfy with him in that role b/c they haven't exactly ruled it out when reporters ask about it. I think they'll just give him the benefit of the doubt and lean heavily on the reasoning that injuries limited his progression as a pass rusher last year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Watching more game tapes of Montgomery, I saw more occasions with him as a stand-up 52 OLB.

A few occasions when he dropped into the hook/curl zone in coverage.

A saw a couple nice spin moves (much improved from the 2011 version).

Overall, he sets the edge well.

Even though he did play some at 34DE, I agree with Rey and those who see him more like an edge guy for the reasons mentioned above and in other posts.

Oh, and he also shows the smoothness in the ability to dip his shoulder to bend around the edge.
When the Texans let him go all out in pass rush mode, instead of keying off the blockers like he was often asked to do at LSU, this should show up more.

Last edited by 76Texan; 05-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2013   #92
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Anyone following Sam on Twitter? I have found it difficult to understand most of his tweets. A lot of random comments
See what I mean. Anybody know what this means? lol

Quote:
Sonic Sam Montgomery ‏@Sonic99_SC 2h
I'm golden call me goldy I want let no one hold me I'm a young man but a OG about to turn me into the old me ��♠�� ��⚡�� Turn Up and Work �� Grr
Old 05-06-2013   #93
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those odd characters are probably icons from an app like Emoji (iphone alternate keyboard). When sent out to non-iphones it returns garbled characters like that. I didn't confirm it, but that's my hunch.
Old 05-06-2013   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm golden call me goldy I want let no one hold me I'm a young man but a OG about to turn me into the old me ��♠�� ��⚡�� Turn Up and Work

I'll translate...

He's calling himself golden. Meaning he's untouchable...or top shelf...of cream of the crop...

"want" should be won't. He won't let anyone hold him..."down" or "back" is implied...

He's a young man, but he's an Original Gangster....Basically meaning, yeah I'm a rookie...I'm young...but I've been doing this for a long time.

Turn me into the old me is just him talking shyt...Meaning he's gotten more sophisticated over the years but he might have to go back to his barbaric ways of the past.

Turn up basically means be there and be hype. Go hard. and work means work. Grind.

So altogether it translates something like this:

I'm untouchable. You should call me Mr. Untouchable. I won't let anyone hold me back. Yes I'm young but I have a lot of experience. I'm about to lose my sophisticated ways and turn back into the beast I used to be. Show up hyped up and work.
Old 05-06-2013   #95
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I'm golden call me goldy I want let no one hold me I'm a young man but a OG about to turn me into the old me ��♠�� ��⚡�� Turn Up and Work

I'll translate...

He's calling himself golden. Meaning he's untouchable...or top shelf...of cream of the crop...

"want" should be won't. He won't let anyone hold him..."down" or "back" is implied...

He's a young man, but he's an Original Gangster....Basically meaning, yeah I'm a rookie...I'm young...but I've been doing this for a long time.

Turn me into the old me is just him talking shyt...Meaning he's gotten more sophisticated over the years but he might have to go back to his barbaric ways of the past.

Turn up basically means be there and be hype. Go hard. and work means work. Grind.

I'm untouchable. You should call me Mr. Untouchable. I won't let anyone hold me back. Yes I'm young but I have a lot of experience. I'm about to lose my sophisticated ways and turn back into the beast I used to be. Show up hyped up and work.
Damn
Old 05-06-2013   #96
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'll translate...

+rep
Old 05-06-2013   #97
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

+rep
LOL...

I was actually thinking about that when I was replying...

I was waiting for someone to post that...
Old 05-06-2013   #98
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
LOL...

I was actually thinking about that when I was replying...

I was waiting for someone to post that...
I love Airplane!, one of the best scenes in it...

http://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=59s
Old 05-06-2013   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

He sure sounds like a different kind of an Arian Foster.
Old 05-06-2013   #100
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I love Airplane!, one of the best scenes in it...

http://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=59s
One of the funniest movies of our age.

I love how at the end when he keeps coming in and saying, "We're all counting on you" Says it like 5 times, even after the plane has already landed. The little things in the movie is what makes it so funny.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read