Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2013   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
He is quick of the snap for a guy who weighs 330. Not as quick as Sylvester Williams but quick for a NT. I think he would have a good compliment to Mitchell. He would have also rarely been double teamed due to teams focusing on Watt. He is huge and can shoot a gap. I think he would have helped us in the run game. He was getting double teamed a lot in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYZmz-TADc
I've watched Hughes and I wasn't impressed. He does nome nice things, but I think he's going to struggle big time in the NFL because his technique is bad and he doesn't play very strong.

I don't see any exceptional quickness either.

I would expect a guy like that to dominate the competition he was going against...especially at that position. I didn't see it. He fit right in with those guys.

We can agree to disagree on Hughes, no biggie.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #62
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully he sucks, Colts drafted him.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Texans are gambling. They know what game results were with what they had.Add a hopeful 16 games from Cushing & expect Mitchell to continue 2013 how he ended 2012. Perhaps one of the back up NTs will shine or even the rookie. I was hopeful an ILB would have been taken in lower rounds. I'm going to watch Louis Nix Notre Dame nose and Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky LB and San Jose State QB David Fales this season.
Old 05-03-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I would have drafted both Jones and Hughes and put Jones on the practice squad until Antonio Smith is not with the team. I think Smith will be a cap casualty in a year or two.
Just to help me get my terminology straight.

If we release Antonio Smith before the start of the 2013 season, he will be considered a cap casualty. If he signs a contract somewhere else, $3M+, we might get a compensatory pick for him.

If we do not resign Antonio after the 2013 season, would we consider him a cap casualty?

Mario, Barwin, Dressen, Briesel, & Pollard weren't "cap casualties because they weren't cut or released. They were free agents we didn't sign.

Demeco (even though he was traded), Winston, Jacoby, & Walter were all cap casualties, since they were under contract & released (or traded) to provide cap relief.

Is that how y'all see it?
Old 05-03-2013   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, first of all, the Texans has some $2.4M cap rollover from last year, so they had at least that much money to spend last year if they chose to do so.

As far as the players, we have to consider their individual case, and also add to it the overall impact of all the different moves during the off-season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario was definitely a cap casualty.
There was no way that the Texans can retain him, unless they restructured a whole bunch of contracts and push the deficit onto later years.
Or they would have to cut other guys with high cap space (Antonio for example).

Dreessen's new contract with the Broncos only took up $1.833M in cap space last year, so they could have resigned him if they wanted to (along the way, they probably cut a receiver who earned little just to make room on the roster, or any player really, from Barrett Rudd to Alan Ball to Shilo Keo - they may make little like in the $400-600K range; minimum guys.)

They would still be about a Mil under the cap.

If they feel comfortable without Dreessen, they can opt not to resign him so that they have the room to sign another player. In this case, it would be a cap relief.
You release some money at one position in order to sign another player at a different position.
Old 05-03-2013   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Dreessen's new contract with the Broncos only took up $1.833M in cap space last year, so they could have resigned him if they wanted to (along the way, they probably cut a receiver who earned little just to make room on the roster, or any player really, from Barrett Rudd to Alan Ball to Shilo Keo - they may make little like in the $400-600K range; minimum guys.)
Just a note but there's more to it than money.

Dreessen is from Colorado. I think he gave the Broncos an extra home-town discount in order to play with Manning.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Regardless, the Texans had enough cap space to resign Dreeseen if they wanted to, even if they had to pay more than the Broncos.

Now onto Winston's case.
Ryan Harris probably earned between $600-800K last year, let's say $700K.
That and the $2.4M remaining cap space totaled to some $3.1M

Winston would have counted some $4.5M, which the Texans didn't have.
In order to keep him, they would have to restructure one contract, which is doable, without hurting too much long term.
But releasing Winston helped save the cap space that they can roll over to this year.

We can look at Winston as both cap casualty and cap relief, both short term and long term.
Old 05-03-2013   #69
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 57187 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to say that I am worried with what we are going into the season with as of now at the NT position. IMO Earl Mitchell and our 6th round pick, Chris Jones, are not going to be able to do too good of a job at stopping the run. At least we will have 2 big ILB if Brooks Reed moves inside. If I was Rick Smith I would have drafted Montori Hughes (NT Tennessee-Martin) instead of Sam Montgomery and then drafted Ty Powell (OLB Harding) in the 6th. Can't really see Montgomery doing it in coverage, hope I'm wrong.

On a side note I would have liked to see us pick up Keith Pough (ILB Howard) and Jasper Collins (WR Mount Union).

What do you guys think?
Im not worried, our 3rd S, 2nd ILB and 3rd CB got more snaps than our NT position last season. You would be surprised how little we have a true NT on the field. Safety is much more of a concern and it was addressed.
Old 05-03-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Resigning Dreessen was very doable; however, it doesn't make very good sense when you have Graham waiting in the wing.

He cost less than $700K last year, and not much more this year.
It was just time for Dreessen to part way with the Texans.

Last edited by 76Texan; 05-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2013   #71
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Im not worried, our 3rd S, 2nd ILB and 3rd CB got more snaps than our NT position last season. You would be surprised how little we have a true NT on the field. Safety is much more of a concern and it was addressed.
Totally agree. I don't see what the fuss is about really. I assume it's just because we don't have a 330 lb guy in the middle. Mitchell played well last year and Cushing will be back this year. That alone improves the rush defense.

The real issues were Safety play and the non-Watt pass rush. And that's what we addressed in the draft.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Mike Brisiel signed a 5-yr contract worths $20M, or $4M per.

It didn't matter how friendly the cap space can be worked out for 2012; you just don't want to put that much on your credit card.

It doesn't matter what you want to call it; it wasn't doable.
Period.
Old 05-03-2013   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just to help me get my terminology straight.

If we release Antonio Smith before the start of the 2013 season, he will be considered a cap casualty. If he signs a contract somewhere else, $3M+, we might get a compensatory pick for him.
OK if you want to get your terminology straight never mix into any conversation ever again the terms cap casualty and compensatory picks.

Compensatory picks are determined solely on free agents, i.e. players whose contracts expire according to their terms rather than are waived/cut.

Cap casualty is a meaningless term as far as the league is concerned and basically is reserved for fan conjecture on why the team cut/waived someone or didn't offer more to re-sign them.
Old 05-03-2013   #74
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Resigning Brisiel was very doable; however, it doesn't make very good sense when you have Graham waiting in the wing.

He cost less than $700K last year, and not much more this year.
It was just time for Dreessen to part way with the Texans.
edit

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
edit
Haha, thanks for catching it!

It wasn't a grammatical error, just a name mix-up when you're talking about too many guys.

I changed it!
Old 05-03-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Cap casualty is a meaningless term as far as the league is concerned and basically is reserved for fan conjecture on why the team cut/waived someone or didn't offer more to re-sign them.
So you would call...... well not you since you aren't prone to conjecture, but you would understand a "cap casualty" to refer to a FA a team elected not to resign, given the proper context?
Old 05-04-2013   #77
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you would call...... well not you since you aren't prone to conjecture, but you would understand a "cap casualty" to refer to a FA a team elected not to resign, given the proper context?
I would reserve the term "cap casualty" for a player cut ... Like Winston last season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #78
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He missed 1 workout. ONE.

So Les Miles put him on blast for missing one workout, no.

He won't be asked to hold up in coverage. You think you know how to use Montgomery better than Wade and Herring do? Really? His job is to jam the hell out of the TE, to read run or pass and then stuff the run or get after the QB. He might be asked to play some zone but coverage is not his purpose.

IMO good teams, like the Patriots, will find a way to exploit him.

Montori Hughes started off at the University of Tennessee and was suspended multiple times and ultimately dismissed.

Link

And something from your own link:

Montori Hughes is a lazier and much less athletic version of Travis Johnson. He's got danger flags all over him.

Sam Montgomery is a high motor player. The games he "took off" were games where LSU won by more than 30 points. He played his best in the higher pressure games.

Would have liked to see us draft a player who does not take off large chunks of games, important or not. Hopefully he can turn into a high motor player who goes all out on every play but I doubt it. I think that this is something that he has done for a while now and these types of habits are hard to break. Difficult to go from taking games off, something he has probably done since high school, and turn into a player who gives effort on every play.

I know about Montori Hughes. He also has work ethic issues but he does not take games off. I think he would have been a better pick because he can shoot a gap and has shown the ability to command a double team, something that any team needs. Sam Montgomery does not fit our system. He is not athletic enough to play outside in a 3-4. He is a 4-3 end. Honestly I am tired of going back and forth on this issue so lets just agree to disagree. We will see in time how both players develop. Hopefully I am wrong and Sam Montgomery develops into a pass rushing demon who can cover half as good as Connor Barwin or Brooks Reed.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 05-04-2013 at 12:16 PM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #79
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Les Miles didn't put him on blast.

A strength and conditioning coach posted that sign because he missed a class. "A" as in "one".

And your whole point about him being a guy, like Mario, who likes to take plays off is bull. He's a high-motor guy. Here's a quote from one of your sources for Montori Hughes:

NFL.com
Quote:
Montgomery has some limitations as a pass rusher, but is a high motor player who holds his ground well against the run and constantly making tackles in pursuit. He figures to go on the second day of the NFL draft, projecting to a second or early third round pick
Montgomery doesn't have an eighth of the character concerns that Montori Hughes has. Montori Hughes was:
1) Suspended for a game because of academic issues
2) Suspended again, from what I can tell, for unspecified reasons.
3) Involved in a brawl in a bar that left a police officer injured but he was not charged.
4) Involved in an incident in the dorm rooms of his college.
5) Kicked off the team by his coach.
6) Has a questionable motor.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #80
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Totally agree. I don't see what the fuss is about really. I assume it's just because we don't have a 330 lb guy in the middle. Mitchell played well last year and Cushing will be back this year. That alone improves the rush defense.

The real issues were Safety play and the non-Watt pass rush. And that's what we addressed in the draft.
What the fuss is about is advancing in the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl.

Offensively, you attack sub-defenses by going into a hurry-up offense and not giving your opponent time to substitute, creating mis-matches. We have to be able to defeat elite teams by staying in our base defense much more and not depending on the sub-defenses.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read